Can you win your club championship?

[quote name='SMAKCruiser' timestamp='1437486857' post='11991626']
I expect to win... why bother even entering if you don't think you can win?
[/quote]

Well u have 2,1 in hcp. I play for a club that has tons of players much better than u and im also alot better than u if u look at hcp. If u expect to win with 2,1 in hcp, your club doesnt have alot of good golfers.....

[quote name='meldelaget' timestamp='1438610646' post='12069070']
[/quote]

Well u have 2,1 in hcp. I play for a club that has tons of players much better than u and im also alot better than u if u look at hcp. If u expect to win with 2,1 in hcp, your club doesnt have alot of good golfers.....
[/quote]

Well this seems a little harsh......

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

[quote name='lutomrSC' timestamp='1437495620' post='11992612']
Yes I have a very good chance at winning my club championship. In fact I'm the one everyone expects to win. I should have won last year but had a ball move on the green when I addressed it and it cost me a double when I should have made par. I ended up losing by 2 shots and placed 3rd. This year our County AM is at my course so I kind of feel like I have 2 club championships to shoot for and I expect to win both. If I play my best game there's not reason I can't win.

More importantly though is why are you worried about this? If you don't honestly feel in your mind you can win something then you won't. We all know how powerful the mind is in this game, and if you've already convinced yourself that unless everyone of the top players at your club loses their swing that you can't win, then you've already determined your own fate. You have to go into a competition with the mind set of a champion. You can't think about winning a multi day competition before it's even begun. If you play 2 or 3 days and get yourself within 5-6 shots of the lead then you can think about it going into the final round. There can only be one champion everyone else loses. Golf is a tough game in that regard. If you can't handle that don't compete, just play for fun. If you worried less about the outcome and focused more on the process of hitting shots and playing the game that's presented to you that day, you'd probably surprise yourself.

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1437485130' post='11991466']
A spin off thread from Larrybud's thread about finally winning his CC.

For those of you who play, are you going in with a realistic shot at winning?

Ours is this weekend. It would take a "perfect storm" of events for me to win. The club's best player left last year, and player 1A only plays every so often. Then there are another five to ten others who would be in the mix, with me maybe being at the very tail end of that grouping. I would have to get pretty hot to pull it off. For reference, I'm a five which is the break point for championship flight.

How about all of you out there, expectations?
[/quote]
[/quote]

Ha, it's ironic because exact same thing happened to me last year's club stroke play(not seniors). 1st day, ball moved when I addressed my bogey tap in after missing a 3-4 footer for par, double bogeyed that hole due to my boneheaded penalty. Played like crap 2nd day, lost by 1 with a bogey on easy par 5 18th hole to a fellow WRX'er.

I played in senior club championship stroke play this summer, won it easily by 7 shots, my 20th club championship in stroke and match play. I probably should've played with younger guys this year, better competition.

My club uses this tournament as qualifier for our annual Ryder Cup style matches with a nearby club. Ladies, seniors and open guys plays in those 2 day matches for a single trophy. Always have fun playing against those guys, drinking some brews and BS'ing with them. There are several players who has no chance winning the club championship but they try to play their way on the team.

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Stealth 10.5, GD XC-6 stiff

TM Qi10 3HL GD DI-7 stiff

TM SIM2 Rescue 19* & 23*

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

[quote name='bazinky' timestamp='1438185699' post='12041536']
[quote name='patrick421' timestamp='1438181703' post='12041068']
A net club championship is farce and should never happen I don't care what the age or level of play the majority of the members are. Can't believe this even goes on.
[/quote]

Do some clubs actually have a "net" club champion? We have net winners in each flight, but it's the top gross player in each flight that earns the respective championship.
[/quote]

In mine, after they're flighted, they still give shots in their match play events. Not sure if it's net for the qualifying the flights over Championship flight.

[/quote]

[/quote]

As a 2.0 cap myself that's a little off base but seems to be more of a troll comment but I'll bite. Anyone carrying that handicap means they are capable of shooting even par or better. Just may not be as consistent as a plus cap player.

I have a handful of at or around even rounds this year. We have a few players at our club that are plus handicaps and a boatload between 0 and 3. Every year our championship title is won at a few over par with the way the course is setup (Par 71 73.9/137 rating). I also beat our plus caps in match play events pretty regularly (the championship flight of the season long match play is gross not net scoring) and won that title in 2013.

So yes I think I can win, sure it's longer odds for me to put together 3 rounds of 72/73 but I've finished T2 now twice in the last 5 years.

Ping G25 9.5* Aldila Rogue Black 60S
Callaway X2Hot Pro 15* Aldila Tour Green 75S
TM Rescue 11 18* Aldila RIP 85X
Mizuno MP54 KBS Tour 120S
Vokey 51, Cleveland 588 55/60 KBS Tour 130X
Scotty Futura X5

[quote name='Drudersh' timestamp='1438610901' post='12069100']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Well this seems a little harsh......
[/quote]

Neh not harsh, but difference between having a chance at winning and expecting to win with 2,1 in hcp. I have + hcp and have a chance at winning but i have to average under par on a difficult 7200 yards course for 4 rounds to win so i dont expect to win. So many good players(some challenge tour/web.com tour level players) that playing four rounds at even never is good enough. And playing under par four days in a row on a hard course is not easy specially when golf isnt your job so i cant play every day.

I'll let you know on August 30th, the day after our Championship.......

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

[quote name='meldelaget' timestamp='1438610646' post='12069070'][quote name='SMAKCruiser' timestamp='1437486857' post='11991626']
[/quote]

Well u have 2,1 in hcp. I play for a club that has tons of players much better than u and im also alot better than u if u look at hcp. If u expect to win with 2,1 in hcp, your club doesnt have alot of good golfers.....[/quote]
I'll assume that English is not your first language so I won't rip you for sounding like a 7th grade D student in this post.
But back to the point. A 2 index for sure has a chance to win a CC even against scratch and better golfers. He will have to play lights out but it's possible. Just because someone is a scratch or better golfer does not automatically mean they will shoot at or under par.

Playing SCGA team play over the years I have faced (as a 3.0) scratch and +indexes and seen them shoot 69 and I've seen them shoot 80 while I fired off a 72 at them and won 4 and 3 or better.

So it can be done.

TM M2 2017 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 65 S
Ping G400 14.5 PING Tour 80g S
Ping Anser 17* 23* PING Tour  S
PING iE1 5-PW Modus3 105 S
PING Glide 2.0 50* 54* 60* Modus 115 Wedge S
BioMech 41"
NDMC Plus 4
ProV1

[/quote]

[/quote]Come on Dude, what kind of comment is this?

Yea, he's a -2, and I've played with -2's that took it sub 70 in tourneys and money games and anytimes you go sub 70, you gotta chance.

Like he said, if he doesn't expect to compete and win, why plant the tee?

There's no need to go negative on someone that ya don't even know ;)

And to do it on a golf board where we all come in here to talk to each other and tell our stories, both the good and the bad?

Come on Bro, you're better than this!!

I hope that you're having a nice season :)

Fairways & Greens My Friend,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

ours is on right now
its a 2 day event, 18 holes each day, and we have two different 18's as well
my really good friend (and member here) is the defending champ and currently leads by 6

I wasn't going to play but he talked me into it to support the club, which I can respect
We play from the tips and I havent shot below 78 this year from there, so I wasn't expecting much
well I shot 83 day one, w an 8....yes the snowman made his appearance on the card
and I missed 3 putts under 1 foot (guess I should start holing everything in everyday rounds LOL!)
so I mean you take that quad and three putts back and its not a bad day!

to answer the question, no I have no chance to win ours
I would have to shoot better than my best from the tips, in a tournament setting, so not likely from back there
but I'm out there to meet some new members, support my AWESOME club and have fun

PING G425 LST 9* | Kuro Kage TiNi DC 60 X
Taylormade M2 15* | RIP Beta 70 X

Callaway XHP 21* | RIP Alpha 90 X
*** Irons: OPEN *** 

Cleveland RTX 4 52/56* (mid) | DGS400
Titleist Vokey SM8 60*K | DGS400
Scotty Cameron Special Select FB 5.5 35"

[quote name='pingman35awg' timestamp='1439760594' post='12149548']
Just won my last matchplay match today 6 and 5. Now on to the final 4 which is 27 hole stroke play on Sept. 6 Im in the A flight as my current cap is 10.4 I played well today and shot 77. The guy only won one hole off of me.
[/quote]

[s]Sandbagger[/s] :tongue: Well done!

If I keep driving the ball the way I have, I certainly can win the second flight at my club. Creamed my first opponent, so I know I can keep my foot on the pedal better than previous years.

Mayfield Sand Ridge CC
Stealth Plus 9 Ventus TR Red 6S

Apex UW 17* AD-DI 7S 

Sim2 4 Rescue AD-DI 85S

ZX5 MKII 4-6 / ZX7 MKII 7-P Modus Limited 115

SM9 Raw 50-54-58

Spider Hydroblast short slant 

Yeah, I think I can win. Eventhough I consistently loose to the current club champ every Saturday morning. For me its just about competing. I try to play with him as much as possible. He brings out the best in my game. I've shot better every time we've played a match. I can keep up with him off the tee, but he gets up and down from everywhere. I've got 2 weeks until we tee it up, I'll be at the short game area.

Won my club championship when i was 15...im 20 now. Im in my final four next weekend as the #2 seed, we had 20 guys in our championship flight.

Club Championships are hard to win. Been to the final four 3 of the last 5 years and won 1 time

Driver: Tour Issued TaylorMade M4, 9.1 Deg // Matrix VLCT 60g X flex
3 Wood: Tour Issued TaylorMade M1, 3HL 17.1 Deg // Diamana D+ 82g X flex
3 Iron: Adams DHY 21 Deg // Matrix White Tie 83g X Flex
Irons: TaylorMade MC (2011) 4-PW // Project X 6.5
Wedges: Callaway MD4, 52, 56 & 60 // TT DG Tour Issued S200
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 
Bag: Titelst StaDry

Grip: GolfPride MCC Team Red/Yellow (Calgary Flames colors)

[quote name='Beastmode Broker' timestamp='1439731026' post='12147206']
ours is on right now
its a 2 day event, 18 holes each day, and we have two different 18's as well
my really good friend (and member here) is the defending champ and currently leads by 6

I wasn't going to play but he talked me into it to support the club, which I can respect
We play from the tips and I havent shot below 78 this year from there, so I wasn't expecting much
well I shot 83 day one, w an 8....yes the snowman made his appearance on the card
and I missed 3 putts under 1 foot (guess I should start holing everything in everyday rounds LOL!)
so I mean you take that quad and three putts back and its not a bad day!

to answer the question, no I have no chance to win ours
I would have to shoot better than my best from the tips, in a tournament setting, so not likely from back there
but I'm out there to meet some new members, support my AWESOME club and have fun
[/quote]

just to come back to this
we finished ours yesterday
my good buddy (and defending champion) won again w a two day score of 69, 72
his wife ALSO won the ladies club champ w scores of 85, 81
so cool they won together!

also, I went out and shot 74, which I was VERY pleased with
its my best score from the tips this year and it played long and tough into the breeze on some holes
putter let me down as much as it held me in it, so no complaints
was a lot of fun and can't wait for next year!!

PING G425 LST 9* | Kuro Kage TiNi DC 60 X
Taylormade M2 15* | RIP Beta 70 X

Callaway XHP 21* | RIP Alpha 90 X
*** Irons: OPEN *** 

Cleveland RTX 4 52/56* (mid) | DGS400
Titleist Vokey SM8 60*K | DGS400
Scotty Cameron Special Select FB 5.5 35"

Took home the member/member this past weekend which was a blast. Bogey free 67 was a big confidence booster on the second day.
We have a members club championship and a men's club championship both 36 hole stroke play. Should have a good chance, lots of 0's and a few pluses. I'm also in the semifinals of our scratch match play tournament so we'll see what happens there. Never know what happens but I'm looking to win the trio!

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1437485130' post='11991466']
A spin off thread from Larrybud's thread about finally winning his CC.

For those of you who play, are you going in with a realistic shot at winning?

Ours is this weekend. It would take a "perfect storm" of events for me to win. The club's best player left last year, and player 1A only plays every so often. Then there are another five to ten others who would be in the mix, with me maybe being at the very tail end of that grouping. I would have to get pretty hot to pull it off. For reference, I'm a five which is the break point for championship flight.

How about all of you out there, expectations?
[/quote]

Nope. Not a chance. I'll be playing in one of the non-championship flights. If I get below a 5, I may consider it. I'm not sure how long that's going to take, but I'm looking forward it.

Callaway Rogue ST MAX LS, Oban Devotion 6
Callaway Rogue ST 3 wood
PING G400 3h, 4h
Titleist T300 5i - GW (KBS C-Taper Lite)
Callaway PM Grind 54 and 58 Degree
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7

I feel like I have the raw talent and putting ability to win my CC. But, I need more reps to tighten up my lines and reduce my left miss with the driver. Also, need to spend more time on short game and bunker play. My plan for next year is to begin a rigorous strength training program, and spend about 2 hours more on my game per week.

[quote name='TheKrushh' timestamp='1439871417' post='12159334']
Took home the member/member this past weekend which was a blast. Bogey free 67 was a big confidence booster on the second day.
We have a members club championship and a men's club championship both 36 hole stroke play. Should have a good chance, lots of 0's and a few pluses. I'm also in the semifinals of our scratch match play tournament so we'll see what happens there. Never know what happens but I'm looking to win the trio!
[/quote]

Congrats and good luck.

If you don't mind me asking, what course are you a member at?

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

and the answer is NO apparently

Another top 4 last weekend, 5 blow up holes over 2 days did me in ( AGAIN! )

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

[quote name='masamitsu' timestamp='1439924690' post='12163248']
[quote name='TheKrushh' timestamp='1439871417' post='12159334']
[/quote]

Congrats and good luck.

If you don't mind me asking, what course are you a member at?
[/quote]

Not at all, I play at Highlands Ranch Golf Club. Yourself?

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

Ours just finished. For us A grade is handicaps 12 or better. 72 holes stroke play over 2 weekends. Winning score gross was -13 with second place at -6. For me with a handicap index of 7.9 that's just not going to happen! Nett was my goal and with 3 rounds of 89, 78, 86 that wasn't going to happen either so I spent the final Sunday with the family!

Unfortunately my CC falls in the middle of a 5 day job. The thoughts of my buddy having that parking spot and me having to see him use it when I pull up to it to play matches disgusts me. However I have a feeling he will let me bet him for the spot at some point if he wins and honestly he's the favorite. The only questions I have is A. Is that right? and B. How much would you put up to claim the parking spot if you couldn't play in your CC?