2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

Quick follow-up to the previous post. I had a chance to check the loft and lie of the Mizuno Original 2i today. 

No wonder I was struggling with it. The lie was 56 degrees. For reference, I set the 3i (which is the same length as the 2i) at 60 degrees.

After bending it more upright, I was finding the sweet spot, but still need to change the shaft. FM 6.5 is a little too much for me in a long iron.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Spent a couple weeks, and several rounds, playing those Dual Length irons from Pinhawk that I mentioned earlier.  Decided to finish the season playing what I'm more accustomed to, put the Purefit 1020 blades back in my bag.  

Played a couple days ago, temperature was 40*F/5C at our tee time with an 8-10 mph wind from the northwest.  We went off on #10, which plays to the west.  First shot with irons, I'm hitting a 5i due to the cold, not being warmed up, and that breeze.  Hit a tiny little draw right at the flag.

I hadn't been seeing as much of that over the last couple weeks.  Boy did I miss them.  🙂

No, I didn't make the 15 footer for birdie.  LOL

I'd also brought along my two test 986 Tour clubheads, with Modus3 105 shafts.  I forced them into play a couple times, including some shots where I should have hit an extra club.  They're really quite sporty.  Lovely feel, and just love that set up with no offset.  

Supposed to be playing today, with high temp forecasted at 50F/10C, but the wind is supposed to pick up in the afternoon to 25 mph, with gusts to 40mph, if not more.  At least one of my group is considering not playing, but I may have to go, if only to get at least nine holes in before the wind goes to stupid levels.  I likely won't get much more in the way of chances this season.

I may take out my Ram TW282 set, though.  Haven't played them much this year.  Maybe even take the 1 iron out.  Oh my!

Edited by NRJyzr

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I track my stats on an app. Have gone from -1.6ish strokes gained approach relative to scratch to +1.5 strokes gained approach since changing from i200s to P7MBs. I am loving them. Love the look, the size, the thin soles, no offset. I just have a much better feel for where the club face is throughout the swing and I focus so much more on catching ball first with a negative angle of attack and compressing it. I also don’t understand combo sets. Have always loved bladed long irons. 

• Like 4

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

4 hours ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

I also don’t understand combo sets. Have always loved bladed long irons

I don't either. The MB long iron is an asset off the tee or from a good lie. Or from under trees, lol. Short par 4's, tight ones or doglegs, nothing better. Solid approach club on par 5's too.

Having really great success with old driver. MP 650. 10* w/ 76g shaft. Going deep into fairways. PXG tested shaft weights and Ian did better with 86g shaft over 45. He carries a 50g too.

Titles 681's are back in bag, just for fun, forgot how good they work for me.

Golf year was nothing special but nothing terrible too. Work has dominated my everyday for past year. I have had little time to enjoy the pursuit. Hope I can get back to that again,because playing "average" sucks. I need reps to play over my head, because I stink. A plus guy joined us this season, pretty impressive and fun. Has great ball speed but his distance control is crazy good. Can stiff it from anywhere.

• Like 1

I will say I try to max out #5i and #4i in practice & play. Use a #3i sparingly. Maybe 3X a round. Long irons need reps. They are a bit their own thing. I work to #4i  a lot but not #3i and never #2i. Gapping needs to be real down there. Comfortable getting full pop w/ 4i off deck and 3i off tee.  If conditions are right will use a 3i over a 5w all day. Still higher percentage play for me. But I'm weak with lofted fairways, always been.

Also depends on type of course or even conditions. Dry and windy, iron, soggy and soft, metal. Play a course that demands a money 225 shot, carry three clubs that can cover that yet I have not nailed that down.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

MB long irons....fun to hit well playing well, but a disaster zone if not.

I've worked on my long iron play a lot this year, and have bagged my MP4 4i instead of my #4 Fli-hi a few times. I've even had some good results with it. BUT, the Fli-hi lets me get away with more.

When I play persimmon and blades, I bag a 1i or 2i for fun. For me, I have to say hitting a one-iron is NOT a smart play, but I still do it for fun and hope I can hit a shot for the memory bank.

Two-irons, on the other hand, aren't so bad. Hit a good one just yesterday off the tee on a tight par 4 which requires a lay up. Put me in the perfect spot to pitch on, and I went on to set up a birdie putt...which lipped out.

There are, I think, six big advances in golf technology over the last 30 years that have made the game easier (in ascending order):

6) Lighter shafts

5) Hollow-bodied long irons

4) More sole/bounce options with wedges 

3) Hybrids

2) Solid golf balls that actually spin

1) Massive driver heads

Now, I see a lot of dislike for hybrids on this site, but let's face it, the vast majority of golfers are going to fare better with a 22* hybrid than a 22* blade iron.

I'll also admit that hollow-bodied long irons are more forgiving than blades...but in testing I've found that it's not actually that much of a difference. The big difference is that a mishit with a hollow-body doesn't feel as bad as one with a blade.

I love nutting a blade long-iron...but off the turf I think it's one of the hardest shots in golf.

Blades are fun, have tried multiple long irons to replace the 3 and 4 with only the 3 replacement sticking. I've tried a couple hyrbids over the years just for the heck of it as I'm not too big a fan of them. 

I can't speak for everyone on hybrids but I think the main reason for the dislike of hybrids is lack of control. There is a sense with an iron that you know where its going to go as opposed to a hybrid. Hybrids feel like they could go anywhere if I mishit it.

• Like 2

TM Qi10 (9*) | Kai’li White 60 X

TM M6 3w (15*) | HZRDUS Yellow 76 6.0

TM Stealth2+ 5w (18*) | HZRDUS Yellow 83 6.5

PXG Gen4 0311 X (20*) | HZRDUS Black 105 6.5 

PXG Gen4 0311 T (4) | DG X100

TM P730 (5-9) | DG X100 

TM MG3 (46.09, 54.13, 60.TW) | DG S300 

TM Spider X Chalk

Ball: Taylormade TP5x 

8 minutes ago, BagofToast said:

Blades are fun, have tried multiple long irons to replace the 3 and 4 with only the 3 replacement sticking. I've tried a couple hyrbids over the years just for the heck of it as I'm not too big a fan of them. 

I can't speak for everyone on hybrids but I think the main reason for the dislike of hybrids is lack of control. There is a sense with an iron that you know where its going to go as opposed to a hybrid. Hybrids feel like they could go anywhere if I mishit it.

I recommend you get a hold of an old Adams Hybrid, XD Ti in 18, 20 or 23 D, with a stiff Matrix Altus. I’ve used numerous hybrid types, nothing to touch these and cheap too as obsolete. Look for a good head with some grooves left.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, BagofToast said:

There's something to what you're saying.  Personally, I've felt like a large portion of that lack of control is due to the club length, as hybrids are longer than the irons they replace, and the shafts generally used, which tend to be fairly light.

I found one way around the shaft issue was to use graphite iron shafts of a similar weight to the iron set I'd been using.  I would also try to play them shorter than "standard" hybrid lengths, though not to the point of the irons they might be replacing.  Considerable lead tape would be in play, but it's less easy to apply than on the back of an iron clubhead, or a driver.

• Like 2

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

57 minutes ago, BagofToast said:

There is a sense with an iron that you know where its going to go as opposed to a hybrid. Hybrids feel like they could go anywhere if I mishit it.

How I feel about fairways in general too. Iron, I know the path and can hold it, woods, I'm starting to gain that but still not enough. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RolandofGilead said:

I recently educated myself about the classic Wilson Staff blade history. This came on after I bought a set of ‘76 Staff blades for $40 at a local Play It Again Sports. I had been wanting a slightly older backup set for awhile and liked the Staffs so much that I decided to pick out a W/S model to buy. I settled on the 1987-88 Fluid Feels because they are a birth year set for me (1987) and I love that the muscle pad is higher than the models that immediately precedes them (Line Over Staff blades, FG-17). 

BCE2DA3B-A187-4DD6-88A7-C70B644CDE65.jpeg.c3bccfa2089b9e59d404ab85f8a72736.jpeg

I am going to play the FF’s this winter once I’ve had time to check swing weight and make any necessary adjustments. They are great irons with a more solid, powerful thud feel than my ‘99 Hogan Apex set. The Hogans are still my primary set for now, and I just stripped the paint fill on them. The clean look really suits my eye (for now). I hit 13 GIRs with this bag last Friday. Looking forward to winter golf - the courses stop watering and the grounds really firms up.

B2F4FE0D-3116-4E16-A0E4-F5BEC801DED1.jpeg.3bce5e06c987f3c199a60c45c0c00a59.jpeg

Those Hogans look sweet. 

• Like 1

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

Custom grind 986 Tours?

On 11/8/2022 at 10:32 PM, BagofToast said:

I can understand that, but I still think the majority of golfers are going to get better results more of the time hitting a hybrid than a long iron. For what it's worth, I'm thinking of hybrid versus 3 or 4 iron (20~25 degree range).

I also agree a lot with what @NRJyzr said about the weight of the shaft being a factor. Years ago, I put a 115X Thump in a 24* hybrid, a Titleist 910, and that was a very good combination (may have been 105X. It was a good few years ago now).

I have one hybrid, a RoMaro 23* with a 80-something gram shaft. I find it's a great club when I'm not playing well. When I'm playing well, I swap it out for a Mizuno Fli-hi #4, or, if I'm feeling lucky the 4i from the set I'm using.

Edit: just looked up Diamana Thump specs. I think what I had was the Thump h100 hybrid shaft. I definitely remember it being a three-figure number.

Edited by No_Catchy_Nickname
  • Like 1

I always get puzzled at these threads. When I started playing (60s) there wasn't blades v. GI v. SGI, there were just clubs. Pretty much all of which these days would be referred to as blades. Have no idea what those terms mean anymore, there are so many nuances. I currently game MP-20 MMCs. No idea how to categorize that. Is it a GI (don't think anyone would call it that). Is it a pure blade? (Don't think any purist would call it that.)                             

I think golf technology has advanced far beyond the simplistic blade/GI/SGI categories. A few clubs fit cleanly there, but many just do not.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

48 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I can understand that, but I still think the majority of golfers are going to get better results more of the time hitting a hybrid than a long iron. For what it's worth, I'm thinking of hybrid versus 3 or 4 iron (20~25 degree range).

I also agree a lot with what @NRJyzr said about the weight of the shaft being a factor. Years ago, I put a 115X Thump in a 24* hybrid, a Titleist 910, and that was a very good combination (may have been 105X. It was a good few years ago now).

I have one hybrid, a RoMaro 23* with a 80-something gram shaft. I find it's a great club when I'm not playing well. When I'm playing well, I swap it out for a Mizuno Fli-hi #4, or, if I'm feeling lucky the 4i from the set I'm using.

In practical terms, I think more in terms of shot shape than distance. I have a 21* Hybrid, and a 22* 3i. Seems redundant. But they are very different clubs in terms of ball flight. They are my 180* - 200* clubs. I find it really easy to fade it right off the fairway with the Hybrid. But if I'm in rough (same distance) I can draw in left around a corner with far more precision with an iron.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

31 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Edit: just looked up Diamana Thump specs. I think what I had was the Thump h100 hybrid shaft. I definitely remember it being a three-figure number.

I have a 90 or 95 gram Diamana Thump X in a Mizuno CLK. It's a 4u 22 degrees. It's almost perfect, but it goes about the same as my 24 degree four iron... I ought to leave it and come back, but I might pull the shaft and put it in the RC Hybrid.

40 minutes ago, bobfoster said:

In practical terms, I think more in terms of shot shape than distance. I have a 21* Hybrid, and a 22* 3i. Seems redundant. But they are very different clubs in terms of ball flight. They are my 180* - 200* clubs. I find it really easy to fade it right off the fairway with the Hybrid. But if I'm in rough (same distance) I can draw in left around a corner with far more precision with an iron.

Earlier this year, I was bagging both my 23* hybrid and Fli-Hi #4, for slightly similar reasons. The hybrid was easier off the fairway, and a good rescue club; the Fli-hi was a better tee-shot club. 

However, I found I wasn't using the Fli-hi much, so I dropped it for an extra wedge. Then, I started hitting the Fli-hi better in practice than the hybrid, so out went the hybrid and in went the Fli-hi.

But, yes, if I drop the lob wedge, I can quite happily play both the hybrid and Fli-hi, though it's unlikely that I will hit both in the same round.

24 minutes ago, Christen_The_Sloop said:

I have a 90 or 95 gram Diamana Thump X in a Mizuno CLK. It's a 4u 22 degrees. It's almost perfect, but it goes about the same as my 24 degree four iron... I ought to leave it and come back, but I might pull the shaft and put it in the RC Hybrid.

Interesting that you're getting the same distance from the higher lofted 4i. I found my hybrid to be if anything slightly longer than my Fli-hi, though there's not much in it. Lofts are about the same: 23 degrees in the hybrid, 22.5 in the Fli-hi. 

14 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Earlier this year, I was bagging both my 23* hybrid and Fli-Hi #4, for slightly similar reasons. The hybrid was easier off the fairway, and a good rescue club; the Fli-hi was a better tee-shot club. 

However, I found I wasn't using the Fli-hi much, so I dropped it for an extra wedge. Then, I started hitting the Fli-hi better in practice than the hybrid, so out went the hybrid and in went the Fli-hi.

But, yes, if I drop the lob wedge, I can quite happily play both the hybrid and Fli-hi, though it's unlikely that I will hit both in the same round.

Interesting that you're getting the same distance from the higher lofted 4i. I found my hybrid to be if anything slightly longer than my Fli-hi, though there's not much in it. Lofts are about the same: 23 degrees in the hybrid, 22.5 in the Fli-hi. 

The hybrid flies higher, stops quicker. 4 iron runs out a little more. Altogether it's around a 5-10 yard difference depending on conditions. I'd like it to be 10-15. So, were splitting hairs quite a bit. I find I have to be extremely precise in the clubs I use off the tee a lot of times, as I am sure you know well.

7 hours ago, Christen_The_Sloop said:

The hybrid flies higher, stops quicker. 4 iron runs out a little more. Altogether it's around a 5-10 yard difference depending on conditions. I'd like it to be 10-15. So, were splitting hairs quite a bit. I find I have to be extremely precise in the clubs I use off the tee a lot of times, as I am sure you know well.

Oh, yeah! The accurate 220~240 tee shot club is essential around here, too.

The run-out is a good point. When I was testing the hybrid vs Fli-hi, the fairways were soft (rainy season), and the hybrid carried further. With the fine, dry spell we've had recently, I suspect the Fli-hi will go further.

Random comment time  🙂

Was surfing 2nd Swing, as one does when it's officially the golf-offseason in Minnesota.  Was looking at Cobra blade options, saw they have a few sets of the Pro MB from 2008.

image.png.a12be297b95b39ac320f913f717c72f2.png

Explored farther down the path of randomness, went to the USGA Club database, and sure enough, this particular set is conforming under the (needless) groove rule.

How about that?  🙂

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

Random comment time  🙂

Was surfing 2nd Swing, as one does when it's officially the golf-offseason in Minnesota.  Was looking at Cobra blade options, saw they have a few sets of the Pro MB from 2008.

Explored farther down the path of randomness, went to the USGA Club database, and sure enough, this particular set is conforming under the (needless) groove rule.

How about that?  🙂

If those are as sweet as the CB from that era, they’ll be awesome sticks…..

7 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

Random comment time  🙂

How about that?  🙂

That data base and the groove rule is (your choice of expletives).

Although, I have a reason to buy a new set soon.

• Like 1

I picked up a new fitted set of Mizuno 221s with Modus Tour 115 X flex shafts 3-P. 

My gamers are Mizuno 223s which feel really nice, the the 221s are even better.

The 221s are harder to hit constantly, but it’s not a huge difference from 7-P. 

They’ll stay in my sim room until the spring most likely as I adjust, but I can see me combing them with my 223s.

• Like 1