Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

I echo LD's comments on Pine Meadow. The greens were quick, perhaps the fastest I've played in the Chicago-area for March. If you got above the hole, especially down-wind, good luck keeping it close.

While the weather sucked, I have to say, the course conditions were great. Very, very dry, no wet spots and no mud balls. Shocking for March and nothing like the past couple of years were it felt the courses were soaked until June.

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

Tomorrow I have to run the stupid Shamrock Shuffle. If I get pneumonia I blame my wife for signing me up for this disaster waiting to happen.

I did that about 10 years ago. Snowed 6 inches the night before and everything was a sloppy mess, and you had to stand in the snow filled streets as you awaited your start time. Most miserable run I ever did, never again.

Tomorrow I have to run the stupid Shamrock Shuffle. If I get pneumonia I blame my wife for signing me up for this disaster waiting to happen.

I did that about 10 years ago. Snowed 6 inches the night before and everything was a sloppy mess, and you had to stand in the snow filled streets as you awaited your start time. Most miserable run I ever did, never again.

It actually wasn't as bad as I anticipated. It was chilly and I likely will think twice when the idea gets pitched again next year but it wasn't miserable. Having no snow is a big difference maker. That said, I would still rather have played golf yesterday.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

I visited the PGA Superstore in Downers Grove for the first time yesterday morning. I wanted to get 3 clubs regripped, and was hoping they could do it as I waited. The store opens at 10 am on Sunday, so I thought it would be a quiet time to drop in. I arrived at 10:15 am to find the parking lot basically full. Wow. I was impressed by the number of hitting/fitting bays, all of which were full. The prices pretty much stunk, as most new gear I looked at was selling at list price.

The repair center looked very busy, and my hopes of getting my clubs regripped didn't look promising. However, they said, "No problem", and had them done in 10 minutes. 'Great service.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I visited the PGA Superstore in Downers Grove for the first time yesterday morning. I wanted to get 3 clubs regripped, and was hoping they could do it as I waited. The store opens at 10 am on Sunday, so I thought it would be a quiet time to drop in. I arrived at 10:15 am to find the parking lot basically full. Wow. I was impressed by the number of hitting/fitting bays, all of which were full. The prices pretty much stunk, as most new gear I looked at was selling at list price.

The repair center looked very busy, and my hopes of getting my clubs regripped didn't look promising. However, they said, "No problem", and had them done in 10 minutes. 'Great service.

That's my local store. Like you said, great service, never have had any issue with getting something regripped or bent etc. Just wondering though, why wouldn't the prices for new items be list price? Have they claimed to be like a discount store? Really asking, because I never knew.

That's my local store. Like you said, great service, never have had any issue with getting something regripped or bent etc. Just wondering though, why wouldn't the prices for new items be list price? Have they claimed to be like a discount store? Really asking, because I never knew.

I don't expect to see newer equipment heavily discounted, but any amount off of list price gets the buying juices flowing. Unless it's a complete impulse buy, I think most people would buy online and save. I understand that retailers have it very tough competing against online sellers, but that the reality of today's market.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Pretty much my home/go-to-repair store too. Any old clubs get traded-in there for balls mostly and get all my grips done there as well. Just very convenient.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

I don't expect to see newer equipment heavily discounted, but any amount off of list price gets the buying juices flowing. Unless it's a complete impulse buy, I think most people would buy online and save. I understand that retailers have it very tough competing against online sellers, but that the reality of today's market.

I had this discussion with a buddy that worked at another retail golf shop. No matter what the rate, full retail or marked down, people will continue to come in to look and to test, then buy elsewhere. The amount of people that showed up shortly after an item went on sale and left without it was comical he said. Point being no matter how low the retail rate, ebay will drop lower accordingly and then it's an exercise of a dog chasing it's tail until the bottom. I could see discounted prices in the fall, but in the spring when items are new you'll be hard pressed to find items on discount already. The retail stores have greater costs and overhead they need to cover and also offer the service and fitting if desired. And with no other options around they can ask what they want and cater to the buy in person crowd, which judging by the crowds and checkouts there on a typical weekend, is pretty strong.

The custom order charge is pathetic though.

I had this discussion with a buddy that worked at another retail golf shop. No matter what the rate, full retail or marked down, people will continue to come in to look and to test, then buy elsewhere. The amount of people that showed up shortly after an item went on sale and left without it was comical he said. Point being no matter how low the retail rate, ebay will drop lower accordingly and then it's an exercise of a dog chasing it's tail until the bottom. I could see discounted prices in the fall, but in the spring when items are new you'll be hard pressed to find items on discount already. The retail stores have greater costs and overhead they need to cover and also offer the service and fitting if desired. And with no other options around they can ask what they want and cater to the buy in person crowd, which judging by the crowds and checkouts there on a typical weekend, is pretty strong.

The custom order charge is pathetic though.

Very true. i went the the PGA store 3 times to test and hit drivers. After the third time I knew what I wanted and went home and purchased it online. This time wasn't because of price though, it usually is. But I wanted a little bit of customisability and options.

This beaut came in the mail yesterday!

29745277_10211924291325042_1779322767_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=c2bb17a926a06a810e21f78dd8894bc1&oe=5ABCA378

... I have argued with them on the custom shipping fee and had it removed by the manager. When you can go to Dicks and get the F8 with one of their stock shafts that most stores do not stock, like the Even Flow, there is no charge for either shipping it to the store or your home. I had that happen with the original Ping LS with a different shaft and one of the managers at PGA told me Ping charges them the shipping fee and would not remove it. I called Ping and the rep would not disclose their retail details and said I had to take it up with the store. I said the PGA manager insisted Ping charges all customers but Dicks does not charge their customers, so it sounds like some BS from PGA. He said "I cannot comment on Pings business model but it sounds like you have come up with something that makes common sense."

... It all depends on which manager you talk to. I would be much more comfortable with hearing it is a charge for various reasons covering extra book keeping, etc than a lie that it comes from the OEM. Another mgr could not remove the $15 shipping fee and just gave me a $15 gift card to make it up to me. They were more competitive when Golfsmith and GG were around but I still try and support them as I love seeing, feeling and hitting clubs instead of ordering online. If everyone continues to do this we will lose the ability to see and hit clubs. I did buy a new set of P790's off Ebay because I put in a bid for a 4-pw with 1/2" short shafts that sells for $1137 and the opening bid was $849 and nobody else bid on them so I won at a silly price. I was going to reshaft them anyway so only wanted the heads.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

In other news, playing Village Links tomorrow afternoon.

[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

The greens last Friday were not good but the rest of the course was in pretty good shape, if still dead. I’m playing Chalet Hills. I was gonna do the Cary double and play Foxford next but their rates in the last three weeks have gone from $29 to $39 to $69.

Piretti Cottonwood II

The greens last Friday were not good but the rest of the course was in pretty good shape, if still dead. I'm playing Chalet Hills. I was gonna do the Cary double and play Foxford next but their rates in the last three weeks have gone from $29 to $39 to $69.

The next time I play VL with nice greens will be the first. I played there a few weeks back, one of the very first weekends where golf could be considered, and the greens already were full of unfixed ball marks. It honestly looked like they did nothing to fix any of them at the end of last season. Pretty disappointing, especially considering they charged $46 to walk, with zero maintenance having been done to the course.

Not to make excuses for poor maintenance, but is there anything that can actually be done to greens at this time of the year? The grass is still dormant, no? Ball marks only heal when the grass is growing. I guess they could at least roll them.

Not to make excuses for poor maintenance, but is there anything that can actually be done to greens at this time of the year? The grass is still dormant, no? Ball marks only heal when the grass is growing. I guess they could at least roll them.

The greens at Glencoe and Pine Meadows were outstanding. Ghettos was smooth and quick while Goencoe was country club-smooth but only rolling at about a 7 or 8. I think it has to do with when courses punched last fall and how big the punch marks were. Quarter-sized punch marks late in the season = bad greens at the start of this season. It was just too dry during the months in between.

Piretti Cottonwood II

The greens at Glencoe and Pine Meadows were outstanding. Ghettos was smooth and quick while Goencoe was country club-smooth but only rolling at about a 7 or 8. I think it has to do with when courses punched last fall and how big the punch marks were. Quarter-sized punch marks late in the season = bad greens at the start of this season. It was just too dry during the months in between.

This is true ^^. If they don't heal before it gets too cold they stay that way until it is warm enough for regrowth. Not sure why some courses wait so long to punch.

... I have argued with them on the custom shipping fee and had it removed by the manager. When you can go to Dicks and get the F8 with one of their stock shafts that most stores do not stock, like the Even Flow, there is no charge for either shipping it to the store or your home. I had that happen with the original Ping LS with a different shaft and one of the managers at PGA told me Ping charges them the shipping fee and would not remove it. I called Ping and the rep would not disclose their retail details and said I had to take it up with the store. I said the PGA manager insisted Ping charges all customers but Dicks does not charge their customers, so it sounds like some BS from PGA. He said "I cannot comment on Pings business model but it sounds like you have come up with something that makes common sense."

... It all depends on which manager you talk to. I would be much more comfortable with hearing it is a charge for various reasons covering extra book keeping, etc than a lie that it comes from the OEM. Another mgr could not remove the $15 shipping fee and just gave me a $15 gift card to make it up to me. They were more competitive when Golfsmith and GG were around but I still try and support them as I love seeing, feeling and hitting clubs instead of ordering online. If everyone continues to do this we will lose the ability to see and hit clubs. I did buy a new set of P790's off Ebay because I put in a bid for a 4-pw with 1/2" short shafts that sells for $1137 and the opening bid was $849 and nobody else bid on them so I won at a silly price. I was going to reshaft them anyway so only wanted the heads.

I got the blame Ping excuse too. I was trying to give them business considering that Ive tested and never bought in the past. I figured full price for clubs is more than fair. Went to GG and ordered there with no order fee and closer to home. Between them and the white mountain pro shop is where my retail money goes. Thats mainly wedges and golf balls. Sadly the big purchases go online. It's no contest.

I certainly don't expect a maintenance crew to be out in full force early in the season as there's little they can do at that point, and in many cases they can actually do more harm than good. But the ball marks were clearly remnants from the previous season. I'd think a course that's at least semi-aware of their greens would have had somebody out looking and fixing them at either the end of last year or the beginning of this year; I know I did that previously when I worked grounds for a season. Perhaps it's just me as I have something of a gripe towards Village Links over their greens as there are always so many untreated ball marks, and the greens never run smooth or quick. It's the one thing holding back what could otherwise be a great course.

same here, stasek

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

... You guys have scared me. Gonna stay in Phoenix another week and allow spring to arrive. :no2:

I got out to Harborside this morning and played the Starboard course. It was cart path only, as the fairways were rather wet (as usual). I was the 1st, and only, player out, so it was still only 2:20 to get around. The greens were in very nice shape. They rolled fairly smoothly with moderate speeds. The bunkers were wet, and need grooming.

It looks like the bunker renovation is complete. A number of holes look much different. The par 3 4th lost the big right bunker, and the one behind the green. Overall I like the look of the "new" course, and it should help speed up play.

OK round ballstriking. I struggled with the driver early hitting a lot of ugly hooks. I finally gave up and started hitting fades on the 10th hole with much better results. The irons and wedges were fine. Highlight of the day were two hybrids to tap in birdie range on two holes.

I'm heading to the airport shortly. Alabama awaits.

I was the first one out at Chalet Hills and it was clear that the greens had been tarped over the winter. They were smooth and the pace was decent. The bunkers were really wet and need a lot more upkeep than they’ve done so far but the fairways were giving some roll once the moisture from yesterday dried out. My driver kind of came and went throughout the round but my irons and wedges were sharp enough to recover. I got around in under three hours and given how long the walk is, I’ll take that. Two birdies on 4 and 17 contributed to a 75.

Round two was at Blackstone. They gave me the $31 rate even though I teed off at about 12:10, which is always appreciated. Their greens and overall conditioning was as good as always. It’s another place that tarps greens and tee boxes. Memo to Village Links and Prairie Landing: it’s possible to not have greens roll like mine fields. Their bunkers got filled with a year’s supply of sand so getting out involved some aggressive swings. It’s too early to deal with number five, especially with the pin back, so I played the combo. Lo and behold, an actual par was made on that stupid hole. 76.

Good Friday rounds are booked with Bear at White Hawk and Balmoral Woods.

Piretti Cottonwood II

... You guys have scared me. Gonna stay in Phoenix another week and allow spring to arrive. :no2:

With Spring Training ending, doesn't the cost of rounds start to decline now?

... This is my first time in Phoenix, but that would be very good news!

I certainly don't expect a maintenance crew to be out in full force early in the season as there's little they can do at that point, and in many cases they can actually do more harm than good. But the ball marks were clearly remnants from the previous season. I'd think a course that's at least semi-aware of their greens would have had somebody out looking and fixing them at either the end of last year or the beginning of this year; I know I did that previously when I worked grounds for a season. Perhaps it's just me as I have something of a gripe towards Village Links over their greens as there are always so many untreated ball marks, and the greens never run smooth or quick. It's the one thing holding back what could otherwise be a great course.

Played VL yesterday. Greens were terrible. Rest of the course was okay. We had registered to play in the scramble this Saturday but after yesterday, we have cancelled and not due to the weather forecast. Even though it's only March, it was very disappointing.

[size=3]BOOM![/size]