Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

18 minutes ago, QuigleyDU said:

Sure, I like playing blades. For the most part my miss is usually high and low on the face not toe or heel. But, tech in irons is not a bad thing either. But purdy is purdy. lol

Purdy is purdy. Yes! This!   Well said.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ping G410 Driver
Cally Epic 4 Wood

Founders Club 200 Series MBs or BeCu Ping Eye2 or MacGregor CB92s, Ping Eye2 SW

Ping Zing2, MyDay in BeCu or Goodwood SS Sunday

On 12/28/2022 at 10:11 PM, Christen_The_Sloop said:

Funny you should mention that... This year I started noticing pain in my right elbow and I put it down to the broken arm I had a couple years ago and using x100s. I'm thinking of soft stepping a set of x100 and seeing about that, but in the meantime the Daiwas I posted earlier have s400, which is nice. I built up the grips on them (4+2). Didn't notice any pain after hitting them yesterday.

The Daiwas hit as nice as they look. No problem hitting anything, but distance was a little lacking due to the temperature. They have a very similar toe to those YORO MP-4s. One other thing I liked about the MP-4 was the size of the short iron. I don't mind if a short iron is a little beefier. I don't need scalpels down there. The Daiwa PW doesn't look oblong or anything, but when I grab my SW, the SW looks a smaller in comparison. The 9-iron in the Daiwa set is noticeably smaller in comparison to the PW. The rest of the set blends really nicely. One of the nicest set of sticks I've seen. And, it looks as if they've seen one or two rounds of golf in their 30 odd year life. It's ridiculous really.

It's funny how different the X100s and S400s are. I think the S400s are actually a gram or two heavier, but they are so much easier to play for me now. 

A soft stepped X100 might be interesting, but back in the day--pre back injuries--I toyed with the idea of a mixed set with S400 in the long irons to 7i, then X100 in the short irons.

Never saw it through, though.

• Like 1

^^^ Sweetness !

What came first, the blade or the car -> equal doses of awesomeness !

9D2AC118-DEF3-4121-8898-7521306343CE.jpeg

• Like 3

WITB for 2023  |  Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
Ping G430 Max 12*  |  Miyazaki Kusala Black 61X

Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway  |  Evenflow White 60S

Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid |  Evenflow White 90S

Edel SMS Pro 5-PW |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Edel SMS GW & LW  |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter  |  Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip

Grips    |  All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

2 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

t's funny how different the X100s and S400s are. I think the S400s are actually a gram or two heavier, but they are so much easier to play for me now. 

I cannot hit X100 . It has too much spin. The ability to match face deloft to that spin is above my pay grade. Can do it well enough with S400 and even Rifle 7.5 and even those are not truly ideal. S400 is a great shaft, my favorite. Like it more than Project X & S.P.Blue too. Can go with constant or descending on them. 

• Like 1

On 12/29/2022 at 12:51 AM, QuigleyDU said:

very soon I will have 3 sets of blades. lol. I am not really sure that is what I should be playing but it is what it is.. 

MP5s, Mizuno pro 221, and a set of Apex MBs. 

All good sets!

• Thanks 1

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix / Bridgestone Tour B-X

8 hours ago, Nard_S said:

I cannot hit X100 . It has too much spin. The ability to match face deloft to that spin is above my pay grade. Can do it well enough with S400 and even Rifle 7.5 and even those are not truly ideal. S400 is a great shaft, my favorite. Like it more than Project X & S.P.Blue too. Can go with constant or descending on them. 

T...t...too much spin? I think I was getting the opposite, as I hit the ball noticeably lower with X100s than S400s, and put it down to spin differences. Don't know for sure though, as I don't own a launch monitor.

What I do know is that I find S400s much better for me now than X100s.

1 hour ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

T...t...too much spin? I think I was getting the opposite, as I hit the ball noticeably lower with X100s than S400s, and put it down to spin differences. Don't know for sure though, as I don't own a launch monitor.

I've never been on a monitor, think I read my own ball flight decently though. By default, I'm a high trajectory hitter, the ability to do something other than that gotten a lot better in past couple of years. 

