2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Can you win your club championship?

• 4 weeks later...

Well guys...

Got the job done in some nasty weather this weekend.

70-73 was good enough to win by a couple shots.

My first championship. Its been a long road, put a lot of hours on the range. Had some big time chokes over the last couple years.

I'm apparently the first guy in 12 years to win the matchplay and strokeplay events in the same season which was nice to hear.

Two guys have 17 of the last 20 club championships so it was nice to throw my name on the board and hang in there against some good players.

• 2 months later...

I'm not eligible to play in it, but I wouldn't have stood a chance this year anyway.

And while I obviously won't be eligible to play in next year's event either, I promise, I will be able to shoot the numbers that will win.

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

Well guys...

Got the job done in some nasty weather this weekend.

70-73 was good enough to win by a couple shots.

My first championship. Its been a long road, put a lot of hours on the range. Had some big time chokes over the last couple years.

I'm apparently the first guy in 12 years to win the matchplay and strokeplay events in the same season which was nice to hear.

Two guys have 17 of the last 20 club championships so it was nice to throw my name on the board and hang in there against some good players.

Congrats!........Huge milestone, at any club.....

Not anymore, no. I'm just happy to place high enough in my flight for free beer.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

LoL, Not a flippin chance.

Our championship is based on the season long member's best ball results with a final 18 to see what team wins.

My partner and i are in the middle of the pack in the first flight. 6 flights in total.

The team that has won the last 2 yrs is hard to beat. One of the members of that team was an assistant pro at a top rated course that will host any real high end tourney that comes to the province.

So us regular folk have no chance. The fellow is a great guy and would be one of the guys u would probably want to bet against, based on his mellow demeanour and looks. But lookout he is a Baby faced killer. lol

Yes theoretically I should have a good chance at winning it every year. That being said our club championship consists of 18 hole stroke play on Saturday to try and qualify for the championship flight. After that first round the top 8 guys go into match play on Sunday and is continued the following Saturday and Sunday. Golf is as much a mental game as anything and something about match play screws me up every time. I try to go in with the mentality if I beat the course I should be able to beat my competitor unless they beat the course by more than me. Once the round starts it always goes out the window. I've only had the opportunity to play in the Club champ twice and both times I was in good form leading up to it. The first time I shot 75 in qualifying then ended up losing on the 16th hole but played out the last two to finish with an 86 which was the worst score I posted all year. The second time I shot 72 in qualifying then ended up winning the first round on 18 but shot an 85 also the worst score I posted that year and got trounced in the next round losing on 14 and I was already 11 over at that point. I still don't know how to get over the mental block of match play but I'm hoping this will be the year I figure it out and can finally get my name on that trophy.

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 @11.25 Ventus TR Red 6X

Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 wood 15 @15.75 Ventus TR Red 8X

Taylormade Stealth 2+ 2 Rescue @18.5* LAGP AXS RED 85HX
Titleist T200 4-6 T150 7-PW Modus 105X 4 iron 120X 5-PW

Taylormade My MG4 50 Modus 120X
Taylormade My MG4 56 TI DG S400

Taylormade My High Toe 3 60 TI DG S400

Taylormade Spider Tour V Stability Tour

Taylormade TP5X 2024

Yes theoretically I should have a good chance at winning it every year. That being said our club championship consists of 18 hole stroke play on Saturday to try and qualify for the championship flight. After that first round the top 8 guys go into match play on Sunday and is continued the following Saturday and Sunday. Golf is as much a mental game as anything and something about match play screws me up every time. I try to go in with the mentality if I beat the course I should be able to beat my competitor unless they beat the course by more than me. Once the round starts it always goes out the window. I've only had the opportunity to play in the Club champ twice and both times I was in good form leading up to it. The first time I shot 75 in qualifying then ended up losing on the 16th hole but played out the last two to finish with an 86 which was the worst score I posted all year. The second time I shot 72 in qualifying then ended up winning the first round on 18 but shot an 85 also the worst score I posted that year and got trounced in the next round losing on 14 and I was already 11 over at that point. I still don't know how to get over the mental block of match play but I'm hoping this will be the year I figure it out and can finally get my name on that trophy.

Next next time in match play just beat your opponent not the course. If you can shoot 78 and win who cares? It's the win not the score.

Next next time in match play just beat your opponent not the course. If you can shoot 78 and win who cares? It's the win not the score.

That's where my problem lies and is probably the answer to my problem. I get in match play you are supposed to play to your opponent but I do it too much. I'm a pretty aggressive player. I hit driver when I probably shouldn't and go flag hunting when I probably shouldn't but it works for me. In a match play situation if I see my playing competitor hit a shot that puts them in trouble I go straight for the lay up safe play club or just try to hit the middle of the green just because that's what you're supposed to do. Because these aren't the shots I would normally hit on that hole it gets me out of my rhythm and I am less comfortable over them and usually end up executing them poorly or giving up a chance for birdie in hopes they wont make par from their bad situation.

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 @11.25 Ventus TR Red 6X

Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 wood 15 @15.75 Ventus TR Red 8X

Taylormade Stealth 2+ 2 Rescue @18.5* LAGP AXS RED 85HX
Titleist T200 4-6 T150 7-PW Modus 105X 4 iron 120X 5-PW

Taylormade My MG4 50 Modus 120X
Taylormade My MG4 56 TI DG S400

Taylormade My High Toe 3 60 TI DG S400

Taylormade Spider Tour V Stability Tour

Taylormade TP5X 2024

That's where my problem lies and is probably the answer to my problem. I get in match play you are supposed to play to your opponent but I do it too much. I'm a pretty aggressive player. I hit driver when I probably shouldn't and go flag hunting when I probably shouldn't but it works for me. In a match play situation if I see my playing competitor hit a shot that puts them in trouble I go straight for the lay up safe play club or just try to hit the middle of the green just because that's what you're supposed to do. Because these aren't the shots I would normally hit on that hole it gets me out of my rhythm and I am less comfortable over them and usually end up executing them poorly or giving up a chance for birdie in hopes they wont make par from their bad situation.

There's a fine line between playing smart and letting your opponent back into a hole. I do think some people try to play their opponent too much, personally I like to attempt to apply pressure at all times, which obviously can get me in trouble sometimes. The worst thing I think that can happen in Match Play is to just say "ok just leave 35 feet get down in two" only to have your opponent get outta trouble and jam in a 25 footer for par while you 3 wiggle your way in for bogey. Just throws off the whole match and rattles you. Now if you get too aggressive the same thing can happen but the minute you let off and assume what your competitor is gonna make you're on the wrong side. Nothing is more demoralizing than knocking it snug while your opponent is in trouble and having them concede before they even make it on the green.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

I can't imagine your alone here, It sounds like we both play with a similar mindset and i too have many times struggled in match play, but am typically always competitive in stroke play because i don't think about what my opponent is doing or let it affect my game but instead just grind to post a quality score.

I've never won the Championship Flight of our Club Championship but have finished 2nd twice in the 1st Flight and won the 2nd Flight Once a few years back. Ironically i placed 3rd last year in the 1st flight and that would have placed 2nd in the Championship Flight had i been in it. Funny game.

nope. I'm anywhere from a 0- +2 and get destroyed each and every year. The winner this year shot 17 under over three rounds and won by 5 over the normal club champ.

Then you throw in a couple of +3.5ish players and you really have no chance. Best I have got is 4th place.

Ping G425 LST 9.5 AD-DI 6S
SIM TI 19* Ventus Blue 8X

Stealth 2 7 wood (more shafts need testing)
Srixon 585 4 Nippon Modus 3 120S
Srixon 745 5,6 Nippon Modus 3 120S

Srixon 785 7-PW Nippon Modus 3 120S
Titleist SM8 50,54,60 S200
TM Spider X Chalk

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I have a very good chance at winning my club championship. In fact I'm the one everyone expects to win. I should have won last year but had a ball move on the green when I addressed it and it cost me a double when I should have made par. I ended up losing by 2 shots and placed 3rd. This year our County AM is at my course so I kind of feel like I have 2 club championships to shoot for and I expect to win both. If I play my best game there's not reason I can't win.

More importantly though is why are you worried about this? If you don't honestly feel in your mind you can win something then you won't. We all know how powerful the mind is in this game, and if you've already convinced yourself that unless everyone of the top players at your club loses their swing that you can't win, then you've already determined your own fate. You have to go into a competition with the mind set of a champion. You can't think about winning a multi day competition before it's even begun. If you play 2 or 3 days and get yourself within 5-6 shots of the lead then you can think about it going into the final round. There can only be one champion everyone else loses. Golf is a tough game in that regard. If you can't handle that don't compete, just play for fun. If you worried less about the outcome and focused more on the process of hitting shots and playing the game that's presented to you that day, you'd probably surprise yourself.

A spin off thread from Larrybud's thread about finally winning his CC.

For those of you who play, are you going in with a realistic shot at winning?

Ours is this weekend. It would take a "perfect storm" of events for me to win. The club's best player left last year, and player 1A only plays every so often. Then there are another five to ten others who would be in the mix, with me maybe being at the very tail end of that grouping. I would have to get pretty hot to pull it off. For reference, I'm a five which is the break point for championship flight.

How about all of you out there, expectations?

Ha, it's ironic because exact same thing happened to me last year's club stroke play(not seniors). 1st day, ball moved when I addressed my bogey tap in after missing a 3-4 footer for par, double bogeyed that hole due to my boneheaded penalty. Played like crap 2nd day, lost by 1 with a bogey on easy par 5 18th hole to a fellow WRX'er.

I played in senior club championship stroke play this summer, won it easily by 7 shots, my 20th club championship in stroke and match play. I probably should've played with younger guys this year, better competition.

My club uses this tournament as qualifier for our annual Ryder Cup style matches with a nearby club. Ladies, seniors and open guys plays in those 2 day matches for a single trophy. Always have fun playing against those guys, drinking some brews and BS'ing with them. There are several players who has no chance winning the club championship but they try to play their way on the team.

I forgot about this post until this topic popped up. I played in my club's championships with kids last summer at my pro's and fellow senior's requests, won it again but it took really good playing on my part, 55 year old now, well over 20 years older than my main competitors. Shot 69-73 to win by 4 on a wet course that played longer than usual for me. It's probably one of my most rewarding club champion win. I doubt if I'll ever pull it off again but my fellow senior buddies loved it that an old fart beat the young pups.

Unfortunately, my club did away from club championship match play due to lack of interest. I love those competitions. Match play are so much fun.

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Stealth 10.5, GD XC-6 stiff

TM Qi10 3HL GD DI-7 stiff

TM SIM2 Rescue 19* & 23*

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

nope. I'm anywhere from a 0- +2 and get destroyed each and every year. The winner this year shot 17 under over three rounds and won by 5 over the normal club champ.

Then you throw in a couple of +3.5ish players and you really have no chance. Best I have got is 4th place.

Dude, that's gross. -17 is no joke on any track at any time.

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
Mizuno Pro 225 2i - C-TaperL
Mizuno Pro 245  5-GW C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

Won mine back in 2008 with a 65/71. Since then, best is 2nd. This is my year though. :)

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][b][i]Ping G400 - 9*[/i]
[i]Ping G30 - 17*[/i][/b]
[b][i]Ping G400 - 19*[/i]
[i]Ping G30 - 22*[/i][/b]
[b][i]Ping G30 - 25*[/i]
[i]TaylorMade P790 Custom Black Finish - 6-GW - Steel Fiber i95 shaft[/i]
[i]Cleveland RTX-4 - 54 and 58 [/i]
[i]Scotty Cameron "Joker" X5 34" with 20g Joker weights[/i][/b][/font]

Have a few times over the years, usually net (always Champion or A flight) but don't bother anymore as I can't take the 6 hour rounds anymore. Used to be able to, it's just not that important, nor does it pay enough, to participate in that type of death march.

Good luck to Everyone in theirs, I hope it's more enjoyable than ours.

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

I do believe that if I stick to my plan this year, I may have a shot of at least winning the handicapped division this year (well maybe as there was a guy last September who was a 20 and shot back to back rounds of 81 and 84 ?).

I may just go into the championship flight if I can get my HC below a 10 this year. Mostly to see how I do against the course at that length and set up tourney style at only 7000 yards (There were only 8 guys in it the last year and the avg score was 76 I think. Some hard work may be able to get me there and I'm going to try like hell to do it.

Forever Changing at this point.......

Yes. I am a 4 time champion at my current club.

So yes I am replying to my own post. Sad, but I did omit a story which folks might find humorous (at the time it wasn't so much, but...). I have actually won 5 club championships. The first club championship I ever won was when I was a member of a club associated with work out in CA. I was the only woman so there was no women's division. I got thrown in with all the guys. However, I had a scratch women's handicap which equates to about a 6 - 7 men's cap. My handicap was kept with the SCGA and I always posted scores based on the women's ratings and slope (very consistent) and trained the local club guys to understand it that way (all the correct compensations when I played in club events from the men's tees). Well one year I actually won the club championship! A couple of the single digit guys got a bit nervous and did not finish well and I finished strong to win.

So now it gets interesting. The SCGA sponsors a Club Champions Championship every year. They play it at different venues for each flight. However, the SCGA folks apparently did not pay attention that my scratch handicap was a women's handicap and flighted me with the scratch and better men! It turned into a bit of a fiasco once they found out since the course (> 6800 at sea level setup for tournament conditions) was pretty tough with a forced carry that was challenging for me (the officials moved the tee up which I did not notice so I tried to kill it, caught it in the neck, and barely cleared enough to find the ball, but had to take a penalty drop anyway). Anyway I did not get last although I played poorly. Work was interfering at that time and I had not gotten any practice. I also got a bit frazzled over the whole thing being a bit out of my depth. I think I would handle it better now.