2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

J13's WITB: Update- FUJIKURA AXIOM

Are the new Cleveland Milled putters getting tested at all? I had a 4.5 in the original milled series and man that was a great putter! Felt great and was a fraction of the cost of other putters... so naturally I sold it in the search of something better... These new ones look great and probably feel even better with the deeper milling.

Titleist 910D3 9.5°
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Callaway ApexMB '18 4 - PW
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

Which golf ball is giving the XV a run for its money?

TM TP5/X

Are the new Cleveland Milled putters getting tested at all? I had a 4.5 in the original milled series and man that was a great putter! Felt great and was a fraction of the cost of other putters... so naturally I sold it in the search of something better... These new ones look great and probably feel even better with the deeper milling.

Cleveland makes a really nice putter for under a $100. Used to play a T Frame and loved it although sound wasn't the best. As for the deep milled putters I don't like them as much. Putts come off a little hot for me and I don't get the feedback I'm used to.

Slant neck backstryke with versa paint and Microhinge face. Add some hot melt and post the Trackman numbers please. ?

You forgot sight line ;)

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Ball Test update

TP5X vs TP5 vs Zstar XV

Don't want to get into a long drawn out explanation but after testing on course I'll be sticking with the Srixon Zstar XV. TM did a great job with the new ball but in the end I wasn't convinced it was right for me. I found the TP5X inconsistent distance wise and I had a harder time fighting it down on wedge shots which is an immediate no go. The Tp5 on the other hand is great off the wedges and short irons but felt it got a little spinny on the driver. I bet most PGA Tour guys are playing a ball that sits closer to the Tp5 then Tp5x especially with the firm greens. Anyway, what I like about the XV is it gives me low spin off the driver but gives me the ability to flight my wedges down and get just enough spin to check up. I'm not completely done with the TP5 due to the feel and how great it performed with my wedges so we'll see. I plan on doing a little more testing and if something changes I'll be sure to update.

If you take a look at the last two pics it sums up the 3 balls. These were 3 wedge shots from 112yds using a 50* wedge 3/4 shot that I want to keep low and hop 3 times and check. The ball closest to the pin on the right is the TP5 (yeah it's good), the ball on the green about 6ft past the pin in the XV, and the ball that skipped off the green is the TP5X (no Bueno). This is what I saw all day and pretty much sums it up.

Edel PROTO

I've tested a few balls recently including the TP5, TP5X, Pro-V1X, and Chrome Soft X but none of these could supplant the XV for my game.

My results were very similar to yours. I'll probably keep some Chrome Softs around for the cooler months.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6X

PXG Black Ops 15* - Ventus Velocore Red 7X

PXG  Gen3 3 Iron - Aldila RIP Phenom HYB 100 

PXG Gen5 0311T 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

You done any testing with the regular Z-Star? I like both the regular and the XV, having trouble figuring out which one actually performs better for me.

I haven't tried the regular Zstar. I have to say if I can lower my spin with the driver I might be moving to a higher spinning ball. Another noticeable difference between the TP5X and TP5 is ball flight. THe Tp5X just wants to go high and knuckle, IMO they focused too much on maximizing distance and not enough on distance control..

I've tested a few balls recently including the TP5, TP5X, Pro-V1X, and Chrome Soft X but none of these could supplant the XV for my game.

My results were very similar to yours. I'll probably keep some Chrome Softs around for the cooler months.

Chrome Soft X is a great offering

Edel PROTO

You done any testing with the regular Z-Star? I like both the regular and the XV, having trouble figuring out which one actually performs better for me.

I haven't tried the regular Zstar. I have to say if I can lower my spin with the driver I might be moving to a higher spinning ball. Another noticeable difference between the TP5X and TP5 is ball flight. THe Tp5X just wants to go high and knuckle, IMO they focused too much on maximizing distance and not enough on distance control..

Chrome Soft X is a great offering

CSX is really good too. I seem to be bouncing back and forth between CSX, Z-star and XV. I think the regular Z-star will probably be the one that wins out for me, but I would be happy playing any of the 3.

Corey I agree the Chrome soft X is a good ball but I got the XV's before they came out and have no reason to change unless something really stands out. I thought the TP5X had potential but it turns out the TP5 is the better ball. At some point in the next month or so I'll give the CSX another whirl.

Edel PROTO

I've been playing back and forth between the TP5X and the Z star XV. I've played through a box of each and I'm convinced both are better than the proV's. I like the feel of the Taylormade but the XV has more consistent iron distance, the right amount of wedge spin, and feels better in the wind.

I went in to the test wanting to like the Taylormade better but it's undeniable that XV is better for my game.

Good luck with the rest of your testing!

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

I've been playing back and forth between the TP5X and the Z star XV. I've played through a box of each and I'm convinced both are better than the proV's. I like the feel of the Taylormade but the XV has more consistent iron distance, the right amount of wedge spin, and feels better in the wind.

I went in to the test wanting to like the Taylormade better but it's undeniable that XV is better for my game.

Good luck with the rest of your testing!

Agree and thanks!

Edel PROTO

Bridgestone? Nobody playing?

I don't like the dimple in dimple look. Petty i know.

