2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Ping G30 LS Tec Driver

aussiegolferer

You guys piqued my interest with the cotton balls and yarn today so I bought a bag of cotton balls with the intent to stuff some in my LS TEC.

Well, no go --- I couldn't get one through the hole!

I decided on yarn. I don't know how long of a piece I used (but I'd guess 20-25 ft) but I added 7 grams worth to get mine up to 206 grams (not including the tip).

It took me about 20 minutes to stuff it in there and I left an inch outside of the hole and screwed the weight back down on top of it, locking the end of the thread below it while leaving me an easy way to pull the yarn out if desired.

I hit a few balls into our field and it certainly did make a difference sound wise. I actually was able to turn the ball over too (my normal shot) though maybe that was a fluke. Lol.

Fwiw, for those who do want to use cotton balls, 12 regular sized cotton balls (I put the adapter in the pic to give a scale of reference) weighed 8 grams on my digital scale.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Tac' timestamp='1447018187' post='12571014']You guys piqued my interest with the cotton balls and yarn today so I bought a bag of cotton balls with the intent to stuff some in my LS TEC.

Well, no go --- I couldn't get one through the hole!

I decided on yarn. I don't know how long of a piece I used (but I'd guess 20-25 ft) but I added 7 grams worth to get mine up to 206 grams (not including the tip).

It took me about 20 minutes to stuff it in there and I left an inch outside of the hole and screwed the weight back down on top of it, locking the end of the thread below it while leaving me an easy way to pull the yarn out if desired.

I hit a few balls into our field and it certainly did make a difference sound wise. I actually was able to turn the ball over too (my normal shot) though maybe that was a fluke. Lol.

Fwiw, for those who do want to use cotton balls, 12 regular sized cotton balls (I put the adapter in the pic to give a scale of reference) weighed 8 grams on my digital scale.[/quote]

A cotton ball is just a strip of cotton. You unroll the ball and make small strips of cotton and put them in the head one at a time.

got to try it on the range today. There as a difference with the bag in there albeit small. Biggest problem is the range balls i think. Im sure when i actually get this to the course it will be good. By the way I'm driving straighter than i think i ever have. don't know how far its going but i don't think its short!

Callaway Rougue ST LS Triple Diamond Tensei Raw First responders TX

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15 degree Ventus TR

Cobra RADSpeed Tour 19 Motore X F1

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Hazard Smoke
New Level 902 PD 5-A Project X Catalyst 6.5 SS2

New Level SPN Milled 53 
Cleveland Tour Rack RTX Zipcore 58 DG GRIND
SWAG Savage AF Raw LA Golf SOHO

[quote name='LONG&STR8 ' timestamp='1447025599' post='12571590']
A cotton ball is just a strip of cotton. You unroll the ball and make small strips of cotton and put them in the head one at a time.
[/quote]

Tried that...wasn't going in. Lol. Plus I thought if I ever want to get it out there's zero chance of that occurring.

Got a chance to hit about 50 balls this weekend with the new LS 10.5 head. Got the head and pulled my TP7HD from the G25 tip. Then added 6G hotmelt to take the head to 206G. Then installed tip and proceeded to hit BOMBS.. This club is TOO easy to hit straight. Even better then my G25 that I thought would be hard to replace.

After a few days of tinkering I think I've settled on a set up for this club. Lol.

FYI for those who try the yarn track: I had left an inch of yarn sticking out of the hole so I could get it out if desired but locking the weght on it ripped it and now there's no tiny piece to pull on. I can use a dental tool or a straightened out fish hook to get it out I suppose. So be careful if you leave a bit of yarn underneath the weight. I should have wrapped mine with a bit of Scotch tape to strengthen it like the end of a shoelace.

I pulled the TM tip off my Adila Phenom NL (66 grams) --- and of course I didn't do it perfectly and had to tip it 1/4" afterwards. It's playing 44.5" in the LS Tec. The Motore Speeder 7.3 TS I have plays 44.25".

Measurements below do not include the tip weight.

Head + yarn = 198 grams.
Head + yarn + weight #1 = 207 grams
Head + yarn + weight #2 = 212 grams

At 212 grams I wasn't getting consistent centre face contact and could see that distance and accuracy was suffering.

At 207 grams I was significantly more often achieving centre of the face contact and with the Phenom NL I had a beautiful boring trajectory with usually only a tiny, tiny fade. The Speeder was similar though a bit lower.

The Phenom NL however felt better than the Motore Speeder 7.3 TS. I could sense the impact better with the NL --- a spring like feeling is probably the best way to describe it. I know I've hit it well when I get that feedback from the club. FWIW I used the Speeder most of the summer in my SLDR though had used the Phenom NL in it the year before.

Both shafts are X-stiff. I swing 99-102 mph but have a very strong transition and the NL is what I was fitted for a couple of years ago.

