2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Ping G, G LS Tec and SF Tec Drivers

zakkozuchowski

my 915 wasn't behaving very well the last couple of rounds (yeah i know. indian not arrow) so i borrowed a G SFtec from my shop.

well... i didn't hit it as far as my 915d2, but i almost hit every fairway with it. and with my ss that is around 95-99, the light stock alta shaft felt really nice.

was the G driver released in fall 15? so the new G driver, and yes this is a little early, should be out spring 17?

G30 was released July/Aug 2015. G released Jan/Feb of 2016. 18 month cycle which is Ping protocol these days

Looks more like 6 months.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6X

PXG Black Ops 15* - Ventus Velocore Red 7X

PXG  Gen3 3 Iron - Aldila RIP Phenom HYB 100 

PXG Gen5 0311T 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my 915 wasn't behaving very well the last couple of rounds (yeah i know. indian not arrow) so i borrowed a G SFtec from my shop.

well... i didn't hit it as far as my 915d2, but i almost hit every fairway with it. and with my ss that is around 95-99, the light stock alta shaft felt really nice.

was the G driver released in fall 15? so the new G driver, and yes this is a little early, should be out spring 17?

G30 was released July/Aug 2015. G released Jan/Feb of 2016. 18 month cycle which is Ping protocol these days

G30 was released July 2014.

• Taylormade Qi10 core 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6TX
  • Taylormade Tour Issue Stealth Plus+ 3 HL - Ventus Black 8TX
  • Titleist T100 4-PW - DG TI X100
  • Taylormade MG4 50SB, 56HB, 60HBW - DG TI S400
  • Artisan Blue Bonnet 0820 - LAGP TPZ One35 USA

My bad. Typo

_________________________________________________________________________________________

:taylormade: Qi10 Max 12* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5R

PING G430 SFT 5w 19* | 7w 22* Alta CB Black (set to +/Flat)

Exotics Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design Tour G

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke HL 6-AW True Temper Elevate 85R

PING Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* | Smart Sole C 4.0

PING 2023 Anser 2D

My bad. Typo

I knew what you meant, just busting your balls a little. :derisive:

PXG Bat Attack H

In regards to Ping shafts, just throwing this out there.

The Tfc419 looked a lot like the Tour Blue from Aldila (I believe most tfc419's had Aldila labels)

The Tour 65/80 looks eerily similar to the UST elements Chrome (I spoke with UST and they definitely confirmed they make the tour 65/80

For Ping and it's based on the Elements Chrome just a little lighter and softer.)

The Alta to me looks very similar to a Fuji Pro. Especially the blue paint color and the wide lettering down the shaft. Maybe this one is a Fuji made for ???

thanks for sharing this. I have been on a shaft merry go round with my ls tec. I keep hearing the chrome is a good match for this head.

Two rounds in with my 10 degree SF Tec with Tour 65x playing at 44.5" and am overall impressed. Never been one to use silly terms like "stupid easy" and the like, but I've spent more time in the left center of the fairway than I can remember. The only problem is the distance- or lack thereof. Part of it is the shaft length I'm sure, but it might be a bit spinny.

Those of you with the hot melt, can you send a driver in to ping to have this done, or does it need to happen at time of purchase?

Might consider swapping for a regular or ls tec if I can't get it sorted out.

Two rounds in with my 10 degree SF Tec with Tour 65x playing at 44.5" and am overall impressed. Never been one to use silly terms like "stupid easy" and the like, but I've spent more time in the left center of the fairway than I can remember. The only problem is the distance- or lack thereof. Part of it is the shaft length I'm sure, but it might be a bit spinny.

Those of you with the hot melt, can you send a driver in to ping to have this done, or does it need to happen at time of purchase?

from what did you change to the SF tec? and what was your mishit before?

i might change to the sf, but i'm afraid if my swing gets better, i overdraw the ball.

I swapped the Tour 65 for a Fujikura Six at 45 inches that I was previously fitted into, distance increased and the ball still ends up left middle of the fairway. Compared to my M1 my average distance is up, total distance ( a couple of perfect strikes) is down compared to the M1 but I'm more than happy with my average and hitting more fairways with the SF Tec at 10*. The SF definitely spins more than the M1 around 500rpm more on average but at my low 90's swing speed that more is better than less.

Callaway Mavrik 9*, Kuro Kage Black 60gr Stiff..
Callaway Rogue 3 wood.
Titleist U510 3 iron.
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 5 - PW.
Vokey SM7, 50F, 54S, 58D.
Scotty Cameron Futura X5.

Shorter driver length doesn't generally cost a player yardage, but gains him yardage and consistency because he is hitting the middle of the face more often.

The Tour 65X is a stout shaft. I would say if you are not over 110mph with the driver, you may want to drop down to the 65S. I've hit the G-LS 9* with the Tour 65S and it was more than enough for me at 105-108mph with a hard transition.

PXG Bat Attack H

I swapped the Tour 65 for a Fujikura Six at 45 inches that I was previously fitted into, distance increased and the ball still ends up left middle of the fairway. Compared to my M1 my average distance is up, total distance ( a couple of perfect strikes) is down compared to the M1 but I'm more than happy with my average and hitting more fairways with the SF Tec at 10*. The SF definitely spins more than the M1 around 500rpm more on average but at my low 90's swing speed that more is better than less.

Are you playing the Fuji Six in R or S flex ?

_________________________________________________________________________________________

:taylormade: Qi10 Max 12* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5R

PING G430 SFT 5w 19* | 7w 22* Alta CB Black (set to +/Flat)

Exotics Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design Tour G

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke HL 6-AW True Temper Elevate 85R

PING Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* | Smart Sole C 4.0

PING 2023 Anser 2D

This is just me, so for what it's worth.. I have the G SF tec 10 degree, and the Tour 65 Stiff... so there was a demo day at my local driving range. I thought what the heck, so I went. The Ping rep let me try out some stuff, and I said I would like to get more distance, and he had me try the Alta Blue stiff, which is longer. It really made a difference for me. I was so stuck on my "Tour" shaft I wasn't willing to change, but I did. It has made a huge difference for me. The torque is different too, but all the info showed this one worked better for me, and it was right.

Just to add to the tour vs alta shaft convo, we are lucky enough to have a few different quality fitting options around my area that guys at my club take advantage of. I think the breakdown in g30 and G is something like 6 Alta, 2 tour 65, guys are in the 4-10 handicap range. Being on Wrx I've barely hit either, straight to the $300 shafts. :russian_roulette:

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Just to add to the tour vs alta shaft convo, we are lucky enough to have a few different quality fitting options around my area that guys at my club take advantage of. I think the breakdown in g30 and G is something like 6 Alta, 2 tour 65, guys are in the 4-10 handicap range. Being on Wrx I've barely hit either, straight to the $300 shafts. :russian_roulette:

LOL, same here -- I just bought a head, so I didn't even try the stock shafts (I did hit the Tour 80 last year, but moved to Graphite Design long-term. I couldn't leave well enough alone with the 110 MSI Rogue (which I'm hitting very well since I got the replacement after my first one broke), and just got a used 125 MSI 70 Tour X to try in it. Waiting on another adapter to put on that, and hopefully I'll be able to have a shootout next week.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Shorter driver length doesn't generally cost a player yardage, but gains him yardage and consistency because he is hitting the middle of the face more often.

The Tour 65X is a stout shaft. I would say if you are not over 110mph with the driver, you may want to drop down to the 65S. I've hit the G-LS 9* with the Tour 65S and it was more than enough for me at 105-108mph with a hard transition.

I think the contact is what has impressed me the most with this equipment change. The dark face is like free impact tape and I see a marked improvement with this setup.

Swing speed is 105-108 with a quick tempo fwiw. Shaft feels good, but so did the 65s when I had a G30 awhile back.

Are you playing the Fuji Six in R or S flex ?

When I was fitted into it, the fitter tipped it to play firm between regular and stiff.

Callaway Mavrik 9*, Kuro Kage Black 60gr Stiff..
Callaway Rogue 3 wood.
Titleist U510 3 iron.
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 5 - PW.
Vokey SM7, 50F, 54S, 58D.
Scotty Cameron Futura X5.

Finding a Ping G with a stiff Alta shaft in 10.5 loft has been impossible for me. No store around me has it (all I really have is Dicks) and I dont really have an interest in ordering one at full retail price! Cant wait to hit one though, if anyone wants to sell me one in a similar set up PM me

Ugh, just sold one on ebay 2 weeks ago as I got a great deal on the ebay fees at the time. Keep an eye out for them, I think they are going for around $329 on the bay nowadays.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

I think the contact is what has impressed me the most with this equipment change. The dark face is like free impact tape and I see a marked improvement with this setup.

Swing speed is 105-108 with a quick tempo fwiw. Shaft feels good, but so did the 65s when I had a G30 awhile back.

The face is rougher on the LS line as its suppose to help reduce the spin (Ping). For older range balls, its awesome but it can be a pain to clean after the range.

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft

Finding a Ping G with a stiff Alta shaft in 10.5 loft has been impossible for me. No store around me has it (all I really have is Dicks) and I dont really have an interest in ordering one at full retail price! Cant wait to hit one though, if anyone wants to sell me one in a similar set up PM me

Ugh, just sold one on ebay 2 weeks ago as I got a great deal on the ebay fees at the time. Keep an eye out for them, I think they are going for around $329 on the bay nowadays.

