Jones Bag Users

Just picked up a Players model today - let's see how it compares to the Original!

Curious to know your thoughts. I'm considering a Jones players bag.

Just played my first round with it today. I like the strap better than the original model - has rubber on it which grips your shoulder. Not fond of the top dividers at the moment but maybe I'll get use to it (pics of the 2 model differences below). I like the 3 divided areas better since I can place my putter separate. Also not sure about the back compartment differences between the two models - the original model has it's back compartment which runs the full length of the bag but the player's is half of that. It's no biggie BUT I like the layout of the Original model better. I'm not complaining though and can over look those areas since I got a great deal on a water resistance model.

Thanks for the insight. I've never had a Jones so I don't have anything to compare it to in that regard. I currently have a hoofer and it's a great bag, I just love the idea of going minimal.

You have a sweet little set up there. Loving the mizuno minimalist idea. Especially the putter (I was just checking out your WITB).

Thanks!

Handicap:  3

My Jones on the course today...

2a43fe28c3963852dbd5bf6d1b2d50f7.jpg

Love the towel and headcover combo with this one. Where are they from?

The towel is Uther (got if from Amazon) and the covers are all leather Dormie Workshop.

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

I am looking at getting a Jones Stand bag. I agree with some others that a 8 1/2" opening would put this bag over the top in ease of use. I would also be interested in some of the fabrics I have seen like the Waxed canvas/tin clothe or leather, does Jones offer these options as limited runs, or as custom orders? How do you go about getting a special construction? I do like the Greyson bag and I believe it is reasonably priced how much would a custom fabric increase cost? A little naïve on the brand and would appreciate any advise or direction. The look is great and the quality appears to be very good.

• 1 month later...

I've never seen a jones bag with leather. The vinyl can look like leather. I bought a stripeshow model last year and gaming it now. It's full vinyl vs vinyl/canvas combo. Really like it. I did purchase a waxed canvas model but sold it as I liked the stripeshow better. Not worth the big jump in price from what I've seen. Believe they are all limited runs. They aren't currently offering the waxed model.

I've never seen a jones bag with leather. The vinyl can look like leather. I bought a stripeshow model last year and gaming it now. It's full vinyl vs vinyl/canvas combo. Really like it. I did purchase a waxed canvas model but sold it as I liked the stripeshow better. Not worth the big jump in price from what I've seen. Believe they are all limited runs. They aren't currently offering the waxed model.

They still have waxed models (material: #10 Duck Water Repellent Canvas) but I don't care for the colors:

Handicap:  3

Another round walking with the Jones Utility bag in light gray. The smaller opening is not a deal breaker to me (13 clubs) and LOVE the straps! Just bought the all black rider bag today and will give it a go on my ClicGear tomorrow....their colors look so much better in person and the Greyson Utility Bag looks so high end I know I’m going to go pick one up soon (I’m a local). Apparently they just shipped Greyson’s to Bieber and Timberlake when he was at Tahoe.

I was in the showroom this week and if you’re interested in the Utility Light Gray they are out of stock. However, there was a Light Gray display model on their floor that if you call and mention it, they may give you a break on the price...not sure but it would not hurt to ask...

Thank you for the heads up

Is it weird that I just wish it was real herringbone wool/tweed?

Not weird! But living in the PNW I play a bit of wet golf and appreciate the waterproof pockets/zippers and materials. Didn’t know how tired I’d grown of the huge logos on bags. I have the all black Rider now for my ClicGear and SoCal golf trips where I spend part of the winter.

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased a Utility Series bag during the Jones Black Friday sale last year. I walk/push nearly all of my rounds and have probably played 50-60 rounds at this point this year. This can be considered a long term review.

Looks: best looking bag I've ever had. I have the dark grey and I get compliments all the time. I've even convinced a few friends to get their own just by showing up with it!

Stand: this is a stiff stand out of the box but it has held up very well, especially compared to the Pings and Sun Mountains I've had before. No leg drop yet, and the base is beefy. Alignment sticks sometimes poke out, but not a big deal.

Durability: again, this bag has been extremely durable. I put my bags through a lot - the build, fabric and structural materials have shown very little wear. The only significant wear I've noticed is the painted metal strap rings. Not sure why they were painted in the first place since this is an area of constant friction, but it doesn't bother me. What has impressed me most is that the fabric color has barely faded, whereas other manufacturers colors fade after 6-8 months of use for me.

Utility: This is an area where the bag sadly does not live up to its name. The pockets aren't very big and don't organize what I carry very well. If you want to pack rain gear and along with the rest of your standard gear, forget it (you'd think with a company based in Oregon this would be a bigger priority). The water bottle pocket is perfect for a 20 oz yeti, which is all I carry.

My biggest disappointment is the size of the club opening. This opening is completely insufficient for anyone with 14 clubs with midsize grips and up. I don't understand why an 8.5 or 9" top wasn't used for this "modern" bag.

Overall: this bag is just oozes cool and is built extremely well, but the utility leaves a lot to be desired. Jones, I appreciate your desire to stick to the original core design values; however, in this day you've GOT to create an opening that can accommodate larger grips. I'd be a customer for life all else equal.

Ping G430 LST - Ventus Black TR 6X

Taylormade Brnr Mini - Ventus Red TR 7X

Taylormade Sim Ti 5 - Ventus Red TR 8X

Callaway UT 21*, Ventus Black 9TX

Callaway UT 24*, Ventus Black 9TX
Ping i210 5-W - $ Taper 130X

Taylormade MG4 - 50SB, 56SB, 60TW - MMT 125TX
Ping PLD Tyne

I agree on most of your review as my Greyson Utility never fails to get positive comments! However, I use Golf Pride Tour velvet (.580 rounds) on all my clubs except my putter which has a P2 Aware Tour and love the snugness and the fact I don’t rattle down the fairway like a larger top does. I carry 13. Pockets are perfect for my needs I suppose when I do my Bandon trips and wet golf, my rain gear will be a bit crammed but oh well...

• 3 weeks later...