X100 launches lower for me too but they balloon more and leak from heightened off axis spin. They just feel too stiff. S400 have a softer tip, softer profile launch higher but still don't balloon, the spin seems more controllable.

I know DG is specified as low spin /low launch.  Historically tend to have too much spin and height with all of them.  I attribute this to less than stellar deloft and swinging steep. Rifle is specked mid launch/ higher spin. Funny, they work as advertised for me there.  X in Rifle does fly higher & flatter than S400. I do well with those.  

On those rare occasions when I'm swinging over my paygrade, what I glean is that gobs of spin is fine & dandy so long as a corresponding deloft is there to match it.  A higher grade of lag and flatter descent is needed to nail that. Not sure I'll ever fully bottle that. But if I could then the skill of taking off spin on command would rise, which is something I'm lacking in too. My knockdowns are really stingers. At times can do the bullet runners and oddly my driver tends to have near perfect decent angle that can make the ball kick nicely on dry fairways. But in general, I swing with too much spin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

1 hour ago, Nard_S said:

I've never been on a monitor, think I read my own ball flight decently though. By default, I'm a high trajectory hitter, the ability to do something other than that gotten a lot better in past couple of years. 

X100 launches lower for me too but they balloon more and leak from heightened off axis spin. They just feel too stiff. S400 have a softer tip, softer profile launch higher but still don't balloon, the spin seems more controllable.

I know DG is specified as low spin /low launch.  Historically tend to have too much spin and height with all of them.  I attribute this to less than stellar deloft and swinging steep. Rifle is specked mid launch/ higher spin. Funny, they work as advertised for me there.  X in Rifle does fly higher & flatter than S400. I do well with those.  

On those rare occasions when I'm swinging over my paygrade, what I glean is that gobs of spin is fine & dandy so long as a corresponding deloft is there to match it.  A higher grade of lag and flatter descent is needed to nail that. Not sure I'll ever fully bottle that. But if I could then the skill of taking off spin on command would rise, which is something I'm lacking in too. My knockdowns are really stingers. At times can do the bullet runners and oddly my driver tends to have near perfect decent angle that can make the ball kick nicely on dry fairways. But in general, I swing with too much spin.

For what it's worth, I used to spin my DGX-shafted MS-11s an unseemly amount.  I'm talking a 29* 5 iron at 7200-7500, with a 19-20* launch.  It was less than ideal in any sort of wind.

It's also how I was able to see a serious spike in distance, when I started playing golfballs that spun quite a bit less on full shots.

I didn't see that sort of spin production from my sets that have had DGS.

I should also add, this was at a time when my game was such that DGX was possibly not the ideal shaft for me.  When I had a bit more speed, my spin was around 7000 with a 31* MS-11, with the same DGX shafts.

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

7 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

For what it's worth, I used to spin my DGX-shafted MS-11s an unseemly amount.  I'm talking a 29* 5 iron at 7200-7500, with a 19-20* launch.  It was less than ideal in any sort of wind.

It's also how I was able to see a serious spike in distance, when I started playing golfballs that spun quite a bit less on full shots.

I didn't see that sort of spin production from my sets that have had DGS.

I should also add, this was at a time when my game was such that DGX was possibly not the ideal shaft for me.  When I had a bit more speed, my spin was around 7000 with a 31* MS-11, with the same DGX shafts.

Yeah, that's going to hurt in the wind.

I think I'm the opposite of you and @Nard_S in that I am probably a low-spin player. 

I now really want to hit proper balls off grass while measuring it all with a launch monitor. And I can't see any way of making it happen😢

• Like 2

9 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

now really want to hit proper balls off grass while measuring it all with a launch monitor. And I can't see any way of making it happen😢

What I found pretty helpful was video. My swing peaked about 2 years ago, life interrupts, things regress, not as good. Broke out my fancy new phone a month ago and taped myself. Saw the stink, fast.  Always avoided doing this but this year I want to incorporate it more as a part of my range sessions. Won't waste so many strikes. 

