2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

... I never pay attention to water and where I don't want to hit the ball. I focus on where I want to hit the ball. But the first time I played an island green at TPC Southwinds, all I saw was the water. So yea, it totally messes with your mind.

I see every window, car, pedestrian, water, tree etc in range the second I get on to a tee box, results very lol.

... One of my pards use to be VERY effected by everything. We could not move, whisper or even think when he was on the tee. We were playing Wedgewood and 3 of us siting on the bench motionless and holding our breath while he prepared to tee off and a squirrel moved in tree behind us. He dropped his driver and shot us a glare and the youngest of our group jumped up threw his arms in the air turning to the squirrel and screamed loudly NO CAMERA'S PLEASE!!! We all just fell on the ground and that might be the hardest I have ever laughed.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

Weird, but I received an email from Harborside stating that they'd be open this weekend. $69 is still too steep for a winter round.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Oak Marsh 17th on Amelia Island, FL

20181215_093256.jpg

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I just finished at Sanctuary. I was the first one out while Bear sat at home miserable. I expected weird conditions and the course gave me exactly that. The grass was crunching as I walked on it for the first few holes but by the turn the ice crystals on the top surface had thawed and it was really wet. The greens were similarly frozen early but spongy by the end. Everything was still moderately green since the snow wasn’t on the ground long enough to strangle the roots. I had a lot of really good strikes and my chipping was sharp considering the conditions. I was a little more generous than usual with what constituted a gimme though. 16 pars and 2 bogies (5 and 12) for a 74.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

I just finished at Sanctuary. I was the first one out while Bear sat at home miserable. I expected weird conditions and the course gave me exactly that. The grass was crunching as I walked on it for the first few holes but by the turn the ice crystals on the top surface had thawed and it was really wet. The greens were similarly frozen early but spongy by the end. Everything was still moderately green since the snow wasnt on the ground long enough to strangle the roots. I had a lot of really good strikes and my chipping was sharp considering the conditions. I was a little more generous than usual with what constituted a gimme though. 16 pars and 2 bogies (5 and 12) for a 74.

Were you able to easily get tees into the ground or did you have to use winter tees?

VNutz and I played Fox Bend in a tidy 3:15 today with pretty good conditions. Only a few wet spot. Some greens were very hard and not receptive, others very receiving. V is in trouble though. He hit several shots with the SL Cobra irons and hybrids and just pured them, even with old man shafts in them. Very nice, high baby draws. He's probably online now looking for a test set.

... DP, I have toyed around with the idea of single length for fun and can see the advantages in the 7, 6, 5 and 4 irons all the same length. But not sure I could get used to the longer short irons. When I pick them up in the store the seem really weird. Since I have some Cobra Forged Tours, I could just play my pw-7 and order the matching Forged SL 6,5 and 4. How have the SL short irons worked out for you?

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

I just finished at Sanctuary. I was the first one out while Bear sat at home miserable. I expected weird conditions and the course gave me exactly that. The grass was crunching as I walked on it for the first few holes but by the turn the ice crystals on the top surface had thawed and it was really wet. The greens were similarly frozen early but spongy by the end. Everything was still moderately green since the snow wasnt on the ground long enough to strangle the roots. I had a lot of really good strikes and my chipping was sharp considering the conditions. I was a little more generous than usual with what constituted a gimme though. 16 pars and 2 bogies (5 and 12) for a 74.

Were you able to easily get tees into the ground or did you have to use winter tees?

They went in the ground fine.

Piretti Cottonwood II

It was almost impossible to get them in the ground at Village Green today. Tomorrow I'm bringing a hammer!

Side note: Green side shots out of snow are just like bunker shots!

Was a very wet, muddy, icy, but enjoyable day out there. Balls would hop 10+ feet in the air on the Frozen greens. Certainly a "land it short" day. We got around in less than 3 hours though so that was nice.

I just finished at Sanctuary. I was the first one out while Bear sat at home miserable. I expected weird conditions and the course gave me exactly that. The grass was crunching as I walked on it for the first few holes but by the turn the ice crystals on the top surface had thawed and it was really wet. The greens were similarly frozen early but spongy by the end. Everything was still moderately green since the snow wasn’t on the ground long enough to strangle the roots. I had a lot of really good strikes and my chipping was sharp considering the conditions. I was a little more generous than usual with what constituted a gimme though. 16 pars and 2 bogies (5 and 12) for a 74.

... DP, I have toyed around with the idea of single length for fun and can see the advantages in the 7, 6, 5 and 4 irons all the same length. But not sure I could get used to the longer short irons. When I pick them up in the store the seem really weird. Since I have some Cobra Forged Tours, I could just play my pw-7 and order the matching Forged SL 6,5 and 4. How have the SL short irons worked out for you?

Early on, I had an issue with longer length wedges and shorter length hybrids/long irons. Frankly, I haven't played a 5i in probably 10 years after finding hybrids. After a couple of rounds, it's become a bit easier when you start trusting the process and being able to make the same single swing.

Hopefully VNutz can chime in on his experiences with the SL concept. Rumor has it he's on eBay right now. He hit them SO amazingly well...with old man shafts.

It was almost impossible to get them in the ground at Village Green today. Tomorrow I'm bringing a hammer!

Side note: Green side shots out of snow are just like bunker shots!

Was a very wet, muddy, icy, but enjoyable day out there. Balls would hop 10+ feet in the air on the Frozen greens. Certainly a "land it short" day. We got around in less than 3 hours though so that was nice.

It was significantly warmer this week in the South and Southwest suburbs. The bunkers all had ice in them though. No snow anymore. Whatever was still out there was washed away after the rain on Thursday.

Piretti Cottonwood II

December golf. Fantastic fellas.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

It's Village Green up in mundelein. Different from the Village Greens I think you're thinking of.

dhartmann - what’d you pay at Village Greens today? I was going to play Springbrook tomorrow but VG is practically in my front yard and would be more convenient.

Ahh - I'm not as familiar with the courses above the I-90 equator.

Another round at Sanctuary today, this time with a no-longer-hung-over Bear. The fog last night led to a frost delay since temps dipped into the low 20s overnight in New Lenox. However, we were on the course by 9:45. I forgot to mention yesterday but my lone critique of Sanctuary is the insane amount of goose and coyote turds all over the course and especially on the greens. Also, things froze over night so the greens weren't holding anything until we got to about the back nine. Bear holed out a chip for birdie on the temp green on 14 and I made birdie on 18 after I hit a good approach from the right fairway bunker and made a 10 foot putt. If there's no accumulation of snow this week, I can probably get to 90 rounds since next weekend's forecast looks playable. Currently I'm sitting at 87 rounds.

Piretti Cottonwood II

Pleasant round at Springbrook this afternoon. Waited till 1pm to tee off, and despite warnings from the pro shop staff, the greens were NOT bouncing everything off, at least in the afternoon. In fact, they were very receptive. Top dressed and soft until you get about 1†deep, where they were solid.

Fairways are pretty beat up: a few soggy sections and tons of bare, patchy spots. Couldn’t get tees in the ground on about half the tee boxes...winter golf is interesting.

Played the front nine with another single - took nearly 2 hours since we were stuck behind a mother and son. Finished the back in about 1:15 after playing through another twosome, and eventually beat the sunset by about 15 minutes.

Golf in December is a beautiful thing. Tuesday looks like it’ll provide another opportunity.

As DP4 mentioned, I took a couple swings with his single length Cobras Saturday. The 4h seriously feels like a baby club, but first swing was flushed and perfect, second a little pull draw that still stayed on the green, fantastic for a miss. The 3rd swing was with a PW, which admittedly felt odd given the extra length. But it responded just like a normal shot, higher trajectory but that might have just been the CG vs my Srixons, and didn't leave the pin. I'm not going all in yet like DP4 suggests, but I'd be lying if I didn't check ebay to see what the going rate is on these. :lol:

As DP4 mentioned, I took a couple swings with his single length Cobras Saturday. The 4h seriously feels like a baby club, but first swing was flushed and perfect, second a little pull draw that still stayed on the green, fantastic for a miss. The 3rd swing was with a PW, which admittedly felt odd given the extra length. But it responded just like a normal shot, higher trajectory but that might have just been the CG vs my Srixons, and didn't leave the pin. I'm not going all in yet like DP4 suggests, but I'd be lying if I didn't check ebay to see what the going rate is on these. :lol:

The fact that you flushed the shots wasn't surprising at all. The fact that those shots were with softer shafts caught my attention.

So what's the going rate on The Bay???

The fact that you flushed the shots wasn't surprising at all. The fact that those shots were with softer shafts caught my attention.

So what's the going rate on The Bay???

Very reasonable for the regular model, forged somewhat higher.