2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Ping G, G LS Tec and SF Tec Drivers

zakkozuchowski

GLS is definitely more draw biased compared to G30LS even in big minus setting but that suits me just fine. They engineered a club that hits non spinny high draws, pretty impressive really

This is interesting to me. My one complaint about my g30 LST is that I cannot hit a consistent draw with it. Was thinking about an SF TEC, but I don't want any additional spin.

What is different about the G LST vs the G30 LST that gives it more draw bias?

I think it's Bubba Watson's rock hard c0ck. Greg, can you confirm?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GLS is definitely more draw biased compared to G30LS even in big minus setting but that suits me just fine. They engineered a club that hits non spinny high draws, pretty impressive really

This is interesting to me. My one complaint about my g30 LST is that I cannot hit a consistent draw with it. Was thinking about an SF TEC, but I don't want any additional spin.

Classy

Has anyone posted definitive information on whether or not the G LS head is open or neutral? I saw some people saying the face was open at one point but never saw confirmation. Based on people saying it's harder to draw the ball it seems to make sense.

My fitter told me the LS has a open/fade bias. He did not say how much. he said the SF has a Draw Bias and the G has a Slight draw bias again numbers were not provided. My G set at neutral does appear to be very slightly closed.

Really no place here for that kind of talk. Grow up!

Really no place here for that kind of talk. Grow up!

Mods please remove!

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

Hit the g ls tonight inside along with the 3 13 degree 3 wood. Man I am impressed with both. Question. I've read this entire thread and am still not sure if the G is that much different than the G30. I can get the g30 ls at a good deal , but if it isn't as good as what I hit tonight I want the G. Thoughts ?

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I have the G30 Tour 65 X and hit the G Tour 65 X at a demo. The only difference I saw was the G hit it a tad higher and seemed to be a tad straighter. I didn't think it was enough to make me want to order the G.

I kept the G30 and ended up getting the G fairway, Crossover and the G/I irons.

ok...makes sense if you already ave the G30...but say you don't have either..would you pay the extra for the G?

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Hit the g ls tonight inside along with the 3 13 degree 3 wood. Man I am impressed with both. Question. I've read this entire thread and am still not sure if the G is that much different than the G30. I can get the g30 ls at a good deal , but if it isn't as good as what I hit tonight I want the G. Thoughts ?

I had the G30 and I have the G now. Like I said in a earlier post it truly is a coin flip. What finally sold me on the G over the G30 was it has more of a pear shaped head it is totally visual for me nothing to do with performance. I think the difference in performance between the two is marginal at best.

Had g30, g30lst, and recently the G LS. G LS was the best over all for me. G30 was short. Hard to do anything but a baby fade. G30 LST was longer more versatile, but less forgiving and still fade biased for me. G LS was NOT noticeably fade biased but less than g30 LST. was more forgiving than g30 LST. Looks and sounds better, a little smaller head, although still large somehow. G LS was really pretty straight, long, and forgiving. MY only complaint and reason for not keeping it was I would get the huge push fade that would come out of nowhere, that I don't get with my other driver. Very impressive though, great job ping on the new G LS!

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

I have the G30 Tour 65 X and hit the G Tour 65 X at a demo. The only difference I saw was the G hit it a tad higher and seemed to be a tad straighter. I didn't think it was enough to make me want to order the G.

I kept the G30 and ended up getting the G fairway, Crossover and the G/I irons.

ok...makes sense if you already ave the G30...but say you don't have either..would you pay the extra for the G?

Basically same driver with some cosmetic changes to the G.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Had g30, g30lst, and recently the G LS. G LS was the best over all for me. G30 was short. Hard to do anything but a baby fade. G30 LST was longer more versatile, but less forgiving and still fade biased for me. G LS was NOT noticeably fade biased but less than g30 LST. was more forgiving than g30 LST. Looks and sounds better, a little smaller head, although still large somehow. G LS was really pretty straight, long, and forgiving. MY only complaint and reason for not keeping it was I would get the huge push fade that would come out of nowhere, that I don't get with my other driver. Very impressive though, great job ping on the new G LS!

This has been my issue with the G30 LS. I notice that ball flight is dictated by where I make contact on the face.

Toe=Draw

Center=Straight

Heel=Fade

The further away from center, the more pronounced the draw & fade become. I believe it's due to the bulge & roll of the face.

Have you guys experienced the same?

This has been my issue with the G30 LS. I notice that ball flight is dictated by where I make contact on the face.

Toe=Draw

Center=Straight

Heel=Fade

The further away from center, the more pronounced the draw & fade become. I believe it's due to the bulge & roll of the face.

It's because of gear effect (and how much is related to the MOI of the head). The bulge & roll actually reduce how much it happens.

well guys ... spent an hour hitting both the G30 ls 9 and the G ls 9 both with ping tour shaft and the G was much better.... the G30 seemed harder to square up and turn over, and also just did not produce same results as G on toe hits ( my miss) .... The G head won...then we went shaft looking and I got lucky...someone had swapped in a G ls 9 that has a matrix white tie added ... hit it on the outdoor monitor and man... I wont say how far I carried it ... but im wowed! but its so dead straight..just for kicks threw the white tie into the G30 ls head and after 3 balls I stopped.. not,the same... Im sure ill catch heat for it ..but to me not the same.. with the G ls I can draw it if I try..but if I don't it just doesn't stray off the target at all..with the G30 if I missed a draw on the toe it hooked, and if I missed it heel it pushed 20 yards.. which I know is me..but the idea of playing a brick on a stick is that it doesn't punish you, right ?

sooo.. My new par 5 weapon is awesome! I guess from a guy whos played small driver heads forever, thinking being able to "work" it was a plus, this is a big departure... but it fits my new mantra " if it needs to be moved more than 10 yards right or left ill hit 3 wood or 2 iron" I want my driver to be dead straight for par 5s and long open par 4s.... So I guess if you cant beat them ....join them!

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

well guys ... spent an hour hitting both the G30 ls 9 and the G ls 9 both with ping tour shaft and the G was much better.... the G30 seemed harder to square up and turn over, and also just did not produce same results as G on toe hits ( my miss) .... The G head won...then we went shaft looking and I got lucky...someone had swapped in a G ls 9 that has a matrix white tie added ... hit it on the outdoor monitor and man... I wont say how far I carried it ... but im wowed! but its so dead straight..just for kicks threw the white tie into the G30 ls head and after 3 balls I stopped.. not,the same... Im sure ill catch heat for it ..but to me not the same.. with the G ls I can draw it if I try..but if I don't it just doesn't stray off the target at all..with the G30 if I missed a draw on the toe it hooked, and if I missed it heel it pushed 20 yards.. which I know is me..but the idea of playing a brick on a stick is that it doesn't punish you, right ?

sooo.. My new par 5 weapon is awesome! I guess from a guy whos played small driver heads forever, thinking being able to "work" it was a plus, this is a big departure... but it fits my new mantra " if it needs to be moved more than 10 yards right or left ill hit 3 wood or 2 iron" I want my driver to be dead straight for par 5s and long open par 4s.... So I guess if you cant beat them ....join them!

Its a solid driver. I used to hate Ping and I also used to be a terrible driver of the ball, wish I'd converted over sooner. All in a head thats as low spin as almost anything else out there. I've been really happy with my G.

Toe=Draw

Center=Straight

Heel=Fade

It's because of gear effect (and how much is related to the MOI of the head). The bulge & roll actually reduce how much it happens.

Thanks for the info Stuart.

So, does a higher MOI club have more gear effect than a lower one?

I'm a little confused since I've never noticed this much variation in shot shape from what seems like the same swing with my other drivers.

Specifically, the last two drivers I played really gave me only two shot shapes:

-G25 was always straight or slight fade. I had to make an extreme move to get a draw.

-SLDR was draw biased. Typical shot was a draw or straight. A heel miss would result in a smothered hook.

With either driver, I could aim down one side of the fairway and not worry about being double crossed.

I got rid of the G25 because it was short and I stopped using the SLDR due to the distance variance on mishits/good hits.

Sorry to everyone else for going off topic, but I have been looking for the following traits in a driver for years:

1) Draw biased

2) Forgiving

3) Low launch & spin

Most drivers can give me two out of the three. The G30 LS gives me all three, except on a heel side strike

The higher the MOI of the head (not the club) for the applicable horizontal or vertical axis, the less the gear effect for that axis. It's not an exact relationship but many of the low spin heads (low forward c.g.) also have low MOI and more gear effect for off center hits. That's where the rep for 'unforgiving' generally comes from (and not necessarily from a reduction in ball speed for off center hits).

Gear effect adds/subtracts from the side spin caused by the face to path relationship. Hard to say for sure but could simply because you are getting a face orientation much more square to path than you were with the other heads. e.g. a smothered hook off the heel means the face was very closed to the path and the face to path way outweighed the amount of gear effect so whatever was causing the heel miss was also causing a more closed face.

Could also mean the feel of a toe heel hit is less pronounced so what feels like a similar amount on the toe/heel is actually further from face center. Would need to compare actual impact positions (impact tape, foot powder spray) before you can really come to any conclusions. Lots of aspects about a club can change the level of dispersion of contact on the face. Playing length, shaft weight, swing weight, flex of the shaft so not just a characteristic of the head.

Funny you say that. I went for a fitting last year to look at the G30 and had the exact same experience. I couldn't get the G30 head to turn over either.

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

Are Ping I series drivers gone for good? Not really on topic, but I had an I15 driver (loved it), an I25 driver (currently love it), and not sure what my next Ping driver will be.

Would love a successor to the i25 as it's my current favorite, but if not I will enjoy getting some more backup heads for cheap.

My spec'd out G LS head was a bust today so back to Golfsmith to try to get it corrected. Still want to give it a chance based on the feedback here especially versus the G30 LS - my experience with it echoes many of the others here.

FYI - To follow up on my own question about the different G series drivers being fade or draw biased, I went ahead and emailed Ping customer service and this was their response. So, according to them, the G, LS and SF are neutral.

"All the faces on the G drivers are neutral. The weighting is different for each driver. The G is neutral, the SFT has more weight towards the heal to help square the face easier at impact and the LS has the weight more forward to promote a slightly lower launch and spin."

My angle of attack is somewhat steep so I launch the ball low, but my club head speed is 105-110. For the past year and a half I was playing a g30 with your 65 S and out driving most if not all my playing partners. But I noticed it was all carry and no roll. Not a big problem but made me curious.

Two weeks ago we had a demo day and ping and Titleist where there. Tried the 915's and liked them. Good driver for sure. Finally got to the ping tent and told him what I had and what I wanted to try. Put my same shaft in a G LS Tec and gained some club head speed and about 10-15 yards of carry alone. Went from 265 carry to a few at 280+. Also gained 10+ yards on roll also. Spin came down from 2700 to 2200.

I literally gained nearly 25 total yards on distance, tighter dispersion, and a heck of a lot of confidence. Needless to say I went straight to the shop and traded. Got a sweet deal also. I already was in good shape off the tee, now I'm ripping them!

Are Ping I series drivers gone for good? Not really on topic, but I had an I15 driver (loved it), an I25 driver (currently love it), and not sure what my next Ping driver will be.

Would love a successor to the i25 as it's my current favorite, but if not I will enjoy getting some more backup heads for cheap.

My spec'd out G LS head was a bust today so back to Golfsmith to try to get it corrected. Still want to give it a chance based on the feedback here especially versus the G30 LS - my experience with it echoes many of the others here.

Sorry, what do you mean "a bust"? It did not play well, or something broke down mechanically? I'm specifically curious about the I25 compared to the G30 LS Tec, so your thoughts are appreciated, as an I25 lover.

Hit a few more balls with mine last night and I've had to go for the time being to the + setting. In neutral I was getting a consistent fade. But my eyes want to see a draw. These heads are definitely fade bias. Also I may rethink the white tie. As it is possibly the highest launching driver I've ever hit. I'm getting distance but it's all carry. I personally wouldn't refer a mid flight for some rollout and playability into the wind. Anyone else think these launch high ? I'm now wondering if it's just the shaft'?

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

No. This thing hits it high. The higher my ball flight, the better it seems to fly. If I could find a 5 inch tee I think I would go 400 yards, lol.

I also have found that if I tee it really low and hit a "punch" that it flys pretty true. In between, not so much.

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

Hit a few more balls with mine last night and I've had to go for the time being to the + setting. In neutral I was getting a consistent fade. But my eyes want to see a draw. These heads are definitely fade bias. Also I may rethink the white tie. As it is possibly the highest launching driver I've ever hit. I'm getting distance but it's all carry. I personally wouldn't refer a mid flight for some rollout and playability into the wind. Anyone else think these launch high ? I'm now wondering if it's just the shaft'?

I think a lot of it is the shaft(well, that or something else happening in your swing). I believe that the white tie is Matrix's highest launching shaft. When I tested the G LS vs my G30 LS, they launched almost identical. The G LS might have launched a little higher, but it was less than a degree on average.

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

Sorry, what do you mean "a bust"? It did not play well, or something broke down mechanically? I'm specifically curious about the I25 compared to the G30 LS Tec, so your thoughts are appreciated, as an I25 lover.

I mean the club was built incorrectly according to what I ordered (due to a couple different reasons not entirely on ping) so I need to reorder.

The G30 LS is no comparison to the i25 in my opinion. Not trying to ruffle any feathers as this is solely my experience and my opinion.

Might be the shaft, I'd say average launch. I'm playin an 11* set to the + setting, launch it high, Apex >100 ft, but so low spin I'm seeing some solid roll out.