Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

For all the Chicago folks who want to see what the Chicago Golf Club is all about, they're hosting the "US Senior Women's Open" there in July. They're looking for volunteers and if that doesn't fit, you can always go as a spectator. Great opportunity to see an amazing golf course.

Yes VNutz, I'll be there looking for senior women. Had to get that in there before you do because I know that was your first thought.

JMoney...maybe we can do that Grandmother/Granddaughter thing?

For all the Chicago folks who want to see what the Chicago Golf Club is all about, they're hosting the "US Senior Women's Open" there in July. They're looking for volunteers and if that doesn't fit, you can always go as a spectator. Great opportunity to see an amazing golf course.

Yes VNutz, I'll be there looking for senior women. Had to get that in there before you do because I know that was your first thought.

G, after the gender reassignment you've been talking about I think its about time for you to try and Monday qualify for an event! :)

Qi10 Max 9* ~ TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

Muira 302 ~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

G, after the gender reassignment you've been talking about I think its about time for you to try and Monday qualify for an event! :)

Ouch. Don't forget I have pictures. Polish women are, wait, you know how they are.

We played Red to Silver at White Hawk and Redhawk is, more than anything, just a boring housing development nine. The greens had recently been punched and were running slow and the bunkers were more black dirt than brown sand, while the course itself was like a less-interesting version of Whisper Creek. I'm not sure how I didn't see this the other time I played there. Silverhawk, on the other hand, is the definitive modern monstrosity. Forced carries on long par 4s? Check. A cartoonishly long five? Check. Bulldozer sculpted fairways? Check. Bizarre layout that is the exact opposite of walker friendly? Check. If I go back I'll need to play it myself because my God did Bear hate it. I limped to a 79.

Balmoral Woods was really soggy and very busy considering the weather but the greens were running smoothly and it's far enough south that some of the course was starting to show signs of life. We went out just ahead of a 16 person outing but still got stuck behind a foursome of extremely slow players. Usually slow play messes with my game but I was really sharp today. I had birdies on 2, 8, and 16 and shot one over on both the front and back for a 74. My wedges bailed me out a lot. Two more days and then back to work on Monday. People foolishly think Spring Break is mostly for the students. No way. It's for the teachers.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

We were the only ones on Whisper Creek this morning. Don't laugh, but the weather wasn't that bad. The wind was less than what was forecasted and while it was consistent, I'm not sure there ever were any 40-50 MPH gusts. The greens were in surprisingly good shape and if you were putting into the wind you had a better chance as you could just jam it in the cup. The bunkers are in horrific condition with the liners visible in nearly every bunker. Very few of the bunkers had actual sand, most were dirt and it hadn't been raked.

Keep in mind the winds were rather strong. Highlight of the day was holing a 56 degree wedge from 147 for eagle on #4. And just to keep it in perspective, I hit driver directly into the wind on #7 from about 210 and was short of the green and it was hit pretty well.

Looking forward to playing in 60-70 degree temps...maybe June at the current pace?

I made it up to Wilmette Golf Club this afternoon and it was in fine shape to start the season. They just opened the course on Thursday (walking only for now) and had cut and rolled the greens so they seemed to be in mid-season form already. The only ball marks I saw were my own (which I fixed!). The pins were TUCKED, too! Made for some devilish approaches. Some of the greens at Wilmette are sizable so a far right pin for example really changed the strategy of a few holes. It rained briefly this morning but by the time I teed off at 1pm the course was soft but dry. No mud balls. It was VERY windy too and I got tricked a few times with shots ending up in strange places but overall struck the ball well for a springtime round and had a great time. Pretty much had the place to myself, the guy in the pro shop said I was the the seventh player out and I got around 18 in just under 3 hours. Hope to get back there again this season.

We were the only ones on Whisper Creek this morning. Don't laugh, but the weather wasn't that bad. The wind was less than what was forecasted and while it was consistent, I'm not sure there ever were any 40-50 MPH gusts. The greens were in surprisingly good shape and if you were putting into the wind you had a better chance as you could just jam it in the cup. The bunkers are in horrific condition with the liners visible in nearly every bunker. Very few of the bunkers had actual sand, most were dirt and it hadn't been raked.

Keep in mind the winds were rather strong. Highlight of the day was holing a 56 degree wedge from 147 for eagle on #4. And just to keep it in perspective, I hit driver directly into the wind on #7 from about 210 and was short of the green and it was hit pretty well.

Looking forward to playing in 60-70 degree temps...maybe June at the current pace?

147 yard 56* wedge? Whatever Tiger was on in the 2000s you must have been on.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

147 yard 56* wedge? Whatever Tiger was on in the 2000s you must have been on.

Well, I'm going to Perkins for dinner tonight if that means anything.

We attempted to beat the morning rains with an early start at Sportsman's on Saturday....within ninety minutes of start it was coming down hard and got gusty. Strong enough to tip over the bench and scorecard box at the starter's shed.

The later morning calmed, the sun shone.

Next weekend appears to have frost delay written all over it.

Possibly Mother Nature isn't quite ready for us to be out there.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Played Sportsman's today. Just me and the coyotes out on the course. A little creepy being out there alone with the coyotes, as they were all over the course. Was teeing off on #8, look behind me, there's a coyote watching me hit from about 10 yards away. That's a little too close for my comfort.

It was cold, but at least the winds were light. Greens are still healing from being punched last fall. If your looking to play a north shore round in the next month, go to Glencoe. The greens are in much better shape there.

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

The weather in northern Alabama wasn't ideal, but it appears to have been much better than here. If you're considering a trip to the RTJ Trail, I'd say you'd be better off in late April than late March.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1615942-northern-rtj-trail-trip-report-mar-2018/

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

The weather in northern Alabama wasn't ideal, but it appears to have been much better than here. If you're considering a trip to the RTJ Trail, I'd say you'd be better off in late April than late March.

http://www.golfwrx.c...eport-mar-2018/

Welcome back to Chiraq (he says, typing from North Lawndale). 36 and sunny next Saturday. Perfect conditions for a 2:45 walking round.

Piretti Cottonwood II

"Well, I'm going to Perkins for dinner tonight if that means anything."

So how was the talent at Perkin's G?

Qi10 Max 9* ~ TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

Muira 302 ~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

I really wish there was a lottery to play to be a volunteer. It's my life mission to play CGC. I've been scouring charity auctions and networking like crazy. I thought there would be a lottery but there isn't

My buddy just literally just suggested this yesterday... I don't think he does, but maybe he's been lurking on this forum lol. Sounds like a grand idea. I'm getting more and more interested in architecture and I'd love to check this course out.

Cobra KING LTD Pro 8.5º - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S
Tour Edge Exotics CB5 15º - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8S
*Titleist 816H2 21º (C1) - Graphite Design AD DI 105S (Double Eagle/Albatross 7/15/17)

OR - *Titleist 712U 3i - Aerotech SteelFiber 110S
Titleist 712U 4i - Aerotech SteelFiber 110S
Titleist 714 AP2 5-9 - Aerotech SteelFiber 110S
Titleist Vokey SM5 46.08, SM6 50.12F, SM6 56.14F bent to 55 True Temper DG S200
Titleist Vokey Wedgeworks V-Grind 60.10 True Temper DG S200
Scotty Cameron Bullseye Blade By Titleist

I see there's debate about the future of Lake Bluff golf club. I always enjoyed that course. Really like playing it. Prices always seem to be a bit higher than they should be.

There are some rallying around rebuilding it as a 9 holer with a expanded practice facility. Not sure they could address the flooding and change things up. It would be great to see that happen.

This is true. There has been some contact with some architects who would be interested in taking a look at it. Nothing to discuss at this point since its unclear what the PD is going to move forward with.

They need to stay out of the flooded areas and work in the areas that stay dry to bring over some play from every other north shore course that floods during heavy rains. I missed the last meeting but it sounds like there are more questions then answers. Outside of the areas that constantly flood, there is another 70-80 acres that could be used for 9 holes, short course, practice area.

They also need to understand that dumping money into the clubhouse is exactly that, dumping money. I've never seen anyone in there, eating lunch and socializing. People go into the shop to pay for green fees, which there are other options for that coming out, and grab a drink. Instead of paying 1.x mil to improve it, they need to just knock it down and use a modular option.

I'm paying close attention to this one since it looks like a perfect opportunity to turn it into a Winter Park or Sweetens Cove.

Regarding Lake Bluff Golf Course:

A recent article says that they may re-zone the golf course so that it doesn't have any residential zoning which will facilitate work by no longer having to apply for a special permit for modifications. The zoning meeting is this month.

http://www.chicagotr...0405-story.html

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1615942-northern-rtj-trail-trip-report-mar-2018/

We did the Muscle Shoals and Huntsville RTJ courses late April last year. Perfect conditions compared to what you experienced.

I received an invite to work this one, though I'd committed (the correct word, indeed) to the Senior Constellation which runs concurrent.

Also working the Women's PGA at Kemper Lakes end of June.

Chicagoland has a good amount of pro golf to see this summer.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

Was it too cold for everyone to play or something? Bear and I played at Shephard’s Crook and Glencoe and there were about 7 other people on both courses combined. I guess everyone was comfortable watching CBS pay homage to racism, elitism, and classism heritage at the Masters. You guys do realize that after Larry Elder broke the color barrier at Augusta in 1976, Clifford Roberts (the brains behind the whole concept of the Masters) went to the par three course and blew his brains out? Needless to say, I have some fundamental issues with watching Jimmy Nantz gush to Augusta National over the sound of piped in bird noises. Conveniently, that, as well as some admittedly chilly temperatures, left courses wide open for us.

Shephard’s was frigid. We teed off at 10:30 and the real feel temp was 17 degrees. The greens that had not been punched (1-4, 9-16, and 18) were smooth but not particularly fast and, because they had frozen, hadn’t been rolled. The ones that were punched were pretty bumpy. They had dime-sized punch marks and a fair amount of sand filling them. Parts of the course were starting to green up but there was a lot of snow on the course. Most of the bunkers had snow piles in them and there was a lot of snow on the banks in between 1 and 2, along the sides of 10, and along 15. Those as well as the wind in our face on 9 and 18 were really the only downsides. Overall, I struggled with ball striking early on and couldn’t straighten out my driver until about 15. I got things going in time to justify a second round though.

Man, Glencoe is in good shape. It’s mostly green already. It’s not summertime green but also isn’t the green/brown combo that defines most of the courses we’ve played this year. Their greens are in fantastic shape and were sneaky fast today. My ball striking was much better at Glencoe but with the tees all the way back where they should be, that course has more teeth than when it’s listed at 6650 yards but actually plays at more like 6400 yards. Both times I’ve played at Glencoe this year the tees have been all the way back so I think that’s going to be a common theme. I cracked 80 with a 79 that I’ll take considering the conditions.

Piretti Cottonwood II

You guys are crazy. I haven't even been to the range yet, let alone played this year. Maybe it was the 7 years I spent in Atlanta, but I need it to be 50* to play. Looking like May for that.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

I walked Oak Grove today. It was cold and windy. Drove the ball great, but my irons were a mess. Started off with the earbuds on, but ripped them off by the fourth hole. They took the blame for my horrible iron play.

I'm doing it again tomorrow morning because it's spring.

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

Sportsman's :

Delayed a bit in the a.m. due to the conditions.

The sun was bright and skies were clear.

Wind and cold caused a three club differential at times.

Coyotes kept a respectful distance.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

Looking for opinions. I am deciding between Ruffled Feathers and Bolingbrook twilights deals. RF is the Arcis pass - basically $30 a month plus $20 cart fee per round. Doing the math, and averaging 3 rounds a week that comes out to $1400. Bolingbrook has a straight twilight membership - $1500 for unlimited twilight golf. Both include range etc.

I did RF last year, and it was pretty good. Not the best course or great shape, but never too busy for twilight times. I have never played Bolingbrook. I am waiting til it is warm enough to go try it. That will obviously be a big factor.

What is everyone's thought comparing the 2? (both include unlimited range)

You guys are crazy. I haven't even been to the range yet, let alone played this year. Maybe it was the 7 years I spent in Atlanta, but I need it to be 50* to play. Looking like May for that.

... Even though I have been in Chicago since '78 I also still have southern blood in my veins. Born and raised in the south til I graduated from East Carolina and started my career in radio going to Athens and then Columbus Ga. The older I get, the more the cold is intolerable. After spending January in Orlando and 6 weeks in Phoenix coming to an end today, I am not playing unless a 6 is the first temperature number. Sure, on a sunny calm 55* day I might play but those are rare. I am with you, these guys are crazy and while I can deal with a 3 club wind, I have zero interest in a 3 club temperature adjustment. Unless I am loose and swinging freely, a tight cold swing with enough clothes on to have a garage sale, just holds no interest for me. Nor does spending time in an igloo, ice fishing or cross country skiing. A 3 day drive back home and I imagine I will not be playing for awhile. After 35 rounds in 38 days (having to hike when the Mrs visited on the other 3 days) a little time off probably isn't a bad thing and I will be dying to get out when the 60's finally arrive.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour