2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

A pleasant, and quick, round at Glenview Park GC this morning. I managed to play my way around in 2:20. It wasn't as chilly as I expected. The wind was coming off the lake, but fairly light. The course is in really nice shape. Fairways were quite lush, and not too soft. The greens were quite speedy, which was a real surprise this time of the year. The sand in the bunkers was as fluffy as I've seen on a muni in the area.

I remember that I left something back in Mesquite. My swing. Oy veh. I could not get off the tee today. Big blocks and ugly hooks. I managed only 5 fairways and 7 greens. I'm blaming the nice weather I played in last week, as I felt like I was wearing a straitjacket with all the layers. No highlights to speak of, other than my new ClicGear travel bag. It's a large duffle bag that fits the 3.5+ pushcart. I'm hoping it helps keep the dirt and grass out of the back of my SUV. I tried the standard wheel cover, but it's a pain to put on.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I played Brighton Dale Links: White Birch in the morning and, on the way back, picked up a round at Spring Valley Country Club. White Birch is in the regular rotation for me and I played really well. I had an eagle on the 10th hole (a short par five) by holing out a wedge from about 110 yards and finished with a 74.

Spring Valley is a William Langford design that has been untouched. It's a tricky par 70 with sloping greens and plenty of elevation change. All the greens are elevated and the country course vibes (it's got a Jackson Park-esque amount of weeds) disguise the challenge. It's definitely one of Wisconsin's handicap killers. The ugly 80 I put up stung.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Another nice round at Harborside this morning. I was a bit surprised by the one hour frost delay, but they had it more or less sorted out by 8 am. The course is in decent shape. The greens had moderate speed, but a few downhill putts were a bit scary. Pace of play was great on my opening nine, as I was the first out of the gate. However, they are using three nines while the fourth (Starboard Front) is having the bunkers redone, so I hit a wall at the turn. Still, the two hours for the 2nd nine was better than I expected.

A much better day ballstriking with 9 fairways and 10 greens. I scrambled for par on half my misses, so an overall decent round.

The manager said they'd be running on 3 nines for a while, but plan to open all four during the peak summer months while working on the bunkers. I assume they'll simply keep a handful as GUR. In the fall they'll return to the 3 nine rotation while they finish the project.

Besides the drainage, they really need to consider redoing the cart paths. I think I broke three vertebrae today hitting pot holes.

20170423_104908s.jpg

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Had the privilege of playing Prairie Bluff today with DSS, Vnutz and BMan. First time playing there and it won't be the last. Enjoyed the set up and they also have a great practice facility.

All 3 of them shot under par on the second 9, which was the front as we started on 10. DSS and Vnutz both reached the par 5's on the second 9 in two and had legit eagle putts that became tap in birdies. Acutally, V had an eagle chip which hit the stick dead on and stopped on the lip. Vnutz was 2 under on the par 3's and he shot 33 on the back. Just pounded the ball and putted very well.

BMan is the silent assassin. Fairways, greens and a short game that is top notch. He got up and down from just about everywhere.

DSS hit the most impressive drives on nearly every hole. He was close to Vnutz length and pretty much every drive started about 1.5 yards right of center and came back about 1.5 yards. So fun to watch.

On 1 par 3, Vnutz drained about a 15 footer for birdie, BMan sank a 8 footer for birdie and DSS's tee shot which we all believe lipped out on the ace, made about a 3 footer for birdie.

They were nice and didn't laugh at me...much...although they should have.

Beers outside on the terrace was a great way to end the round. Thanks to DSS for making the trip in from Nebraska and joining us for a fun round.

sounds like a great day

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Had the privilege of playing Prairie Bluff today with DSS, Vnutz and BMan. First time playing there and it won't be the last. Enjoyed the set up and they also have a great practice facility.

All 3 of them shot under par on the second 9, which was the front as we started on 10. DSS and Vnutz both reached the par 5's on the second 9 in two and had legit eagle putts that became tap in birdies. Acutally, V had an eagle chip which hit the stick dead on and stopped on the lip. Vnutz was 2 under on the par 3's and he shot 33 on the back. Just pounded the ball and putted very well.

BMan is the silent assassin. Fairways, greens and a short game that is top notch. He got up and down from just about everywhere.

DSS hit the most impressive drives on nearly every hole. He was close to Vnutz length and pretty much every drive started about 1.5 yards right of center and came back about 1.5 yards. So fun to watch.

On 1 par 3, Vnutz drained about a 15 footer for birdie, BMan sank a 8 footer for birdie and DSS's tee shot which we all believe lipped out on the ace, made about a 3 footer for birdie.

Beers outside on the terrace was a great way to end the round. Thanks to DSS for making the trip in from Nebraska and joining us for a fun round.

I play PB quite often. It's definitely a good course, always in good shape. And the clubhouse has decent grub as well. Must be fun to play with low cappers! With my circle of golf buddies, we are over the moon if we crack 80 which ain't too often.

Playing Cinder Ridge tomorrow. Weather for tomorrow looks like last Monday - perfect.

