2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Ping G, G LS Tec and SF Tec Drivers

zakkozuchowski

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ended up going back to my G30 LS Tec from the G LS Tec. I just could not get the G to go straight or turn over. Always fading. I don't know if its the flatter lie or the particular head I had. I sold to my buddy and he has no issues with it and hits a high draw but he fights a hook. Lots of good in the G but just doesn't fit my swing as well as the old reliable G30.

I think there is something with the turbulators, it makes little sense my driver is at the shortest (44" Tour 65) ever for me and I am smoking it like I once did with a long SFTP or the G10 7.5 drivers many years ago. 3 rounds in the low 70s and I snotted one Par 4 to 99 in, this same hole is usually 145 in at best. Amazing G LS.

This is the best driver I have ever owned, don't want to fiddle with it.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

SwingBlues,

How much weight did you have to add to play at 44"? I am also thinking about cutting it to play close to 44".

45.25 - 44 = 1.25" = 7.5 SW = ~15g?

Ping G425 10.5 / Ping G410
Callaway UW 17*
Ping G410 4H
Cobra F7 EL 4i
Ping i200 6-UW / i500 5-PW Power Spec / i210 5-PW
Ping Glide 4.0 54/58
SC Phantom x 9.5 

SwingBlues,

How much weight did you have to add to play at 44"? I am also thinking about cutting it to play close to 44".

45.25 - 44 = 1.25" = 7.5 SW = ~15g?

My driver is set to D2, not D4. It has a 7gm weight that came from Ping. I tried a 12gm weight I got from a G30 LS head I once had and I did not like the heavier head feel, felt "slow" to me so I stuck with D2 as I felt it was the best feel and control combination in my hands.

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft

I have a low loft [8.5-9.0] 9 degree G with a tour 65x and a stretch fairway @14 with tour 80x if anyone is interested, pm me. Both are hot melted and sound great....:D

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

I ended up going back to my G30 LS Tec from the G LS Tec. I just could not get the G to go straight or turn over. Always fading. I don't know if its the flatter lie or the particular head I had. I sold to my buddy and he has no issues with it and hits a high draw but he fights a hook. Lots of good in the G but just doesn't fit my swing as well as the old reliable G30.

That's actually one thing I like about the G. I'm playing a fade with it but it still gets out there. Eliminated the left side, for now anyway. I agree though that it's hard (for me anyway) to turn it over.

• 2 weeks later...

I have G30 SF TEC 10* driver with ProLaunch Red shaft (regular, tipped 1/4", PL = 44") and I get lower ball trajectory than with Tour 65 stiff shaft with very good dispersion. Could be due to shorter shaft length.

Best $23 I ever spent on a driver shaft. Can't believe I am playing $23 shaft while my other significantly more expensive shafts (Tour 65, Black tie) are sitting in the trunk.

Anyone else playing inexpensive shaft in your G30/G driver?

Haven't had a Ping driver since I don't know when but picked up a G LS TEC with an AD-DI6 and all I have to say is WOW!!! Just feel like I can go after it and when you flush it the flight the distance is crazy. 385 yard par 4 yesterday downhill a little and then back uphill pretty good had 60 yards left to the flag. Wanna tinker with some other stuff but not sure if I can with this its just THAT good!

Took a while to learn how to hit it but finally got the LS worked out. Took me months of off-on trials before I finally bought one. Nearly as long as my SLDR 430 but noticeably better on off days. Now that it's somewhat grooved I can move it both ways when needed. The stock shafts were definitely not good for me. Either the counterweighting of the TFC bothered me or the Tour felt harsh. Find the right mix and it's a good weapon to have in the bag.

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

I have G SF TEC 12* driver set to 11*. Would ball flight be any different from 10* driver set to 11*?

yep, going from 12 to 11 will open the face a tad. Going from 10 to 11 will close the face a tad.

When I demod the G30 SF tec's the 12* lowered to 11* launched considerably higher than the 10* set to 11*. I went with the 10* as it was both longer and didn't balloon.

If you need launch go with the 12*. Otherwise the 10* is probably good enough.

A buddy of mine has been measuring Ping driver heads over the years and found the higher loft heads (12-13.5's) to be around 2-3* higher than started loft. The 9 and 10* heads were always in the ball park (maybe 1* over stated loft).

Makes sense. When you're lofting down you are opening the face and you'll see increased dynamic loft at impact and face more open to the path, all adds up to higher launch and spin, more curvature to the right. Lofting down you are closing the face and you'll see lower dynamic loft at impact, better face to path if you're coming from the outside which I'm assuming you are given you're hitting the SF Tec.

Is think you need to edit your post. You said when lofting down you are opening the face which will increase loft at impact. When you open the face doesn't it then need to close/be closing at impact which decreases the actual loft at impact? Otherwise, it doesn't make sense that a lower lofted driver would launch higher. You then followed with "lofting down you are closing the face and you'll see lower dynamic loft at impact". Did you mean lofting up will close face? Not trying to critique you. Just trying to understand.

I play a 9* G30 LS Tec. Had it digitally lofted when ordered to be exactly 9* and also wanted a neutral face angle at 9* which I was told it is. However, when set at 9* the club looks closed to me. Really messes with my eye. Feels like I'm going to pull everything left.

Ended up dropping loft to the small - so I think that brings it down to 8.4*. Face looks better at that setting and it was also the setting that gave me the best numbers in terms of distance/spin. When it is going well it goes really well. Ball position (and height) seems to really be the key. For me at least.

I have G SF TEC 12* driver set to 11*. Would ball flight be any different from 10* driver set to 11*?

yep, going from 12 to 11 will open the face a tad. Going from 10 to 11 will close the face a tad.

When I demod the G30 SF tec's the 12* lowered to 11* launched considerably higher than the 10* set to 11*. I went with the 10* as it was both longer and didn't balloon.

If you need launch go with the 12*. Otherwise the 10* is probably good enough.

A buddy of mine has been measuring Ping driver heads over the years and found the higher loft heads (12-13.5's) to be around 2-3* higher than started loft. The 9 and 10* heads were always in the ball park (maybe 1* over stated loft).

Makes sense. When you're lofting down you are opening the face and you'll see increased dynamic loft at impact and face more open to the path, all adds up to higher launch and spin, more curvature to the right. Lofting down you are closing the face and you'll see lower dynamic loft at impact, better face to path if you're coming from the outside which I'm assuming you are given you're hitting the SF Tec.

I play a 9* G30 LS Tec. Had it digitally lofted when ordered to be exactly 9* and also wanted a neutral face angle at 9* which I was told it is. However, when set at 9* the club looks closed to me. Really messes with my eye. Feels like I'm going to pull everything left.

To the naked eye truly square will "look" slightly closed.

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, S159 54/58*SS
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Today I must sing the praises of my PING G LSTEC Driver.

I've been playing really well of late. But today I drove the ball better than I ever have at my current club. I hit 10 drives with it today, missing only one fairway by about 3 yards and missing another one because I hit it past the end of the fairway. Of the 10, four of the drives went further than I have ever been on those holes. The other guys I was playing with were hitting it to where they usually do so it wasn't that the fairways were any firmer than usual. I'm normally happy to average 265. Today I averaged just under 280. After the round, one of my regular playing partners expressed his astonishment at how far I hit it all day.

I've hit pretty much all of the 2016 drivers. None of them fly as long and straight as my PING G.

I hit the g ls tec 10.5 oban hashimoto today and couldn't get it more then 10ft high. Grabbed the Ping tour 65 stiff with the standard g headcover and much better, a slight fade. I have more testing to do.

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

With the G15 being the last driver I purchased, I'm new to the world of adjustable drivers. How does the adjustable driver work? Does this mean I can get a 9* G Driver and adjust the loft to 10* loft?

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Cobra F8 7W
Cobra F8 4H
Mizuno 919 Hot Metal 5-GW
Callaway MD3 54*
Callaway MD PM 58*
Ping Sigma G Tyne

With the G15 being the last driver I purchased, I'm new to the world of adjustable drivers. How does the adjustable driver work? Does this mean I can get a 9* G Driver and adjust the loft to 10* loft?

Yes it does. So if flight is to low raise it up. To high lower it. It's a good tool.

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

I have had the LS Tec head for several months now. I currently have it set at 9.5. the open face does not really hurt me. The normal ball flight is a slight fade that is still very long for me. The best shaft so far has been the Kuro Kage TiNi black. I have tried the following so far: Veylix Rome 688,Attas 3,Ping tour 65,veylix Arcane. Honestly the Rome 688 was the longest. Not much longer than the KK but longer. Problem was it had a very stiff,board like feel to it. it would also go way right if I got tired or lazy. The KK keeps me in play.

I got my 10.5 ls tec and played it Saturday and Sunday. It is much louder then the standard g 10.5. Do like the ls better then the stock g for me.

Saturday with the stock tour 65 stiff and Sunday with the oban hashimoto. It was a struggle with the on Saturday only hitting 6 of 12 fairways. Flight was a little high and was at 11.5, do moved it to 10.5

Sunday I put the 16 gram weight in back and the oban in. I was 8 of 14 and most just missed the fairway. Liked this combo better then the stock tour.

Really would like to try the hzrdus yellow/red or rogue black in it.

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

I have had the LS Tec head for several months now. I currently have it set at 9.5. the open face does not really hurt me. The normal ball flight is a slight fade that is still very long for me. The best shaft so far has been the Kuro Kage TiNi black. I have tried the following so far: Veylix Rome 688,Attas 3,Ping tour 65,veylix Arcane. Honestly the Rome 688 was the longest. Not much longer than the KK but longer. Problem was it had a very stiff,board like feel to it. it would also go way right if I got tired or lazy. The KK keeps me in play.

Whats your SS? I really liked the KK Tini Silver in my M1 when I had it, great kick so I may experiment with a KK in the Ping although the Tour 65 is pretty darn hot & good.

I have the LS Tec with the Tour 65 shaft in the bag on a tryout. So far it has been really good.

The thing does seem to really go when you hit it well. Have played two after work nines at my club and I have gotten in some spots I don't normally see.

I'm going to use it in a member-guest this weekend, so that will be a good test for it.

Driver: Ping G430 LST
3W, 5W, 7W: Ping G430

Irons: Titleist T200 5-P
Wedges: Vokey SM9 50, 56, 60
Putter: Bettinardi QB6 with fit-face

I had 8 iron into the 18th this past Sunday when at best I typically have to hit a 6 or even a 5. And I have played this course at least 50 times.

And I've lost distance over the past few years so even when I was a bit longer I never poked one out there to have an 8 into 18.

Have been pleased with the G30 LS Tec & Tour 80 combo.

I'm looking for a G 9* Tour 65 Regular ... Looking on BTB and eBay, why is it so easy to find this in a Tour 65 Stiff and so hard to find it in a Tour 65 Regular?

Maybe the Alta stiff delivers the same results as a Tour reg and w/o an upcharge? Or maybe the Alta reg for that matter.

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]