2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Ping G, G LS Tec and SF Tec Drivers

zakkozuchowski

I'm looking for a G 9* Tour 65 Regular ... Looking on BTB and eBay, why is it so easy to find this in a Tour 65 Stiff and so hard to find it in a Tour 65 Regular?

Here's my take. I've been to several Ping demo days and shops that stock a lot of Ping gear. I've never seen a Tour 65/80 in R flex to try in the driver. I once saw a hybrid with a Tour in R flex and that's been it.

On new racks I've never seen one with a Tour shaft in regular flex.

So Ping and shops are simply not getting this shaft in R flex into people's hands to try and therefore are not ordering it.

When I bought my G30 I demod it with a Tour 80 stiff. Way too much shaft for my low 90's swing speed but it performed much better both distance and dispersion wise than the TFC shaft. The only G30 with Tour shaft they had in stock at the local shop was a Tour 65 S. Not wanting to wait I bought it. The next year my swing speed dropped a little and I couldn't launch it adequately. So I ordered a Tour 65R from Dicks.

Fast forward to this year. I switched to the G driver. The Alta shaft didn't work at all for me in R or S. Thankfully I had my Tour 65 R to try in it and liked the results better than my G30.

I made some swing changes this offseason and wanted to try a shorty driver. So I ordered a Tour 80 R to help with swing weight and it's been even better than the Tour 65 for me.

If you have a low 90's swing speed and looking for a shaft that is not as counter balanced as the TFC or Alta with less torque give the Tour 65/80 R flex a chance. You can also play it at a shorter length too. I wouldn't be playing a Ping driver if it wasn't for these shafts. It's based on the UST Elements Chrome and really is a nice shaft.

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking for a G 9* Tour 65 Regular ... Looking on BTB and eBay, why is it so easy to find this in a Tour 65 Stiff and so hard to find it in a Tour 65 Regular?

Maybe the Alta stiff delivers the same results as a Tour reg and w/o an upcharge? Or maybe the Alta reg for that matter.

Not for me. As mentioned above the Alta and TFC just sprayed the ball around the yard for me. The Tour shafts really tightened things up for me. Disclaimer though, I choke down when I demo shafts and I have to believe with the high balance point the TFC and Alta are meant to be played at full 45.75" length.

I'm more of a 43.5-45" guy.

Ping 2023 Anser D

Even though I've been a Ping fan off and on for a long time I was never enamored with their drivers until I got my G30. I only swing at 86-90mph so regular tfc shaft works fine for me. It has become the best driver I've ever owned. It put my BioCell in the basement and that took some doing.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

So it seems the best/only way to get a Tour 65 Regular is to order it through a dealer? Due to supply, eBay and BTB may have very few (if any)?

Check around before buying a Tour staff.

I've ordered two of them. The first at Dicks Sporting Goods. They charged me $75 and it was drop shipped to my house by Ping.

When I went to order a 2nd one a year later I called Dicks and even though my local store still sells Ping they told me they could no longer order shafts.

So I called my local shop and they wanted $100 for a Tour shaft. Finally asked at a fitting center/driving range in my area and it was $64 with tax. Cheapest I've found the Tour shaft. Heck even eBay is usually $70-100.

Ping 2023 Anser D

I am also looking for buy one or trade my tour 65 stiff shaft.

I

I have a Ping Tour 65 Regular that I would even trade for a Ping Tour 65 Stiff.

What shaft is giving everyone the best dispersion?

Tour 65 stiff, butt cut down to 44" finish length. Control & distance = best dispersion.

Luv my :smilie_ping: G LS

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

has anyone tried a rogue 125 in the G Ls tec?

I struggled with it, but i refuse to believe that the tour shaft fits me best.

why do you refuse to believe a Tour shaft fits you best? Have you run and compare the numbers? Or do you think the Tour shaft is made in Bangladesh by a no-name company and sprayed with "Ping Tour 65" graphics?

Just curious to see what your thinking is for the comment...

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft

I bought it off the rack without even trying it that's why :p

I hit it quite well with the odd round where I. Ant stop cutting it but there's a lingering doubt that I could make it better

Driver: M2, Ventus black

3w: Mizuno st 200, tense I blue

Hybrid: Mizuno clk 19

Irons: Mizuno JPX921 tours

wedges: Bettinardi HLX 3.0

Putter: Scotty Cameron H19

I picked up a used 12* G SF Tec head to swap with my 12* G30 SF Tec head. My understanding is that the G is a bit higher launching. Anyone played both? If so, your thoughts? If so, I'd like to dial it down one notch to open the face a bit.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

• 3 weeks later...

Ball flight is way too high with my 10* SF TEC G driver. Driver has 14g weight put in after I shortened shaft to play at 43.5".

Anyone else having similar problem with high ball flight? I know it's 95% my swing, but curious what less lofted head would do.

Just bought 9* G30 head to just try it out.

Ping G425 10.5 / Ping G410
Callaway UW 17*
Ping G410 4H
Cobra F7 EL 4i
Ping i200 6-UW / i500 5-PW Power Spec / i210 5-PW
Ping Glide 4.0 54/58
SC Phantom x 9.5 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking at a G 9* driver on eBay but noticed that the length is listed as 45.25" while Ping lists the length as 45.75". So, I messaged the seller and his response is below. Is this legit? Thoughts?

Yes, that is correct. While Ping advertises 45.75" as their "standard Length", Most of the "Tour shafts" (for better players) come at 45.25" in length. This shaft was measured prior to listing.

Remember that "standard length" is the point at which Ping starts. Their "standard". From this length everything will be custom length additional or custom reduced.

By comparison, A Titleist Drivers standard length is 45". A Ping I25 or Anser Driver standard length is 45".

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Cobra F8 7W
Cobra F8 4H
Mizuno 919 Hot Metal 5-GW
Callaway MD3 54*
Callaway MD PM 58*
Ping Sigma G Tyne

I'm looking at a G 9* driver on eBay but noticed that the length is listed as 45.25" while Ping lists the length as 45.75". So, I messaged the seller and his response is below. Is this legit? Thoughts?

Yes, that is correct. While Ping advertises 45.75" as their "standard Length", Most of the "Tour shafts" (for better players) come at 45.25" in length. This shaft was measured prior to listing.

Remember that "standard length" is the point at which Ping starts. Their "standard". From this length everything will be custom length additional or custom reduced.

By comparison, A Titleist Drivers standard length is 45". A Ping I25 or Anser Driver standard length is 45".

Yup... the seller is correct. The Tour shafts are 1/2" shorter than the standard Alta shafts!

Yup... the seller is correct. The Tour shafts are 1/2" shorter than the standard Alta shafts!

Thanks.

Also, please correct me if I am wrong: If I get the 9* and adjust it to 10*, I would then be playing with a 10* draw-biased driver?

I've never had an adjustable driver, so the concept of adjusting is a bit cloudy to me.

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Cobra F8 7W
Cobra F8 4H
Mizuno 919 Hot Metal 5-GW
Callaway MD3 54*
Callaway MD PM 58*
Ping Sigma G Tyne

Looking to cut down my G sft. It has the Alta shaft and want to cut 1 1/4" off. Someone said the Alta shaft is counter balanced and should not be cut down? If I can cut it, looks like I need to buy the 16 gram weight to get swing weight correct?

Callaway Rogue 10.5* Driver
Callaway Rogue 3 Wood
Callaway Rogue 5 wood
Callaway 4/5 Hybrid
Callaway Apex 6-GW
Callaway Mack Daddy 52/56 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Monterey

Yes adding loft should close the face a bit, according to most..

I wouldn't call it "draw biased" though. There's more to a draw bias than simply closing the club face at address.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Two rounds in with my 10 degree SF Tec with Tour 65x playing at 44.5" and am overall impressed. Never been one to use silly terms like "stupid easy" and the like, but I've spent more time in the left center of the fairway than I can remember. The only problem is the distance- or lack thereof. Part of it is the shaft length I'm sure, but it might be a bit spinny.

Those of you with the hot melt, can you send a driver in to ping to have this done, or does it need to happen at time of purchase?

Might consider swapping for a regular or ls tec if I can't get it sorted out.

I want to cut mine down to 44.5", how much weight do I need to add back, by my calculations about 16 grams? Also, can the Alta shaft be cut down? Someone said it is counter balanced and should not be cut?

Callaway Rogue 10.5* Driver
Callaway Rogue 3 Wood
Callaway Rogue 5 wood
Callaway 4/5 Hybrid
Callaway Apex 6-GW
Callaway Mack Daddy 52/56 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Monterey

Yes, the Alta shafts can certainly be cut down. The fact that they may be counterbalanced doesn't change that at all.

How much weight you need to add will depend on you and your swing and your particular preferences and something you need to figure out yourself. Assuming a certain amount based on those SW "rules of thumb" is a poor way to go. When changing the length that much, getting the original swing weight value "back" does not mean getting the same feel back - and that's assuming the original SW value was a good fit to begin with (which it usually is not). Just get some lead tape and add it a few grams at a time while hitting balls on the range. Use the feel and the results to judge the best amount for you. When you are done, then you can use the amount of lead tape to determine what size replacement weight to get (or just keep using the lead tape).

Two rounds in with my 10 degree SF Tec with Tour 65x playing at 44.5" and am overall impressed. Never been one to use silly terms like "stupid easy" and the like, but I've spent more time in the left center of the fairway than I can remember. The only problem is the distance- or lack thereof. Part of it is the shaft length I'm sure, but it might be a bit spinny.

Those of you with the hot melt, can you send a driver in to ping to have this done, or does it need to happen at time of purchase?

Might consider swapping for a regular or ls tec if I can't get it sorted out.

I want to cut mine down to 44.5", how much weight do I need to add back, by my calculations about 16 grams? Also, can the Alta shaft be cut down? Someone said it is counter balanced and should not be cut?

You could also send it to PING to have them adjust the swing weight to match what it is currently.

PING 430 Max 10.5 
PING G430 Max 18.5 
PING G430 Max 20.5 
PING i230 4-W DGS300 120
PING Glide 4.0, 50SS / 54SS / 58SS
Axis 1 Joey

16 gms on a head...wow. That makes it high launch for sure. My G LS has a 8gm and it comes in at D2, finished 44".

Shot a -1 (71) at Woodley Lakes on last Saturday, a lot of it is because of the driving - its stupid long, baby draw & add in the e6, it ain't gonna go anywhere but straight. Hitting is 285-305 that day, stupid wedges in. And its the shortest driver I have ever had in my hands also. Talk about shorter length=pure contact vs longer shaft=wilder contact, at least for my vertical swing.

Side issue, in my mind, I really want to change the Tour 65 for something more exotic like a Hzrdus, or go to the Kuro Kage Tini but when you see the ball out there, and even driving green 293 out (Golf Club of California, Temecula), there is no logical reason to even change the setting, let alone changing the shaft. Stupid, long driver. Best ever by Ping.