15 hcp

Thank you guys for letting me tag along. What a terrific, extremely fun round, wish I would have had time to stay for a beer. And if remember correctly, your birdie putt on that par three was right in the middle all the way until an abrupt hard right turn right at the cup.

If I ever get back out here again I'll be calling. And remember, if you guys ever make western Nebraska or northern Colorado (or even Denver) make sure and let me know. Ill definitely be there.

I actually really enjoyed the course too. It reminds me a little bit of Wildhorse in Gothenburg, NE, a rolling, sweeping terrain. I think if it were just a little bit firmer it would really play similar too, where you could use the slopes to move your ball to the hole. The greens rolled nicely and at a decent speed, if you were above the hole they weren't scaring you to death, but you definitely had to pay attention. It's pretty wide open, and if you miss into the longer rough, it's still very playable, albeit a less than stellar lie. Just a really enjoyable course.

Did catch a couple of lies in footprints in the bunkers, which are very soft.

I've got a good buddy at home that I play a lot with. About a 4 cap. I've always thought he had the best short game of anyone I've played with. Not sure anymore, B-Man gets up and down from everywhere! And he's got that sweet looking lefty swing.

I actually really enjoyed the course too. It reminds me a little bit of Wildhorse in Gothenburg, NE, a rolling, sweeping terrain. I think if it were just a little bit firmer it would really play similar too, where you could use the slopes to move your ball to the hole. The greens rolled nicely and at a decent speed, if you were above the hole they weren't scaring you to death, but you definitely had to pay attention. It's pretty wide open, and if you miss into the longer rough, it's still very playable, albeit a less than stellar lie. Just a really enjoyable course.

I've got a good buddy at home that I play a lot with. About a 4 cap. I've always thought he had the best short game of anyone I've played with. Not sure anymore, B-Man gets up and down from everywhere! And he's got that sweet looking lefty swing.

Were you sipping on someone's flask? Lol. No way PB comes close to Wildhorse. OK, maybe the fact that they're built on open prairie. Other than that, nuh uh.

"reminds me a little bit" It's not a comparison, just reminded him of.

Fantastic time out at Prairie Bluff yesterday, couldn't ask for a much better day, great golf, great camaraderie and a picture perfect afternoon. Thanks to Shank for reaching out to DP4 and to him for setting it up. B, thanks for making it in the nick of time and filling the CL role perfectly. Shank, best of luck with the drive the next few days, should be a beautiful couple days for it. Yesterday is what golf's all about IMO, getting together with buddies for a fun round. Course was set up nicely, greens ran quicker and were more firm than anything I've played thus far this year, rest of the course was in great shape as well. I always enjoy PB, maybe not the hardest track but it's a fun play IMO, a bit of a different style than I normally play.

Played Bolingbrook yesterday. It was playing fast and firm. Only my second time playing it. Nicely maintained course. Doesn't suit my eye though.

From the comments here, I don't think it suits anybody's eye, unless of course you're Marty.

1756_1012611579.jpg

I've only driven by Prairie Bluffs and seen photos of it on Greg Martin's website (has it under renovation).

I'll try to play it at some point.

So Martin's work to date in Chicago area:

1) Wilmette renovation (I've only played WIlmette after Martin's work on it, and I like it).

2) Whitetail Ridge - Greg Martin original design (mentioned here recently, some say it's tight, other like it - I haven't played it)

3) Links at Carillon south - Greg Martin original design - south, Romeoville (haven't played it)

4) Links at Carillon north - Greg Martin original design - north - nows Grayslake Park District (good looking par 3 course)

5) Coyote Run (Flossmoor?) - Greg Martin originial design - I've never played it

6) Phillips Park - (original design) - I've never played it

7) Various private clubs (renovations of various scope) - River Forest CC, Rich Harvest Farms, Ridge CC, Aurora CC

8) The Preserve at Oak Meadows (I've been volunteering as a golf maintenance aid for DuPage county forest preserve)

9) Arrowhead GC - Wheaton, IL - renovation

other courses in Wisconsin

1) Glen Erin - Janesville, WI

2) The Oaks - near Madison, WI

3) Wild Ridge - Eau Claire, WI

I haven't gone back and looked at Greg's site to flesh out this list...

Which have you guys played?

What are your opinions?

2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

We played Arrowhead on Saturday in true tournament conditions with extremely fast and firm greens. On most holes the pins were tucked in places that were extremely difficult to reach and you always have to be below the hole. Arrowhead is a favorite course in the area.

I'm the one who doesn't think Whitetail is too tight. Sure there are some holes with narrow fairways and minimal places to miss but that's golf.

Prairie Bluff yesterday was a pleasant surprise. From the great practice facilities to the very good course conditions it's definitely on the must play again.

Carillon is just OK. Think a lot of that comes from the literal mount of space they have.

The original Phillips Park was OK but it's much better after their re-do.

Arrowhead is an excellent course, especially after the redo. I also happens to have one of the best bars in all of Chicago golf. Unfortunately they don't allow singles to book, or I'd play it more.

The changes at Wilmette were certainly for the better, but the drainage is still poor. It was a muddy mess last fall.

