2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Ping G, G LS Tec and SF Tec Drivers

zakkozuchowski

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone successfully remove the blue paint from the bottom of these drivers/fairways. I'm thinking it would look 10x better without the topaz blue on there.

It's a hideous design feature that seems to be infecting Ping's models lately (including the i-e irons).

Wish they would go back to their trademark black and white designs.

Are you guys who don't like the fade bias on the G30 LS slicing it? Or just fading it? I have a Kiyoshi Purple in mine and it just goes dead straight with an occasional baby cut, which I love. I can see if you're slicing it to change, but a baby cut is by far the most playable shot shape. May take 10 yards off but in play and still longer than most is great to me.

Side note: I played the Ping "Tour" shaft in it at first and was hitting it horrendously. Since I've put the Kiyoshi in it, it's been unreal. I will never go back to a "stock" shaft again in any driver. They never work for me.

Not if you aim up the right expecting a draw it isn't. I understand that a lot of guys eyes santvtovpark see a cut , but mine don't unless it's a need to shot. I've dumped mine for something that will bend both ways. Shame too. I really liked the feel and look of the head.

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Titleist MB 3-pw modus 130x 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Anyone successfully remove the blue paint from the bottom of these drivers/fairways. I'm thinking it would look 10x better without the topaz blue on there.

It's a hideous design feature that seems to be infecting Ping's models lately (including the i-e irons).

...could be worse. could be VOLT!!!!!!

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

I have a 9* regular G head on the way. This should be interesting to see if there is any difference in over all performance vs the G ls tec .

Let us know how that goes.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Will do for sure. I was on the fence about spending more money but after hearing the same thing over and over about the ls tec head I knew I should at least try it out. I have gamed the ls tec long enough to do a fair on course comparison. My shaft is a low spin beast so it may be a perfect fit with the regular head. We will see as it arrives Wednesday.

Everyone is different but my miss with the driver is a high fade. I found the G to "gently" drift off line and ended up not too bad. The LS Tec was entering into borderline slice territory for me.

Basically on well struck shots, the LST was longer, and on not so well struck shots it was more offline. For my game I need more help with consistency versus distance so I went with the G.

Everyone is different but my miss with the driver is a high fade. I found the G to "gently" drift off line and ended up not too bad. The LS Tec was entering into borderline slice territory for me.

Basically on well struck shots, the LST was longer, and on not so well struck shots it was more offline. For my game I need more help with consistency versus distance so I went with the G.

This sounds like something I would post. The regular G has me interested.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

...could be worse. could be VOLT!!!!!!

Hideous is kind of strong and quite frankly a personal opinion. I thought the black/red of the 15's/20's was hideous, but that's me. I don't like red. I like blue and orange, so I liked the 10's and the 2's and 5's which all used a blue and in the 10's orange scheme. Black and white has not been used since before the 2's, so the isi's, Zing2's, Zing, eye2 etc. The most neutral of the current gen was the 25's, with a very very faint line of red (mostly black and white and those I could stand). Besides I cannot understand who the heck cares about the sole of the club graphic that is covered with a headcover and always faces the ground at address.

It's a nice stick for sure, I've only played a few rounds with mine and hit the driving range a couple of times so I could still be in the honeymoon phase.

I've been a Cobra guy for the last 4 or 5 years or so, basically since whenever the original Amp Cell Pro came out. Flirted/Demo'ed otherstuff but always went back to Cobra gear. Demo'ed the G against my Bio Cell+ and this years new Cobra offerings and the G was just better for me overall. The LTD was the longest out of everything for me on well struck shots for sure but I was also the most wild with it.

I ended up with the stock Alta shaft, and I'm on the fence about that one. On the monitors I was getting good numbers and same on the range when I was demo'ing. However on the course it is ballooning just a bit for me so I might look at snagging one of their Tour 65 shafts. Also the SF Tec was on my radar too, really solid head and it took me a few times demo'ing to decide between the SF Tec and the regular G. With my game the SFT was just stupid straight for me but didn't quite have the distance of the G. There was less of a difference on offline shots between the G and the SFT versus the G and LST for me so I went with the G.

Honestly, I wouldn't have much to complain about with any of the 3 from the lineup though in my bag, very solid top to bottom.