Hey gang, quick question here and I figured if anyone would know you folks would.  Maybe I was dreaming but I thought I saw a picture of some obscure TaylorMade blades on the site somewhere but I can't seem to locate it now.  I believe they were a Japanese issue thing from a few years back - a real blade I think and not the ones with the hollow long irons.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

15 hours ago, CourseJester said:

Have always used blades. 

First set of clubs I owned was a set of Cleveland CG1 irons. 

Then moved to Ping Blueprints. 

Can’t look down at anything else. 

Two quality sets, the CG1 my favorite ever cast iron and Blueprints are a set I will own at some point in time

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix / Bridgestone Tour B-X

• 3 weeks later...

Have been playing Miura TC-201’s with LA Golf L series shafts for the past 3 months. Felt my distances were decreasing on the course as I’ve made a few swing changes. Brought out my set of Apex MB’s with C-Taper 130 and have been shocked by the results. MB’s are spinning about 500 rpm less and consistently about 2mph faster ball speeds per club. I think it’s coming down to the thinner sole and more centered mass of the MB vs the TC-201. Anyone else see faster ball speeds and less spin with a blade vs a “cavity back”? 

Went to a local shop yesterday and saw the new P7MB and MC for the first time. Debating on a combo set of these but have yet to hit them. Anyone compare the new P7MB and ‘21 Apex MB’s? 

SIM2 8 degree - Ventus Black 7x

SIM2 3 wood - Ventus Black 8x

Srixon ZX Utility 2 Iron - Ventus Black 10TX

Mizuno MP-20 MMC 4-PW - Project X 6.5

Mizuno T20 50/55/60 - Project X 6.5

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist ProV1x Left Dash

4 minutes ago, KingTitus said:

MB’s are spinning about 500 rpm less and consistently about 2mph faster ball speeds per club. I think it’s coming down to the thinner sole and more centered mass of the MB vs the TC-201. Anyone else see faster ball speeds and less spin with a blade vs a “cavity back”? 

I would put the spin reduction on the C Taper.  Using the classic generalization, MBs create more spin than CBs.  though, there *are* exceptions here and there.

As for ballspeed, hard to say.  It may well be a shaft thing, the C Tapers may work better with your swing, creating better swing mechanics to improve your ballspeed.  There's nothing intrinsic about blades that would cause them to increase ballspeed.  

The thinner sole angle you mention could possibly influence your swing with respect to turf interaction.  Kind of an ancillary effect, not a direct one.

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

4 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

I would put the spin reduction on the C Taper.  Using the classic generalization, MBs create more spin than CBs.  though, there *are* exceptions here and there.

As for ballspeed, hard to say.  It may well be a shaft thing, the C Tapers may work better with your swing, creating better swing mechanics to improve your ballspeed.  There's nothing intrinsic about blades that would cause them to increase ballspeed.  

The thinner sole angle you mention could possibly influence your swing with respect to turf interaction.  Kind of an ancillary effect, not a direct one.

Yeah I know shaft is playing an influence. I wonder if a lot has to do with the center weight screw on the MB vs the Miura which has all the mass out on the heal and toe. More mass behind the ball at impact on the MB might be generating better numbers for me. Tried the C Tapers in the Miura but couldn’t get along with them as they swing weighted like D6.5 due to their heavy head weight. 

SIM2 8 degree - Ventus Black 7x

SIM2 3 wood - Ventus Black 8x

Srixon ZX Utility 2 Iron - Ventus Black 10TX

Mizuno MP-20 MMC 4-PW - Project X 6.5

Mizuno T20 50/55/60 - Project X 6.5

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist ProV1x Left Dash

12 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

I would put the spin reduction on the C Taper. 

This.

Always liked the P7 MB, may yet buy a set. 

Never suffered distance issue with MB's, usually somewhat better on loft-to-loft basis. It's a myth CB's are longer, they just launch higher which can factor longer but not always. Depends on swing.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, KingTitus said:

Yeah I know shaft is playing an influence. I wonder if a lot has to do with the center weight screw on the MB vs the Miura which has all the mass out on the heal and toe. More mass behind the ball at impact on the MB might be generating better numbers for me. Tried the C Tapers in the Miura but couldn’t get along with them as they swing weighted like D6.5 due to their heavy head weight. 

