2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

It just me or are a lot of pros switching to Nippon Iron Shafts?

aswo3332

I stated before that I had my TM MB's shafted with s300 noodles. I must say that they were a good feeling shaft but I would question my swing all the time after executing a shot but the results were 15-20 yard draws. This happened most frequently with my 8-P irons.

Finally look a leap of faith through threads like this and people's opinion and found affordable pulls of 130x.

Results

2 days ago upon picking them up I immediately took my P to the simulator to see initial thoughts. Previously I was never, ever, ever, and I mean ever! Able to get my dispersion tight. I hit 10 shots and ever single one was a 2-3 yard baby draw with same flight and distance. I had a smile on my face from ear to ear. The feel of these were a pleasant surprise. I've had a set with x100 and the feel was a bit harsh.

Played 18 holes yesterday and again, very weird for me to see my iron shots straight. I'm still getting use to my longer irons with these shafts but overall it's been a real positive equipment purchase that seems small but I can already tell will be the best purchase I make all year on equipment!

Thank you WRX and the fine people at Nippon. I'm going to go to the range now.

EDIT: now I need to find the perfect wedge shaft.

I stated before that I had my TM MB's shafted with s300 noodles. I must say that they were a good feeling shaft but I would question my swing all the time after executing a shot but the results were 15-20 yard draws. This happened most frequently with my 8-P irons.

Finally look a leap of faith through threads like this and people's opinion and found affordable pulls of 130x.

Results

2 days ago upon picking them up I immediately took my P to the simulator to see initial thoughts. Previously I was never, ever, ever, and I mean ever! Able to get my dispersion tight. I hit 10 shots and ever single one was a 2-3 yard baby draw with same flight and distance. I had a smile on my face from ear to ear. The feel of these were a pleasant surprise. I've had a set with x100 and the feel was a bit harsh.

Played 18 holes yesterday and again, very weird for me to see my iron shots straight. I'm still getting use to my longer irons with these shafts but overall it's been a real positive equipment purchase that seems small but I can already tell will be the best purchase I make all year on equipment!

The 130 matches up quite nicely in the wedges from what I am experiencing.

Results

The 130 matches up quite nicely in the wedges from what I am experiencing.

I asking a members opinion who did the same and it would seem that it would be a good fit. I was hesitant at first as I've never had anything besides the stock wedge shafts in them. I'll probably try 1 wedge and if it works out and do the other 2.

Myself I have a set of Apex cf16 coming in with modus 3 130 stiff but got the sand wedge already and can say this honestly, I have DG s300 in my Mizuno's and I was looking for the Apex sand wedge with the Nippon to go 115 and today in windy 39 degree weather and went what expected plus the feel OMG, I only hit the club twice today but both times right distance and I did not even feel the ball come off the face, was like hitting marshmallows, hope you have same experience I had.

I forgot to add I've never had the trajectory that I got on this club so I guess it's true about how high they hit really made the ball sit down

Playing the 105s in my iron set 5-AW, wondering if I should go 105 or 115 wedge shaft in 54&58.....currently playing DGs200 in my wedges, want better feel.

Rogue 10.5* GDIZ 55s
Rogue 17* GDIZ 75s
Titleist H1 3H GDDI 85s
PXG GEN6 0311P 5-GW Aerotech SteelFiber Private Reserve 110S
Vokey SM6 54-S, 58-M NS Pro Modus 105S
Toulon Austin Stroke Lab 34" Putter Pistol Grip

Chrome Soft/ProV1 

Playing the 105s in my iron set 5-AW, wondering if I should go 105 or 115 wedge shaft in 54&58.....currently playing DGs200 in my wedges, want better feel.

Modus 125 wedge shaft is very similar to S200 Wedge, and a touch smoother. I play 125 in my 54, and S200 in my 58. If going lighter, you can try the 115 wedge shaft.

Have Fun - Ready Golf - Repair Divots/Marks - FORE

Modus 125 wedge shaft is very similar to S200 Wedge, and a touch smoother. I play 125 in my 54, and S200 in my 58. If going lighter, you can try the 115 wedge shaft.

Yes worried about the weight, tried the 125 and thought I lost distance on full shots in a 56*. Going to try the 115 in the 54 and see how that works out.

Rogue 10.5* GDIZ 55s
Rogue 17* GDIZ 75s
Titleist H1 3H GDDI 85s
PXG GEN6 0311P 5-GW Aerotech SteelFiber Private Reserve 110S
Vokey SM6 54-S, 58-M NS Pro Modus 105S
Toulon Austin Stroke Lab 34" Putter Pistol Grip

Chrome Soft/ProV1 

Hey guys I have some questions regarding Nippon shafts. They give some recommendations for the modus and release in the swing. They say the 120 which is soft butt would be good for an early release, which I find odd. I like soft butt, tip stiff shafts in my woods but didn't think I had an early release. Maybe woods and irons are different?

Also what kind of swing or release would the 1150's work well with?

Anyone played the 105x hard stepped? If so did it cut down spin compared to a 105x straight in? How would this compare to a PX 6.0 or 6.5?

Callaway Paradym TD 8*/HZRDUS GEN4 Black Limited Edition 60TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

Anyone played the 105x hard stepped? If so did it cut down spin compared to a 105x straight in? How would this compare to a PX 6.0 or 6.5?

I tried to love the 105x hard stepped, but could not. Way too much spin and too many shots to the left. This is based on my swing. I would say they compare closer to the PX 6.0 than the 6.5.

I personally don't think the 105 compares at all to the PX 6.0 or 6.5.

The 105 is a very smooth shaft that is easily over loaded. I usually tell people if they normally play a R-Flex then try the 105S and if you normally play a S-Flex then try the 105X. If you normally play a X-Stiff then your tempo better be smooth or your dispersion is going to be affected. This isn't the case with all players but usually a fast swing speed with a fast tempo don't mix well with the 105.

I personally think the 105 is one of the smoothest, nicest feeling steel shafts ever crafted.

Over 2.5 years on the Tour Equipment page, and this gets moved? At least let's sticky it....

They must have just been tried of seeing it on page 1. The DG AMT thread is still in tour / pre-release and going strong even though those shafts have come retail for a while now.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

I personally don't think the 105 compares at all to the PX 6.0 or 6.5.

The 105 is a very smooth shaft that is easily over loaded. I usually tell people if they normally play a R-Flex then try the 105S and if you normally play a S-Flex then try the 105X. If you normally play a X-Stiff then your tempo better be smooth or your dispersion is going to be affected. This isn't the case with all players but usually a fast swing speed with a fast tempo don't mix well with the 105.

I personally think the 105 is one of the smoothest, nicest feeling steel shafts ever crafted.

smoothest, nicest, perfect

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

Anyone playing or have played the 120x hard stepped 1x?

If so, what is/was your thoughts about it?

I'd go to the TX first. The tips in the 120 profile are already stiff, hard stepping probably won't do much, going to the TX would be better if you are wanting to go stiffer or less spin than 120x....

I would like to do that, but the problem is that I'm about to order a new set of irons and afaik no manufacturer offers the 120TX as a custom option?

Over 2.5 years on the Tour Equipment page, and this gets moved? At least let's sticky it....

They must have just been tried of seeing it on page 1. The DG AMT thread is still in tour / pre-release and going strong even though those shafts have come retail for a while now.

Agreed

How did that happen?

It was perfect there

What a shame

Someone...should complain

Hey guys I have some questions regarding Nippon shafts. They give some recommendations for the modus and release in the swing. They say the 120 which is soft butt would be good for an early release, which I find odd. I like soft butt, tip stiff shafts in my woods but didn't think I had an early release. Maybe woods and irons are different?

Anybody?

^ +1

Doesn't seem to make sense... lots of late release players enjoy butt soft / tip stiff driver shafts. Why any different in irons?

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

Anybody?

I have been using these since the first year in US. Rep at PGA show told me they were for late release players. Go figure.

"Only the lazy ones fail !" Paul Bertholy, PGA

www.dougferreri.com

Same here - been fitted into 120x a couple of times and I'm definitely not an early release guy.... any later and I'd be hitting the ball yesterday - so I'm another that doesn't really understand the perceived wisdom on these shafts

915 d3 - Veylix
Big Bertha - Kai'li
910h - GD Tour AD DI
Z765 - Modus 120
MD3 Wedges
Odyssey Works 1w

Last year when I was fitting for my staff 716 AP2's I had Scott Stallings 714 AP2's at my disposal and they had Proto ST X hard stepped once. The numbers on TrackMan were the best I've every seen. I wasn't looking for more ball speed but gained 2 mph with the Modus105 X HSx1 over my Modus120 X (played this for 4 years). Immediate reaction when I got my irons were they needed to be swung! Really had to go at them full and soft shots wanted to go left a bit (as much to do with me as it was the feel of the shaft). Played the last half of the season giving the Recoil Proto 110 F5 to help battle golfer's elbow and last month re-shafted with a new set of Modus105 X straight in... better feel and don't notice much difference in flight. Soft half shots go where I want too. My signature below show what I'm playing now... tried the Modus Wedge in the 115 and for the life of me couldn't get used to the feel. The DG S400's just have a balance throughout the shaft that I have yet to find anywhere else.

TSR3 9º Driver - Helium Black 5F5 @ 45.5”     

TSR2 15º Fwy - LinQ M40X Blue 7F5     

TSR2 18º Hyb  - Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F5
T200 #4 @ 1º Weak - Recoil Proto Utility 110F5

T100 #5-P - Modus 120X

SM10 Raw 50.12F @ 51º, 56.12D, 60.08M @ 61º - Mouds 120X
SeeMore Mini Giant Deep Flange - SuperStroke Flatso 1.0

Pro V1 - Yellow

I see Vijay plays the ST (105) as well. No idea about stepping.

The Nippon rep on tour told me that the Proto ST/Modus105 has been a bit of a surprise to them. Originally they wanted a shaft that could compete with performance shafts on tour but for guys that needed added length and VIOLA, its now in a lot more bags than you think! The Modus105 is now 50/50 as the #1 Nippon shaft on tour with the Modus120. I think we are starting to see more Modus105 labels with new club builds because the Proto ST is few and far between. Looked like the new MP4's that Vijay has in the bag this week have the new Modus105 shaft label, last week's 990 had the Proto ST label.

TSR3 9º Driver - Helium Black 5F5 @ 45.5”     

TSR2 15º Fwy - LinQ M40X Blue 7F5     

TSR2 18º Hyb  - Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F5
T200 #4 @ 1º Weak - Recoil Proto Utility 110F5

T100 #5-P - Modus 120X

SM10 Raw 50.12F @ 51º, 56.12D, 60.08M @ 61º - Mouds 120X
SeeMore Mini Giant Deep Flange - SuperStroke Flatso 1.0

Pro V1 - Yellow

Damn, every reply on here is about the 105-120-130, and I have some "test" 125's arriving today.

Does anyone play the 125? Isn't it supposed to be pretty much the same profile as 105, but heavier?

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

I see Vijay plays the ST (105) as well. No idea about stepping.

The Nippon rep on tour told me that the Proto ST/Modus105 has been a bit of a surprise to them. Originally they wanted a shaft that could compete with performance shafts on tour but for guys that needed added length and VIOLA, its now in a lot more bags than you think! The Modus105 is now 50/50 as the #1 Nippon shaft on tour with the Modus120. I think we are starting to see more Modus105 labels with new club builds because the Proto ST is few and far between. Looked like the new MP4's that Vijay has in the bag this week have the new Modus105 shaft label, last week's 990 had the Proto ST label.