Edel PROTO

Perfectly said about the balls J..! I just keep giving the TP5 chances. I want it to be my gamer when in competition but just not sure yet. The Feel is great to me. Please email Tmag and tell them we want the TP5X that the tour guys are playing bc we know that are not playing the X they sell in the stores. ;)

• Qi10- Kai’li White 60TX
  • Stealth+ 19* - Atmos Red 8X
  • P790 3I - AD DI
  • P7MC 4-PW -  $ Taper
  • MG4 52 - 58 - $ Taper
  • GoodWood 
  • TP5X

using the tp5x currently - yet have had good success with ALL of the b330s dimples.... ;)

TP5X off the driver is great for me but my course is really firm and fast now (usually June -Sept) and I'm having a real hard time flighting down and get it to stop on 3/4 wedge shots. TP5 on the other hand checks up really well and I can flight it down more easily. THe Zstar XV is like if TM made a TP5 1/2 :D

XV is the best wind ball i've ever played and i still feel that way after testing the TM balls. I think the TP's are good in the wind but the XV doesn't move.

Edel PROTO

using the tp5x currently - yet have had good success with ALL of the b330s dimples.... ;)

XV is the best wind ball i've ever played...

Came here just to say that exact thing. BEST. EVER.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

Okay time to get back to putter testing after that little detour. Here's what I'm testing and have to say i like what i see although the weight might not work for me.

Roll is excellent, feel is great, and very easy to line up.

62f101c82f2de12c6e3cebff0591c863.jpga22426e54bfc148c83c87679bcc163aa.jpg27a037d97f58f25a6d23677ac4a768b3.jpg85f0e265466358c0cc5bd4b96dbbeae6.jpg

Edel PROTO

Very Ketsch'esque. It's triggering PTSD flashbacks of my short, and awful stint with a Ketsch. One of the darkest putting times of my golfing life.

Is that thing face balanced?

I tried the Ketsch and HATED it but this is very different. Has toe hang around 10-12*. Only thing I don't like it the weight and that's because I put on a light grip and it made the head to heavy. Might grab a SS grip with some counter balance.

Edel PROTO

Had a chance to play last night and rotated cs x and xv and for me the feel was much better on the cally ball. We had quite a bit of rain the night before and off irons it was I not brainer. I play mp5 irons. A tad bit more boring flight with XV and for me even lower than B330. None feel to me quite as soft as ProV putting wise and off irons. I also have yet to put the tp5 up against them so that is next for me. In general I think right now there are more great choices than even a few years back...so if you guys find a deal on a specific tour ball pull the trigger and give it a go!

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

Had a chance to play last night and rotated cs x and xv and for me the feel was much better on the cally ball. We had quite a bit of rain the night before and off irons it was I not brainer. I play mp5 irons. A tad bit more boring flight with XV and for me even lower than B330. None feel to me quite as soft as ProV putting wise and off irons. I also have yet to put the tp5 up against them so that is next for me. In general I think right now there are more great choices than even a few years back...so if you guys find a deal on a specific tour ball pull the trigger and give it a go!

Never hurts to try a new ball. So many good premium balls on the market.

Edel PROTO

TP5X off the driver is great for me but my course is really firm and fast now (usually June -Sept) and I'm having a real hard time flighting down and get it to stop on 3/4 wedge shots. TP5 on the other hand checks up really well and I can flight it down more easily. THe Zstar XV is like if TM made a TP5 1/2 :D

XV is the best wind ball i've ever played and i still feel that way after testing the TM balls. I think the TP's are good in the wind but the XV doesn't move.

This might be the truest thing I've ever read on the internet. The XV really slots between the 5 and 5X, best of both balls.

Edit: I took my 945's out today, and I will say the TP5x really came alive with blades, was able to flight it much better than previously with my T-MB's.

Titleist TSR4 10 w/Ventus TR Blue 7X
TM BRNR Mini 13.5 w/Ventus TR Blue 7X

Titleist TSR3 18 w/Fuji 9.2TS X or TM P760 3 w/HZRDUS Black 6.5 105
Artisan FC 4, Artisan HC 5&6, Artisan MB 7-PW (4 TI X100 120, 5-PW TI X100)
Artisan 51,55,60 (51 TI X100; 55,60 TI S400)
Artisan 0117 Slant Neck

I just went out this am and played 9 holes and hit every shot with the Z star and the Z star XV. I was with my son and we were waiting on the 4some in front of us, so I had time to test them head to head. Biggest difference I found was the feel. If you like a soft feeling ball, the Z star is for you. The Z star was softer, a little more spin off the driver and irons which resulted in a slightly shorter distance, maybe 3 yards difference with the irons and 8 yard difference with the driver. The XV is firmer, a little clicky off the putter, and alittle longer as previously described. When I hit a wedge 130 yards with both balls into the green, there really wasn't much difference and they ended up within a couple of yards of each other. My assessment was that the are both great golf balls and I could play either happily. The feel is probably the most significant difference and could lead someone towards one over the other.

LEFT HANDED

Callaway Paradym Smoke TD with Metaflex 5H shaft 
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

ER still in the bag?

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke MAX 10.5*  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T24 RAW 52/58 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

• J13 changed the title to J13's WITB: Update- FUJIKURA AXIOM