Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

I've posted a few questions over there and never get a response. I guess my questions are too strange for them :D

Anyways, lately I have been looking for a new project to take on and have missed some glorious sets of irons due to the time difference between here and across the world. I came across a very strange and unique set of Epons that I had never heard of. I ended up PM'ing Boomer on here. He appeared to have some strange facts about Epon in the past. Turns out, he had heard of the model name and offered a brief insight. Based on his brief insight, I decided to take the set on. Looking forward to their arrival, hopefully sometime later next week.

I cannot wrap my head around the dimple on the back of the hosel. I'm thinking these are circa 1985-89. IMO, great condition for their age.

Anyone want to take a guess on what the LW means on the back? It's also very strange to me

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

Ahhh, I think these are older than any played by anybody on that site. Technica was an Epon line from a while ago, but I didn’t realize how far back it went. The predecessor to the 301/302 was part of the Technica line. Anyways I like the shape. Weld fill those babies and they’ll be beautiful. Regarding the button, it almost looks like the shafts were pinned a la old Hogans. But unless there’s a depression drilled into the opposite side of the hosel, I don’t see how that would work.

I've posted a few questions over there and never get a response. I guess my questions are too strange for them :D

Anyone want to take a guess on what the LW means on the back? It's also very strange to me

i'll take a wild guess at this... I don't know if it applied to JDM equipment at all, but, I have heard of companies in the 80's making super light swing weight clubs. Finished SW was C7-9 maybe? So if they are from the right time period it might be "light weight". Like i said, wild guess that kinda fits the bill. If you end up taking them apart report back on head weights, PW should be somewhere in the 282-285 range i would think if they are light weight models.

they do have a nice shape to them

Bingo. Listed weight for a 37¼" 8i is C2. Epon Techina LW (light weight). Absolutely the most unique thing that caught my eye. The shaft is made by Epon (I assume to retain the weight) in an S flex.

And yes. I absolutely plan to disect these things and weigh the components down. However, I'll be hesitant to dive into this until I do some more research on this "pinned" shafts detail. I have never seen it before.

Bingo. Listed weight for a 37¼" 8i is C2. Epon Techina LW (light weight). Absolutely the most unique thing that caught my eye. The shaft is made by Epon (I assume to retain the weight) in an S flex.

And yes. I absolutely plan to disect these things and weigh the components down. However, I'll be hesitant to dive into this until I do some more research on this "pinned" shafts detail. I have never seen it before.

So it's not a set of 8 Lob Wedges, then? That was my guess...

Ah yes, the Featherweight craze... it was something born of Dave Pelz' company in the mid 80s. There appeared to be a couple levels, you could get swingweights in the B range, or the C range. And probably everywhere in between. <shrug>

Didn't last too long. :)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I’d be careful (as you said you’d be) before I took those apart. That probable pin looks hard to replace and is unique.

Where .... how.... in the world do you find all this stuff? You’re very close to being the chief blade nerd among a whole herd of blade nerds here.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

I’d be careful (as you said you’d be) before I took those apart. That probable pin looks hard to replace and is unique.

Where .... how.... in the world do you find all this stuff? You’re very close to being the chief blade nerd among a whole herd of blade nerds here.

The shafts are pinned after further research. Strange to me. I have never even heard of that. Pretty awesome concept. Epoxy has come a long way since then. Not sure if I'm going to repin them. Im not even sure how I'm going to take this project on. I'll know a little more when I get them and establish a plan. I may take them to the range first just to try them out.

I dropped off my spare set of '99 Ben Hogan blades (3-E) to The Iron Factory about 3 weeks back and was told late last week by Jim Kronus that the irons were ready to ship (stripped, buffed, grooves redone, rechromed, satin finish, original paint fill). I also have a set of unused DG X100 Tour Issue shafts that I will use for these blades. I am going to try double soft stepping to see how they turn out. Yes, I LOVE tinkering with golf clubs almost as playing golf. Now to get a gram scale and weigh the heads before shaft installation.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

I dropped off my spare set of '99 Ben Hogan blades (3-E) to The Iron Factory about 3 weeks back and was told late last week by Jim Kronus that the irons were ready to ship (stripped, buffed, grooves redone, rechromed, satin finish, original paint fill). I also have a set of unused DG X100 Tour Issue shafts that I will use for these blades. I am going to try double soft stepping to see how they turn out. Yes, I LOVE tinkering with golf clubs almost as playing golf. Now to get a gram scale and weigh the heads before shaft installation.

How much does a refinish job like that run if you don't mind me asking? I have a couple sets I'd like to have done.

How much does a refinish job like that run if you don't mind me asking? I have a couple sets I'd like to have done.

https://www.theironfactory.com/

418d6f59c377d6a35a8aaff93566d31b.png

Taylormade M4 tour 8.5*   Attas 4U 6X

Srixon Z H45  16*

Callaway Apex MB raw 4-PW  

Cleveland 588    52,60

Scotty Newport the art of putting

-----------------------------------------

The total was something like $350 for 8 clubs. If these blades weren't so outstanding I would not have done it but these are. A great blade is worth playing (which is why this thread exists!) :)

Those Hogans are going to look great! Any chance you went satin on the finish?

Yes, I went satin finish. I will post pictures later but they look outstanding!!!!!!!!!!

Now to get a gram scale to weigh the heads before assembling them this week.

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Here are pictures of my backup 1999 Apex blades. I won't mess with my primary set but am looking forward to working on these to get them into playing shape. The heads were refinished at The Iron Factory in Glendale, AZ. Jim Kronus did an outstanding job with these. These are chromed and satin finished.

I'd be careful (as you said you'd be) before I took those apart. That probable pin looks hard to replace and is unique.

Where .... how.... in the world do you find all this stuff? You're very close to being the chief blade nerd among a whole herd of blade nerds here.

The shafts are pinned after further research. Strange to me. I have never even heard of that. Pretty awesome concept. Epoxy has come a long way since then. Not sure if I'm going to repin them. Im not even sure how I'm going to take this project on. I'll know a little more when I get them and establish a plan. I may take them to the range first just to try them out.

I think it's unusual to see irons from the late Eighties with pinned heads. I had a set of Hogan irons from the mid-Eighties that were all pinned (they were Medallions rebadged as 35th or 40th anniversary irons for the Japanese market), and that surprised me as I've got older irons that are not pinned.

I'd be careful (as you said you'd be) before I took those apart. That probable pin looks hard to replace and is unique.

Where .... how.... in the world do you find all this stuff? You're very close to being the chief blade nerd among a whole herd of blade nerds here.

I think it's unusual to see irons from the late Eighties with pinned heads. I had a set of Hogan irons from the mid-Eighties that were all pinned (they were Medallions rebadged as 35th or 40th anniversary irons for the Japanese market), and that surprised me as I've got older irons that are not pinned.

It is. But the 1992 Austrailian's are pinned also. Rare to see that and I think it's mostly a cost issue. Labor to drill and pin each head has to add quite bit to wholesale cost and geez it's always about the bottom line, ain't it.

It is. But the 1992 Austrailian's are pinned also. Rare to see that and I think it's mostly a cost issue. Labor to drill and pin each head has to add quite bit to wholesale cost and geez it's always about the bottom line, ain't it.

The '92 Maxfli Australian blades are pinned? I've got a set, but I don't remember seeing a pin. They're at the new house at the moment, so I can't check straightaway, but I really need to scratch that itch now. As you say, pinning should drive up labour costs, but I thought the reason pinning went away was because epoxies improved.

The '92 Maxfli Australian blades are pinned? I've got a set, but I don't remember seeing a pin. They're at the new house at the moment, so I can't check straightaway, but I really need to scratch that itch now. As you say, pinning should drive up labour costs, but I thought the reason pinning went away was because epoxies improved.

Yeah, the ones I have are. Pretty sure they are epoxied too. I'm a machinist so I dig the pinning thing. Epoxy is tremendously strong but I got to think it stiffens the tip a bit to add a pin.