If the Phenom NL and the LS Tec @ 207 grams combo is an "A" for me I'd say the Motore Speeder plus LS Tec would be a B+. Close, but one was just a bit better.

I just got a demo G30ls Tec,Tour 65 stiff for a very good price.

I've only got to hit the club on a driving range as all the course in my area are closed now. In comparison to a BC+/Kai'li, the Ping is much louder and harder feeling. It was annoyingly loud in the semi enclosed hitting area.

On the plus side, G30 ballfight was noticeably straighter and the forgiveness seemed slightly better. Distance was hard to gauge, but the G30 had a bit more penetrating flight (BC+ @ 8.5 , G30 @ 9). The Tour 65 shaft was nice too.

Bag Setup - changes too often to bother listing

Finally took my XTS to the launch monitor and i picked up 10 yards with it. Mostly due to an overall better swing. 112 swing speed, 14 degree launch, 1900 spin, angle of descent of 35 degrees. It's now it's as long as my SLDR with much more accuracy.

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 7*........................Project X Smoke Green 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth Plus 13*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Taylormade Stealth Plus 17*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 9X

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Srixon ZX Utility 4..........................................Dynamic Gold X7
Srixon ZX7 5-9...............................................Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 47, 53......................Dynamic Gold X7

Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 59..................Dynamic Gold S400
Yes! Ann.........................................................KBS GPS 120

[quote name='ago33' timestamp='1447337291' post='12588636']Finally took my XTS to the launch monitor and i picked up 10 yards with it. Mostly due to an overall better swing. 112 swing speed, 14 degree launch, 1900 spin, angle of descent of 35 degrees. It's now it's as long as my SLDR with much more accuracy.[/quote]

How far were you hitting it?

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

290-300 carry, 305-320 overall.

A few pages ago I posted my launch monitor stats if don't believe me

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX

[quote name='ago33' timestamp='1447350773' post='12589714']

[/quote]

I'm saying this with all due respect, it's not physically possible for you to be getting 300 yards of carry with your SS/attack angle.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

[quote name='Drudersh' timestamp='1447354345' post='12590000'][quote name='ago33' timestamp='1447350773' post='12589714']

[/quote]

I'm saying this with all due respect, it's not physically possible for you to be getting 300 yards of carry with your SS/attack angle.[/quote]

Please don't take us down the rabbit hole again. What he posts for numbers is his own accord, and now everyone will chime in with their link to the flightscope optimizer and their statistics based on physics. No need to question it, just let the dude report his on course results, not one from some monitor.

thats why I originally didn't post my carry and total distance because it doesn't matter. I also don't exactly remember them so yes they could be off

[quote name='swizbeatz' timestamp='1447357068' post='12590268']
There should be a ban on posting numbers from a golf store monitor. Not saying that's what this is, just in general it doesn't help.
[/quote]

Agreed! I was at a local PGA SS recently and the monitor was telling me my SS was in the 115 range. A few days later I went to a demo day and was lucky enough to swing on the Callaway trakman. My actual SS was around 109 consistently with driver.

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

I have a 9 degree with a Kuro Kage 70-X that I bought before being fit. Unfortunately I need to get a 10.5 instead but I must say that this driver out performs my previous 915 D3 by a whole lot. Definitely the best driver on the market in my opinion. Wish I could get my hands on a 10.5 if anyone has one.

[quote name='croy0021' timestamp='1447380639' post='12592308']
I have a 9 degree with a Kuro Kage 70-X that I bought before being fit. Unfortunately I need to get a 10.5 instead but I must say that this driver out performs my previous 915 D3 by a whole lot. Definitely the best driver on the market in my opinion. Wish I could get my hands on a 10.5 if anyone has one.
[/quote]

I would be interested in the trade, I have a 10.5 looking to drop down to a 9 degree. PM if your interested and we can trade pics.

I've hit all 3 models. Ping G30 is low spinning enough. I am about the get my own Grafalloy shaft that bubba uses, but I can't find any! One time I swung over 120, the other it was only 110. I am still working out and gaining weight as I was only 50kg when I started and now I gained 11 kilos of mass. Anyone fit can swing it fast. I just find it hard to increase the average speed. PING G30 IS NUMBER 1! My 3 wood swing speed is around 105 to 110mph consistently.

Ping G30 8° Black Tie 7M3 X stiff 45 inch
Nike covert 2.0 Tour 3W 14° Face angle open Stock X flex
Nike Vapor Pro Blades 3-pw (silver) DGX100 TI European Union
Titleist Vokey SM4 54
Titleist Vokey SM5 61 05
Odyssey Metal-X #8

Golfpride MCC Plus 4 midsize +7 on bottom hand, +10 on the top hand.

Got my g30 ls today. 9* 65 tour x +.5 in length playing 45.5 now. Hit it on the range for 15 balls. Really like the 65 tour x shaft the club is fade biased for sure ,was hitting bombs with it. Great driver cannot wait to put it through its paces this year.

