Ping G, G LS Tec and SF Tec Drivers

zakkozuchowski

I might have missed it earlier in the thread - but speaking of digital lofting, has anyone checked the off the shelf lofts of any of these heads? I find it hard to choose a specific loft to request if you don't know the actual lofts of the heads that were used during a demo or fitting.

Any reputable fitter should have a loft/lie machine and the ability to check the loft on the head you are demo'ing.

Thanks. I appreciate the response but I am aware of that. Good advice for others, just not as helpful for me.

I would have thought the demo heads were digitally lofted-otherwise it would be pointless to hit a demo head and order based on results from that head.

I'd bet less than .1% of sales are digitally lofted, my pro didn't even know that was an option. So that wouldn't help the masses anyways. I'm just happy its an option that isn't offered by any other companies.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might have missed it earlier in the thread - but speaking of digital lofting, has anyone checked the off the shelf lofts of any of these heads? I find it hard to choose a specific loft to request if you don't know the actual lofts of the heads that were used during a demo or fitting.

Any reputable fitter should have a loft/lie machine and the ability to check the loft on the head you are demo'ing.

Thanks. I appreciate the response but I am aware of that. Good advice for others, just not as helpful for me.

I would have thought the demo heads were digitally lofted-otherwise it would be pointless to hit a demo head and order based on results from that head.

I'd bet less than .1% of sales are digitally lofted, my pro didn't even know that was an option. So that wouldn't help the masses anyways. I'm just happy its an option that isn't offered by any other companies.

Agreed, it's nice it's an option. However, I'd bet 99% of the players out there.....including on this site, would not be able to tell the difference, nor would it make a difference in their game. For example, having something digitally lofted at 9* when most of their OTR drivers stamped 9* probably measure between 9.5* and 10* makes more of a difference in the 6" between their ears than it does anywhere else. Just saying......

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

I would like to order my GLS to be the same loft as the demo I tested but I doubt the measuring technique used at the local golf shop is as precise as the digital method used at PING. Given the tolerance of +\- 1* that means if I just order it as the same stated loft it could come back as much as 2* higher or lower. I'm a 3 hdcp and that would make a noticable differance to me.

PING G425 Max 9* @ 7.5* PING Tour 65s
PING G425 Max 3w PING Tour 75s
PING G425 22 PING Tour 85s
PING i210 4-pw DG120 S300
PING Glide 3.0 54s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 58
Taylormade Spider Tour S 35"

For anyone who has ordered and received a digitally lofted head. What was your build tag like?

I just received mine, with other issues, but from what I can see on the build tag, I'm not sure loft was actually checked.

I placed my order to be digitally lofted to 9.5. The build tag shows a 9* head, hosel - "custom +.6", then down in custom options it says "CSTM OPTIONS: <digital loft/lie> -set to 9.5 deg.

The hosel position listed is throwing me because I didn't order the shaft installed at that position and the custom option wording says "set to 9.5". It gives me the feeling this is any old head stamped 9* set to the +.6 hosel setting.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Titleist TSR3 10* - Ventus TR Blue 6TX
  • Taylormade Tour Issue Stealth Plus+ 3 HL - Ventus Black 8TX
  • Titleist T100 4-PW - DG TI X100
  • Taylormade MG4 50SB, 56HB, 60HBW - DG TI S400
  • Artisan Blue Bonnet 0820 - LAGP TPZ One35 USA

I would like to order my GLS to be the same loft as the demo I tested but I doubt the measuring technique used at the local golf shop is as precise as the digital method used at PING. Given the tolerance of +\- 1* that means if I just order it as the same stated loft it could come back as much as 2* higher or lower. I'm a 3 hdcp and that would make a noticable differance to me.

PING's SOP is to produce product that, a majority of the time, has more loft than stated/stamped. You will not find a 9* stamped driver with 8* of actual loft; rather, most of the time, you will see the 9* stamps measuring 9.5* to 10*.

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

For anyone who has ordered and received a digitally lofted head. What was your build tag like?

I just received mine, with other issues, but from what I can see on the build tag, I'm not sure loft was actually checked.

I placed my order to be digitally lofted to 9.5. The build tag shows a 9* head, hosel - "custom +.6", then down in custom options it says "CSTM OPTIONS: <digital loft/lie> -set to 9.5 deg.

The hosel position listed is throwing me because I didn't order the shaft installed at that position and the custom option wording says "set to 9.5". It gives me the feeling this is any old head stamped 9* set to the +.6 hosel setting.

Any help would be appreciated.

Here is the build sheet.

It's the completely wrong shaft as well, so I'm questioning everything at this point.

PING's SOP is to produce product that, a majority of the time, has more loft than stated/stamped. You will not find a 9* stamped driver with 8* of actual loft; rather, most of the time, you will see the 9* stamps measuring 9.5* to 10*.

If the error is on the side of extra loft that's better. I think I would be safe just ordering the OTR 9* but I would rather pay an extra $15 and remove all doubt.

PING G425 Max 9* @ 7.5* PING Tour 65s
PING G425 Max 3w PING Tour 75s
PING G425 22 PING Tour 85s
PING i210 4-pw DG120 S300
PING Glide 3.0 54s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 58
Taylormade Spider Tour S 35"

It looks like to me that the tag states that it is 9.5 at the neutral setting. That's what you wanted right? I may not be reading it right but that is what it looked like to me.

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

It looks like to me that the tag states that it is 9.5 at the neutral setting. That's what you wanted right? I may not be reading it right but that is what it looked like to me.

No, it's in the + setting, which I didn't order. That's why it makes me think it's just a stamped 9* head set in the + to make it "9.5".

For those of you who have cut the driver down to your desired playing length, how are you getting the swing weight back up? Do the same weights fit the G as the G30? I am not afraid of some lead tape, but if I can order a heavier weight to screw in that would be nice...

If you order it from Ping, they'll put in the weight to get to your desired swingweight (if you specify that). Otherwise, you're probably going to have to order an aftermarket weight or throw on some lead tape. Unless something changed since last year, Ping doesn't sell the weights separately.

First of all, everyone should put cotton inside of their PING drivers. Sounds so much better. And, you can trace the weight onto some lead tape and cut it out, and just screw it on under the weight. Works great and dampens sound as well.

The cotton trick isn't technically legal unless you pack the head all the way full to the point where it can't move around. Whether anyone would ever check or be able to verify that if they did check is another thing altogether.

I honestly didn't mind the sound of my G30 LST (and the G LST isn't as loud, and sounds better to me), but when I cut it down and put in an aftermarket weight, the weight didn't have the rubber coating of the OEM weight, which make it sound really harsh. I put a rubber washer around the base of that weight and lined the weight port with lead tape, which further muted the sound. Unfortunately, at one point a piece of the tape came loose, and started rattling around. I thought something had broken loose inside the head, but I finally took the weight out to check and figured out what it was.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

The first folks that reported on these drivers made a big issue about how much quieter they were than G30.....Recently, i hear more people saying that the new ones sound worse which has been my finding..........What say you.

I thought it sounded less loud and metallic than the G30 LST. I hit both in the same session, so it was easy to compare.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

The first folks that reported on these drivers made a big issue about how much quieter they were than G30.....Recently, i hear more people saying that the new ones sound worse which has been my finding..........What say you.

About the same to me, maybe a little louder in the G

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

Hitting my G30 LS side by side with the G LS, the G LS was not as loud and tinny sounding. This was in a launch monitor room and not outside, so I don't know if that would change anything, as I'd guess the G would be less loud outside as well. Now, maybe I wouldn't be able to notice the difference as much outside as I did in the hitting bay.

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

Just got my first round in with the G. I've been hard pressed to find something to permanently beat out my 910D2, but I think this has finally done it. I was averaging 287 off the tee with the D2 last time I was out with it (I lose some distance with spin), and averaged 306 off the tee with the G. It also has a waaay better feel and sound than the G. It actually reminded me somewhat of the 910D2 off the face. Accuracy wasn't awful either...8/14 fairways, but I was never past the first cut, which is phenomenal for me.

PING G430 LST | Ping Tour 2.0 65 
Titleist TSR3 3w  | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8
Titleist TSR3 4h  | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95
PING i210 4-U | TT DG 120 S300
Vokey SM9 54.12D, 60.12D | TT DG S300
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless NP2 350g

Agreed. They still sound horrible. The standard G sounds a little better but the LS Tec is atrocious.

Taylormade M2 9.5* @ 7.5* Rogue 110 Silver 60x
Taylormade M2 15* VTS Red 75x
Ping Rapture DI 18* VTS Silver 85x
Ping S55 3-PW PX Flighted 6.0
Ping Glide 52* SS & Glide 58* SS
Ping Anser Milled #6 35"

Agreed. They still sound horrible. The standard G sounds a little better but the LS Tec is atrocious.

I took mine to the range this morning and was amazed how loud it was. It did not seem that loud indoors! Which brings me to the topic that has been discussed over & over again... What is the best way to mute sound? Yarn? I had a G25 that had hot melt, but I'm interested in the yarn approach.

Taylormade SIM 9*- Accra
Taylormade SIM Max D 16*- Accra
SIM hybrid 19* 
Taylormade P760 4-PW
Vokey SM7: 50, 55, 60*
Spider X Plumbers 33.5"

Sounds pretty much the same as the G30 to me...ear-piercing.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Just got my first round in with the G. I've been hard pressed to find something to permanently beat out my 910D2, but I think this has finally done it. I was averaging 287 off the tee with the D2 last time I was out with it (I lose some distance with spin), and averaged 306 off the tee with the G. It also has a waaay better feel and sound than the G. It actually reminded me somewhat of the 910D2 off the face. Accuracy wasn't awful either...8/14 fairways, but I was never past the first cut, which is phenomenal for me.

I don't understand what you are saying.

Hitting my G30 LS side by side with the G LS, the G LS was not as loud and tinny sounding. This was in a launch monitor room and not outside, so I don't know if that would change anything, as I'd guess the G would be less loud outside as well. Now, maybe I wouldn't be able to notice the difference as much outside as I did in the hitting bay.

You may be surprised when you get it outside.

I can't figure this sound thing out but believe what all are saying about the G LS. The G is very quiet for me...maybe its the B330s balls I'm playing with...anyway it's night and day difference vs the G30LS. Sounds the like the LS series continues to be an issue for ping. Performance continues to be outstanding which usually trumps everything else. Keep it coming. Guess more are going for the LS instead of G.

Yep. Way worse outside.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Hotmelt. Had 5 grams added to me i25 and its night and day. Sound like a shotgun blast on video ha.

I know the i wasn't as loud as the G30 but hotmelt is the way to go.

TM Qi10LS Hulk PVD 70TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

[quote name='Holy Moses' timestamp='1456457028' post='13090572']
[quote name='wobgon' timestamp='1456456483' post='13090512'][quote name='Peanut191' timestamp='1456440818' post='13088912']
[/quote]
You may be surprised when you get it outside.[/quote]

Yep. Way worse outside.
[/quote]Man I wish Ping would have went with a new letter....all this G30 G GLs G30LS....gets a little confusing....

G is quiet
G LS is same as G30LS or G30....I think I've interpreted all this correctly. I'm going to have to hit a G LS after reading all this to confirm....Glad I got the G

Hotmelt. Had 5 grams added to me i25 and its night and day. Sound like a shotgun blast on video ha.

Sounded like a wedge

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Yep. Way worse outside.

Man I wish Ping would have went with a new letter....all this G30 G GLs G30LS....gets a little confusing....

G is quiet

G LS is same as G30LS or G30....I think I've interpreted all this correctly. I'm going to have to hit a G LS after reading all this to confirm....Glad I got the G

G wizz.......

Sounded like a wedge

A wedge??

TM Qi10LS Hulk PVD 70TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

Well, I've been playing a lot less recently and the very slight difference in numbers really didn't give me a reason to want to even try to bring a demo outdoors for a round to try out. On the bright side, the G head did look better shape-wise compared to the G30. Just wish they would have hidden the whole "dragonfly" thing. The new one is a great club, but I just didn't see enough difference to sway me into even trying it out on the course. Could be my loss, but I'll live with it. Like anything else, it can be enough difference for many guys to get one, just not for me.

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5