If you read Golf Shaft Reviews review on the 105 it looks as if it's designed to actually launch lower the stiffer it gets. Which is the opposite of what most people seem to think. Ping even has it listed as a high launch shaft I believe. I hit it in a fitting Tuesday and it will be my next shaft. 3mph more club head speed, tighter dispersion but same spin and launch as everything else. Speed = more distance which I don't need but it's nice to have. And feel was >>>>>>> than anything else.

Callaway Paradym TD 8*/HZRDUS GEN4 Black Limited Edition 60TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

I was able to do the most inaccurate testing of all time yesterday so I could finally jump on the Nippon "feel" craze and see what it was all about. I am currently playing 714 AP2s with DGS300s and pondering some 120X or 125S or X. Unfortunately I was only able to try a Mizuno MP-25 6 Iron with a Modus 105S Shaft.

Initial thoughts: One of my big concerns was the difference in weight from the S300 to the 105. This totally disappeared after holding the club before the first few swings; it was light, but nothing extreme. I actually thought it felt pretty good, but in the end still a little too light for me. Tough to gauge for feel in the simulator, If I can recall I did feel a bit of a difference, but nothing too drastic; the 105 felt softer, but mainly in the mid section area compared to the S300.

Results: This was a bit disappointing. I haven't swung in months and definitely didn't have my swing with me. I feel this specific shaft isn't for me and I'll need something heavier and potentially stiffer? I only tried an S in this shaft. I was reading a few pages back about guys getting the shanks with this shaft, I had the same exact problem! Out of the 10-15 balls I hit with the club I had about 3-4 shanks, absolutely zero with the DG. I thought that was so weird. Depending on how accurate a Foresight launch monitor is I've determined I was swinging around 85-87 MPH. Which I thought was pretty low, I thought I swung much faster than that. Could determine my flex in the future.

I was only able to take data from 4 good swings with each club to determine some averages:

-swing speed, ball speed and distance were all lower with the Modus

-Launch angle and spin were very similar but slightly lower with the Modus (this is encouraging, could it be even better with a heavier, stiffer shaft?)

-Because of the shanks the dispersion was awful, but after removing those the dispersion was slightly better with Modus over DG.

This data intrigued me enough to continue my quest to find the right Nippon shaft. I still haven't gotten the real feel of it as I'm not hitting off grass but I think I now plan to just order 1 shaft and compare to see if it's worth the money to upgrade. I would say the 105S is NOT for me but the 120 or 125 could produce very different results, for better or worse.

4 swings indoors after having not swung a club in months is not enough. your handicap speaks for itself so i'm sure you know your swing and may be stiff (at least i am out the gate). are you able to take some and demo? my local edwin watts has a whole bay of clubs available to take with you to demo on the course or range and that's where i was set on the 105x over the 105s. my SS on a 6i was 89 (driver is 105) after about 15 swings of each. didn't get to try anything heavier since they only had 105s/x to demo but was sold on the 105x. loved the ball flight i got with them. i play stiff in my woods and X in irons/wedges (wedges are DGx100 8i shafts cut down).

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

4 swings indoors after having not swung a club in months is not enough. your handicap speaks for itself so i'm sure you know your swing and may be stiff (at least i am out the gate). are you able to take some and demo? my local edwin watts has a whole bay of clubs available to take with you to demo on the course or range and that's where i was set on the 105x over the 105s. my SS on a 6i was 89 (driver is 105) after about 15 swings of each. didn't get to try anything heavier since they only had 105s/x to demo but was sold on the 105x. loved the ball flight i got with them. i play stiff in my woods and X in irons/wedges (wedges are DGx100 8i shafts cut down).

I agree it wasn't enough. I was just so eager to try these Nippons I thought I'd hit whatever I can get my hands on, but this wasn't it. I guess because the 105 is so soft feeling most players elect to go with an X flex.

Were you able to try any of the other modus offerings at some point in time?