Carillon (South) is OK, but rather uninspiring. A few very nice holes don't make up for all the boring ones.

I played Prairie Bluff once in 2015, and unfortunately it was a 5+ hour death march. I did like the course, but I can't see myself going back. For prairie style courses, I thought Prairie Landing was a better course.

I'm a fan of Carillon for a cheap round of golf but it can be full of older guys who live there and just don't care about how slow they play. Prairie Bluff is one of my favorites, only once or twice have I had a long round and both were due to large outings but the ranger usually lets you play the front twice so it was no big deal. They have changed their online booking system recently and don't seem to be running as many deals as they used to, seems like I used to be able to grab a discounted rate late in the afternoons and finish up right around sunset but I haven't seen any lately.

I like Arrowhead as well.

Conditioning is top notch there.

yes, the bar/restaurant is a highlight.

I played with a guy who was the park district manager (?) at the time the course was being re-done and the clubhouse was built.

We finished our round at number 9 on the south, which has the best finish visually, as its green is right below and to the left of the outdoor patio seating for the restaurant.

Too bad to hear about Wilmette, I played it three times in June/July and it was in good shape

Prairie Landing is a premium course. I'm not suprised that it's head and shoulders above Prairie Bluffs.

I'd like to play Aurora CC sometime.

If anyone has a female playing partner, the CDGA Mixed Pairs will play there this year.

TM TP5x

Prairie Bluff is alright. Played it a bunch and the greens have always been hit or miss. I always feel there's a ton of ball marks on those greens, worse than other muni's. Its a fun course to play because you can hit driver on almost every hole and the fairways are quite generous. When it is really windy, it has some teeth, but otherwise it is pretty benign. Frankly, its most distinguishing feature is the view of the Joliet pen you get on the back 9.

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

Played Bolingbrook yesterday. It was playing fast and firm. Only my second time playing it. Nicely maintained course. Doesn't suit my eye though.

From the comments here, I don't think it suits anybody's eye, unless of course you're Marty.

1756_1012611579.jpg

Doesn't suit my wallet for that course...

Qi10 Max 9* ~ TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

Muira 302 ~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

Were you sipping on someone's flask? Lol. No way PB comes close to Wildhorse. OK, maybe the fact that they're built on open prairie. Other than that, nuh uh.

Did I say it come close to Wildhorse? No. I said it reminded me of it. Which it does. It's a similar terrain although PB is hillier. They both have short, tightly cut fairways. They both have greens with banks and swales. Both have amply wide fairways. If PB was drier and firmer you could play similar shots along the ground and feed the ball to the hole.

You've played each course what, one time? So we're the same on PB. I've played Widhorse, oh maybe a couple more dozen times than that. I think I know if something reminds me of something else.

Fantastic time out at Prairie Bluff yesterday, couldn't ask for a much better day, great golf, great camaraderie and a picture perfect afternoon. Thanks to Shank for reaching out to DP4 and to him for setting it up. B, thanks for making it in the nick of time and filling the CL role perfectly. Shank, best of luck with the drive the next few days, should be a beautiful couple days for it. Yesterday is what golf's all about IMO, getting together with buddies for a fun round. Course was set up nicely, greens ran quicker and were more firm than anything I've played thus far this year, rest of the course was in great shape as well. I always enjoy PB, maybe not the hardest track but it's a fun play IMO, a bit of a different style than I normally play.

Thanks V. Getting too old for those long a** road trips!

It was a pretty much ideal day (although I have to admit I'm not used to getting airmailed off the tee, I'll agree with DP, sell the Epic!). And four birdie looks inside 10-12' on the par threes means a pretty darn good day with the irons too. That would definitely be a group I'd love to tee it up with again.

Did I say it come close to Wildhorse? No. I said it reminded me of it. Which it does. It's a similar terrain although PB is hillier. They both have short, tightly cut fairways. They both have greens with banks and swales. Both have amply wide fairways. If PB was drier and firmer you could play similar shots along the ground and feed the ball to the hole.

You've played each course what, one time? So we're the same on PB. I've played Widhorse, oh maybe a couple more dozen times than that. I think I know if something reminds me of something else.

'Glad you enjoyed your stay. I bet that drive was a killer, though.

Unfortunately PB, or the vast majority of the course in the Chicago area for that matter, will never see the dry and firm conditions that one sees in Nebraska. That state used to be at the bottom of an ancient inland sea, and it's sand, sand, and more sand. In the Midwest, if you dig down a foot, you get hard, packed clay. Illinois was carved by a glacier during the past ice age, so any sand that might have been there is long gone. That the big reason we have over-watered "prairie style" courses, and not true links courses. Visually they can be interesting, but they basically play as target golf.

Thanks V. Getting too old for those long a** road trips!

It was a pretty much ideal day (although I have to admit I'm not used to getting airmailed off the tee��, I'll agree with DP, sell the Epic!). And four birdie looks inside 10-12' on the par threes means a pretty darn good day with the irons too. That would definitely be a group I'd love to tee it up with again.

You're no slouch off the tee Sir. And you blew a couple past big hitting the young buck while rarely missing a fairway.

A most fabulous looking scorecard.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]