2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

Any recommendations on where one can pay to hit on a Trackman or GC Quad around Chicago (preferably North/Northwest)? Just want to get an idea of my numbers.

North/Northwest suburbs or North side of the city?

Either one, but I’m not aware of any in the city.

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 9* -  Ventus Black TR
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 15* - Ventus Blue TR
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 19* - Ventus Blue TR
Mizuno 923 Forged - KBS Tour V
Titleist SM9 - 54 & 58 - KBS 610 Wedge
Odyssey TriHot 5k Triple Wide

This recent weather (today is a great exception) has given me cabin fever. Final stages of planning a trip to North Carolina. No Pinehurst this time but the plan is to play Tobacco Road (55 in GD top 100), Pine Needles (68) and Mid Pines (93). If I have time might throw in Dormie Club (49). Nice little cluster of courses in the area.

I wonder if I lived somewhere warm and played consistently during the winter if it would be cheaper than taking 2-3 trips and living here in the winter.

... This is my first time being a snowbird but I had a cable bill and was able to get a Phoenix Resident Card for $49 that included a free round of golf. So courses that cost $44 to walk (great walking tracks with my remote cart) are now only $22 for me to play so it paid for itself the first round and I am here another 3 months. Sprinkle in some last minute Golfnow/Teeoff single rates on the $200+ premier Phoenix courses for around $70 and it is pretty cheap to play golf. Of course housing was a different story but dam, sure beats the alternative of staying in Chicago all winter and taking a few trips that are never inexpensive.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

Any recommendations on where one can pay to hit on a Trackman or GC Quad around Chicago (preferably North/Northwest)? Just want to get an idea of my numbers.

http://www.mistwoodgolfdome.com/golf/toptracer

In west suburbs

Hogan's Secret.......it's in plain sight but not for everyone...
https://6sigmagolfrx.com/
2017 Taylormade M2 9.5 (set at 10.5) w/ Diamana S+ Blueboard 60 S
2010 Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W w/Fujikura Motore S 15 deg
2014 Taylormade SLDR S HL 3W 17deg Fujikura Speeder 65 R, shortened
2017 Tour Edge Exotics 3H UST Mamiya 670 S
2009 Callaway Xforged 3i w/ KBS tour S
2012 Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW w/ Fujikura Pro i95 S
2013 Miura forged 54 & 58 wedges - w/ DG Tour issue S
Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter

Mistwood golf dome is a lot of fun, I was there a few hours ago. Only thing I learned is as you pick a course there’s a spot to allow mulligans, do yourself a favor and pick unlimited. It’s not for your bad shots it’s every once in a while it’ll pickup your Neighbors’s ball and instead of being on the green in 2 your suddenly 150 yds behind some houses for you 3 rd shot. It happened to me twice last time out and I asked one of the guys how to get a mulligan. You can only get one if you pick them before your round. Instead of 2 maybe pars I had some snowmen. Oh well still pretty fun.

Mistwood golf dome is a lot of fun, I was there a few hours ago. Only thing I learned is as you pick a course there’s a spot to allow mulligans, do yourself a favor and pick unlimited. It’s not for your bad shots it’s every once in a while it’ll pickup your Neighbors’s ball and instead of being on the green in 2 your suddenly 150 yds behind some houses for you 3 rd shot. It happened to me twice last time out and I asked one of the guys how to get a mulligan. You can only get one if you pick them before your round. Instead of 2 maybe pars I had some snowmen. Oh well still pretty fun.

Yea, this happened to me yesterday. Had never happened before the handful of times I played. So I wonder if something shifted, not sure. Good idea to add the mulligans.

Gabe Rios Golf in Bucktown.

You can also check the map on Trackman's site

Seemed there was one at Sportsman's Golf course that one could rent, but maybe they mainly use it for fittings.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

I'm guessing this may have been discussed here, but I don't remember seeing it...

Looks like Sportsman's will get a pretty extensive renovation starting after the 2019 golf season.

https://www.sportsma.../course-layout/

Martin design and Wohlfiel team up again (after having done work at the Preserve at Oak Meadows)

Any comments from those who play the course?

course.jpg?V=1.52018-2022: New Places to Play – Sportsman’s Country Club

The following information provides an update regarding the Northbrook Park District’s 2018-2022: New Places to Playinitiative.

Project Overview at Sportsman’s Country Club

The project will include major renovations at Sportsman’s including:

• Golf courses
  • Clubhouse
  • Practice facilities
  • Parking lot improvements

Status

On November 7, 2018, the Northbrook Park District announced Sportsman’s would remain open for the entire 2019 season.

In May, we partnered with a highly skilled design team to develop a master plan for Sportsman’s. The preliminary plan was presented to the Board of Commissioners in September. Through the planning process, we gained valuable insight which called for further exploration of this important community project. We are dedicated to our goal of enhancing the overall golf experience at Sportsman’s and to becoming a desired destination for the entire community. In that spirit, we intend to investigate partnership opportunities to leverage available and interested community resources to expand the scope of the project.

A Request for Proposal has been issued to broaden the project to include more innovative golf amenities and a clubhouse with a year-round restaurant for the benefit of golfers and non-golfers alike. We are happy to announce that with this new development we will be open for golf for the entire 2019 season.

Selection of Architects

On May 2-3, 2018, the golf selection committee (comprised of District staff from various divisions and two Park Board commissioners) interviewed six renown golf course and clubhouse architectural firms from a field of 13 teams who submitted proposals.

On May 7, the Northbrook Park District selected the team of Martin Design (golf course architect) and Daniel Wohlfiel Design (clubhouse architect) for this project. After successful contract negotiations with the District and approval by the Northbrook Park District Board of Commissioners, Martin/Wohlfiel would be awarded the architectural services for Sportsman’s golf course and clubhouse renovations.

Golfer and Resident Input

Golfers, residents, stakeholders, District board and staff provided input as part of the 2017 Sportsman’s Golf Assessment and will have opportunities for additional feedback at key milestones during the project.

Timeline and Project Costs

A project timeline will be determined in the near future. The District has allocated $12.5 million and intends to issue bonds to partially fund this project along with District reserves.

Project Team Background

Golf course architect Greg Martin has extensive master planning and course renovation experience throughout the Chicago area. Some of Martin’s projects include Arrowhead Golf Club (Wheaton Park District), The Preserve at Oak Meadows (Forest Preserve District of DuPage County) and Rich Harvest Links (Sugar Grove). The primary focus and experience of Daniel Wohlfiel Design is in the golf course clubhouse market including Mistwood Golf Club (Romeoville), Chicago Highlands Club (Westchester) and The Preserve at Oak Meadows (Addison).

Stay tuned to sportsmansgolf.com and nbparks.org for news about Sportsman’s and all District activities as we continue moving forward with plans as outlined in the Comprehensive Master Plan.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Frankly, I'm not sure why Sportsman's is spending money on the course. It's fine. That said, I would love them to redo the par 5 17th by shifting the pond 30 yards closer to the teebox.

The place could use a proper clubhouse, though. I don't think it needs to be a large one. Something along the lines of the new clubhouse at Sunset Valley would be fine.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Frankly, I'm not sure why Sportsman's is spending money on the course. It's fine. That said, I would love them to redo the par 5 17th by shifting the pond 30 yards closer to the teebox.

The place could use a proper clubhouse, though. I don't think it needs to be a large one. Something along the lines of the new clubhouse at Sunset Valley would be fine.

The 18 hole course was renovated back in 2005. Other than 17 (I agree, move the pond up), I can't think of anything I would change on the course. To me, this feels like a long delayed phase 2 of that project. With upgrades to the clubhouse, range and other parts of the facility now occurring.

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

they've talked about making the cafe into an actual restaurant with 12 month capabilities for social events.

also underground storage for maintenance equipment and cart storage. they're trying to free up some space. it could create some interesting dynamics. talked about upgrading the range.

the locker room could use a spruce up.

however, underground anything seems ridiculous, as the place is built on a flood plain.

the amount of rain water that channels past that course and pushes a mile past over to the Underwriters Labs properties is immense.

they'll open the clubhouse soon for lessons , so I'll see what's being openly discussed.

the input, so described, was mainly an emailed survey, that asked what was satisfactory and what type of improvements might be desired. so wide open in choices it could have be designed by ANGC. about the only question not asked was - do you want cashmere carpeting in the bathrooms.....

this course is not the Taj Mahal and never will be. it was said a couple years ago that it lost about 100k for a fiscal year and the PD manager was OK with that. the politicos must have decided it needed to be more attractive and show a profit.

I'm all for polishing up the place here and there but not cool with a complete re-do. if they trick it out and price it too high, will attendance suffer ?

the locals already said no to buying Green Acres country club that went into foreclosure and that fancy Five Seasons health club that wanted to be taken over by the village. Mission Hills was plowed under.

this town burns through dough. you ought to see the schools budget.

If I had more kids - they would all be teachers here and advance to administration.

either that or city engineers.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

There are a few spots that could use better drainage, but they don't really come into play. The low area in front of the 12th teebox often forms an enormous lake after heavy rains, but it's short of the fairway.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

The 18 hole course was renovated back in 2005. Other than 17 (I agree, move the pond up), I can't think of anything I would change on the course. To me, this feels like a long delayed phase 2 of that project. With upgrades to the clubhouse, range and other parts of the facility now occurring.

Why do you guys think the pond should be moved up? Wouldn't that just take driver out of your hands? I agree that 17 is a terrible hole and by far the worst on a pretty good course, but I think the best way to improve it would be to fill in part of the pond and/or cut that big tree down. There is just no where to hit your second shot now.

This seems like a massive waste of money. The course is very solid and millions of dollars isn't going to make it all that much better. I know it's not Northbrook, but that kind of money would be better spent at a place like Chick Evans or Edgebrook.

The pond is over 310 yds from the tee. The problem is that a good drive requires a long iron or fairway wood to clear the water, otherwise you're laying up with a PW or 9i. Pffft. If they moved it 30 yds you'd still have to hit a reasonable layup, but it would be with a mid-iron.

I don't have an issue with the tree, but the combination of that and the pond makes for a very difficult 2nd shot. If the pond was moved, hitting the tree would likely leave your ball dry. Of course, being a willow, they'd likely have to leave some part of the pond adjacent to the tree. 'Not sure willows do well away from the waterline.

The pond is over 310 yds from the tee. The problem is that a good drive requires a long iron or fairway wood to clear the water, otherwise you're laying up with a PW or 9i. Pffft. If they moved it 30 yds you'd still have to hit a reasonable layup, but it would be with a mid-iron.

I don't have an issue with the tree, but the combination of that and the pond makes for a very difficult 2nd shot. If the pond was moved, hitting the tree would likely leave your ball dry. Of course, being a willow, they'd likely have to leave some part of the pond adjacent to the tree. 'Not sure willows do well away from the waterline.

I guess I didn't realize it was that long off the tee. Maybe a diagonal water feature running from the water that exists on the right of the fairway, then up by the willow tree and finally crossing the fairway would be better. Something to open up the second shot is necessary. I agree it's just too big of a pond with no real options.

Holy cow!

I just perused the Northbrook park district budgets for the last two years and that was torture.

they have allocated almost ten million to the Master Plan in 2019 and 2020 for Sportsman's.

if you don't get into the fine print, you wouldn't know.

the 2018 budget shows $350k. that must be for the planning stages.

2019, five mil, 2020 four point six mil.

earlier statements in the 2017 report show 66000 rounds played. decrease of six percent and that was a great weather year.

total revenue at three million.

are they nucking futz?

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

Holy cow!

I just perused the Northbrook park district budgets for the last two years and that was torture.

they have allocated almost ten million to the Master Plan in 2019 and 2020 for Sportsman's.

if you don't get into the fine print, you wouldn't know.

the 2018 budget shows $350k. that must be for the planning stages.

2019, five mil, 2020 four point six mil.

earlier statements in the 2017 report show 66000 rounds played. decrease of six percent and that was a great weather year.

total revenue at three million.

are they nucking futz?

66k rounds in one year...c’mon

fifty bucks a round times sixty six thousand is three point three million. 18 rate is 55-46, nine hole 29-24, that is with or without the discount card.

add some back for lessons, cart fees and pro shop revenue and you're pretty much there.

I don't know what nearby courses are showing so I have nothing to compare.

wonder what the 2018 numbers are going to show. the weather really pounded the area and revenue had to be lower.

the recent PD website update says they are considering a public-private partnership and a recent proposal was 'exciting'.

next PD board meeting is end of February.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

Can you screenshot or copy/paste what it says regarding the rounds played? My guess is that they would be lucky to get 66,000 rounds over 3 years. This should be fun...

There's more concrete data out there on the average number of "golfable" days per year...but let's assume you can play golf in Chicago from March-November which is generous. That is roughly 270 days.

Now say that only 10% of those days days have poor weather that significantly affects play. That takes you down to 243 days. Realistically there are probably another 50-100 days in there that only "diehards" would play due to temperature, rain, snow, wind, etc...but let's assume we live in San Diego for those 243 days and it's 70-75 degrees every single day.

With 243 perfect golf weather days per year you would need 271 people to tee off each day to reach 66,000. Let's assume those are all foursomes...so 68 foursomes per day every single day.

Let's assume that you have 13 hours of daylight for each of those 243 days...that would be nice. Eliminate the last two hours of daylight since tee times would be rare, especially for a foursome, and that leaves you with 11 hours of tee sheet space. With tee times every 10 minutes you would have 66 available tee slots...6 per hour. That gets them to 64,000 rounds. Not bad! You just need 243 perfect days and foursomes lined up for every single tee time from 6am - 5pm

getgolfed,

don't know where you live or how much you play.

Sportsman's has 27 holes and a good range at one destination.

our course is busy. proshop does a good business. youth leagues and instruction as well.

we have one of the best instructors in Illinois. look up Michael Wenzel.

feel free to do your own research or ask players in northern Illinois.

our cafe is clean, has a good menu and I eat there every time we play.

locals support this place and we get a lot of patronage from Chicago residents.

the more the merrier.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

The nine hole course gets a lot of play, which contributes to the total count. Also, tee time are not 10 minutes apart. The course also gets a lot of twilight play.

I have no opinion on the course...never played there. I'm happy to hear the pro and youth programs are great. Love to hear that. Didn't realize there were 27 holes...but are they talking 66,000 nine hole rounds? Even if it's 9 hole rounds then you're looking at 275 players per day, every single day, assuming you have 240 "golfable" days per year. That makes slightly more sense but is still incredibly far fetched and would make for an unbelievably slow, crowded golf course. Just seems like a crazy number.

getgolfed,

our course is busy. proshop does a good business. youth leagues and instruction as well.

the more the merrier.

Arrowhead in Wheaton is a 27 hole facility, and per their 2017 annual report, had just under 47,000 rounds. The two Naperhell courses averaged 36,500 rounds or 73,000 total. Sportsman's having nearly 40% more rounds is a bit tough to comprehend.

getgolfed,

the more the merrier.

Arrowhead in Wheaton is a 27 hole facility, and per their 2017 annual report, had just under 47,000 rounds. The two Naperhell courses averaged 36,500 rounds or 73,000 total. Sportsman's having nearly 40% more rounds is a bit tough to comprehend.

don't shoot the messenger fellas. I simply read the accountants report and shared the word.

63000 one year, 66000 another.

as Argonne pointed out, we have a nine minute tee time spread. very do-able.

curious, are the price points at the courses out west similar to ours?

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

Park districts and cities always inflate figures to support their story. I worked for the federal government for 8 years reviewing city docs. A master plan having nearly 10m in renovations for a golf course and clubhouse wouldn’t pass unless there was dollars support, perceived or real.. Everyone knows that rounds played and people playing is down and chicago isn’t immune to this.

The nine hole course at Sportsman's is a separate course, so on paper the two courses had be packed at the same time. With a 27 hole facility, e.g. Cantigny, Arrowhead, Carillon, they generally use the third nine in the normal rotation for a 50% bump in capacity. Does Arrowhead get a lot of nine hole rounds on a single nine on any day?

don't shoot the messenger fellas. I simply read the accountants report and shared the word.

63000 one year, 66000 another.

as Argonne pointed out, we have a nine minute tee time spread. very do-able.

I don't think anyone is shooting the messenger but just trying to make sense of numbers that seem incredibly inflated. My thought all along was what adschus just stated...they boosted the numbers in order to get the project and funding approved. Anyone that took 5 minute to run the numbers would realize that even at 9 minute intervals it's nearly impossible to get 65,000 rounds. If you had 250 golf weather days per year you would still need 260 golfers per day every single day. I don't know how they account for outings in these reports. It's entirely possible that they inflate the number of people golfing in those events or they count 18 hole rounds as two "rounds".