It's a nice stick for sure, I've only played a few rounds with mine and hit the driving range a couple of times so I could still be in the honeymoon phase.

I've been a Cobra guy for the last 4 or 5 years or so, basically since whenever the original Amp Cell Pro came out. Flirted/Demo'ed otherstuff but always went back to Cobra gear. Demo'ed the G against my Bio Cell+ and this years new Cobra offerings and the G was just better for me overall. The LTD was the longest out of everything for me on well struck shots for sure but I was also the most wild with it.

I ended up with the stock Alta shaft, and I'm on the fence about that one. On the monitors I was getting good numbers and same on the range when I was demo'ing. However on the course it is ballooning just a bit for me so I might look at snagging one of their Tour 65 shafts. Also the SF Tec was on my radar too, really solid head and it took me a few times demo'ing to decide between the SF Tec and the regular G. With my game the SFT was just stupid straight for me but didn't quite have the distance of the G. There was less of a difference on offline shots between the G and the SFT versus the G and LST for me so I went with the G.

Honestly, I wouldn't have much to complain about with any of the 3 from the lineup though in my bag, very solid top to bottom.

Your Experience mirrors my own. If you do get a chance to hit the Tour Shaft in the G please post your results I am considering doing the same. I have a natural high ball flight with the G but most shots are boring on occasion however I will get one that balloons.

Picked up my G head today. Alta stiff shaft should be here possibly tomorrow or Thursday.

Looking forward to seeing how the standard G head performs with both the Tour 65 shaft and the Alta.

I actually prefer the Alta shaft in the 3 wood over the Tour 80.

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

From my initial fitting (club builder did a preliminary fitting as the regular fitter was away), I found the G LS much too low spinning. Just couldn't control the ball and it would just drop out of the air on high toe strikes costing me massive distance.

With driver, I hit up on the ball quite a bit but keep my swing direction to the right. When I do this correctly I get big high draws. Was launching all heads between 15-18°. I had a few balls with the G LS and my G30 LS that were sub-1000 spin. Just crazy low. Uncontrollable.

Really liked the sound/feel of the new G line versus my driver. But the guy had me in much heavier and tip stiff shafts compared to my own, so I'm not sure if that contributes to the difference in sound.

Tried the G and G LS in the Tour 80 s and x, a Fujikura Pro black (can't remember the specs), and an Accra 70x. I don't swing crazy fast anymore (108 - 110 when fresh, but it drops significantly when I get tired), but I put quite a bit of load on the shaft on the downswing, so he thought I would benefit from heavier, more tip stiff options. What was strange is even after 30+ swings, my speed didn't slow down with the heavier options. I found that strange.

I'm coming from a G30 LSTec with tour 65x 10.5° set to 10°.

I have an official fitting with the regular fitter coming up soon, so we'll see what he says. I'm thinking I'll be leaning towards the regular G head in 9°, shaft tbd. Hopefully bring the launch down and spin up. Bonus is I'll get the extra moi of the regular G head! ?

Loved the shape of the new G series. I'll be trying out the fwys and hybrids too.

TITLEIST TSR2 / TENSEI AV BLUE XLINK 65S

TM SIM2 Ti / MOTORE X F3 7S

PING G430 / 3H 4H TOUR 2.0 CHROME 85S

PING i230 / 5-PW MODUS 115S

TITLEIST SM9 / 50F 54D 58D S200

TITLEIST FLOWBACK 5 / SPECIAL SELECT

Regular G arrives today. Really looking forward to a test between the ls tec. I noticed again last night that high toe shots fall out of the sky quickly. It's weird because the launch angle seems fine but the ball starts to fall quickly. Unfortunately my normal mishit is towards the toe. I avoid the heel at all costs to a fault

Makes sense for the toe hit right? Less spin as well as less loft to impart spin. It's akin to a drop kick that rolls forever.

Received my other replacement G LS yesterday and Ping nailed the specs I was going for (finally). Think I'm going to at least put this one in play and see how it does. Interested to see the results of your regular G test as I may end up going that route too if the LS doesn't work out.

Still waiting for my G LS replacement, shipped yesterday so should be here tomorrow but wont get to hit till the weekend. Man I'm hitting my backup i25 so good though....

TM Qi10LS Hulk PVD 70TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

Makes sense for the toe hit right? Less spin as well as less loft to impart spin. It's akin to a drop kick that rolls forever.

Received my other replacement G LS yesterday and Ping nailed the specs I was going for (finally). Think I'm going to at least put this one in play and see how it does. Interested to see the results of your regular G test as I may end up going that route too if the LS doesn't work out.

Oh yes I understand the toe issue results but I have never had such a punishing result with any other driver. Even mid toe position is very punishing in terms of hang time. My Japan Jetspeed actually shined on semi toe shots.

Oh yes I understand the toe issue results but I have never had such a punishing result with any other driver. Even mid toe position is very punishing in terms of hang time. My Japan Jetspeed actually shined on semi toe shots.

man you guys are tough. I toe hit all the time until recently, with the G30 LS and now the G, it is still out there and with draw. One of the reason that I got onto the G30 line (and eventually the G) in the 1st place was because of a toe hit literally right at the face corner (range ball mark and all on the rough face) and still smoked it. Try that on a M1 430 and its blah.

I found that teeing the ball lower to where the ball is just smidgen above the crown has greatly reduced the toe hits for me. Much better contact. Before this I teed it high as well, too many misses for the distance gain, not worth it.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

I've had some really good driving rounds so far in competition, on par or better with the g30 LS from last year for sure.

I made the mistake of putting mine into play with only a range session the morning of our match, after installing the replacement Rogue Silver, and trimming it so it played about a half inch longer than I wanted. It was ugly. That night, I trimmed a half inch off of it, put in a heavier weight from my G30 LS, and played a practice round for a Michigan Am qualifier the next day, and drove it a lot better, but still was missing right about half the time. Yesterday, during the qualifier, I got my tempo back under control (I had gotten super quick), and had the best driving day all year. I hit 9/10 fairways, and the one I missed is on a hole where I semi-intentionally bail out right because there's miles of room there and left is dead. And I was hitting it a long way with the nice draw that I'm used to seeing. Most of that was fixing my swing, but the G with the Rogue Silver seems like it's a good 10 yards longer than any setup I had with the G30 LS (I have not hit this shaft with the G30 LS yet, but from what I've seen playing both in the lowest loft setting, which is probably the best for me from a ball speed and spin perspective, the G LS seems more forgiving.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

man you guys are tough. I toe hit all the time until recently, with the G30 LS and now the G, it is still out there and with draw. One of the reason that I got onto the G30 line (and eventually the G) in the 1st place was because of a toe hit literally right at the face corner (range ball mark and all on the rough face) and still smoked it. Try that on a M1 430 and its blah.

I found that teeing the ball lower to where the ball is just smidgen above the crown has greatly reduced the toe hits for me. Much better contact. Before this I teed it high as well, too many misses for the distance gain, not worth it.

Good point. due to the low spin shaft with the ls tec I am teeing the ball higher than ever which has brought the toe shot into play more. Maybe with the G I can tee the ball a little lower.

I am looking forward to buying A G driver; can you tell me which is its standard weight ( if there is a standard) , considering that my shaft will be "45" ; 64,5 g and my grip 59g ( multicomp , midsize )

My goal is to get to a swingweight of D 3 even D4 if possible

Thanks in advance

Patrick

Ping G 10,5 ADMT 6s

Callaway XR 16 Fuji 665 Evo 2 Ts

Honma 19 and 22 ° Vizard

Honma 737 V DGSL S 300

Honma 52 and 58 TW // SM6 52 and 58

Spider Tour DJ

I am looking forward to buying A G driver; can you tell me which is its standard weight ( if there is a standard) , considering that my shaft will be "45" ; 64,5 g and my grip 59g ( multicomp , midsize )

My goal is to get to a swingweight of D 3 even D4 if possible

Thanks in advance

Patrick

Patrick I think it will vary from head to head. I just received a regular G version head and I compared it to my Ping G ls tec head. They both weigh the exact same at 200 grams. Now I plan to test these side by side with my Veylix Rome 688 shaft. So this works great for me but I doubt that was an intentional design.