2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

SNELL GOLF BALLS??? anyone???

abel88

I m looking 2 piece ball for winter/muni course. The candidates are:

- Snell Get Some (gs)

- Srixon Soft Feel

- Callaway Supersoft

- Maxfli Softfli

My primary concern is short game; 100 yrds iron, chipping and putting.

I would like to say GS is the best but your thought?

I suggest you try the top flite gamer soft. It replaced the 330rx for me in Jan. '15 and I use it year round now. For me it is the best ball urethane or surlyn that I have found. The only shot I cannot hit with this ball is the low skidding pitch/chip. It is 10-15 yards longer than the rx off the tee (mostly roll after hitting the ground, half a club longer on irons, has a higher launch(which for me is important since I hit a low ball), and it very stable in the wind. I have tied or broken my best round on 4 courses with this ball and shot an all time low 62 with it (par 72, 6500 yd/ 70.1 rating:new course record for those tees). It is durable and inexpensive (can be found for 2 doz. for $30 a lot of the time). For me it easily beat the softfli off the tee and around the green and is a much better ball around the green than the duo and supersoft. I am a +2 hndcp in my men's club (we only use tourney scores) and know if hit had Titleist stamped on it it would be very popular.

Thanks for the feedback. It looks like Callaway is axed from the list and TF Gamer Soft is on the list.

Munichop, have you tried Snell GS?

Today, I tried Srixon Soft Feel, Callaway Supersoft and Nike PD Soft. It was 38 degree at 8 am in So Cal.

I kept all three balls warm in my pocket. Nike felt like a rock. Callaway felt weird, soft but hard. Srixon stood out; soft but good distance off driver and iron. Just enough spin. Held well in wind. It felt like premium urethane ball. Around greenn it does not roll out as much as Nike and Callaway.

Now I am looking forward to compare Snell GS, Srixon SF and TF Gamer Soft.

I've been playing the 'Get Sum' this Winter and find the ball performs very well! I found a yellow Callaway Supersoft and played it for afew holes and found it shorter off the driver and ran out like crazy on the green. $85 for 6 dozen is the deal of the year as far as I'm concerned. PLUS Dean is a class act.

Thank you... We have also added this GET SUM performance with an optic yellow cover, so now comes in white and yellow.. both are same $14.16 per doz for the value packs...

Dean, I was wondering if there are going to be any surprises for us Snell ball lovers by the time spring rolls around?

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Mr. Snell, sorry to bother but I just to win an argument with another user on this site. Since you used to be with TM, does Nassau Golf make balls for TM (and still do)?

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

Mr. Snell, sorry to bother but I just to win an argument with another user on this site. Since you used to be with TM, does Nassau Golf make balls for TM (and still do)?

Seriously? Dude, try Google. You are embarrassing yourself now.

http://www.pga.com/g...-south-carolina

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

this is youtube clip about Nassau in Korea, posted back in May 2016. you may not understand Korean, but you will see TM balls rolling on assembly line.

this is youtube clip about Nassau in Korea, posted back in May 2016. you may not understand Korean, but you will see TM balls rolling on assembly line.

Thanks!

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

Looks like TM Lethal Pro.

I've played the Lethal but never heard of the Lethal Pro.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6X

PXG Black Ops 15* - Ventus Velocore Red 7X

PXG  Gen3 3 Iron - Aldila RIP Phenom HYB 100 

PXG Gen5 0311T 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Per Google, Lethal Pro is for Canadian market. If you browse thru the video, u will see a box of TM TP in background and boxes of project a rolling off the line.

Ball for the Canadian market.

https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/shop-by-sport/golf/golf-balls/product/taylormade-lethal-pro-12pk-golf-balls-332096039.html

Dean, I was wondering if there are going to be any surprises for us Snell ball lovers by the time spring rolls around?

A new golf ball placed in between the price points of the current 2 models?

Pretty sure if Snell could afford to sell the MTB urethane ball at a lower price they would do so.

So you're basically asking for a Surlyn ball that costs more than the GetSum. Why would you want to pay more for something no better than the GetSum?

Unlike marketing-driven companies such as Titleist I think Dean's business plan is to make the best urethane "Tour" type ball he knows how to make along with the best Surlyn cover ball he knows how to make then sell them each for no more than it costs to turn a profit. I appreciate him not feeling the need to add similar versions with the price bumped up for those who want to pay a little more just so they feel like they are getting "more".

Pretty sure if Snell could afford to sell the MTB urethane ball at a lower price they would do so.

So you're basically asking for a Surlyn ball that costs more than the GetSum. Why would you want to pay more for something no better than the GetSum?

Unlike marketing-driven companies such as Titleist I think Dean's business plan is to make the best urethane "Tour" type ball he knows how to make along with the best Surlyn cover ball he knows how to make then sell them each for no more than it costs to turn a profit. I appreciate him not feeling the need to add similar versions with the price bumped up for those who want to pay a little more just so they feel like they are getting "more".

We do have some interesting things coming in 2017....and I agree, I think it simplifies the confusion to keep just two types of balls, a low compression, soft feel ball, and tour performance type ball... question is, do we need to have two versions of the tour type ball.. research in the works... stay tuned...

Didn't say that at all, didn't say it was possible or it'd be done either.

I like the MTB just not affordable for me & I didn't like the Get SUM as much as I'd hoped. Take that however you'd like.

I wouldn't mind seeing a MTB comparable to a B330 RX, for players who like a tour quality ball with a urethane cover, but have a slower swing speed

How does MTB perform with slowe swing speed? Loss of distance, feel or spin?

I've only hit one for a round; I found it in the woods so I'm not sure if it was messed up or anything, but I found it was comparable to the feel of a prov1x off my clubs, fairly solid. I didn't lose a ton of distance, maybe 10 yards or so, but the shots I hit felt harder to control compared to my usual b330 RX. Could just be me, my buddy I was playing with tried it for a hole (swings around 105-110) and he was smashing it.

I wouldn't mind seeing a MTB comparable to a B330 RX, for players who like a tour quality ball with a urethane cover, but have a slower swing speed

I've only hit one for a round; I found it in the woods so I'm not sure if it was messed up or anything, but I found it was comparable to the feel of a prov1x off my clubs, fairly solid. I didn't lose a ton of distance, maybe 10 yards or so, but the shots I hit felt harder to control compared to my usual b330 RX. Could just be me, my buddy I was playing with tried it for a hole (swings around 105-110) and he was smashing it.

Thanx for the quick reply. Your feedback is exactly what I expected to hear from you. Now I wonder how 2 piece "Get Some" will peform with your swing.

My swing speed is about 103 and MTB is the ball for me; bit hard feel, longer off drive and right amount of spin off irons and wedges. Once my inventory runs think, i will order Get Some to see how it performs against competitors.

Thanx for the quick reply. Your feedback is exactly what I expected to hear from you. Now I wonder how 2 piece "Get Some" will peform with your swing.

My swing speed is about 103 and MTB is the ball for me; bit hard feel, longer off drive and right amount of spin off irons and wedges. Once my inventory runs think, i will order Get Some to see how it performs against competitors.

Happy to be of service! I haven't saw a get some around here yet, but given the price I was thinking of ordering some... Just not a fan of surlyn/ionomer covered balls. Really like the urethane ones

Today, we design tour balls with similar launch (speed, launch angle, and spin) to 2-pc balls.. so if you maximize the speed to the USGA limits, and you get the design of spin low, and the dimple pattern correct, then most golf balls will all go about the same distance.. but where they are truly different is from 150 yards and in.. tour balls separate themselves form 2pc balls the closer you get to the green... and remember, slower swing speed players also means less spin imparted on the ball.. so in reality, tour balls will help your game, as this short game spin is where you would need it the most...Good luck and please give us your feedback...

Today, we design tour balls with similar launch (speed, launch angle, and spin) to 2-pc balls.. so if you maximize the speed to the USGA limits, and you get the design of spin low, and the dimple pattern correct, then most golf balls will all go about the same distance.. but where they are truly different is from 150 yards and in.. tour balls separate themselves form 2pc balls the closer you get to the green... and remember, slower swing speed players also means less spin imparted on the ball.. so in reality, tour balls will help your game, as this short game spin is where you would need it the most...Good luck and please give us your feedback...

This has been exactly my experience over the past 6-8 years. But "Tour" balls back around 2002-2005 did not seem to perform well for from tee to green. Especially with iron shots something like a Noodle or Wilson 2-piecer seemed to fly higher and farther than, say, an early generation ProV1x.

When you say "Today, we design tour balls..." about when you say that paradigm started? My guess would be maybe 2007-ish.

When I bought my trial pack last year, I couldn't keep the MTBs in the fairway/in play as well as the GET SUM. They are both great balls, but in my experience (15 hcp), the increased spin did seem to show up off the tee as well. Still have 2 dozen left from my value pack from last Christmas, looking forward to ordering the yellow GET SUM when the supply gets a bit lower.

We do have some interesting things coming in 2017....and I agree, I think it simplifies the confusion to keep just two types of balls, a low compression, soft feel ball, and tour performance type ball... question is, do we need to have two versions of the tour type ball.. research in the works... stay tuned...

Any plans to have a yellow MTB?

Any plans to have a yellow MTB?

It's like Groundhog Day around here...