Jones Bag Users

PCH - I like super light bags as I almost exclusively carry 14 clubs. I've had the Utility bag for about a year. Observations

- Great Look

- A bit heavy for my tastes (says 5 lbs empty, but feels a bit more)

- Decent pockets for me (as a carrier I don't necessarily cart a ton of stuff, but no problem with rain gear - when necessary, cell phone, glasses, etc.)

- No good water bottle spot, which isn't a huge deal but that pocket is a bit funky

- Is starting to wear a bit on the seams (probably played 40 heavy rounds and traveled with this bag)

- Very good / reliable stand

- Funky straps that take some getting used to, but once they do - I think they're very comfortable

- I carry 14 clubs, regular grip putter. Getting clubs in and out is a 6-7 on a 10 point scale. Think with a super stroke putter grip, that may drop to a 5 or so

All that being said, I wish I had gotten something lighter (either the players bag, or maybe the sun mountain 2.5)

I have had my Utility Series bag for about a month now. I have walked 18 with it and have used it to know the pros and cons. First off, the looks are awesome. I love how unique it is and I know it definitely gets some looks by people wondering what bag it is. The strap system at first was a little annoying. However, the main strap is the most padded and comfortable strap on a golf bag I have ever used. Also, after walking 18, the dual strap system becomes a breeze to use and now I love it more than ever. I love the magnetic flap pocket, perfect for my range finder. It allows quick and easy access. The only con I have with the bag is that the clubs tend to get stuck and either don't want to come out without pulling other clubs or they don't want to go in all of the way which drives me a little crazy. I have 14 clubs in the bag. Overall, I love the bag and wouldn't think about playing with another one. I think if they just widened the base a little bit, the club issue would be completely resolved. Awesome bag, thanks Jones!

32294569911_104939d507_h.jpgIMG_2615 by Cliff Ferguson, on Flickr

Looking at getting the utility bag, any longer term gripes with this one?

Still loving the bag. Every now and then I have a hard time getting the clubs in and out. I have tried rearranging them in different slots but it still seems to be a minor problem. It has such a cool look to it and I really like it a lot. The straps are easy to use now and I use just one strap a lot b/c it is so padded and comfortable.

I got one of their random sale original carry bags for $60, a month or so ago. I was expecting something ridiculous, but I received a beautiful black and white bag with NO LOGO whatsoever. I could not find a flaw of any kind, and am a happy camper. I got my first Jones (from the 70's) about twenty years ago at a yard sale for $2, and used it till it was hopelessly tattered.

Four or five years go, I bought a gray/red/white/blue US Open bag at full price. It sits as a display with my hickory clubs, but I will use it. The recent B&W bag is fantastic, and I retired my Sun Mountain Sunday bag, and use the Jones exclusively.

I am a minimalist, 5-7 clubs all the time. Works well for me. If riding in a cart, place an umbrella in the sleeve designed for it. The umbrella gives the bag rigidity, but I walk 95% of the time, and the Jones is made for walking.

Those random chance sales are worth taking advantage of.

Fantastic bags!

Question for you that have the "players" series bags. How do they travel? Any issues with it being so small it might not protect your clubs? Looks like a sweet bag!

Taylor Made M5 - Project X HZRDUS Hulk 6.5 TX Taylor Made M6 - Tensei White 80 TX Miura MC 501 3-9 KBS C Taper 130 Vokey F Grind 46* - 51* Oil Can 56* K grind - 60* V grind Scotty Cameron 009 Oil Can

Question for you that have the "players" series bags. How do they travel? Any issues with it being so small it might not protect your clubs? Looks like a sweet bag!

It is a great bag for sure. It is not a bag that you can snap a hood on and throw on an airplane. Heck, you don't even want it on the bottom of a heap in the trunk. But it is great at what it is intended for...

It is a great bag for sure. It is not a bag that you can snap a hood on and throw on an airplane. Heck, you don't even want it on the bottom of a heap in the trunk. But it is great at what it is intended for...

I was more talking about putting this into a "travel" golf bag (club glove) for transport on an airplane. I was more curious if people had done that or not??? I just ordered the players championship addition.

Taylor Made M5 - Project X HZRDUS Hulk 6.5 TX Taylor Made M6 - Tensei White 80 TX Miura MC 501 3-9 KBS C Taper 130 Vokey F Grind 46* - 51* Oil Can 56* K grind - 60* V grind Scotty Cameron 009 Oil Can

• 2 weeks later...

I have the following Jones Bags:

Masters Edition Original--love the bag, just haven't used it much

Navy Blue Rider--was great on a cart (now used as a display bag in my office)

Player's Series #002--awesome "Sunday" bag

Utility Slate Grey

Currently using the Utility and I think it may be my favorite bag I have owned. It is super light (I have 14 in there) and impeccably balanced. The straps have been great as I like to go single strap at times. More than ample storage, and simple the best lookng stand bag out there.

Cannot agree more, style is unbeatable! Great post

I have the following:

Black Rider Bag -- Used it on my push cart, but now I use it for storage.

Players 001 -- First one I purchased and I love it. I need to replace the felt on the divider before I can use it again.

Slate Utility Bag -- Love this bag. I replaced my 3.5 Sun Mountain with this bag. Both are great, but I like the style of this one more and the monogram looks good too.

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 9* w/ UST Linq Red 8F5

Callaway Rogue 3 LS Wood w/ UST Linq Blue 8F5

Callaway UW 19* w VA Baddazz 70X

Titleist T100 ‘21 4-9 w/ TT X100

Vokey 46* w/ TT X100

Vokey 50, 54 and 58* w/ BGT ZNE 130

L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 (Red) Broomstick

• 2 weeks later...

Do you Jones original users store your bags at the course/club? I worry the lack of structure won't protect the clubs enough when some teenagers are handling my bag for storage.

Don't want anyone handling my golf bag. I put mine in my locker myself.

With some people, any bag would subject to damage.

Many people just don't care. Not just teenagers, the same kind of people that bang car doors on other peoples' cars work at golf courses, too.

When I was a young guy many years ago, I knew of a guy that worked at a deli a short time, before he was fired. He did a lot of horrible stuff, like dropping lunch meat on the ground, and giving it to a customer. All kind of ignorant stuff. He laughed about it even after he was fired.

Your comment reminds me of the TV commercial with the gorilla throwing around the Samsonite suitcase? Does anyone remember it?

To answer your question without jest, the Jones bag is lighter and less durable than a bag that has a rigid plastic liner. Light weight is what makes it a great carry bag.

I apologize for any digression from your question.

• 3 weeks later...

Just picked up a Players model today - let's see how it compares to the Original!

Curious to know your thoughts. I'm considering a Jones players bag.

This is a good looking setup! I've got a MacKenzie Walker from 20 years ago, and a Jones Players Bag from this year. And used the original Jones through high school and college. The only gripe I've got with the players bag is that it is about an inch or so too tall. If I use a 34 in putter, I've got to get a tube or something as it gets lost down in the bag...

Just picked up a Players model today - let's see how it compares to the Original!

Just played my first round with it today. I like the strap better than the original model - has rubber on it which grips your shoulder. Not fond of the top dividers at the moment but maybe I'll get use to it (pics of the 2 model differences below). I like the 3 divided areas better since I can place my putter separate. Also not sure about the back compartment differences between the two models - the original model has it's back compartment which runs the full length of the bag but the player's is half of that. It's no biggie BUT I like the layout of the Original model better. I'm not complaining though and can over look those areas since I got a great deal on a water resistance model.

Handicap:  3

This is a good looking setup! I've got a MacKenzie Walker from 20 years ago, and a Jones Players Bag from this year. And used the original Jones through high school and college. The only gripe I've got with the players bag is that it is about an inch or so too tall. If I use a 34 in putter, I've got to get a tube or something as it gets lost down in the bag...

Interesting. I'll have to check that out. There's a guy at my course that has one, I'll definitely look into it. Thanks for the insight!

TSR3 Driver 8.25*
TSR3 3W 15*

TSR2 7W 20*
Miura TC-201 4-PW
NCW 55*, 60*
Bettinardi SS16
TP5x

Just played my first round with it today. I like the strap better than the original model - has rubber on it which grips your shoulder. Not fond of the top dividers at the moment but maybe I'll get use to it (pics of the 2 model differences below). I like the 3 divided areas better since I can place my putter separate. Also not sure about the back compartment differences between the two models - the original model has it's back compartment which runs the full length of the bag but the player's is half of that. It's no biggie BUT I like the layout of the Original model better. I'm not complaining though and can over look those areas since I got a great deal on a water resistance model.

Thanks for the insight. I've never had a Jones so I don't have anything to compare it to in that regard. I currently have a hoofer and it's a great bag, I just love the idea of going minimal.

You have a sweet little set up there. Loving the mizuno minimalist idea. Especially the putter (I was just checking out your WITB).

TSR3 Driver 8.25*
TSR3 3W 15*

TSR2 7W 20*
Miura TC-201 4-PW
NCW 55*, 60*
Bettinardi SS16
TP5x