2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Ping G, G LS Tec and SF Tec Drivers

zakkozuchowski

Soooooo hit the new shaft very well on the range. Hit it off the first and stripped it, get to the second and while addressing the ball I look down and the grip had shifted, so I thought. Checked the grip and it was firmly in place so I grabbed the head and twisted from the gripped and the shaft turned in the adapter.... I feel I have read before where people are having trouble with the G adapter. Anyone seen this issue??

Callaway Paradym TD 8*/HZRDUS GEN4 Black Limited Edition 60TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soooooo hit the new shaft very well on the range. Hit it off the first and stripped it, get to the second and while addressing the ball I look down and the grip had shifted, so I thought. Checked the grip and it was firmly in place so I grabbed the head and twisted from the gripped and the shaft turned in the adapter.... I feel I have read before where people are having trouble with the G adapter. Anyone seen this issue??

If you use the quick dry epoxy, I've had 2 come loose. Will now use the 24 hour from here on in....

I had to get rid of the G... Aluminum bat sound was just too much. I think I've started to close my eyes at impact. If ping could make this driver with the vapor fly sound & feel, wow!

I had my hotmelted from factory and its whisper quiet.

I get the argument with the sound as my playing partner has a 'non hot-melted' LS tec which is way, way louder.

I don't think I'd ever go with a driver that doesnt have 5 or 10 grams of hotmelt in the head from here on out.

OEM adapter or aftermarket? I had the same thing happen after a couple of range sessions and 12 holes on the course with an aftermarket G adapter with the collared ferrule. Since installed 2 of the older style G30 adapters, and no issuesz

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

I hit the G LS again yesterday. I put the tour shaft adapter on the big - .

It actually sounded a little quieter. Not sure if the loft adjustment had anything to do with it, or maybe I just wasn't overly attentive to the sound, but It did sound better.

I played my 915 D3 for 18 holes and then took the G out for a few more. This time is was at least 5 yards past the 915 and a few were as much as 15 yards past it. I can only guess dropping from 10.5 to 9.5 made the difference.

I set up a Rogue Silver this morning to try in it today. Stiff flex tipped 1". I also added 2-3 grams more Hotmelt to the sole (put 2-3 in the crown the first time). I'm not sure it will beat the performance of the Tour shaft, but the ho in me wants to see.

I will report back later on its performance.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

OEM

OEM

did you clean the inside of the adapter with some dawn? quite often there is oil and junk from the machining that should be cleaned out. there should not be a ton of difference between long and short cure except, from what i heard, may be long term durability. I use both and neither of them have broken or loosen in my work.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

So can someone tell me whats going on here? The adapter is still screwed in to the head but the shaft and part of the adapter separated. This isn't supposed to screw out correct? Are the adapters two pieces??

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

That is just the top ferrule, and what looks to be dried epoxy on the shaft. With how shinny the inside of your adapter looks, it doesn't look like the glue set up at all.......or not much hardener was in there when it was mixed.

PXG Black Ops Swing Balance Yellow
Ping G430 LST 3w Ventus Red 8X

Ping G430 Max 7w Ventus Red 8X

PXG 0317T 4-P, SteelFiber PR

Ping i159 50*, 54*, 58*

L.A.B. DF2.1 Stability Tour

That is just the top ferrule, and what looks to be dried epoxy on the shaft. With how shinny the inside of your adapter looks, it doesn't look like the glue set up at all.......or not much hardener was in there when it was mixed.

Ahhhh ok, for some reason it looked like there was still a sleeve of some sort attached to the shaft. Isn't the ferrule part of the adapter though or are they separate pieces?

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

Looks more like a plastic shim to me to possibly fit a 335 shaft into a 350 adapter. Hard to tell anything just from a picture.

G tips are .335. Also, the more I look at it and read your previous post about it coming from Ping, I don't recall Ping using black epoxy, I thought most of there stuff was an off white?

Ping i159 50*, 54*, 58*

They are separate on the G series. The G30 didn't have one.

Cool. So I should just be able to re-prep and epoxy again?

Yes for sure. Get whatever is on the shaft off, then clean the adapter inside and re-glue together, should be easy peasy. :)

Ping i159 50*, 54*, 58*

I've not seen that black "sleeve" under the ferrule on that shaft like the photo shown.

The G adapter that I saw had the top ferrule and then the silver internal inside the adapter with the "spiral" marking, there was no black "sleeve" and that was a .335 adapter too. I wonder if this adapter is a .350, they do exist...

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft

I've not seen that black "sleeve" under the ferrule on that shaft like the photo shown.

The G adapter that I saw had the top ferrule and then the silver internal inside the adapter with the "spiral" marking, there was no black "sleeve" and that was a .335 adapter too. I wonder if this adapter is a .350, they do exist...

Pretty sure that's the standard adapter. The collared ferrule is still on the shaft, and the main part of the adapter is still in the club head in the picture. This is how the one that I've seen was constructed. It just looks like a bad epoxy job caused it to come loose.

Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

drvrwdge - on the shaft - is that black part under the collar to the tip, is it actual shaft tip or is that a sleeve of some sort? it looks like a sleeve from the picture...

3 jack par - its looks like there was hardly any epoxy if thats the case.

The inside of those adapters are ribbed, which you can see evidence of in the epoxy left on the tip.

I would guess the epoxy didn't set correctly. It looks like the black stuff from Golf Works, which I've had issues with - specifically the Tour Set Plus.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

drvrwdge - on the shaft - is that black part under the collar to the tip, is it actual shaft tip or is that a sleeve of some sort? it looks like a sleeve from the picture...

3 jack par - its looks like there was hardly any epoxy if thats the case.

Like HR71 said, it's the actual shaft tip. If you look at the head in the background, the actual adapter is still in the club. The inside of the G adapters is silver metal, and they have grooves in them, which cause the spiral pattern you see. Having dealt with a broken Rogue recently, I had the unfortunate opportunity to inspect the adapter pretty closely.

Yep, that concurs with my experience with the .335 g adapter, just thought we had a .350 with a sleeve or something here. No worries...

There was dried epoxy on the tip but the "black" area at the tip was the shaft itself just the prepped area of the shaft. I couldn't get it in the adapter at first but that's because there was dried epoxy in the tip of the shaft so I had to drill that out very carefully first. Went right and been sitting all night. I went with the 24hr stuff so hopefully that works.

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

There was dried epoxy on the tip but the "black" area at the tip was the shaft itself just the prepped area of the shaft. I couldn't get it in the adapter at first but that's because there was dried epoxy in the tip of the shaft so I had to drill that out very carefully first. Went right and been sitting all night. I went with the 24hr stuff so hopefully that works.

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

An update after a couple of weeks and about 5-7 rounds with my new Ping G 9* with the Tour 65 shaft. I ditched my King LTD to go for something a little more forgiving and more consistant. I am loving this driver. It is long and straight for me so far. I'm hitting more fairways than I have in a long time, after failed efforts with the M1, M2, Cobra LTD and G30 LSTec. (I'd lose the LS tec to the right occasionally due to the fade bias). It's entirely possible I stumbled across a head and shaft combo that fits me best, I could have had the wrong shaft in my previous drivers. I've tended to lean more in the past towards more soft tip shafts, as I like the feel and 'kick' of them. However, my inconsistent driving led me to try a stiffer tipped shaft that seems to have straightened out my shots. I thought I'd mention that, as I don't want to erroneously lead people to believe that the G driver is far better than other offering out there. But for me and my swing right now, it is the best combo that I've tried in a couple of years. I feel that I can just aim down the middle, swing hard and release it, and it's going to go straight, with a hint of a draw. It's still louder than I prefer, but I love the performance. In case you missed an earlier post I made in this thread, I tried the Alta 55 shaft in this same head, but was all over the map with it. A change to the Tour 65 straightened it right out.

Ping G430 LST 9*, Ka’ili White 60

TM Qi10 15*, Ventus TR Blue 60
Ping G430 19* hybrid, Kai’li White 80
Callaway Apex 21 4-AW, Pro Modus 3 Tour 120
Titleist SM9 52* F, Titleist SM10 58* D

Cameron Phantom X 11, 2021
Titleist ProV1

It continues...I have to definitely say this is the best driver I had in my hands. Played Apple Valley GC, SoCal today with some buddies. Shot a 84 but I left 5 shots on hole 8, 9 alone when I straight pulled & pushed the drivers respectively and got punished by trees/bad short game...what a round it could have been if I pulled the rest of my game in. Ping definitely game me a chance even with my misses...they were straight, not 1 hook or slice at all...

I also enjoy piping my drives today, and I like the fact that I can aim and pull the trigger - especially the back 9 of Apple Valley where you have to be precise with OB/houses left and right since its a single track fairway design.

Really enjoyed the driving game now especially as I grow confident to hit drives on demanding holes & I can put away the 2 iron and enjoy the SW/GW/W in.

And in past years, for this course, I have played the M1, R15, SLDR, SFTP, Geek Golf, G20 drivers - none could give me the same confidence or accuracy & length like the Ping G.

Did anyone go from the G30 LS Tec to the regular G this time around?

I went from the LS to the SF...

i am a 8 handicap, and I play a fade. but my miss is the big block (and it always still fades)

I demo'd a SF G30 and it was the best I have EVER hit a driver... so I swallowed my pride and ordered a digitally lofted 9.5 degree G SFT...

I have been playing a G SFT in 10 degrees and hitting it as far as i normally do but with a 60% swing. its just awesome... I hit it a little higher than I would like but i will adjust the new one down a half a degree to keep the face a little more square (i have hit a couple of hooky shots with this thing)

It feels great, and maybe I am weird but I love the sound and the look of it.

Just to play devils advocate here, but how can you order the digital lofting when you don't digitally know the loft of the SFT you were hitting?

lol......good one

If you guys came from the G30 driver to the G series driver. Is there really any difference between the 2? Like noticeable distance gain, more forgiving, feel, sound. Or they relatively close enough to each other. Now understand this is straight off the rack. No fitting what so ever. He's a pretty shy guy and gets embarrassed easily. My buddie and I are looking into getting either the G30 or G series as a gift.

Cobra fly z+ Aldila rogue black
TM aero burner mini driver aldila rogue black
TM R9 3&5 wood stock
2016 mizuno jpx ez 4-gw
Cleveland cg16 50,56,62
Odyssey black series #5

Ive had a few rounds now with the Rogue 70x and I actually think I lie the Ping Tour 65x tipped 1" better. Maybe its the weight but Im more consistent with the Ping Tour and I think I actually hit it farther as well.

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY