2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

... I played everyday but 3 of them when in Phoenix last spring for 6 weeks. The problem for me is after 2 back surgeries I can play every day but only 18 and usually no range sessions, which are much worse on the body than actually playing. But it is dam near impossible to drive and play as I need a full day to recover from sitting in a car for 10+ hours. So I would need to arrive the day before, spend the night and stretch and move around all morning and then play in the afternoon, which means another nights stay. Probably not something I want to do as a single, unless I were meeting a friend there. Plus there are just so many great courses in Phoenix to play.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

... I played everyday but 3 of them when in Phoenix last spring for 6 weeks. The problem for me is after 2 back surgeries I can play every day but only 18 and usually no range sessions, which are much worse on the body than actually playing. But it is dam near impossible to drive and play as I need a full day to recover from sitting in a car for 10+ hours. So I would need to arrive the day before, spend the night and stretch and move around all morning and then play in the afternoon, which means another nights stay. Probably not something I want to do as a single, unless I were meeting a friend there. Plus there are just so many great courses in Phoenix to play.

I'll meet you at Sand Hills if you can get a tee time! :taunt: lol... Enjoy the warmth, looks like the cold spell in AZ has headed out.

... I hope so! My lease started Jan 1st so I was supposed to leave December 29th but the weather was just silly cold so I hung around a little longer.

Round 1 of 2019 at St. Andrews. The tee sheets on both courses were 100% full. Surprisingly, the fairways were dry and actually rolling a bit. Some snow in areas where there hasn't been sunshine but no plugged shots in fairways or greens. A few mud balls but nothing terrible. Greens were a bit inconsistent as you can imagine with those in the sun playing at an ok speed and those not in the sun being more frozen and wicked slow. They have some clean up to do but the course was very playable

Two of the guys in the group left the pin in on their putts and 2 pulled the pins on every putt. Without hesitation, that slowed the pace of play by at least 5-10 minutes going back and forth and placing and removing the stick. Not sure I'm a fan of this rule change.

Bear and I walked 36 at Deer Creek and Palmira. There was no frost delay at Deer Creek in spite of the fact that the entire course was covered in frost. Today was very clearly about revenue, which I'm fine with (Glencoe was open but not allowing golfers until 11:00. Open for, what, 10 tee times?). Deer Creek had frozen greens, which I haven't had to deal with this year despite 4 rounds in December. I guess I jinxed myself yesterday. Good approaches just took parking lot-type hops. Ugh. It was fun to get out early but it wasn't exactly scoring conditions. I drove the ball well and we finished in about 2 hours 50 minutes.

Palmira was soggy and there were several muddy spots. However, it was a balmy 52 degrees. Once the greens thawed they were very receptive assuming they had southern sun exposure. The ones that had tree shadows over them were still rock solid, but that was only the case on a few holes. We went off the back first to avoid the groups that were stacked on top of each other on the front. Smart move. We finished in exactly 3 hours. The conditions were bad and the courses were dumpy, but I'll take 36 holes for $35. I didn't bother keeping score at Deer Creek but I shot a 75 at Palmira with a birdie on 16. Good start to 2019.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

No one taking the 15 round challenge? :dntknw:

It's not possible. Those of us who play winter golf can only play on weekends and the retirees who could theoretically play on weekdays are the ones b!tching incessantly about Chicago winter weather. Hopefully we have more global warming days like today but a realistic challenge is probably 8 rounds max. I'm assuming we'll get snow accumulation eventually and that makes double digits impossible.

Piretti Cottonwood II

It's not possible. Those of us who play winter golf can only play on weekends and the retirees who could theoretically play on weekdays are the ones b!tching incessantly about Chicago winter weather. Hopefully we have more global warming days like today but a realistic challenge is probably 8 rounds max. I'm assuming we'll get snow accumulation eventually and that makes double digits impossible.

Seriously, if it's 5 rounds in J/F...HUGE start to the year.

... To be accurate, I was b!tching about the weather when I moved here in 1978, probably before you were born.

Went to the Green Valley golf range in Hanover Park. I heard they are using Toptracer now and I wanted to try it out. They have 10 bays on Toptracer and they are all heated and covered. The range was packed, but I waited for about 10 minutes for a Toptacer bay to open up. For now, there is no charge to use Top Tracer - just buy regular range balls. The owner told me later on in the spring it might be $5 to use it. Top Tracer uses two large cameras on either side of the bays to give you your swing data. I guess it's similar to Trackman Range. Toptracer seemed fairly reliable. You get ball speed, launch angle, descent angle, carry distance, total distance, and yards offline (doesn't show spin). If you hit the ball poorly and don't aim at the target you select on the program, you might not get a reading. It doesn't work as well with the sun pointing at you and won't work as it gets dark. But you can use the range feature, closest to the pin, long drive, and play a few courses, one of which was Pebble Beach.

My numbers were right where they normally are according to Trackman with a few exceptions. I had ball speed numbers at 167 MPH a few times and I only got 240 carry which doesn't seem right for a drive I hammered pretty well and I didn't feel like I spun it. The other odd thing is that my friend had an old Adams GT2 driver that he let me use a few times. I tried it after hitting my Ping G30. I had my highest ball speed numbers with the Adams at 169 MPH and hit one 320 when I couldn't get it past 290 with my Ping. How'd that happen? My last gripe is that the screen shows your bullfight after you hit, but the viewpoint of the trajectory is way off to the right when I'd prefer it centered.

I told the owners of the range that if they could get a few of these on grass practice tees, they'd be packed all spring, summer, and fall. 50* for the first week of January was great too. Fun day!

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

... To be accurate, I was b!tching about the weather when I moved here in 1978, probably before you were born.

Four years before, to be exact. I believe in being consistent and you, sir, are consistent. Enjoy Arizona. My uncle claims Phoenix does wonders for his back. My aunt says it still hurts. Believe who you want to believe.

Piretti Cottonwood II

Four years before, to be exact. I believe in being consistent and you, sir, are consistent. Enjoy Arizona. My uncle claims Phoenix does wonders for his back. My aunt says it still hurts. Believe who you want to believe.

four years after for me....my parents are in sun City Westfor the winters and just love it. My dad plays four times a week out there. Adds to their quality of life.

Btw a friend of mine played 19 rounds in Jan/Feb 2012 a very mild winter so you need the weather on your side, but works from home as well.

Winter golf just isn't fun. The weather here sucks everyone knows that, not even just for golfers. I wouldn't live here if I didn't have to. Hopefully getting out next year after my wedding. I b**** about the weather, I work remotely so I could play during the week but it just isn't worth it. It is cool you enjoy it, I'd rather just go on a couple trips during the winter and play good courses like Streamsong, Torey Pines, Scotsdale courses etc than play frozen St. Andrews and Deer creek and freeze every weekend. I played 70 rounds last year and never played in really much less than 60 degrees. I am completely at peace with that. Some people just aren't as tough..or crazy lol

Such a tough loss because I think the Bears can play with anyone in the NFC. Parkey will be gone and the Bears will have to eat $5 million. Gould is a free agent.

Moral of the story is you have to score more than 1 touchdown.

Offense was mediocre all year. Parkey needs to make that kick, but it should have never come down to that...

Such a tough loss because I think the Bears can play with anyone in the NFC. Parkey will be gone and the Bears will have to eat $5 million. Gould is a free agent.

Offense was mediocre all year. Parkey needs to make that kick, but it should have never come down to that...

Offense wasn't mediocre. The Bears were 9th in points.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

How many did the defense score ... Because if you take away those I believe it was closer to 18th or 19th. Plus how often did the defense give them the ball inside the opponents 25 yard line enabling them to score?

Next level you could take away all the free points Tampa Bay gave up when they decided not to cover anyone during that game. The offense was mediocre this year. Defense helped cover it up greatly.

How many did the defense score ... Because if you take away those I believe it was closer to 18th or 19th. Plus how often did the defense give them the ball inside the opponents 25 yard line enabling them to score?

Next level you could take away all the free points Tampa Bay gave up when they decided not to cover anyone during that game. The offense was mediocre this year. Defense helped cover it up greatly.

You can't take points away from a team because the other team played poorly since that happens to every team. The Bears have a better than average offense and I expect them to be even better next year. You can also say that the Bears were leading in nearly every game through halftime, so that caused the offense to play a little more safer than they normally would (see the first game of the season).

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

We got way more out of this season than any of us imagined. 12-4...hosting a playoff game...5-1 against GB, MN and Det. Helluva a year and it stings to go out this way but they're only going to get better and don't lose sight of how young this team is compared to the teams of yore.

I'm with you Dave. Just stinks because you never know how well a team is going to do next year because of injuries. The Bears have a few more years of their core and before they have to pay Mitch and not have as much money to throw around. Just can't afford to blow chances like this. I really thought they were as good as anyone in the NFC.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

... Exactly, the offense was certainly above average. The problem was they were inconsistent, something you'd expect from a virtual 1st year QB and a brand new offense. I agree with you and expect them to be better next year. I do think they need a really versatile RB that doesn't go down so easily. Howard can run over people but has slow feet and goes down with one arm or single too many times and Nagy's offense demands more than that from a RB. I think Wims will work his way into the mix next year too. Hopefully Fangio feels like he has unfinished business with this defense and sticks around for at least one more year.

... Exactly, the offense was certainly above average. The problem was they were inconsistent, something you'd expect from a virtual 1st year QB and a brand new offense. I agree with you and expect them to be better next year. I do think they need a really versatile RB that doesn't go down so easily. Howard can run over people but has slow feet and goes down with one arm or single too many times and Nagy's offense demands more than that from a RB. I think Wims will work his way into the mix next year too. Hopefully Fangio feels like he has unfinished business with this defense and sticks around for at least one more year.

Todd Bowles runs a similar defense, so if Fangio leaves I'd imagine they snag him. Wims showed promise in the preseason, but the Bears have three better receivers than him at the moment and I think it's going to be hard for him to see much playing time.

The perfect running back for the Bears is Kareem Hunt. I'm sure he'll be suspended and I doubt the Bears bring him in, but just from a football skills perspective he is a great fit.

You can trade Jordan Howard, but you won't get much for him. The Bears don't have many picks in the draft this year, but RB is not too difficult to find a replacement for.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

... With WR's that are 5'11 and 5'8" I think they will be able to work a 6'4" WR with great hands into the mix. The pre season showed us his potential, but they were generic routes against generic defenses and he needs to learn how to read defenses and make adjustments as well as run better routes. Word is he has amazing talent but is pretty raw so I don't expect him to replace Robinson, Gabrial or Miller, just add to the trio next year.

... With WR's that are 5'11 and 5'8" I think they will be able to work a 6'4" WR with great hands into the mix. The pre season showed us his potential, but they were generic routes against generic defenses and he needs to learn how to read defenses and make adjustments as well as run better routes. Word is he has amazing talent but is pretty raw so I don't expect him to replace Robinson, Gabrial or Miller, just add to the trio next year.

Robinson is 6'3". Burton is essentially a WR/TE also at 6'3".

New slow mo video shows that Parkey's kick was tipped by an Eagles player.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Hey, who's using special winter tees this time of year due to the frozen tee boxes? I've seen a few different kinds online and am trying to figure out if any of the styles have a distinct advantage over the others.

Here's what I've found:

1. Rubber, tethered tees: link

2. "Webbed" plastic cones: link

3. Smaller, reversible plastic "rings": link

#1 seems like they're less prone to get lost, and they provide different heights, but I've seen online images of them splitting, plus: could the string break and send one flying?

#2 I've used at my local indoor sim, but they might be a little unstable on grass

#3 can be used upside down for 2 different heights (mainly for irons?), but don't look tall enough for driver shots

Any personal experience or recommendations on these or something else for winter?