Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

So pinning shafts was common practice up until the 80's? Nobody seems to know anything about those Epons. On their website they mentioned the launch of Epon Technicas in the early 80's but nothing specific. I see golfworks sells shaft pins but they're non metallic. May have to get creative if I want to keep the shafts and set semi original.

Well, I've got a set of RAM tour grinds from 1980 or so, and Titleist Tour Models from 79 or 80 back in the UK, and they're not pinned. I think it depended on the maker a bit.

As for what to do with them and how to go about it, there are quite a few folk on the Classic Clubs forum who can help you out. Some punch the pin out, some ream it out, and some use the power of their magnetic personalities to draw it out, but it seems there are a few options available to you (OK, I may have made some of that up).

I actually posted a thread on the classics side and have no responses. The only response I have is about photos of my Macgregor's I did earlier this year. I will be going into this set completely blind. My only real fear is that they are stainless casted. That may sound silly, but that really limits what I can do to them. The pinned shafts are a little strange to me as well. This is all new to me. I just hope they are forged carbon.

In all likelihood they are forged carbon. Epon is the in house & retail end of Endo.

True. During their timeline, "technica" is their infancy model. Their debut. So I threw "endo" out the window. Although casting was also in it's infancy at the time period, I didn't want to negate that as a possibility. I wouldn't call these endo forged. If they are forged; all the better. Easier to refinish

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

Those Epons have a very similar sole and stamping to the Yamaha SX 25 (Sutton Grind). I always thought they were Miura forged, but now I wonder. Also, the Yamahas have pins. I have yet, to come across a Miura forging job for any OEM with pins.

Pins are interesting/annoying. I have two sets of Hogan Redlines and one set is pinned. They must have stopped pinning somewhere in the middle of their production between 87-89, or thereabouts.

So, Catchy, have you already moved into the new place? Right now, the inside of our place is being finished, though the kitchen has been put in... And, the outside will be started after that. I've managed to keep enough space in the back for a net and mat to go, so I will be able to pound balls to my heart's content.

As for the swing, I seemed to find something my last range session and I was really happy. I've been working on strength and flexibility all year and I was able to control the sequencing (of shoulder turn and right side firing) beautifully. I was trying to work out the top end of my bag and I started hitting long irons how I remember hitting them years ago. My 4-iron was flying 205-210 consistently with a mid-low draw and the 22UT, 18 degree 5W were also flying, so nicely. Occasionally they'd have the slightest push, but nothing more than 5 yards. On the courses I play in Japan, it almost makes driver redundant, but I was hitting that really well too.

The TN87 4 iron is the longest in my bag, and I picked up an olf Mizuno FLI-HI 24 degree 4I, to see how they compare, and I can see one day maybe changing out the blade. But, for the time being it stays. The feeling of smashing a bladed long iron is just too good and it keeps my swing disciplined through the bag.

Never seen a Miura with pins. I almost pulled the trigger on a technica set with fire express shafts as a 302 cheap try with sick shafts. Maybe good I didn’t.....

I never played in that scramble Friday, instead I was at an MRI center, can’t make this crap up, literally at a time I would have been hitting range balls I was laying in a tube. The weekend before last something happened in my back that was “different” and Sunday I almost went to hospital but was able to walk upright by about 3 with help of some drugs. I am still waiting on results(maybe today). My surgery was about 8 1/2 years ago, I know the disc above it was bulging at that time, but I have to say guys, I am pretty nervous about this one. I have been on steroids and that is sorta helping and I am “ok” since with that and other things(not taking opiates, not going there).

I don’t know, I am waiting to know before I speculate too much, but back shots and surgery again both sound pretty unappealing. Tiger has a lot more access to top doctors than me and it took him 4 tries. I wonder if this was expedited by my playing again, or if golf had nothing to do with it. Oddly I hadn’t played in months before this happened so I don’t know. Maybe my wife has been slipping Discs in my sleep to get the garage back? Lol......F&@k..........anyway, worse comes to worse I can still collect and use putters. Time on putting greens is more peaceful to me than playing anyway, but I am not thinking about it, maybe I will hear today.

So, Catchy, have you already moved into the new place? Right now, the inside of our place is being finished, though the kitchen has been put in... And, the outside will be started after that. I've managed to keep enough space in the back for a net and mat to go, so I will be able to pound balls to my heart's content.

Almost ready to move. Getting packed up here will be a big job, but we are moving the smaller stuff bit-by-bit. I have shifted most of my clubs to the new place. Even I was surprised by how many iron sets I have....

I may put a practice putting green (artificial turf) in the garden at some point.

Never seen a Miura with pins. I almost pulled the trigger on a technica set with fire express shafts as a 302 cheap try with sick shafts. Maybe good I didn't.....

I never played in that scramble Friday, instead I was at an MRI center, can't make this crap up, literally at a time I would have been hitting range balls I was laying in a tube. The weekend before last something happened in my back that was "different" and Sunday I almost went to hospital but was able to walk upright by about 3 with help of some drugs. I am still waiting on results(maybe today). My surgery was about 8 1/2 years ago, I know the disc above it was bulging at that time, but I have to say guys, I am pretty nervous about this one. I have been on steroids and that is sorta helping and I am "ok" since with that and other things(not taking opiates, not going there).

I don't know, I am waiting to know before I speculate too much, but back shots and surgery again both sound pretty unappealing. Tiger has a lot more access to top doctors than me and it took him 4 tries. I wonder if this was expedited by my playing again, or if golf had nothing to do with it. Oddly I hadn't played in months before this happened so I don't know. Maybe my wife has been slipping Discs in my sleep to get the garage back? Lol......F&@k..........anyway, worse comes to worse I can still collect and use putters. Time on putting greens is more peaceful to me than playing anyway, but I am not thinking about it, maybe I will hear today.

I hope the back problem is quickly resolved. I've had back surgery, and I think I got lucky with the surgeon, because it's not given me any major issues since. Ah, except one winter about 15 years ago. Longest walk to the hospital ever.

Never seen a Miura with pins. I almost pulled the trigger on a technica set with fire express shafts as a 302 cheap try with sick shafts. Maybe good I didn't.....

I never played in that scramble Friday, instead I was at an MRI center, can't make this crap up, literally at a time I would have been hitting range balls I was laying in a tube. The weekend before last something happened in my back that was "different" and Sunday I almost went to hospital but was able to walk upright by about 3 with help of some drugs. I am still waiting on results(maybe today). My surgery was about 8 1/2 years ago, I know the disc above it was bulging at that time, but I have to say guys, I am pretty nervous about this one. I have been on steroids and that is sorta helping and I am "ok" since with that and other things(not taking opiates, not going there).

I don't know, I am waiting to know before I speculate too much, but back shots and surgery again both sound pretty unappealing. Tiger has a lot more access to top doctors than me and it took him 4 tries. I wonder if this was expedited by my playing again, or if golf had nothing to do with it. Oddly I hadn't played in months before this happened so I don't know. Maybe my wife has been slipping Discs in my sleep to get the garage back? Lol......F&@k..........anyway, worse comes to worse I can still collect and use putters. Time on putting greens is more peaceful to me than playing anyway, but I am not thinking about it, maybe I will hear today.

Sorry to hear about the layup, be well and do well, hope you feel better and find a good path to recovery soon. -Bernie

Figuratively holding my breath for you, Biggie...

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Health is everything. Hope all is well, Bigmean.

The last few years, the chances I could get out, my back (more specifically my lower back, sciatic nerve) gave me so much trouble, I wondered if it was worth it to play. However this year I've really taken it on my self, nearing the age of 40, to get my body in better shape. And it's made so much difference. For one, I can get my body into better positions, so power comes more fluidly. And, the best part is I don't feel pain the next day. I remember one round last year, I had to stretch before every shot and my back swing was non-existent, I was literally playing senior golf.

This was one activity that really really helped to strengthen my back. I've gotten away from doing it lately, but I think it's good a few times a week.

Sending positive thoughts Biggie. Hope all goes better than expected.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

I read this last night and can't express enough sympathy Big. Hope everything works out. In a rare event, I took the day off today to golf. Although it wasn't a premier round, I did pour some out for our homie Big

I had a great day with my Masda fast blades and wedges, I just followed that up with terrible putting (painfully slow greens) and I was coming out in my back swing with the driver. Seemed my second shot was always a scramble from 2nd cut or rough on the left side.

Also. I came home to the Epon Technicas. So stoked how great they look. Cannot wait to get started with these.

Just thrifted a 3-pw set of these Goldwin Nick Price 57's. Anyone know what the stepped Brunswick FCM 6.5 is comparable to? They were ballooning on me, but that could be my bad swing.

TaZkaIBl.jpg

Yeah, slightly stiffer than DG S300 and yes it's your swing :)

They are one of my favorite shafts, I have 2 sets of them waiting for install, cannot decide on who gets them, 99 Apex? Mizuno TP2000?, Wilson FG? Or perhaps Maruman 41CX.

Give them a thorough test drive, FM Precision's are oldies but goodies.

Just thrifted a 3-pw set of these Goldwin Nick Price 57's. Anyone know what the stepped Brunswick FCM 6.5 is comparable to? They were ballooning on me, but that could be my bad swing.