Yeah, the ones I have are. Pretty sure they are epoxied too. I'm a machinist so I dig the pinning thing. Epoxy is tremendously strong but I got to think it stiffens the tip a bit to add a pin.

I'll go check mine. Probably drop by there tomorrow with some boxes.

So pinning shafts was common practice up until the 80's? Nobody seems to know anything about those Epons. On their website they mentioned the launch of Epon Technicas in the early 80's but nothing specific. I see golfworks sells shaft pins but they're non metallic. May have to get creative if I want to keep the shafts and set semi original.

So pinning shafts was common practice up until the 80's? Nobody seems to know anything about those Epons. On their website they mentioned the launch of Epon Technicas in the early 80's but nothing specific. I see golfworks sells shaft pins but they're non metallic. May have to get creative if I want to keep the shafts and set semi original.

Well, I've got a set of RAM tour grinds from 1980 or so, and Titleist Tour Models from 79 or 80 back in the UK, and they're not pinned. I think it depended on the maker a bit.

As for what to do with them and how to go about it, there are quite a few folk on the Classic Clubs forum who can help you out. Some punch the pin out, some ream it out, and some use the power of their magnetic personalities to draw it out, but it seems there are a few options available to you (OK, I may have made some of that up).

Just as Catchy posted, I've had quite a few sets from that time with no pins. Though, it's worth noting the FG17s had threaded hostels, which accomplished the same effect.

And, I've also had Palmer Original Standards, which were offered from 87 thru 95 or so, and were pinned.

So.... yeah. LOL

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Well, I've got a set of RAM tour grinds from 1980 or so, and Titleist Tour Models from 79 or 80 back in the UK, and they're not pinned. I think it depended on the maker a bit.

As for what to do with them and how to go about it, there are quite a few folk on the Classic Clubs forum who can help you out. Some punch the pin out, some ream it out, and some use the power of their magnetic personalities to draw it out, but it seems there are a few options available to you (OK, I may have made some of that up).

I actually posted a thread on the classics side and have no responses. The only response I have is about photos of my Macgregor's I did earlier this year. I will be going into this set completely blind. My only real fear is that they are stainless casted. That may sound silly, but that really limits what I can do to them. The pinned shafts are a little strange to me as well. This is all new to me. I just hope they are forged carbon.

I actually posted a thread on the classics side and have no responses. The only response I have is about photos of my Macgregor's I did earlier this year. I will be going into this set completely blind. My only real fear is that they are stainless casted. That may sound silly, but that really limits what I can do to them. The pinned shafts are a little strange to me as well. This is all new to me. I just hope they are forged carbon.

There may not be anyone who can help with the Epons, because they're mostly more into classic US equipment (and some into old UK stuff as well), but they should be able to offer advice on how to deal with the pin.

Anyway, I decided to have a look at the Japanese Epon site. It appears that the Technica brand actually started in 1981, which is as far back as their archives go.

Now, I found a possible entry for your Technica LW, but I can't be 100% sure as the entry seems truncated:

MARCUS PUTTER TECHNICA L..WEIGHT アイアン:軟鉄鍛造

I think it's Marcus Putter and Technica Light Weight iron. If so, you've got a set of forged irons, because the kanji at the end say "soft steel, forged". "Soft steel" (nantetsu) seems to mean steel with less than 0.02% carbon.

Thanks catch. You've put a big part of my concern to rest. I am not finding anything on these. In fact, the Technica Pro 1 irons are regarded as the precursor to the 302's which are held in high regard (obviously). Like I said, I'm going into these completely blind. I'll refinish them a bit, but I plan on using WMblake (unbeknownst to him) as a guinea pig on these. I may give them a look over, do a refrigerator, take some measurements on SW, loft, lie, all the typical measurements I can get, then hand them off to him before I start my process. At least by his accounts, I can get the most honest feedback possible as what can possibly be upgraded both by playability and appearance. Who knows, looking forward to this set due solely to the fact I can find nothing on them.

°°°edit, and as always. I plan to take you all along on this journey.