If anything, what tends to happen with CBs is the reduced face thickness causes varying degrees of face flex, which increase speed.  Even the original CBs had this effect, it was just MUCH less than you see today.  

Near the end of their run, Golfsmith started adding robot tested spin and launch to their clubmaking catalog, along with MOI and CG location info.  It was rather lovely.  No ballspeed, unfortunately, but this could help a bit.  

Courtesy of the Wayback Machine

Snake Eyes 675C:

image.png.40bed48dce9ccd4b3954a629457a6d67.png

Snake Eyes 675B:

image.png.24b0425ef88a3fd14d280fcd1a64fe84.png

Because of the relative lofts, we can't have a perfect comparison.  However, one degree of loft wouldn't account for the full difference in spin. 

What's also interesting is, the blade produces a lower launch angle, in spite of having a lower CG and a degree higher loft.  How about that? 

image.jpeg.39bd1df4498b43ddff32510e7313d05a.jpeg

Edited by NRJyzr
typo!
  • Like 2

Adding to this discussion....

The longest I've ever been with irons was with a set of Golden Rams, with Rifle 6.5.  I had problems hooking them, since I seem to do better with the stiffer tipped DG, but that's another story.  

The other aspect to the above was playing a ball that spun less on full shots, for those who had sufficient speed.  Things like the Chrome+, the One Tour D, etc (yeah, it was a while ago).

You can do some crazy things with launch conditions in irons.  Both with or without the ball.

Another story, and it has to do with different golfballs again, in part...   have a set of Mizuno MS-11s.  Hit them high with a lot of spin, but they're otherwise amazing.  Put the Precept UTri Extra Spin into play, which you would think would make it worse.  However, it was the UTri model that was designed for higher speed/spin players, which was my zipcode 17-18 years ago.  I instantly gained a club and a half to two clubs of distance with irons.  All because my spin was *that* high with those irons and my previous ball.

I did *not* see that same jump with my assorted Ram Tour Grinds, because they didn't suffer from the same excessive spin issues the MS-11s did.

Funny game, this golf

4 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

What's also interesting is, the blade produces a lower launch angle, in spite of having a lower CG and a degree higher loft.  How about that? 

Spin differential & launch angle differential is really the major difference between the two types.

The implications don't matter much on the range, they do matter on the score card. 

23 minutes ago, RolandofGilead said:

I read a thread on here (can’t find it now, unfortunately) telling about how club pros would pull Hogan Apex shafts - against the orders of Ben Hogan Golf Company - and install them on Wilson Staff heads back in the 60s and 70s.

This is a Big Stu story, he's spoken of that many times over the years.  If memory serves, his father was involved in the Hoganization of non-Hogan irons, with the Apex shaft.   🙂

Looking forward to hearing more of the FG51 saga   

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, RolandofGilead said:

I have a cool update for the historians following this thread. I recently bought a set of Wilson Staff FG-51 Tour Blade heads with the intention of shafting and selling them. Well I took one look at them and decided I needed to hit them for myself: the rounded leading edge combined with classic head shapes and short blade length was too much to pass up. I had multiple shafts options on hand but the most compelling was a set of Ben Hogan Apex 4s pulled from my dad’s set of 1999 Apex blades (which I also play). I read a thread on here (can’t find it now, unfortunately) telling about how club pros would pull Hogan Apex shafts - against the orders of Ben Hogan Golf Company - and install them on Wilson Staff heads back in the 60s and 70s. You can see where I’m going here.

/cdn-cgi/mirage/e7549045455b02c1e4dd55cd9c158750b835c990d012716c6b42e7ec2c92bbec/1280/cdn-cgi/mirage/e7549045455b02c1e4dd55cd9c158750b835c990d012716c6b42e7ec2c92bbec/1280/https://wrxcdn.golfwrx.com/uploads/monthly_2023_01/8B656575-7ED0-46EF-A7A6-5008A43EEEAD.jpeg.e66907c593a08cf0d5d9f287811e42a9.jpeg

I played the Apex 4s in a set of Apex Channelbacks for a short time and always thought they were a little bit too weak for me. Well after trying them again after a year of hitting blades, I am ecstatic to report that they are excellent shafts that promote a smooth and steady swing for me. Very similar to Modus 120S in my experience. This is absolutely ideal for these tiny FG-51 heads. I’m really excited to finish building out the set and getting them in the mix this year.