TaZkaIBl.jpg

They are one of my favorite shafts, I have 2 sets of them waiting for install, cannot decide on who gets them, 99 Apex? Mizuno TP2000?, Wilson FG? Or perhaps Maruman 41CX.

I will give them a real test drive, this was shoeless joe style in the parent's back yard, with no warm up, wearing my office attire. I had never seen non-rifle Precision FCM's before. The clubs are pretty nice, feel like they are cast though since they are a bit harsher than my mac cobras and muirfield 20ths. If I get along with the shafts they will probably go in the muirfield 20ths, if they are the right hosel size.

TaZkaIBl.jpg

I will give them a real test drive, this was shoeless joe style in the parent's back yard, with no warm up, wearing my office attire. I had never seen non-rifle Precision FCM's before. The clubs are pretty nice, feel like they are cast though since they are a bit harsher than my mac cobras and muirfield 20ths. If I get along with the shafts they will probably go in the muirfield 20ths, if they are the right hosel size.

Aahh, Mac-Cobra's, your a man of good taste.........I was poking about the "your swing" thing, cause I had same issue as do with DG in general too. Needed a later release of hands to get full benefit of profile. But if you like S300's and Rifle's these are a great blend. Feel like S300's, plenty stout with slightly higher trajectory, that's my greater experience with them though I do have a Maruman w/ FM 6.5 and it's flat out the lowest launching #2 I've ever hit. but that might be more the head. Good luck.

Re Precision shafts....

My first set of Rams came with Precision 6.5. They're the first shafts from clan Braly, and the ancestor to the Rifle. They're not unlike the Rifle in that they have a stiffer butt section than DG, but a softer tip. 6.5 were considered stiff by some/many.

Back in those days, I felt I spun the Precisions a bit too much, I switched to DG, then eventually PX. I was a stronger swinger, back then, LOL.

I've got another set of Rams that came with Precision 6.5, I'm now able to play them just fine. A credible option for a DGS using sort of guy.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Is anyone here interested in getting their wedges or irons DLC coated? I'm looking to do a set or 2 but it looks like I have to buy the processing unit setup, so to offset the cost, I'm looking for more pieces to do. 30 pieces in PVD is $40/head and DLC is $50/head. If I can get more pieces (iron heads), the cost can go down. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Sorta late to this party but hate to hear this. Somewhere in my past i have injured my back but nothing like you have experienced. I do know I can not hit stiff shafted irons any more without back pain that night. Tried playing a set of newly acquired Nicklaus Muirfields with S-300s last week. Oh trust me I can still hit a S-300 but later on after playing I get stiff and hurt like crap. Never happens when I play the signature VIPs or my 1954 Precisions with regular shafts. Like I said what I am experiencing is a drop in the bucket compared to what you must be going through. Thoughts and prayers for your speedy and hopefully pain free recovery in the future. BTW I applaud you for your decision to stay away from opiates that my friend is one smart move

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Whenever really. If you have dings and knicks, the finish won't hide those. I'm going to do my Masda's and BB's. On both im just going to remove the chrome plate. On my Masda's, I'll sand back and buff any marks. Probably do glossy black DLC on the BB's and matte black on the Masda's. So, if anyone is interested, let me know. I can remove your chrome for you down to a nickel plate. Stainless folks need not apply :D

Has anyone re-shafted their blades with graphite? I was thinking about re-shafting my MP69s to try. I tend to like a lighter shaft because I can really feel the clubhead. Seems like it's a no-brainer, but am curious if anyone else has switched to graphite.

I did a few trials with my MP-18’s and Fujikura Pro 75’s. That was a very good combination but just a little too much height and spin. I’m not testing the SteelFibers in 70g and KBS TGI also in 70g.

I’m not a big fan of the SteelFibers. But it too worked well. I think I will being a more extensive test with the KBS TGI’s. The seem like the best blend of the three with the MP-18’s.

I finally received the Technica's. Relieved they are forged irons. I took them to work, drilled the pins out, then took them to the blasting cabinet to get a better look at their damage. Gotta say, they are in really good shape for their age. I will no doubt be welding in their pin holes as I cannot readily find steel pins for these nor do I feel like going through the process. Not sure how I am going to finish them yet, but I got the chrome off so I am dealing with just nickel plate and will go from there. They are lighter. These are the head weights with the chrome off:

PW--- 281g

9--- 269g

8--- 263g

7--- 254g

6--- 248g

5--- 240g

4--- 233g

3--- 227g

This is after they were bead blasted and before the chrome was removed.

And yeah, that top line is thin. One of the thinnest I have come across. This is top line and face comparison with a BB. Love their longer hosel.