Ping G30 LS 9* tour 65X
Ping Rapture D.I. 18
Ping G25 3-PW CFS X
Ping Glide (50,54,58) CFS Wedge
Ping Anser TR 5

[quote name='ldh692002' timestamp='1447477164' post='12597320']
Got my g30 ls today. 9* 65 tour x +.5 in length playing 45.5 now. Hit it on the range for 15 balls. Really like the 65 tour x shaft the club is fade biased for sure ,was hitting bombs with it. Great driver cannot wait to put it through its paces this year.
[/quote]
According to Ping Web site, stock length is 45.75.

[quote name='wobgon' timestamp='1447479567' post='12597384']
[/quote]
[/quote]

45.25" for Tour 65 or 80 shafted standard G30 and LS Tec G30

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm not so sure about the fade bias notion now as I have been the past few weeks.

I've been whacking ball into our field after doing some tinkering with this club and now my shots are going (mostly straight) or with a slight draw.

I did two things: 1) Put my Phenom NL shaft into the head (tipped it about 1/4" as compared to when it was in my SLDR because of what I did when pulling the tip).

And 2) Added yarn to the head to get the weight of it up to 208 grams. Did more yarn end up near the heel? Dunno. But there is about 25-30 feet of yarn in there so I doubt it's bunched up. I certainly can't hear or feel it moving when shaking the head.

Whether one or both of the changes is the cause I dunno for sure. But I was getting a nice fade on the course with the head (as per original spec) with both the stock shaft and a Motore Speeder 7.3 TS. A beautiful, nice fade, but nonetheless a fade and that's not my normal shot.

You know that feeling of a perfectly flushed driver shot? One where you can feel the ball compressing and it feels like it's bouncing off the club face and you go "wow!" after hitting it? I'm getting that feeling now on my shots much more often (again, hitting into my field, not on a course).

Last round of the year tomorrow --- I'll have to wait and see how things go in the course.

[quote name='Tac' timestamp='1447511976' post='12598088']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm not so sure about the fade bias notion now as I have been the past few weeks.

I've been whacking ball into our field after doing some tinkering with this club and now my shots are going (mostly straight) or with a slight draw.

I did two things: 1) Put my Phenom NL shaft into the head (tipped it about 1/4" as compared to when it was in my SLDR because of what I did when pulling the tip).

And 2) Added yarn to the head to get the weight of it up to 208 grams. Did more yarn end up near the heel? Dunno. But there is about 25-30 feet of yarn in there so I doubt it's bunched up. I certainly can't hear or feel it moving when shaking the head.

Whether one or both of the changes is the cause I dunno for sure. But I was getting a nice fade on the course with the head (as per original spec) with both the stock shaft and a Motore Speeder 7.3 TS. A beautiful, nice fade, but nonetheless a fade and that's not my normal shot.

You know that feeling of a perfectly flushed driver shot? One where you can feel the ball compressing and it feels like it's bouncing off the club face and you go "wow!" after hitting it? I'm getting that feeling now on my shots much more often (again, hitting into my field, not on a course).

Last round of the year tomorrow --- I'll have to wait and see how things go in the course.
[/quote]

The fact I've been quoted 3 times makes me feel super important lol. The point I'm saying fade biased the ball holds its line for let's say 230 yards than starts the Chardonnay fade as I like to call it . The mods that you have done to your driver I'm sure helps a lot with your swing characteristics and the NL shaft is a spin killer which could be zapping that fade on the end also cutting it down is big with control. How do you like the cotton balls?

As always keep the hoeing going!

Ping G30 LS 9* tour 65X
Ping Rapture D.I. 18
Ping G25 3-PW CFS X
Ping Glide (50,54,58) CFS Wedge
Ping Anser TR 5

I inow exactly what you mean by the fade --- I was surprised at how I was getting a fade when I first bought this club. It was weird because I'm not a fade hitter with a driver and no matter what I did I couldn't turn it over. Granted it was just a nice fade --- certainly not a slice --- but it was difficult to get used to since for 30+ years I've never been a fade shot guy. Lol.

I have yarn in mine --- couldn't get the cotton balls into it.

On a whim I took the yarn out, hit it again and wow, was it ever louder. Lol. So I spent 20 minutes again putting it all back in.

I just hit a few more into the field --- dead straight with the exact feeling I described in an above post. The feedback I'm getting feels like I'm compressing and hitting once of those bouncy Super Balls. Lol.

[quote name='Bobalu' timestamp='1447481002' post='12597428']
[quote name='wobgon' timestamp='1447479567' post='12597384']
[/quote]
[/quote]

45.25" for Tour 65 or 80 shafted standard G30 and LS Tec G30
[/quote]
That never made sense to me.....I am standing here right now holding a stock tour 65s, a stock 65x shaft and two stock blue x shafts, all with tips, and they are all the exact same lenth.