2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

Playing Shepherd's Crook tomorrow. Should be fantastic.

The winds will be from the west, so you should be good. :taunt:

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Brighton Dale Saturday and a twilight round at Oak Grove on Sunday.

They're going to redo the bunkers on White Birch before the 2018 season but they're letting them go to shite in the meantime. Half the bunkers are just ground under repair and a bunch more have weeds growing in them. None have enough sand in them. Blue Spruce was in great shape though.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

I got in a range session today at the Oakton driving range. It's only mats but they have a decent set-up. The stations show ball speed and projected distance, which is a nice touch, even if the numbers are a little off. Timber Pointe and Oak Grove tomorrow.

Piretti Cottonwood II

I had a very nice round at Coyote Run this morning. The temps were just about perfect. The course was in very nice shape. The greens were a tad slow, but rolled nicely.

'Weird situation on the 11th and 12th holes. On the 11th, we were looking for a ball left of the green, and as we walked toward the putting surface someone on the tee yelled 'Fore!'. We almost got hit from the group behind us that apparently couldn't see a) my bight blue bag on the left fringe, b) my partners cart parked on the cartpath left of the green, and c) 3 large guys walking towards the green. We were on the 11th teebox while they were on the 10th green, so I have no idea why they thought the green was clear. Oy. So we get finished with the 12th hole, and are waiting at the 13th teebox for the green to clear. Wham. A ball from the group behind us hits my partners' cart. No 'Fore'. No warning. We were a good 40 to 50 yards behind the flag, so I have no idea how they airmailed the green so badly. A 'Fore' would have been nice.

I had a very nice day ballstriking, with 11 fairways and 11 greens. Two birdies and 3 scrambles helped offset a few brain cramps, including dunking on in the pond on the par 3 16th.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

I've got the opposite loop planned. Sitting in the office now and have a 12:30 tee time at Sportsman.

Wasn't the course in wonderful condition? The crew there really does a nice job.

Looking forward to next weekend at the crack of dawn. My pals in Lake County invited me to double up at Bonnie Brook in the afternoon.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Played Big Run in the afternoon. Perfect weather, but the winds were playing havoc with the club selection. Didn't get any revenge on the course, though. 2 balls in the water on par-3 13 and essentially a 6 putt on 18 made for a rather frustrating ending to otherwise enjoyable afternoon. Again, the pin placements left a lot to be desired. Case in point - 18. Landed the approach shot pin high only to find the ball off the green - spun back. Fine. First putt barely misses low left and.... rolls back off the green. Second putt raced by 3 feet, only to have a downhill left to right 3 footer. Lip out and there it goes again - off the green. Fourth putt left 2 feet short and again... rolls back. Fifth putt somehow stopped within 6" of the hole and I was able to finish the hole with a 9.

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

JMoney, 2 friends and I played Palatine Hills. First visit for all of us. The range is eh...limited distance balls too...which is what she said.

The course is pretty much all in front of you but the greens are clearly the defense of the course. Nice pace, always fun to watch the smooth tempo of JM...and it's nice as an old guy to blow a couple past the young buck!

Definitely not the place to have a couple of beers post round...this is just about holes 1-18.

I played Timber Pointe and Oak Grove today. TP was wet, as always, but I can't fault them with the rain we had this week. The layout there is very good and it's got a lot of variety. Honestly, The Bear and I wouldn't have known about TP were it not for reading about it on here (I wanna say it was the fourth incarnation of Dave Pelz, but I could be wrong). Ball striking was much better than last week at BDale. Oak Grove was, as always, empty. There were about 12-15 cars in the lot despite 78 degree weather. It was wet in the low spots and a couple of fairways were soggy but overall, Oak Grove drains well. My driver and iron game were sharp and it was really nice to be able to hit driver and actually have the ball go somewhere again. All of these 50 degree May days were causing the ball to just drop out of the sky off the tee. 78 and 77.

Piretti Cottonwood II

A pleasant day at Schaumburg GC this morning. 'Would have been a bit nicer if the foursome in front of our twosome on the back nine would have let us play through. I have no idea why some folks remain completely oblivious to their surroundings. I played the Baer/Tournament nines. The Baer was pretty boring to tell you the truth, but the Tournament nine had a lot more character. The fairways were a bit soft in spots, but overall very playable. The greens rolled nice, with moderate speeds. They were also quite hard. I had a handful of approach shots leap over the green early in the round. The sand was really fluffy. My playing partner lost a ball in one of the bunkers. We saw it hit just short of the lip, but it sunk in and the sand above it covered it. After looking fruitlessly 5 minutes we moved on. I don't think I ever saw that happen before. I did lose a half dozen balls in the bunkers at George Dunne one day, but that was in the standing water. Lol.

Another excellent day ballstriking with 11 fairways and 12 greens. However, couldn't quite get a feel for the greens, and left many opportunities wasted.

I've got the opposite loop planned. Sitting in the office now and have a 12:30 tee time at Sportsman.

Wasn't the course in wonderful condition? The crew there really does a nice job.

Looking forward to next weekend at the crack of dawn. My pals in Lake County invited me to double up at Bonnie Brook in the afternoon.

Yep, course has been in great shape all season. Really odd because at first glance the greens look awful, but they all run very smooth and at a nice clip.

Don't know if anyone played the back nine at Mt. Prospect better than me yesterday. We won't talk too much about the 47 I carded on the front nine, but after waking up with a sore back and hitting every iron shot on the range fat I wasn't unhappy with the 47.

Loosened up and started to feel better on the back 9 and really got the hang of my new swing. Ended up doing something I've never done in my life, played 9 holes at even par, 35! Hit every fairway except 1. Birdied #10 par 3 with a 15 foot putt. Bogey and double followed that and then strung together all pars till #17 and what an odd hole that was. 470 yard par 5 from the sliver tees, big dogleg right where I think they are trying to encourage the player to lay up in front of the green rather than go for it. Hit a great drive and was about 190 out, downwind. Hit my 175-180 club, the 5 hybrid, perfectly and it rolled 6 inches past the pin and 6 feet to the left. I think I've only had 2 eagles in my life, one of them being an ace when I was 14 so they are pretty rare. And I've definitely never had a 6 foot eagle putt. Drained it dead center for the eagle.

Tried choking it away on my second shot on 18, a fat wedge that went half the distance I needed. After that hit an amazing 50 yard 60 degree wedge to the 3 foot area of the green I had to hit, but it didn't take the slope all the way and remained 4 feet above the hole. Drained it for the par and the even 35.

Pace of play was great, didn't wait on a shot all day, but that's because my group was the one slowing down the whole course. It was me, a recent college grad who works for WGA and played high school golf so he was good. The other two guys weren't very good, but didn't play slow. but, those damn greens at Mt. Prospect are so ridiculous that they would bring our group to a halt every hole. Someone in our group was always playing tennis with the green acting as the net. Saw at least 3-4 putts run off the green and 15 feet down the fairway. Starter was a ball buster, but not a single ranger on the course. Thankfully the group behind us was pretty ignorant to the situation and didn't seem to even notice.

Played Big Run in the afternoon. Perfect weather, but the winds were playing havoc with the club selection. Didn't get any revenge on the course, though. 2 balls in the water on par-3 13 and essentially a 6 putt on 18 made for a rather frustrating ending to otherwise enjoyable afternoon. Again, the pin placements left a lot to be desired. Case in point - 18. Landed the approach shot pin high only to find the ball off the green - spun back. Fine. First putt barely misses low left and.... rolls back off the green. Second putt raced by 3 feet, only to have a downhill left to right 3 footer. Lip out and there it goes again - off the green. Fourth putt left 2 feet short and again... rolls back. Fifth putt somehow stopped within 6" of the hole and I was able to finish the hole with a 9.

Ouch. Sounds like a scene from #11. I know the 2nd half of #18 is a Himalayan climb from the creek all the way to the back of the green, but I didn't realize the green could be that punishing. I have managed to putt off the 15th green, though, and come close on a couple of others.

There's something about Bonnie Brook that gets in my head. I can go pretty low at a lot of courses in the northern burbs (Steeple Chase, Glencoe, etc.) but my game falls apart at BBrook. I always end up back there because it's cheap and I can book a 10 AM weekend tee time to then get a 4:00 at Stonewall or Thunderhawk and the Bonnie Brook round won't be a death march. But post a good score? Nah.

Piretti Cottonwood II

Ouch. Sounds like a scene from #11. I know the 2nd half of #18 is a Himalayan climb from the creek all the way to the back of the green, but I didn't realize the green could be that punishing. I have managed to putt off the 15th green, though, and come close on a couple of others.

11... ha! Only 3 putted this one?. Pin was top right and had a big left to right downhill putt. Ball barely got past the hole only to continue 30' down to the lower level.

The problem with 18 was the pin placement. There's no way in hell holes should be cut in a spot where you cannot stop the ball. My friend actually hit his putt 2' past ( straight uphill) only to see the ball start rolling back. His, however, did hang up about a foot from the hole and he raced in to tap it in.

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

In what I'm sure will come off as the least surprising news ever, I just became a member at Lawsonia :)

$1600 for me and the wife.

I'm trying like hell to get up there, and tie in Sand Valley as well, before SV's rates spike in mid June.

Hooray. Booked Thurs-Sat for next month; Lawsonia, SV,SV, Lawsonia. Psyched!

Does anyone have any idea how much damage was done to the courses in the far northwest suburbs? The news was reporting 60-65 mph winds last night and golf ball-sized hail.

Piretti Cottonwood II

Does anyone have any idea how much damage was done to the courses in the far northwest suburbs? The news was reporting 60-65 mph winds last night and golf ball-sized hail.

From what I've heard, Harvard, maybe Marengo area (oak grove, Blackstone?) had some serious rain, wind and maybe a tornado warning/watch? The rest of the area was wind and a lightning show.

I'm in middle Lake County and its really windy, but its from the south so I might go hit some 400 yard wedges at lunch just to boost the ego.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

blackstone said they got 0.2" last night...

No problem with winds

We've got a tourney there next Friday so I called them about that, and asked about course conditions.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Saturday is not looking too good. Scattered T-storms forecast through most of the day.

Lol. I might have to take a first go at Edgebrook GC. Mats on the teeboxes should be in good shape during heavy rains, right?

A pleasant day at Schaumburg GC this morning. 'Would have been a bit nicer if the foursome in front of our twosome on the back nine would have let us play through. I have no idea why some folks remain completely oblivious to their surroundings. I played the Baer/Tournament nines. The Baer was pretty boring to tell you the truth, but the Tournament nine had a lot more character. The fairways were a bit soft in spots, but overall very playable. The greens rolled nice, with moderate speeds. They were also quite hard. I had a handful of approach shots leap over the green early in the round. The sand was really fluffy. My playing partner lost a ball in one of the bunkers. We saw it hit just short of the lip, but it sunk in and the sand above it covered it. After looking fruitlessly 5 minutes we moved on. I don't think I ever saw that happen before. I did lose a half dozen balls in the bunkers at George Dunne one day, but that was in the standing water. Lol.

Another excellent day ballstriking with 11 fairways and 12 greens. However, couldn't quite get a feel for the greens, and left many opportunities wasted.

any evidence of the renovation work they are supposed to have started?

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

any evidence of the renovation work they are supposed to have started?

I didn't see anything. The starter mentioned that the work was upcoming I believe.