I have an offer in on one right now. There is literally 1 in this set up on ebay. I thought I had one bought for 275 but guy never shipped it (see Deal or no Deal forum) so back to the hunt

Well, I must just not be able to get along with Ping's new drivers. I've been playing the G20 (with the tour stiff shaft) since it came out years ago and have tried a few others over that time including the G30 last year. I convinced myself over the winter that I needed to try the new G driver and finally retire my beloved G20. Well, after several rounds this spring, I think it's time for me to give up on the G LS Tec and go back to the G20. I'm not sure why I've had such a hard time getting the desired results with the G and the G30 before it. I hit the G and G LS Tec and was getting better numbers with the LS Tec so I went with it and the Tour 65S shaft. Real world on course results haven't been great. My misses are really bad with it and it seems less forgiving than my G20 and it is only slightly longer on the most well struck shots. Maybe I should just quit trying to replace a driver I get along with but the desire to chase some distance (and hopefully keep forgiveness) keeps me trying out new sticks. Oh well.....

Ping G400 LST 8.5*
Ping G400 3W
Srixon Z U85 3 & 4 
Srixon Z585 5-AW
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* & 58*
Odyssey Black Series TD #1W

I absolutely love my G LS 10.5. I have a steep attack angle (I know I know learn to hit up on it). I need the loft, but don't want the spin. I have the tour 65 S in it right now. Wondering if the X would be a better fit. I already hit it good, but my miss is a fade or total snap hook. Snap hook is explainable by my swing and I'm wondering if the fade is coming from getting ahead of the shaft. Anyway, is there a huge difference in the S and X or minimal?

Thanks

2 weeks into a G LS Tec 9.0 set at 8.0. Rogue I/O 60 S. Great club but certainly not as easy to hit as its predecessor. Replaced a G25 w/Red Blur shaft.

I'll post launch monitor results for those that are curious comparing the I/O, silver and black once I figure out how.

Southern transplant<br /><br />Ping G LS Tec 9.0<br /><br />Aldila Rogue I/O 60 S<br /><br />RBZ stage 2 tour 3 wood stock shaft-S<br /><br />Ping G25 20* hybrid, stock shaft-S<br /><br />Srixon Z945 4-PW KBS tour Stiff<br />Titleist SM7 50 (8), SM7 54 (10) & SM6 58 (8) stock shaft<br /><br />Odyssey #9 white hot pro

It's not apples to apples, since I have a different shaft in my G LS versus what I played in the G30 LS, but the G LS definitely maxes out longer than any combo that I played in the G30 LS last year. There's a 463 yard par 4 that plays slighly uphill (not real steep, but it makes it so the ball doesn't roll out much when it lands) on the course I play a lot in the mornings before work, and the only time I ever reached the 150 marker with the G30 LS was with a pretty stiff tailwind. Today, in very calm conditions and about 60-65 degrees, I hit one 5 yards past the marker. It was an absolutely pure strike and it was all I have, but I've hit it on the screws with the G30 before and never gotten close to that. I shouldn't even mess with the 125 MSI shaft (but I'm totally going to :) )

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

2 weeks into a G LS Tec 9.0 set at 8.0. Rogue I/O 60 S. Great club but certainly not as easy to hit as its predecessor. Replaced a G25 w/Red Blur shaft.

I'll post launch monitor results for those that are curious comparing the I/O, silver and black once I figure out how.

Attaching the launch monitor results from Golfsmith in Chicago on Clybourn Avenue, same monitor. The simulators do not have the separate camera attachment so the club head speed/smash factor is machine calculated based on their internal settings, I think as I'm a novice on this technology. The carry distances are unrealistic based on personal knowledge but I am more focused on ball speed and backspin when comparing performance.

FYI, this is the only place I've found that has multiple upgrade shafts built for Ping clubs to demo.

There are 4 clubs (Ping G LST 9.0-I/O, Ping G LST 9.0 Rogue Silver, M1 9.0 Rogue Silver and gamer RBZ Stage 2 Tour) listed in the comparison and the stats were taken over multiple visits. Extreme outliers have been removed. I did not test my G25/Red Blur combo as I know the spin rates and ball height are well above the RBZ from a previous Trackman outdoor session at Cog Hill.

Southern transplant<br /><br />Ping G LS Tec 9.0<br /><br />Aldila Rogue I/O 60 S<br /><br />RBZ stage 2 tour 3 wood stock shaft-S<br /><br />Ping G25 20* hybrid, stock shaft-S<br /><br />Srixon Z945 4-PW KBS tour Stiff<br />Titleist SM7 50 (8), SM7 54 (10) & SM6 58 (8) stock shaft<br /><br />Odyssey #9 white hot pro

So what the feel and kick like with the 3 shafts, especially the I/O Rogue. I played the Silver Rogue, hated the Black so curious as to your thoughts on these shafts in the G head?

I may have found my shaft. For me the Kuro Kage black seems to be the winner. Best feel and flight set at 9.5. I think it works with this head because it is not a low spin shaft. What I have tried :

Attas 3 6s

Veylix Rome 688 stiff (too low spin on mishits)

Ping Tour 65 Stiff - 2nd place thus far

Veylix Arcane Stiff - too unpredictable for me

I have a bid on a Kiyoshi purple. If I win I will give it a go but the KK black will be tough to beat.