/cdn-cgi/mirage/e7549045455b02c1e4dd55cd9c158750b835c990d012716c6b42e7ec2c92bbec/1280/cdn-cgi/mirage/e7549045455b02c1e4dd55cd9c158750b835c990d012716c6b42e7ec2c92bbec/1280/https://wrxcdn.golfwrx.com/uploads/monthly_2023_01/74AD5B45-3481-4F5C-972E-48457CAFA755.jpeg.3ea43c80c0bcd95bd2c4fa3792e7bedf.jpeg

/cdn-cgi/mirage/e7549045455b02c1e4dd55cd9c158750b835c990d012716c6b42e7ec2c92bbec/1280/cdn-cgi/mirage/e7549045455b02c1e4dd55cd9c158750b835c990d012716c6b42e7ec2c92bbec/1280/https://wrxcdn.golfwrx.com/uploads/monthly_2023_01/BA5A3654-8A7B-4323-AD98-338284683C52.jpeg.7b588d82ad0f4ba230033aed2f7c87a2.jpeg

/cdn-cgi/mirage/e7549045455b02c1e4dd55cd9c158750b835c990d012716c6b42e7ec2c92bbec/1280/cdn-cgi/mirage/e7549045455b02c1e4dd55cd9c158750b835c990d012716c6b42e7ec2c92bbec/1280/https://wrxcdn.golfwrx.com/uploads/monthly_2023_01/85F3B1E5-A3DE-4D71-BECF-08049F173556.jpeg.fef2d781c973a91f614b44a3c2d9480c.jpeg

I am going to remove the shaft labels for a clean look. Regardless it is pretty cool to recreate a 1990s version of the classic Hogan/Wilson combination.

51s are a cool set! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This thread needs a bump. 
After seeing a restoration thread on irons like these I had to give them a go.  Picked up a set of Titleist 1985 Tour Models. 
I didn’t expect to like them and was just planning on giving a restoration a go, but after hitting them at the range I think they’re my favorite irons now. The heavy head coupled with regular shafts surprisingly works really well with my swing for some reason. (100-102 mph driver). I’m not totally nuts (yet) so I combo’d them with a 5 and 4 iron from a set of 718 AP2’s I have. P-5i in the TM’s and 5-4i AP2’s. The lofts are so much weaker in the TM’s that I have to double up on the 5i’s. 
Anyway… long live the blades. 

-Mag

07678132-D1E5-432C-BC3D-36D16DA65317.jpeg

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Kmagnuss said:

This thread needs a bump. 
After seeing a restoration thread on irons like these I had to give them a go.  Picked up a set of Titleist 1985 Tour Models. 
I didn’t expect to like them and was just planning on giving a restoration a go, but after hitting them at the range I think they’re my favorite irons now. The heavy head coupled with regular shafts surprisingly works really well with my swing for some reason. (100-102 mph driver). I’m not totally nuts (yet) so I combo’d them with a 5 and 4 iron from a set of 718 AP2’s I have. P-5i in the TM’s and 5-4i AP2’s. The lofts are so much weaker in the TM’s that I have to double up on the 5i’s. 
Anyway… long live the blades. 

-Mag

07678132-D1E5-432C-BC3D-36D16DA65317.jpeg

I play with a guy maybe twice a year, we were karate dads some time ago. He carries mint Tour Models with matching persimmons. Refuses to give them up. Not even the persimmons. He let hit the persimmons I loved them. Really easy to feel the head and hit it sweet. Good luck.

I am back in a set, I tend to rotate between MB's and CB's depending on how things are going when a change is due. 

The 4 iron is still there for now, it might get swapped for a CB or T100 at some point. 

My first set of blades were Maxfli DP40's 1 iron to SW. The best set I've had, without question were MP33's.

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1