2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

I am planning to get out tomorrow, just not sure where yet. Likely a last minute decision for me since I will likely be going by myself

What time do you think you'll hit the links? I'm waffling on Balmoral.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I am planning to get out tomorrow, just not sure where yet. Likely a last minute decision for me since I will likely be going by myself

What time do you think you'll hit the links? I'm waffling on Balmoral.

Supposed to go this afternoon with leric (sent me a text right as I posted last night hah), and tomorrow, unsure. If I make it out, it will be early as I work Saturday night.

Lol. Fresh Meadows last week, and Jackson Park tomorrow. This weather is definitely dampening my enthusiasm for traveling. I wouldn't be shocked if I wound up at Marovitz on Sunday at this rate. I don't feel like dropping top dollar for the privileged of freezing my bottom half off.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Back to Brighton Dale Links tomorrow for 18 at Blue Spruce and 18 at White Birch. $35 for 36 holes. That's a hell of a value for a 4.5 star course.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Well... we played... if you can call it playing.... haven't seen so many 3 and 4 putts in a while. Note to self... when the greens are somewhat fast at BR, leave the ball UNDER the hole.. There's a reason they used to have a sign on 11... 4 putts maximum.. Only real highlight is I almost drove 10. Easy chip and a putt for birdie.

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

A rather pleasant round at Jackson Park this morning. The conditions weren't quite as bad as I expected. While chilly and windy, the clouds broke and the sun made it feel 10 degrees warmer. A very quick pace along helped get the blood circulating.

I must say I've never seen the course looking better in 20+ years. It bordered on lush. Lol. The new management has slowly improved the course over the past few years. I was expecting a muddy mess, but it was green and dry.

Lol. Fresh Meadows last week, and Jackson Park tomorrow. This weather is definitely dampening my enthusiasm for traveling. I wouldn't be shocked if I wound up at Marovitz on Sunday at this rate. I don't feel like dropping top dollar for the privileged of freezing my bottom half off.

Blackwolf to Fresh Meadows to Jackson Park means your next round needs to be at Edgebrook. Thats pretty clearly the way the pattern seems to be going.

Piretti Cottonwood II

So a word to the wise if you play Highlands of Elgin and book through their website. First, you're not getting their lowest rate by booking on line. Second, if you book on line, you're being charged for a cart even though you call them, tell them you're walking and they tell you that you won't be charged for a cart.

At check in today VNutz, JMoney and I were all charged for a cart even though we walked. One of the guys checking us in was just a total Richard and ripped into another employee who was trying to help us. After the round we did get the cart fee returned but our initial experience was less than favorable.

You're much better off calling the pro shop if you're walking. If you're riding, no biggie.

So a word to the wise if you play Highlands of Elgin and book through their website. First, you're not getting their lowest rate by booking on line. Second, if you book on line, you're being charged for a cart even though you call them, tell them you're walking and they tell you that you won't be charged for a cart.

At check in today VNutz, JMoney and I were all charged for a cart even though we walked. One of the guys checking us in was just a total Richard and ripped into another employee who was trying to help us. After the round we did get the cart fee returned but our initial experience was less than favorable.

You're much better off calling the pro shop if you're walking. If you're riding, no biggie.

Good tip, thanks for passing it on.

I can't say I'm surprised though. Too many guys working in area pro-shops are pretty clueless when things are different than what the computer tells them. And, usually the fix takes less than 30 seconds. Poor customer service is another trait that is all too common as well.

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

Good tip, thanks for passing it on.

I can't say I'm surprised though. Too many guys working in area pro-shops are pretty clueless when things are different than what the computer tells them. And, usually the fix takes less than 30 seconds. Poor customer service is another trait that is all too common as well.

I haven't had that issue at HOE but, yeah, patronage employees aren't the sharpest tools in the shed. Just there to collect a check.

Piretti Cottonwood II

Off to the Straits tomorrow.

No better day then a high of 48 and wind blowing 13mph out of the north.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

Blackwolf to Fresh Meadows to Jackson Park means your next round needs to be at Edgebrook. Thats pretty clearly the way the pattern seems to be going.

I'm clearly descending into golf hell.

They weren't too far off... first foursome went out at 7:30. The course is really beat up. I won't mention bunkers (well, I guess I just did), but there are a lot of bare patches all over the course. The greens were pretty slow and bumpy - they are still healing from aeration. Played blue tees and shot even 80, but it was a struggle. Snappy has been following me for quite some time.

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

A nice round at Balmoral Woods this morning. I forgot what a challenge the place is, including the walk. The par 5 7th always had my number. The course was rather wet, and the greens were still healing from a recent aeration. I'd suggest staying away for a few weeks. Otherwise it was a nice day to be out on the links.

Decent round ballstriking, but a better one scrambling. I had 6 up and downs for par. The highlight of the day was birdieing the par 3 13th. Playing 190 yards, I hit a nice 4H to 5 feet.

Played Stonewall Orchard yesterday. First-class service from a slightly high-end club. Nice range, good food, friendly staff. Course was in great shape and the greens were pretty quick considering the wet spring. The automatic golf carts that won't let you drive too close to the green will also improve conditioning. Will play again.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Played Highlands of Elgin Saturday with DP4, Scratch and another as noted previously by DP4. I have to say this was one of the more bizarre experiences I've had trying to pay at a golf course. All 4 walked, and all 4 paid up front for a cart, to the tune of $80 to the course for something not used, and they wouldn't budge on it, or at least one guy wouldn't. I've never had it where the guy running the shop fully understands what's happening, what the issue is, how to fix it, but simply has no desire to fix it. Simply didn't want to do anything in the slightest to help us out. This wasn't a part time guy who'd been there a few months, this was a guy who'd been there since the beginning at that course apparently. The other guy offering solutions was less experienced and got chewed out simply for trying to help, for "making my life more difficult", to the head cashier. Begrudgingly we were eventually offered rain checks, but to come back after the round to get them. Fortunately by then said word not allowed was off and some new guys said nuts to that and credited our cards back rather than giving us a voucher to use later. The guy who figured out the system and credited us had been there a month vs the other guy who said it wasn't possible. To be fair one of the other guys I talked to said it's their point of sale system that was the issue, and it seems like it might be new and cumbersome, but the other guy being a complete Richard was worse.

Golf was fine, course was a little soft from the rain in spots but the greens ran very smoothly. Scratch and his flavor of the week driver had a day and spanked us.

Bummer to hear you guys customer service issues at HoE.

I've had other courses play the we have a walking rate, but you booked online so you have to pay for the cart game. To me it's stealing. It's a stupid practice. I'm going to spend money at your course, I want to spend money at your course. Don't treat me like a jerk.

Played Highlands of Elgin Saturday with DP4, Scratch and another as noted previously by DP4. I have to say this was one of the more bizarre experiences I've had trying to pay at a golf course. All 4 walked, and all 4 paid up front for a cart, to the tune of $80 to the course for something not used, and they wouldn't budge on it, or at least one guy wouldn't. I've never had it where the guy running the shop fully understands what's happening, what the issue is, how to fix it, but simply has no desire to fix it. Simply didn't want to do anything in the slightest to help us out. This wasn't a part time guy who'd been there a few months, this was a guy who'd been there since the beginning at that course apparently. The other guy offering solutions was less experienced and got chewed out simply for trying to help, for "making my life more difficult", to the head cashier. Begrudgingly we were eventually offered rain checks, but to come back after the round to get them. Fortunately by then said word not allowed was off and some new guys said nuts to that and credited our cards back rather than giving us a voucher to use later. The guy who figured out the system and credited us had been there a month vs the other guy who said it wasn't possible. To be fair one of the other guys I talked to said it's their point of sale system that was the issue, and it seems like it might be new and cumbersome, but the other guy being a complete Richard was worse.

Golf was fine, course was a little soft from the rain in spots but the greens ran very smoothly. Scratch and his flavor of the week driver had a day and spanked us.

I played Highlands 2 summers ago and had a very similar problem. I booked online (like normal) and when I showed up I asked to walk and they said there was no walking allowed. I thought that was dumb, but whatever, I was already there. I was then paired with a guy on the first tee who was walking and I asked him about it. He said he plays there all the time and you can definitely walk. After my round I went back in to the shop and asked about walking. The guy in there now looked at me like I had two heads and said walking was fine.

Sounds like they may have an active incentive to get people to ride, even if it means being less than honest.

Bummer to hear you guys customer service issues at HoE.

I've had other courses play the we have a walking rate, but you booked online so you have to pay for the cart game. To me it's stealing. It's a stupid practice. I'm going to spend money at your course, I want to spend money at your course. Don't treat me like a jerk.

About 99% of the time when booking for our group I call the pro shop to make sure they know we're walking. Even though we weren't charged on line, I still do it to let the staff know and make sure we're getting a walking rate. As VNutz mentioned, the guy was just an arse and didn't make any effort to help, just push the problem on to the next shift. I forgot to mention that we actually got a lower rate as compared to what is on line.

BTW, this is also on their website in the section on rates. "* All rates are for walking. Golf cart rental is additional." http://highlandsofelgin.com/rates/

In what I'm sure will come off as the least surprising news ever, I just became a member at Lawsonia :)

$1600 for me and the wife.

very nice.

Honest question since this is something I bounce around often and the smarter half of me (wife) tells me Its not worth it:

How often do you get up there and use it? There is a club by my folk/in-laws that is similar in rates, but I can't convince myself to put the money into it for the annual due since I would only really use it once a weekend, tops, and maybe once per week before work. Its not close to my house, maybe a 50 min drive, 30 from my office.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

Played Stonewall Orchard yesterday. First-class service from a slightly high-end club. Nice range, good food, friendly staff. Course was in great shape and the greens were pretty quick considering the wet spring. The automatic golf carts that won't let you drive too close to the green will also improve conditioning. Will play again.

One of my favorites! Only 5 minutes from my house. Love the top guy out there Jeff. Really good guy. Great course. Great service. I just wish I could afford to play it more often.

In what I'm sure will come off as the least surprising news ever, I just became a member at Lawsonia :)

$1600 for me and the wife.

very nice.

Honest question since this is something I bounce around often and the smarter half of me (wife) tells me Its not worth it:

How often do you get up there and use it? There is a club by my folk/in-laws that is similar in rates, but I can't convince myself to put the money into it for the annual due since I would only really use it once a weekend, tops, and maybe once per week before work. Its not close to my house, maybe a 50 min drive, 30 from my office.

I got in 12 rounds out there last summer and had my wife with me for probably half of those. $95 per plus $5 for bucket of balls. Comes out to $1700. I'm paying $1600 to join and only thing I'll have to pay is $20 cart fee which the pro told me they often don't even bother charging the member for. Plus 20% off soft goods in pro shop and discount at restaurant (which has really good food).

Plus factor in all the rounds where I went elsewhere cause I was with the wife and didn't want to spend $180. NOw I can take her to Lawsonia for every round. also helps that Lawsonia is 10 minutes from our place vs having to drive up to 45 minutes t get to cheaper courses.

Now that I'm a member I'm sure I'll get in more than 18 rounds since I have incentive to get up there as much as possible.