Golf as "gentleman's game" is most stuck-up, conceited, arrogant, elitist thing ever.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Money doesn't make someone a gentleman. Nor does it give someone class. When I think of a gentleman I think of someone who has honor, integrity and treats people fairly. In terms of golf I think of someone who would call a rules violation on themselves and help their fellow competitors, acknowledge someone with praise when they play better than you is a gentleman.

Getting butthurt because you don't like the rules of a private club or having envy because someone has more money than you or not fitting in to a social situation because you don't like someone's culture seems to be the OP's issue. Maybe the OP needs to quit blaming others for his own levels of insecurity and get a better job. Living life while blaming everyone else for your problems usually leads to attitudes of this nature.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1439637920' post='12141642'][quote name='Medic' timestamp='1439597707' post='12139686']
Perhaps a better topic of discussion might be "How Should A Modern Gentleman Behave?"[list]
[*]Still Ok to open doors for others
[*]Dress comfortable and casual but appropriate given the rules of the course being played
[*]Maintain good pace of play and be aware of others on the course; ahead and behind
[*]Play with quiet distinction; no need to blurt out loud profanities when things don't go your way
[*]Be cordial to your partners; show courtesy and good etiquette
[*]Leave the course in better condition than you found it
[*]Arrive early for a tee time
[*]Share in the duties of flag replacement
[*]Keep a true score with honesty and integrity
[*]Be as happy after a bogey as you are after a bird; at least you are playing
[*]Shake hands with pards/opponents at end of round
[*]Congratulate good shots with sincerity
[*]Tip those on the course providing service appropriately
[*]Keep it fun
[/list]
I don't see my list, although sort of extensive, to be all that difficult.Most people do many of these things without even ever thinking about it. Wouldn't a round be better if this were the norm?
[/quote]

Great Post Medic.

What are you doing Sunday? You seem like you'd be great to play with, want to head to Streamsong?[/quote]

Never played there but have heard it is incredible. Unfortunately I have plans with the wife tomorrow. Can I get a raincheck no pun intended given our weather lately.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

I joined a threesome at a club I played at quite a bit. We were on the tee box of a long par 3 where I hit a nice shot to the green. Then one guy says to his buddies that a poor guy can't make a confident swing like that and proceeded to demonstrate. Made me realize that he really had a huge problem with being there. Struck me as really strange. This guy was carrying a huge debilitating chip on his shoulder.

No amount of dragging others down is going to elevate anyone. Those that think there is any kind of equalization thing happening need some smelling salts. Even if we were put in the ideal egalitarian society we would invent distinctions.

There are more than enough golf options available these days to accommodate most everyone. Find one that suits you or change yourself.

B.B. King once said that if you had to ask what blues music is you would never understand it. I think the importance of the gentleman's game as an ideal is the same thing.

Secondly, all other sports that I know assume you're cheating and have officials to catch you. Golf assumes you're competing honestly and has officials to help you interpret and apply the rules. Big difference

[quote name='Module Mahoney' timestamp='1439646054' post='12142048']In all honesty it has a lot to do with Ben Hogan. One of the most unhappiest men i have ever researched (excluding golf game). He was a grump/a nuisance/ to everyone. This image is classic country club golf and i would say more the older membership. The best thing is most are leaving either via medical issues or they expire[/quote]

Uh what? You're saying old country club types are stuck up because Ben Hogan was a grump?

[quote name='ConcentricDimples' timestamp='1439591796' post='12139230']This notion was conceived in a time where golf as what quail-hunting and 100-foot yachts are today.

It was a game for those in "the league." Calling it a "gentleman's game" was a shot at the lower classes.

I hope that concept changes.

What is a "gentleman" anyway? Is it the billionaire that cheats on his wife with 16 mistresses, and pays cash for overnight stays with Vegas hookers?

Or is the gentleman the guy who snorts coke and wrecks a marriage while his wife is pregnant?

Or maybe it's just middle manager in your local foursome, who lies on his tax return, fires people due no reason, and is a dick to the cart girl.

Our sport is no different from any other. Please pack, cork, and stow-away the nonsense about "keeping your own score," because that's simply not true in spirit or practicality; competitors keep YOUR score, as do television stations and officials for pro events.[/quote]

Let me explain something. First not all "country club" types are rich stuck up snobs. There are stereotypes for a reason and every group has its bad apples. But for some reason today it's very acceptable to attack the "rich white guy". You're basically throwing out random stereotypes about country club golfers. And let me point out that you're clearly not basing this off experience. Unless you recently played golf with a foursome of the duke of buckingam, Donald Trump, and the wolf of Wall Street. How do you think people would react if someone was on here ranting about the stereotypes of inner city basketball players? What you're doing is just as bad as that.

OP, did some guy in a Mercedes S550 cut you off on the way to the course?

Being a "gentleman" on the course has nothing to do with money. A guy who earns $10 an hour can be a "gentleman" while playing his local muni with 30 year old clubs. It's all about being courteous to your fellow players and not acting like an asshat.

[quote name='ghoul31' timestamp='1439602988' post='12140234']My parents belonged to a country club for a while
But they couldn't afford the membership for the real course, just the executive course

So I'm playing the executive course with my dad, and this guy come up in a golf cart
He says I was reported by another member for wearing jeans on the course, and I will have to leave.

So I understand what the OP is saying[/quote]

Some clubs have dress codes. Some are more strict than others. Keep in mind they would say the same thing to any due paying member that came to the course in jeans. I think you're taking it as a personal attack. I've been to restaurants and night clubs that wouldn't let me come in while wearing tennis shoes or sandals too but I'm not upset about it. It's their policy and they have the right to uphold their dress code.

I know quite a few[b] gentlemen[/b] who get out of their work truck every night around 4:30. They change into a golf shirt inside their trucks, and puts their shoes on while sitting on their tailgates. They usually have their bags laid in between various carpentry/masonry/paint tools. Good honest hard people,and gentlemen.

I know some doctors, lawyers, and real estate brokers who go to a country club with a players dressing room. Good honest hard working people, and gentlemen.

[quote name='ghoul31' timestamp='1439653602' post='12142514']
Private country clubs exist for one reason

So people can look down on others who aren't as rich or white as them

We all know its the truth so stop sugar coating it
[/quote]

Are you and the OP neighbors ?

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

[quote name='3sip' timestamp='1439594310' post='12139420']
I'm pretty sure none of your examples could be considered a gentleman. If one does not play by the spirit of the game, based on honesty, integrity and doing the right thing when no one is looking, is what makes this a gentleman's game. Scoundrels, cheaters, D bags, whatever you want to call them play golf but not in the spirit of the game. Being a gentleman has nothing to do with money or power, honesty is free. Stuck up, conceited, arrogant, elitists are not gentlemen. There are gentleman left in this world and I think it would be a better place with more.
My 2 cents.
[/quote]

This is an excellent description of today's meaning of golf as a gentlemen's game. At the turn of the 20th Century golf was a wealthy man's domain and the game has a sorry history of racial and gender discrimination, but the concepts of honesty and self enforcement of rules that have remained with the game make it exceptional.

[quote name='DTXgolfer12' timestamp='1439655867' post='12142682']
[quote name='ghoul31' timestamp='1439602988' post='12140234']My parents belonged to a country club for a while
But they couldn't afford the membership for the real course, just the executive course

So I'm playing the executive course with my dad, and this guy come up in a golf cart
He says I was reported by another member for wearing jeans on the course, and I will have to leave.

Some clubs have dress codes. Some are more strict than others. Keep in mind they would say the same thing to any due paying member that came to the course in jeans. I think you're taking it as a personal attack. I've been to restaurants and night clubs that wouldn't let me come in while wearing tennis shoes or sandals too but I'm not upset about it. It's their policy and they have the right to uphold their dress code.
[/quote]

You are missing the point.It wasn't someone who worked there that noticed, it was was another member.

If you were on a public course that didn't allow jeans for some reason, and you saw a guy in another fairway with jeans on
Would you immediately guilt your round and drive to the clubhouse to report him and get him thrown off the course?
Of course not!, only a complete ahole would do that

But thats what these people did. Why? Because they hate anyone that doesn't wear $200 dress pants when golfing.
They despise people who aren't as rich as them that they will try to get these people removed at all costs.
Thats' how sick these people are.

[quote name='ghoul31' timestamp='1439664137' post='12143212']

[/quote]

You are missing the point.It wasn't someone who worked there that noticed, it was was another member.

If you were on a public course that didn't allow jeans for some reason, and you saw a guy in another fairway with jeans on
Would you immediately guilt your round and drive to the clubhouse to report him and get him thrown off the course?

But thats what these people did. Why? Because they hate anyone that doesn't wear $200 dress pants when golfing.
They despise people who aren't as rich as them that they will try to get these people removed at all costs.
[/quote]
Come to my club with your jeans and your smart a** poor me, entitled attitude and i will personally have your racist a** booted out ....... Any one else who wants to come and play, you are more than welcome as far as i am concerned, jeans, or no jeans.

[quote name='ghoul31' timestamp='1439664137' post='12143212']

[/quote]

[/quote]

No I wouldn't take time from my round to drive and report someone for jeans. And the vast majority of CC members wouldn't either. But for you to write all CC members off as "sick/snobbish/evil white people" is even more ignorant. You sound bitter and hateful over a jeans violation. Get over it.
And for the record. They don't sell jeans at golf stores for a reason.

There are private clubs with a$$es, municipal public courses with same, and privately owned public with same as well. Some days I'm a horses backside . Why did I write this ??? I lost my thoughts watching the PGA...all of you get back to playing or watching right now! Leave the haters alone.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

I have met many jerks on both sides of the fence. Many refuse to even let you join them in a round of golf, or like you just don't exist (even if they have an opening) /. You will see them tell the pro or starter no. That is what I hated and still hate. The best is when they have to play in your group in a tourney or outing. I usually give it right back to them and ignore and never even make eye contact with them . Will talk with other members in the group except them. This drives them bananas.. And i love hearing them afterwards calling you a big a hole

[quote name='Module Mahoney' timestamp='1439679437' post='12144424']
I have met many jerks on both sides of the fence. Many refuse to even let you join them in a round of golf, or like you just don't exist (even if they have an opening) /. You will see them tell the pro or starter no. That is what I hated and still hate. The best is when they have to play in your group in a tourney or outing. I usually give it right back to them and ignore and never even make eye contact with them . Will talk with other members in the group except them. This drives them bananas.. And i love hearing them afterwards calling you a big a hole
[/quote]

Ironic. You judge them for being jerks.....and yet you act like one as well. Very mature way to live sir. Well played.

[quote name='Medic' timestamp='1439597707' post='12139686']
Perhaps a better topic of discussion might be "How Should A Modern Gentleman Behave?"
[list]
[*]Still Ok to open doors for others
[*]Dress comfortable and casual but appropriate given the rules of the course being played
[*]Maintain good pace of play and be aware of others on the course; ahead and behind
[*]Play with quiet distinction; no need to blurt out loud profanities when things don't go your way
[*]Be cordial to your partners; show courtesy and good etiquette
[*]Leave the course in better condition than you found it
[*]Arrive early for a tee time
[*]Share in the duties of flag replacement
[*]Keep a true score with honesty and integrity
[*]Be as happy after a bogey as you are after a bird; at least you are playing
[*]Shake hands with pards/opponents at end of round
[*]Congratulate good shots with sincerity
[*]Tip those on the course providing service appropriately
[*]Keep it fun
[/list]
I don't see my list, although sort of extensive, to be all that difficult.Most people do many of these things without even ever thinking about it. Wouldn't a round be better if this were the norm?
[/quote]

Very well stated my friend!

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Let's take a moment to review the stupidity highlights this thread has given us.....

- Country club members are "sick/evil" people who want to look down at people
- Ben Hogan is to blame for the attitudes of older CC members
- "i broke the dress code rules but it's not my fault it's racism"
- "gentlemen" are only rich white dudes that love hookers and blow

I'm not going to waste any more of my time on this thread but the last thing I'm saying is this. If you really think this is what the majority of the golfing world is like - then why are you a golfer? if that's the case i REALLY hope you quit the game and this forum. The game and the gentlemen who play it will be better off without your bitterness.

[quote name='DTXgolfer12' timestamp='1439682088' post='12144662']
Let's take a moment to review the stupidity highlights this thread has given us.....

- Country club members are "sick/evil" people who want to look down at people
- Ben Hogan is to blame for the attitudes of older CC members
- "i broke the dress code rules but it's not my fault it's racism"
- "gentlemen" are only rich white dudes that love hookers and blow

I'm not going to waste any more of my time on this thread but the last thing I'm saying is this. If you really think this is what the majority of the golfing world is like - then why are you a golfer? if that's the case i REALLY hope you quit the game and this forum. The game and the gentlemen who play it will be better off without your bitterness.
[/quote]
Don't forget Moe Norman he has so many troll like qualities that he presented to the table. And Arnold Palmer, many claim he is part of the New World Order