2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

"Well, the key is to not have to rely on a game winning drive."

... Is that you Coach Fox?

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

... Even though I have lived in Chicago for 40 years now, for me at least having grown up in the south, high heat is uncomfortable but it is the extreme cold that is unbearable. A trade off I am more than willing to make.

Understood for sure. May-Oct (6 months) you are looking at 90-110 degrees. I knows its dry heat, but still..

You can try and play super early these months.

... I enjoy playing in 90* heat and am pretty comfortable up to 100*. I have done this many times in humid conditions with some wind as well as dry heat. To be fair, I have had 2 back surgeries and prefer 90* to 60* as it keeps my back loose. Now I hear ya and 110* is a different animal and imagine I would have to spend some time in a pool when it gets that hot. The only snow I ever want to see for the rest of my life is an Ansel Adams calendar or rewatching The Hateful Eight. :beach:

Bears have played much better this year (than I anticipated). Couple of things I would like to see improved:

- Ability to run the ball between the tackles especially in the 2nd half when they are playing decent teams. Howard is a beast but he needs at least some blocking. Great teams have an effective inside running even when the D knows they will be running. Effective means 3 to 4 yds. Mark my words, they are going to need this facet when the weather gets real nasty in Soldier Field.

- Again when playing decent teams, the bear's offense comes out of the gate fast. However, in the 2nd half, the offense is not as effective. It seems the decent teams make good adjustments for their defense and the bears offense is not making the right adjustments.

- If Trubisky keeps improving, very well could be the best QB Chicago has ever had. But, let's face it, that's not saying much. He has to cut down on those loose throws (Vikes dropped a couple relatively easy interceptions). Overall, very impressed with him plus he has alot real good receivers and the O line has pass blocked pretty well.

Bears defense is probably the best D in the NFL.

15 hcp

... Just remember the first 15 plays are scripted. They go over and over them in practice and Trubisky and the offense knows exactly what to expect. You're right, the next step is continuing the success of those first 15 plays into the 2nd half. And Nagy is well are of needing to run between the tackles as well as elsewhere and has stated he is working on that and the run game needs to improve if they make the playoffs. Non other than Rex Ryan said the Bears are absolutely the best defense in the NFL after the Vikings game.

The only snow I ever want to see for the rest of my life is an Ansel Adams calendar or rewatching The Hateful Eight. :beach:

Amen :)

I am not in a position to move right now, but I do constantly think about this as well. Life is short and you need to go after it.. Might end up being the snow bird route for me. We'll see.

... I enjoy playing in 90* heat and am pretty comfortable up to 100*. I have done this many times in humid conditions with some wind as well as dry heat. To be fair, I have had 2 back surgeries and prefer 90* to 60* as it keeps my back loose. Now I hear ya and 110* is a different animal and imagine I would have to spend some time in a pool when it gets that hot. The only snow I ever want to see for the rest of my life is an Ansel Adams calendar or rewatching The Hateful Eight. :beach:

I had to Google Ansel Adams in incognito mode just in case I thought it might be, it maybe, something else.... Carry on.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

One thing I really hate about Bears fans is comparing Trubisky to MaHomes, who is a once in a lifetime talent and the best rookie QB I have ever seen. Drew Brees in Jay Cutlers body and if he stays healthy will probably break every record. Fans should compare Trubisky to Watson, Prescott, Mayfield, Darnold, Allen and Rosen.

Why would you compare him to Mayfield, Darnold, Allen and Rosen? They're rookies not second year vets.

Mahomes and Watson are exactly who they should be comparing him to since they're the quarterbacks the Bears passed on for MT.

In fact, Mahomes and Mitch are running almost the same offense with similarly talented play makers around them.

MT is a talented player, but he's a little inaccurate for my tastes. He misses way too many downfield throws. That's where Mahomes separates himself from MT.

Once defenses catch on to their "razzle dazzle" college offense, he'll have to make some real throws and then we'll see if he's a franchise qb or not.

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

... My last post on this as we can do this all day long. First, MaHomes learned the offense for an entire year before becoming the starter which is HUGE. Second, nobody compares to MaHomes and I am guessing almost every team in the NFL would trade their starting QB for him right now and throw in a draft pick too. He is the best rookie starting QB I have ever seen. So go ahead and compare Trubisky to MaHomes if that makes you happy, admittedly he will fail the comparison. I did say compare him to Watson and Prescott. The reason I said compare hm to Mayfield, Darnold, Allen and Rosen is they all have many more starts than Mitch so they may be rookies in the NFL but they all have much more experience. And with only 13 games in college I think Fox actually set him back in development, so he had to overcome that with Nagy and it was clear he was thinking through the first part of the season. You cannot play QB while thinking, or at least you can't play it well consistently and it absolutely effects accuracy. Once he starts to react and play not think and play, we all see how high his ceiling really is.

Anyone planning to venture out tomorrow morning? It's not looking particularly good. Friday looks like a very nice day, but unfortunately I have to work. I'd like to get out on Saturday, but it'll depend on the rain. Sunday should be dry in the AM.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Most greens up by me still have snow on them. Friday and Saturday look good though. Hope it stays that way.

Anyone planning to venture out tomorrow morning? It's not looking particularly good. Friday looks like a very nice day, but unfortunately I have to work. I'd like to get out on Saturday, but it'll depend on the rain. Sunday should be dry in the AM.

We played Sanctuary today. It was in pretty good shape, all things considered. There's no more snow to deal with and the fairways were actually giving some roll. The lack of tree coverage allowed the course to dry up a little bit after the snow. The parking lot had more cars in it than I expected but we didn't have to wait on anyone until the 18th hole. I started the round with 11 straight pars, bogied 12 and 13, and finished by parring 14-18. The 9th, 12th, and 18th holes were all playing with the wind right in our face. That wasn't ideal in mid-30s temps since the ball just fell out of the air. However, the rest of the round was really pleasant. 74. Friday looks very nice but, with rain on the weekend and snow next week, this could be it for the season.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Hope everyone had a good thanksgiving. Beautiful 65* weather here in St. Louis, played in shorts and short sleeves on Thanksgiving, I'll take it. 4 rounds the last 5 days, will probably be how I round out my year. Hit 70 rounds yesterday, so not too bad for never playing when it was really below 50 or in too bad of conditions. Going to SF for work in January, may try to go in a weekend before and drive down to Spyglass to kick off my year. Want something to look forward to.

I totally wussed out today. I had the morning open, and was hoping that it would be in the low 40's, but it looks like the warm-up won't happen until this afternoon. It sure looks like the local season went out with a whimper. Tomorrow and Sunday looks wet, but I'll play it by ear.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Hmmm. Faced with the choice between climbing around the roof to hang Christmas lights or taking advantage of this gift in the mid to high 40s?

Survey says: headed to Prairie Bluff to try out my new Shot Tracer app. Not the most challenging layout this time of year, but I expect to need the forgiveness. Plus, the course is wide open so I can record my shots without worrying about people behind me.

Yeah, it turned out to be a very nice day. The winds were no where as bad as predicted, and the temps warmed up quickly. Sigh. Hopefully there will be a few holes in the radar tomorrow morning.

Played Lake Bluff this afternoon. Conditions were decent. Certainly a bit wet in spots. Greens were smooth but slooooooooow! I forgot how long the par 3's were out there. A few of them were 200+ and then into the wind. We for some reason decided to play from the backs which were about 6500, and then I'm sure it was closer to 7,000 with all the plugging and no roll going on. Still was fun to get out. Used the Ace cart cover I picked up recently and it worked perfectly. Got really windy and cool on the back 9. $60 well spent!

Hopefully we'll get out somewhere tomorrow. Then of course 4-8 inches of snow Sunday into Monday.

e15176832dbf3ad7f4b8c4df308a3f79.jpg2d820fa45fb2ed19c771bb20d392af8e.jpg

We took advantage of the Black Friday $25 special at Oak Grove. Driving through Woodstock, it sure looked like there was going to be a lot of snow and ice on the course but Harvard was, against all logical odds, clear. Several of the greens were in the process of thawing after some overnight freezing last week but the areas in front were mostly soggy. That made for some interesting approach shots. I went with low spin balls that landed short but either eked onto the front or settled just off yet puttable. Ugly but effective. No birdies since the greens were too inconsistent to roll in anything outside of 4 feet and I'm just not much of a putter despite my rotating collection of flatsticks, but I only had 4 bogies (1, 6, 13, and 15) for a 75 to likely close out the season. From the blue tees with the wind right in my face, the sixth hole was playing about 680 yards. A bogey there felt like a par.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

" Driving through Woodstock, it sure looked like there was going to be a lot of snow and ice on the course but Harvard was, against all logical odds, clear. Several of the greens were in the process of thawing after some overnight freezing last week"

... You people are bat-sh!t crazy but brave souls and I tip my cap to you all:

Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot,

But he'll remember, with advantages,

What feats he did that day. Then shall our names,

Familiar in his mouth as household words—

Kristopher the King, Hartman and DPelz,

Argonne and DeeBee, Geochitown and TheCrook

Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.

This story shall the good man teach his son;

And Chicago Winter Golf shall ne'er go by,

From this day to the ending of the world,

But we in it shall be rememberèd—

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;

For he to-day that sheds his bogies with me

Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,

This day shall gentle his condition;

And gentlemen in the Midwest now a-bed

Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,

And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks

That fought the frigid course upon Chicago Winter Golf.

Played Wednesday at Prairie Bluff. Was a little colder than I wanted but it was tolerable. I went out as a riding single and on the 10 the hole caught up to a single walker on the 10th hole. He had just teed off when I drove up to the tee box and he proceeded down the fairway. I figured I was not going to wait behind him so I drove up to him on the fairway and asked him if there were any groups in front of him. He responds "no". I tell him I'm going to the 11th and he responds "Keep pace because I want to finish before dark". I respond " You won't have to worry about me keeping pace" Thought it was odd for him to say that given I caught up to him and I'm riding. Later in the back nine, I saw him and he was 3 holes behind me.

Anyhoo, shot a scruffy 85 and actually hit a lob over a the trap and holed out ! It was cool because I could not see the hole but heard the flag rattle figuring I probably lipped out.

15 hcp

Honored by your favourable mention, Sir Chisag.

tomorrow morning's outlook brought forth two omens. rain and wind. the severe cold has been forestalled.

our play at the TPC of Northbrook is anxiously anticipated.

likely the last time we shall traipse that marsh this year.

I daresay a flask in the side pocket would add to the enjoyment.

best to all.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Blustery day at Prairie Bluff, but not too bad with a couple layers on to keep warm. Saw people on maybe four other holes, so it was nice to be able to play a couple of balls all the way through.

The course was in great shape. The fairways were soft but not really wet, and the greens were recently top dressed and a little slow, but they ran true.

Played sunset valley today. Strong winds and slow greens, but at least was able to play. Supposed to rain all night long. Depending on how much we actually get and conditions tomorrow may go out tomorrow as well (somewhere). And then it’s probably over for the season unless we get lucky with some Indian summer.

Went to the course and the wind was so strong it kept blowing my hat off.

After about ten minutes of putting I decided to call it a year.

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

I woke up before sunrise, and checked the radar. There was a trailing line of showers about to pass through the area, so I figured if I teed off around 7:30 am I'd be safe. I called Glencoe, and got a recorded message that the course would be open and walking only. I pulled into the parking lot at 7:30 am, and there was nobody there. 'Got my gear together and headed to the pro shop only to find it locked. The office in the main building was empty, too. So, I headed to the 1st tee and proceeded to have the course to myself. I didn't see another person until I made the turn at 9. When I finished the round there were maybe ten vehicles in the parking lot.

Conditions were wet, but playable. The greens were in very nice shape, and were rolling with moderate speeds. The worst part was that the geese had carpet bombed a number of the fairways, and it was quite a mess in spots. With temps in the mid-40's, and light winds, it was a fairly pleasant day to be out. The sun even poked out a few times. I finished my round in 2:20, stopped at the pro shop to pay, packed my gear, and went to grab brunch. After a quick meal I looked at tomorrow's forecast, and the rains look like they're going to hit in the early morning, along with strong winds. Sooooo, back to the course for a 2nd round. What the heck, this might be it for the season.

Decent first round ballstriking with 9 fairways and 12 greens. Two birdies offset four bogies, and I had 3 nice scrambles. The second round was a mess, as I was pretty much spent from walking two rounds in wet conditions. I still managed to break 80, but it I wasn't pretty. The winds had picked up, and I was struggling to hit greens. Oh well, it was still fun to get out there.

I woke up before sunrise, and checked the radar. There was a trailing line of showers about to pass through the area, so I figured if I teed off around 7:30 am I'd be safe. I called Glencoe, and got a recorded message that the course would be open and walking only. I pulled into the parking lot at 7:30 am, and there was nobody there. 'Got my gear together and headed to the pro shop only to find it locked. The office in the main building was empty, too. So, I headed to the 1st tee and proceeded to have the course to myself. I didn't see another person until I made the turn at 9. When I finished the round there were maybe ten vehicles in the parking lot.

Conditions were wet, but playable. The greens were in very nice shape, and were rolling with moderate speeds. The worst part was that the geese had carpet bombed a number of the fairways, and it was quite a mess in spots. With temps in the mid-40's, and light winds, it was a fairly pleasant day to be out. The sun even poked out a few times. I finished my round in 2:20, stopped at the pro shop to pay, packed my gear, and went to grab brunch. After a quick meal I looked at tomorrow's forecast, and the rains look like they're going to hit in the early morning, along with strong winds. Sooooo, back to the course for a 2nd round. What the heck, this might be it for the season.

Decent first round ballstriking with 9 fairways and 12 greens. Two birdies offset four bogies, and I had 3 nice scrambles. The second round was a mess, as I was pretty much spent from walking two rounds in wet conditions. I still managed to break 80, but it I wasn't pretty. The winds had picked up, and I was struggling to hit greens. Oh well, it was still fun to get out there.

Played Glencoe today at 10:30. Yes, the geese poop was everywhere. Most likely my last calendar year round in Chicago. Snow is coming tomorrow and cold temps for the foreseeable future. Will be in California though at the end of December and will play there. In the meantime gonna work indoors on simulator.

range at seven fifteen, started play at eight.

bit of misty rain for the first maybe ninety minutes, then a light wind and dry skies.

the course was kind of watch where you walk wet.

soft enough that drives would plug. clean the ball, no harm - no foul.

the few bunkers we encountered were soft and fluffy. full swing type recoveries.

wrapped up in a leisurely three and a quarter. saw maybe twelve vehicles in the lot.

FYI, the PGA sale in Highwood is Cash Only, if anyone is heading up there.

I was north of there on Rte 41 and headed over to take a look at what they had remaining.

lots of shirts, bags full of wedges, this and that.

not too many shoppers in there this afternoon.

how much does the liquidator give them for the remaining stuff ?

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

You played for free?

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna