2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Olympics Golf: The Official Discussion Thread (merged)

GolfGrouch

I'm looking forward to watching, not like watching the Masters, but much more so than a WGC event or something lesser.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the problem here is everyone is looking at this like it's simply another golf event instead of an Olympic event. You can get a friggin check anywhere, but there's only one place to get an Olympic Gold Medal (regardless of the fact that it's mostly silver, but that's another argument).

BTW, anyone who want's to belittle an Olympic event.... try it first. Odds are these people can show you just how much of a hack you really are. They are the best in the world at what they do and many practically dedicate their life to becoming the best. Making fun of the fact that they shoot an air rifle is kinda bush-league.

And finally, it's more about their experience as an Olympic participant than our experience as spectators. That being said, the GC should allow streaming of the Olympic Golf events, even for non-cable subscribers, for the sake of the game.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

I'm looking forward to watching, not like watching the Masters, but much more so than a WGC event or something lesser.

There's the spirit.

I think it will be fun to watch some of it, especially the final round and watching how much they want to win it. I don't think I will be glued to the TV the whole week though. I have been watching a lot of sports this weekend, including stuff you don't normally see like table tennis, womens field hockey, womens rugby, etc. It's fun to do every 4 years, but I see golf every week pretty much year round.

Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

After looking at the pairings, the competition level isn't nearly as bad as I initially thought. I'm not saying it's going to be anywhere near a major, PLAYERS, or WGC, but (and I haven't done the rankings calculations), giving it the eyeball test, it doesn't seem that far off from a Valspar or a Colonial (minus the Spieth, of course). Definitely a few bigger names, several second level players, and lot of journeymen from various golf tours around the world. I know that ozarkshooter was being tongue in cheek, but having more golfers from third world countries with a small but growing middle class (India is what I was thinking of specifically and maybe you can add Thailand to that list) certainly doesn't hurt golf's (admittedly slim) chances of growing in the third world.

Its only 60 players. I can't find a count, but I doubt there's even 20 of the owgr top 50 in the field. And, of course, the top four all gave it a pass.

There are easily 50 tournaments in golf this year that are better than this one.

After looking at the pairings, the competition level isn't nearly as bad as I initially thought. I'm not saying it's going to be anywhere near a major, PLAYERS, or WGC, but (and I haven't done the rankings calculations), giving it the eyeball test, it doesn't seem that far off from a Valspar or a Colonial (minus the Spieth, of course). Definitely a few bigger names, several second level players, and lot of journeymen from various golf tours around the world. I know that ozarkshooter was being tongue in cheek, but having more golfers from third world countries with a small but growing middle class (India is what I was thinking of specifically and maybe you can add Thailand to that list) certainly doesn't hurt golf's (admittedly slim) chances of growing in the third world.

minus the Spieth ...... and the other 90 players! Its only a 60 man field. Not having to beat 70-90 additional "journyman" pros, any of who could have a hot week and win, makes it a much weaker field.

However, the short field does improve the odds of a big name player winning, as well as the odds of a third world country feel-good story player winning - either of which is likely what the organizers and their TV executive masters would probably prefer.

I get it. Because of the less than full field, the most talented players are much more likely to overpower the field, and you're far less likely to have a middle ranked player jump and grab a win or at least push the better players. However, you're still going to have a tournament that includes 2 of the 4 major winners this year plus Fowler, Bubba, Kaymer, Sergio, Patrick Reed, Kuchar, the Beard (DeLaet) and Justin Rose (I counted 13 of the top 50 on the OWGR per the OWGR website today in the tournament but I may have missed one or two). If some of that group are in contention come Sunday and the winner comes from that group, relatively few viewers are going to care that the winner only had to beat 59 other guys to get there. It'll be plenty watchable. I'm not saying that winning gold in this tournament will bathe the winner in glory, fame, and riches, or that it is on par with even a regular Tour event, just that the product beamed to your TV, computer, tablet or mobile device will be decently entertaining.

If Lin Wen-Tang of Taiwan (I mean Chinese Taipei, sorry Chinese Communist Party!) and Seamus Power of Ireland are battling it out on the back 9 on Sunday, yeah, maybe not so compelling, but I'm willing bet the first scenario is more likely than the latter.

Its only 60 players. I can't find a count, but I doubt there's even 20 of the owgr top 50 in the field. And, of course, the top four all gave it a pass.

There are easily 50 tournaments in golf this year that are better than this one.

minus the Spieth ...... and the other 90 players! Its only a 60 man field. Not having to beat 70-90 additional "journyman" pros, any of who could have a hot week and win, makes it a much weaker field.

However, the short field does improve the odds of a big name player winning, as well as the odds of a third world country feel-good story player winning - either of which is likely what the organizers and their TV executive masters would probably prefer.

I get it. Because of the less than full field, the most talented players are much more likely to overpower the field, and you're far less likely to have a middle ranked player jump and grab a win or at least push the better players. However, you're still going to have a tournament that includes 2 of the 4 major winners this year plus Fowler, Bubba, Kaymer, Sergio, Patrick Reed, Kuchar, the Beard (DeLaet) and Justin Rose (I counted 13 of the top 50 on the OWGR per the OWGR website today in the tournament but I may have missed one or two). If some of that group are in contention come Sunday and the winner comes from that group, relatively few viewers are going to care that the winner only had to beat 59 other guys to get there. It'll be plenty watchable. I'm not saying that winning gold in this tournament will bathe the winner in glory, fame, and riches, or that it is on par with even a regular Tour event, just that the product beamed to your TV, computer, tablet or mobile device will be decently entertaining.

If Lin Wen-Tang of Taiwan (I mean Chinese Taipei, sorry Chinese Communist Party!) and Seamus Power of Ireland are battling it out on the back 9 on Sunday, yeah, maybe not so compelling, but I'm willing bet the first scenario is more likely than the latter.

You may need to find a new nickname for Graham DeLaet. This is what he looks like now (on the right)

CnvfURcVMAAiP1D.jpg

TaylorMade QI10 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8TX

TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red 9TX

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4i - Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5 - KBS Tour 130X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 6-PW - DG TI X100

Mizuno T22 Raw 50* S, 55* D | TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback +

Well so far so good with the Olympics. I was waiting to hear of some poor criminal idiots do something stupid to put the games security in jeopardy.

The course actually looks really good, lets just hope it doesnt turn into a pasture within a year. One thing I laughed about was the course construction and the enviromentlal affects for that area. Are you kidding me really? Maybe they should clean up their trash before protesting that the golf course will ruin a "protected environmental area".

I notice how they carefully show the TV viewings so that you can't see their bad water ways and trash on the beaches.

But I'm actually looking forward to watching Olympic golf. Should be entertaining, even watching the different countries see how they play against our strong USA team.

Driver: Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X LZ 5.5
FWY: Callaway BB 3WD / BB H4 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
Wedges: Mizuno T7 52*, 58*
Putter: Odyssey MXM Versa 1

Or maybe the bad water and trash was vastly exaggerated by the media.

Well so far so good with the Olympics. I was waiting to hear of some poor criminal idiots do something stupid to put the games security in jeopardy.

The course actually looks really good, lets just hope it doesnt turn into a pasture within a year. One thing I laughed about was the course construction and the enviromentlal affects for that area. Are you kidding me really? Maybe they should clean up their trash before protesting that the golf course will ruin a "protected environmental area".

I notice how they carefully show the TV viewings so that you can't see their bad water ways and trash on the beaches.

But I'm actually looking forward to watching Olympic golf. Should be entertaining, even watching the different countries see how they play against our strong USA team.

Those media guys are NUTS! I saw an MSNBC reporter go to the really bad poor area at night! Riding with a self admitted criminal in his car into some area they say the police don't even go. I was waiting for the reporter to get shot. Stupid media people are goddamn crazy!

Driver: Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X LZ 5.5
FWY: Callaway BB 3WD / BB H4 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
Wedges: Mizuno T7 52*, 58*
Putter: Odyssey MXM Versa 1

No teams in Olympic golf unfortunately. They are all competing individually, for individual medals.

Scroll up a few posts for a pic of the bad water and trash ... Pretty sure the media has undersold it, not exaggerated it.

There's the spirit.

I think it will be fun to watch some of it, especially the final round and watching how much they want to win it. I don't think I will be glued to the TV the whole week though. I have been watching a lot of sports this weekend, including stuff you don't normally see like table tennis, womens field hockey, womens rugby, etc. It's fun to do every 4 years, but I see golf every week pretty much year round.

ya gotta drop in to the USA woman's soccer . Every time Solo touches the ball the crowd boo's. And when she kicks away they yell ZEKA!. It's contagious. ... booooOOOOO ZEKA.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

I see it as another excuse to watch more golf. Honey its not just another tournament its the Olympics. Oh yeah.

Wk

Titleist TSR3 Diamana White Stiff

TM Stealth2 Plus 3Wood Ventis Black Velicore S

Titleist T200U 3 and 4 iron Mitsubishi Tensei Whte 8S 

Titleist T100 5-PW AMTWhite S

Vokey SM10 50, 54, 58  AMT White

Scotty Tour Rat

PROV1 Left Dash

It certainly helps when you have a bunch of military SF and hired contractors and intelligence agencies working the area for some time now and during the event. This wouldn't be going off without a hitch without the help of other countries assisting.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

Fairly excited about it. Course looks interesting.I was pretty bummed out the PGA has a competing event going against it. Seems like the PGA does not really care about Olympic's and I feel like soon, the Olympics will not care about golf. Maybe they should make this an amateur only event ?

No one who would play the JDC was in the conversation for the Olympics outside of Spieth anyway, which is why the PGA moved the JDC to be the same weekend.

It's a shame the top golfers refused to go to the Olympics. I was watching tennis the other day and I saw Djikovic cry because he'd lost his match and the possibility of an Olympic gold medal, the only missing title in his resume.

Plus the Olympic golfers are having a heck of a time at Rio, contrary to all the stuff written by the media. I'm no big fan of the Olympics, but the spirit of the Games is unrivalled for athlets.

There's the spirit.

ya gotta drop in to the USA woman's soccer . Every time Solo touches the ball the crowd boo's. And when she kicks away they yell ZEKA!. It's contagious. ... booooOOOOO ZEKA.

You'd think the locals would be happy she showed up, and somewhat embarrassed by the state of their country. Not mocking people. What a bunch of idiots.

Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

There's the spirit.

You'd think the locals would be happy she showed up, and somewhat embarrassed by the state of their country. Not mocking people. What a bunch of idiots.

Are you serious? Do you have any idea why they are booing her?

It's well deserved.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

It's a shame the top golfers refused to go to the Olympics. I was watching tennis the other day and I saw Djikovic cry because he'd lost his match and the possibility of an Olympic gold medal, the only missing title in his resume.

Plus the Olympic golfers are having a heck of a time at Rio, contrary to all the stuff written by the media. I'm no big fan of the Olympics, but the spirit of the Games is unrivalled for athlets.

It's probably because Djokovic is an idol in his country and they don't get too many medals so it would have been extra special for Serbia to have a gold medallist.

I see that in a lot of the competing golfers this week who seem genuinely delighted to be playing under their country's banner. Which makes it disappointing about Ireland because it should have one of the best teams out there. It's a small country too and a gold medallist, regardless of the sport, instantly becomes a national hero.

I suppose it could be worse at least we have Harrington to fly the flag. Power, Maguire and Meadows will give it a lash as well.

Are you embarrassed about the state of our country? You know Zika is already here in Florida, right?

There's the spirit.

It looks pretty sweet. Did you read the format? They play a total of 8 rounds of stroke play and top 3 medal. It's a pretty cool idea and different. Should be very interesting. Can you imagine having an Olympic gold medal? I mean that you won? It's pretty cool. Some of these guys that didn't go will most likely regret it imo.

The qualifying is B/S though. The top world rankings get to go. You should have to qualify somehow to get in.

Does anyone know why Camilo Villegas and Vijay Sing didn't go? They were in. Weird. The Wikipedia page is pretty interesting.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golf_at_the_2016_Summer_Olympics

I think a lot of players who dropped out underestimated the olympic experience. Following the media feeds of the guys who have turned up makes it look like a an amazing experience.

Part of being an olympian is the bond with the others competitors from different sports - going to see the others compete is a major part of it.

See how stoked Andy Murry was meeting Kevin Durrant...

Taylor Made SIM max 10.5 - Aldila Rogue 110 60 s

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15 - Even Flow Blue 6.0

Srixon zu85 3i / Titleist TS2 5w

Titleist TMb 4i

Mizuno Mp59 5-pw - KBS C-taper lite S

Vokey SM6 52, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron Newport

I think a lot of players who dropped out underestimated the olympic experience. Following the media feeds of the guys who have turned up makes it look like a an amazing experience.

Part of being an olympian is the bond with the others competitors from different sports - going to see the others compete is a major part of it.

See how stoked Andy Murry was meeting Kevin Durrant...

I'm reminded of Rory McIlroy saying the Ryder Cup was an exhibition match that didn't matter, then actually qualifying for it and completely changing his mind when he was actually there. It's easy to knock something you've never tried. I've a feeling that all the golf Olympians will come back with a positive experience and long-lasting memories.