2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Ping G, G LS Tec and SF Tec Drivers

zakkozuchowski

Small amount of range time with the regular G driver then 9 holes with only 6 drives with the G. Definitely feels better to me. Not as harsh. Set it at 9* and 10* . I will probably game it at 10* my swing was decent but I did hit a few fades. Not as easy to draw as I expected with the Veylix Rome. Launch was mid flight at 9*. Mid high at 10*

Still wet here so it was an all carry kind of round. I play 3 more rounds this week so I will continue to try the G instead of the G ls tec. Love the feel but so far not sure about the distance and forgiveness advantages

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot to mention that my best drive at 9* only carried about 247. No roll so I plan to try this set up at 10* today to see if my launch was too low. I can tell a big difference in feel and to me it does not sound as harsh either. BUT if I lose yardage I will be back to the ls tec. I had a golf buddy ask me why I was messing around with Ping. "They have always been shorter than others but very forgiving" his words. I think the G30 and the G line up has broken that cycle but the jury is very much out on the regular version for me. I may try my Attas 3 shaft with the regular head as well. you know,just to muddy the waters a little more. My last drive seemed hot. I thought it had to be about 270. It was a slight fade. Nope,247 and my buddy out drove me by 14 yards with his M1. With the ls tec I was normally right with him. Neither of us are big hitters but we can get it out there 275 to 290 on solid hits. Not as an average but we both see that drive several times in a round. I will post results after this afternoons round.

I forgot to mention that my best drive at 9* only carried about 247. No roll so I plan to try this set up at 10* today to see if my launch was too low. I can tell a big difference in feel and to me it does not sound as harsh either. BUT if I lose yardage I will be back to the ls tec. I had a golf buddy ask me why I was messing around with Ping. "They have always been shorter than others but very forgiving" his words. I think the G30 and the G line up has broken that cycle but the jury is very much out on the regular version for me. I may try my Attas 3 shaft with the regular head as well. you know,just to muddy the waters a little more. My last drive seemed hot. I thought it had to be about 270. It was a slight fade. Nope,247 and my buddy out drove me by 14 yards with his M1. With the ls tec I was normally right with him. Neither of us are big hitters but we can get it out there 275 to 290 on solid hits. Not as an average but we both see that drive several times in a round. I will post results after this afternoons round.

I was a long time Titleist Driver /woods Still bag Titleist 3 wood and Hybrid. I made a move to strictly Ping Drivers at the Ping Rapture V2 I held onto that Until the G30 and now the G I have never felt that I sacrificed distance with these three clubs. I did find that the G25 launched high for me in spite of all my efforts to put one in the bag. I play a standard G in 9 deg. at the small - setting. I play in a group with a variety of drivers TaylorMade M1, Nike Volt, (blue head is all I know about it) The Titleist 915 D2 I wouldn't say there is five yards difference between any of us on any given drive. Play your Ping with confidence you have the benefit of forgiveness with distance.

Received my G LS 10.5 to replace my i25 in which the hosel cracked. Ping sent it out free of charge. I ordered the Tour 65x tipped 1" at playing length of 45" and 5g of "hot melt" (they call it something different) in a neutral setting or bias. I was afraid that the 10.5 would launch too high but I think with the 1" tipping and the placement of the hot melt, presumably on the crown, this. Thing. Is. Amazing. First off the sound and feel are absolutely incredible. It's almost like an old Cally F3 Tour. Very composite like which I love. Secondly this thing is a rocket launcher. The trajectory is perfect, higher than my 9.5 i25 but lower than the 10.5 I was using as a backup. Both of which I was playing an Oban Devotion 60 05 tipped 1".

I have seen a lot of complaints about it being fade biased but I was hitting my normal 5 yard baby draws. It seems way more forgiving than the i25 and a little hotter off the face. Only hit it on tha range but hopefull ill get a chance to play this weekend and see what my actual distances are. I still have the Devotion and may throw aG adapter on it but I'm going to put the Tour 65 through the ringer first.

Lastly I have had heads hot melted before, the i25 was, but whatever Ping used had a much greater effect on sound and feel than anything else I have had experience with.

TM Qi10LS Hulk PVD 70TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

18 holes with my Ping G ls tec/Veylix Rome 688 combo. It just flat out works for me 90% of the time. Outer toe shots are still very penalizing but the ball still travels and stays fairly straight. Swing flaw of mine but it is hard for me to fix this 100% of the time. The ls tec is definitely longer for me. It is still a forgiving low spin head. I think it is much more forgiving than the M1 but that is only my experience. The m1 is a flat out bomber so this is not a Taylormade basher. On good days I would love to game the M1 430. In dry conditions I think it would be a sick club with the right shaft. I may try a few more shafts with this head but I see this head staying in my bag for 2016.

Played yesterday, FANTASTIC driving round at Woodley Lakes in Los Angeles. The 9th hole had the best drive: 308 yards GPS off the Blues, leaving 99 in. I've not hit it up there for a very long time and the last time I did it was with a G10 7.5. Smatterings of 290s and high 280s drives through the round. A couple of sky balls as well especially off the 10th dogleg hole when I took on the twin palms - the ball still flew and left me 166 to the hole, thats the #1 hole. Shot par at the end of the day thanks to so many fairways hit.

I had a lot of fun driving.

Right now, my G combo is about the best driver I've had in my hands. Best M1 430, beat R15 430, beat SLDR, beat SFTP,, beat RBZ, beat the G20, G15 7.5, G10 7.5...all the drivers I remember (and a couple I still have as backup)

Very, very impressed with the length and forgiveness and on a -short- 44" driver setup.

While the club-hoe in me wants so, so much to tinker with the shaft in the head, I'll save my money for the next gen Ping. I don't think I can squeeze anything more out of this combo. I think it also really helps I was done with tinkering with the 10.5 G LS head and different swing weight so I can FOCUS on this end combination. I've hit it so well in the 3 weeks since I was done tinkering.

Go :smilie_ping:

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Moved my set up to the Big - (8*) and woe Nellie. Picked up about 10 yards on best hits and maybe 15 on off center hits.

Spinning around 2400 and launching at 14. I'm done tinkering. Finally found the sweet spot on the settings.

Ironically this is about where my numbers were with the G30 LS from last year w Stiff shaft on launch and spin.

The G is a little more accurate for me. Maybe mental don't really know why.

Moved my set up to the Big - (8*) and woe Nellie. Picked up about 10 yards on best hits and maybe 15 on off center hits.

Spinning around 2400 and launching at 14. I'm done tinkering. Finally found the sweet spot on the settings.

Ironically this is about where my numbers were with the G30 LS from last year w Stiff shaft on launch and spin.

The G is a little more accurate for me. Maybe mental don't really know why.

Forgot to mention I was at 10.5 w the LS version of the G30

My SF Tec 10* is the most consistent fairway finding driver I have owned. I'm not a long hitter or fast swinger (around 91mph on Trackman), but I am averaging 240 off the tee including miss hits. I replaced the Tour 65 shaft with a Fujikura Six I was fitted into for my M1 and that combination is proving to be a winner for me. My last three rounds, I'm starting to get more and more drives out in the 250+ range and also finally starting to see a small draw on a more regular basis. Total distance still goes to the M1, but consistent distance and fairways is firmly with the G. I have now dropped over 2 handicap points since getting this in the bag and thats all down to hitting more fairways with it.

Callaway Mavrik 9*, Kuro Kage Black 60gr Stiff..
Callaway Rogue 3 wood.
Titleist U510 3 iron.
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 5 - PW.
Vokey SM7, 50F, 54S, 58D.
Scotty Cameron Futura X5.

Question for you Ping heads. The last 2 years I have played a Titleist 913 D2 with a Motore Speeder 6.2 tour spec (S) in it. It's been a great club, love the shaft. Tonight I tested out the Ping G with the Alta XS shaft. I LOVED the forgiveness of the head as it seemed I could swing as hard as I want and the ball wouldn't go offline. Was getting good carry too. Problem is I was hitting everything a mile in the air (10.5 head with it adjusted to the large minus symbol). My question may be dumb but I am a new "tinkerer". I love that speeder tour spec shaft, and the launch angle I get with my Titleist. If I put that shaft in the Ping, will I lose the forgiveness I had with the Alta? Or is forgiveness found more in the head? I basically want the launch of the speeder and keep the forgiveness I had tonight. Maybe this "best of both worlds" thing doesn't exist. Any input is appreciated.

Dr:  Titleist TSI3 Fujikura Ventus Black 7X 

3W: Taylormade SIM Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8TX

UW: Callaway UW 19 Accra TZ5 100TX
or
New level Utility iron Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Titleist T100 4-PW Dynamic Gold X100 Onyx
Vokey SM8 50,54,58, Dynamic Gold tour issue black onyx x100 (s400 58)
Taylormade Spyder Custom

And as an FYI I was professionally fitted for the Speeder shaft

Dr:  Titleist TSI3 Fujikura Ventus Black 7X 

3W: Taylormade SIM Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8TX

UW: Callaway UW 19 Accra TZ5 100TX
or
New level Utility iron Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Titleist T100 4-PW Dynamic Gold X100 Onyx
Vokey SM8 50,54,58, Dynamic Gold tour issue black onyx x100 (s400 58)
Taylormade Spyder Custom

Question for you Ping heads. The last 2 years I have played a Titleist 913 D2 with a Motore Speeder 6.2 tour spec (S) in it. It's been a great club, love the shaft. Tonight I tested out the Ping G with the Alta XS shaft. I LOVED the forgiveness of the head as it seemed I could swing as hard as I want and the ball wouldn't go offline. Was getting good carry too. Problem is I was hitting everything a mile in the air (10.5 head with it adjusted to the large minus symbol). My question may be dumb but I am a new "tinkerer". I love that speeder tour spec shaft, and the launch angle I get with my Titleist. If I put that shaft in the Ping, will I lose the forgiveness I had with the Alta? Or is forgiveness found more in the head? I basically want the launch of the speeder and keep the forgiveness I had tonight. Maybe this "best of both worlds" thing doesn't exist. Any input is appreciated.

My experience is the G heads seem to launch a little higher. Have you considered dropping down to the 9 deg head? Give it a go with the same Alta shaft and it could solve your launch problems. To answer your question the majority of the forgiveness is designed in the head the reason I say majority is the shaft will play a role in flight and direction. Considering you were fitted for the Speeder I would expect that it would be a strong candidate in the G. At this point look for a fitter and demo the head and shaft options available until you have it all dialed in to your liking.

My question may be dumb but I am a new "tinkerer". I love that speeder tour spec shaft, and the launch angle I get with my Titleist. If I put that shaft in the Ping, will I lose the forgiveness I had with the Alta? Or is forgiveness found more in the head?

There are two separate aspects to how 'forgiving' a club might be.

1) given a certain mis-hit, what happens to the ball flight. That is pretty much all in the head and the shaft will have little influence.

2) how consistent is the swing itself. This is where the shaft can potentially have a big influence. Different feels from different bend profiles or shaft weights (or length and head weight) can potentially cause the swing to become more (or less) inconsistent and therefore give the impression that the club is more or less forgiving.

Since this last point is very subjective (everyone can respond differently to different changes in feel), the only way to determine what impact it has on the results is to go ahead and try the combination and see what happens.

But the head does have an impact on the launch conditions based on the actual loft and the c.g. location - so I would not expect the launch to necessarily stay the same if you move the speeder into the ping head. Although it may improve the launch some, the Alta is a fairly soft high launching shaft and could be adding to the launch with the ping set-up. However, adjusting the head loft is a much more effective and reliable way to control the launch and spin than doing so with the shaft profile.

Just played my first big tourney of the year with the G LS in the bag. Standard Tour 65 S in play as it's the shaft I'd been finding fairways with so I left it in instead of swapping in the AD DI 6x I have.

Day 1 - 8/11 Fairways, averaged 286 off the tee

Day 2 - 8/11 Fairways, averaged 289 off the tee

The fairways I missed I didn't miss by much, and really I drove it beautifully both days. I maintain that this is a vast improvement over the G 30 LS.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

Yeah another round with my G LS and this thing is just insane. With the hot melt the sound and feel are simply put, amazing. Distance and accuracy have both improved over my i25. I'm long naturally and I've been in places with the G I've never been before. And it's still wet here in the "south"

TM Qi10LS Hulk PVD 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

Just played my first big tourney of the year with the G LS in the bag. Standard Tour 65 S in play as it's the shaft I'd been finding fairways with so I left it in instead of swapping in the AD DI 6x I have.

Day 1 - 8/11 Fairways, averaged 286 off the tee

Day 2 - 8/11 Fairways, averaged 289 off the tee

The fairways I missed I didn't miss by much, and really I drove it beautifully both days. I maintain that this is a vast improvement over the G 30 LS.

Congratzs. Yeah the Tour 65 is about the best "stock" shaft there is...given its a derivative of the elements chrome, it's got great genes underneath the Ping paint job. For most. I have been tempted to switch it out but why mess with a great combo. I moved my g30 ls as well, granted it was great but the g is just AWESOME, by comparison.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Yeah another round with my G LS and this thing is just insane. With the hot melt the sound and feel are simply put, amazing. Distance and accuracy have both improved over my i25. I'm long naturally and I've been in places with the G I've never been before. And it's still wet here in the "south"

Where did you have the hot melt placed? I'm going to Calgary to get mine done and I am going 4g on the crown...

my 915 wasn't behaving very well the last couple of rounds (yeah i know. indian not arrow) so i borrowed a G SFtec from my shop.

well... i didn't hit it as far as my 915d2, but i almost hit every fairway with it. and with my ss that is around 95-99, the light stock alta shaft felt really nice.

was the G driver released in fall 15? so the new G driver, and yes this is a little early, should be out spring 17?

my 915 wasn't behaving very well the last couple of rounds (yeah i know. indian not arrow) so i borrowed a G SFtec from my shop.

well... i didn't hit it as far as my 915d2, but i almost hit every fairway with it. and with my ss that is around 95-99, the light stock alta shaft felt really nice.

was the G driver released in fall 15? so the new G driver, and yes this is a little early, should be out spring 17?

They were released this year I think.

Callaway Mavrik 9*, Kuro Kage Black 60gr Stiff..
Callaway Rogue 3 wood.
Titleist U510 3 iron.
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 5 - PW.
Vokey SM7, 50F, 54S, 58D.
Scotty Cameron Futura X5.

Now trying a Kuro Kage Black TiNi shaft. great feel and I was able to loft down due to the shaft profile differences in comparison to the Veylix Rome 688. With this shaft it is still straight or a slight fade. I can turn it over but it is not the normal shot. I know this head is in the bag. I just want to try a few more shafts before the real tournaments begin. I hope to try the Aldila Rogue black and maybe a UST Chrome before making a decision.

Anyone have a G 10.5 in good shape that they would be willing to swap for a 9 degree?

Cheers,

D

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

Anyone have a Red Tie in their G? I picked one up on eBay for dirt cheap ($25) and liked it a lot in my BioCell. Waiting for my tip to come in to put it together, but I'm curious to see how it performs for me against the stock shaft. I didn't go for the TFC because I was getting better dispersion with the Atta but I'm excited to give the Red Tie a shot.

I was gaming a G30 LS 10.5* with Rogue 125msi 60x with great results but went & got a 9* & 10.5* G Series LS Tec's anyway. I've hit both G heads with a few different shafts I have (Rogue 125 60x, Kiyoshi Black, Kuro XT + a few others) & I just can't seem to get along with either. Granted my driver swing has been a little off but when I switch back to my M1 430, Cobra F6+, G30 LS & SF I smoke them.

I'll persevere a little longer with them & try some more shafts I have but if these things don't stop going right they'll be finding new homes.

Ping G LS 9* Aldila Tour Rogue 125msi 60x or
Taylormade M1 430 9.5* Aldila Tour Rogue 125msi 60s
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Tour Rogue 125msi 70s
Titleist 915 HD 17.5* Diamana Blue 80s
Cleveland 588 CB 5-PW Project X PXI 6.0
Titleist 712 GW KBS Tour
Cleveland Rotex 2.0 52* 56* 60*
Taylormade Spider Si Slant Neck

Where did you have the hot melt placed? I'm going to Calgary to get mine done and I am going 4g on the crown...

The crown. Told ping to place it with a neutral bias.

TM Qi10LS Hulk PVD 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

G30 was released July/Aug 2014. G released Jan/Feb of 2016. 18 month cycle which is Ping protocol these days

_________________________________________________________________________________________

:taylormade: Qi10 Max 12* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5R

PING G430 SFT 5w 19* | 7w 22* Alta CB Black (set to +/Flat)

Exotics Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design Tour G

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke HL 6-AW True Temper Elevate 85R

PING Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* | Smart Sole C 4.0

PING 2023 Anser 2D