2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Official WRX Gear Trials Event Thread: Results are in and Data live- Page 27

A confession . . . I'd be more than willing to purchase a WRX shirt with Knudson's likeness on the front. That beard is epic.

Please don't feed the monkeys! ;)

I come from a nation of lumberjacks.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my former players is the Cobra rep in Hawaii. After following this thread it sounds like he's going to have a big year ?

[color=#ff0000]Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course[/color]<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />[color=#0000ff]Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur [/color][color=#0000FF]University [/color]<br /><br />[color=#DAA520]My WITB[/color]<br /><br /><br /><br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/430688-zach-heussers-golf-clubs-putter-collection-and-man-cave-pics/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/[/url]<br />@Zheusser on twitter

What was determined to be the ideal launch angle and spin rate based on swing speed?

For example, 90 - 95 what was the ideal launch angle and spin rate? 96 - 100? 101- 105, etc.?

There wasn't one "ideal" number for launch and spin based on swing speed. It was based on several factors, such as attack angle, launch angle, smash, etc

What was determined to be the ideal launch angle and spin rate based on swing speed?

For example, 90 - 95 what was the ideal launch angle and spin rate? 96 - 100? 101- 105, etc.?

Everyone's different. If you want to know how to hit the longest drive at a certain SS play around on flightscope optimizer.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

For the past 3 hours I've read this entire thread. So much information is packed in here. I'm so envious of all those that got to run through this gauntlet. I can't wait to read specific data.

Being here in Alaska and really taking a seriousness to this game over the past two years had taught me two things that could be reiterated in this one thread.

1. You need solid numbers to better yourself at this game. More than just distance.

2. Without a proper fitting for clubs, you'll always be leaving yardage behind.

Thanks for all the great reads, if this happens again, I'll be sure that I don't miss it.

A confession . . . I'd be more than willing to purchase a WRX shirt with Knudson's likeness on the front. That beard is epic.

This needs to happen! Easyyy, add it to 2016 Swag Catalog

I'm a buyer.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke MAX 10.5*  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T24 RAW 52/58 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

Did anyone get to hit the tee ex9 tour head?? Was hoping to see something on that, love 440cc drivers

It was definitely one of the heads available but can't say how many people ended up trying it. I did but not one of the ones that worked out for me. Can't remember the exact reason why other than I was not nearly as consistent with it as I was with the non tour EX9. For me, that usually meant too light or too open faced.

This should give you a good baseline. Simply multiply your SS x Smash factor to get the ball speed that's relevant for you, and plot the best area based on the graphs below.

Sean, this was one of the most amazing things about the fitting process. There is SO much science behind it and all of the numbers have an important meaning to the fitter. Our fitter in the "A" group, Brian, was incredible. The man could look at the numbers and make slight adjustments. "Jim, we need a little more loft but we also need a little less flex but not much. Let's try this driver one more degree up but with this shaft."

And thus he slowly dialed in. While my gamer shaft was REALLY close to ideal for me it turned out that there was indeed a better one. When you see the final results be sure to look at some important factors:

Smash factor

Dispersion

Carry

Total

The shaft that I was hitting the best was the Kuro Kage 60S and when you see the dispersion it was amazing - a tight little circle out around 240 or so. My shaft on my gamer was putting out a sort of an oblong shaped dispersion pattern. That Kuro Kage on the Srixon, for me, was a deadly combo of nice distance, tight dispersion, and a beautiful flight that was quite literally by design. Brian told me his goals for my ball flight and the man kept having me try different combinations until he met his goal.

There is NO way anyone could possibly get these sorts of results without getting this kind of a fitting. It takes some really incredibly powerful equipment, people capable of analyzing all of the data being collected, and availability of the equipment to make the most of the whole process. This is what really made Miles of Golf so special because they literally had it all. Brian was using all of the data coming in to dial in the perfect combinations for me in order to essentially take what I was doing with a club and make the absolute most of it.

Years ago I was taking an MS Excel Course. I will never forget one of the things the instructor told us. "Most people get comfortable with the MS programs and only use about 30 or 40% of the real capabilities of the software."

This quote applies here too, Sean. I was drifting through my golf life believing that I was getting as much out as I could. I had been fitted albeit with video equipment and trial/error. But I honestly thought that my distance and accuracy were where they needed to be - where they could be; I was at max potential. But in reality I was only getting some of that potential from each swing - not all of it. "You don't know what you don't know" truly applies.

I have a feeling that lots of members out there will net a benefit from Richard's vision in making this whole thing possible. Because they will realize that all 15 of us were just regular guys who came together and came face to face with what might be. And it was something many of us did not even realize was there, in the background, waiting to be brought out. This coming weekend I will be using the information on the course for the first time. And almost certainly in the future I will be adding a 355 to my bag to get even more out of my potential. I now know what I didn't before - and I am going to take full advantage of what I learned about my game!

Hope this helps buddy. Can't help but wonder how many members out there are leaving yards, accuracy, and lower scores on the table.

Jim

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

This should give you a good baseline. Simply multiply your SS x Smash factor to get the ball speed that's relevant for you, and plot the best area based on the graphs below.

What about 168mph ball speed? ?

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

Ok... Ok... Ok

If Easyyy makes some, I'll sport one. Geezzz :victory:

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

WIll there be a final tally with ranking associated with this testing? I like reading the thread but a finally tally and scoring would be useful.

There will be, we just don't know how it's going to be presented yet. The staff may not quite know yet. We were throwing out all kinds of ideas at the dinner table Saturday night to try and give the best presentation possible. Two things to note here:

1. This is just my assumption based on bits and pieces I overheard throughout the day....I'm hoping for some sort of interactive chart or table. So many guys want to narrow things down by swing speed, but as we all know, and what was proven this past weekend, that's only a starting point, and a marginal one at that. After seeing guys with vastly different angles of attack, I think that might have more to do with launch conditions than anything else. I'm thinking an interactive chart where you can narrow it down by swing speed, angle of attack, maybe another metric or two. This will provide the whole site access to everything we collected, but that's a HUGE amount of data. I'm hoping for more than just a handful of hoola hoops in a Trackman printout. It's a lot to take on, so the staff needs to balance function with timing. Honestly, how many guys would come back and review this if those results aren't available until May? It takes time to build those things, so I'm excited to see what they come up with.

2. One idea we were throwing around at dinner was an olympic style medal count. Maybe even weight it. As in, Cobra got 3 gold medals, 4 silvers, and 1 bronze. I just made those up, as an example, so they'd have a medal count of 8. Is that leading? I'm not sure, we'll have to wait and see. Then if they weighted the results, maybe Cobra would end up with 14 points or something like that. Just some ideas we were tossing around.

Did you ever hit the HZRDUS Black during your testing of the LTD Pro and, if so, could you compare to the Agera? I loved my Rome 688 in a SLDR last year but it broke at the adapter and I never replaced it...I like playing a little shorter as well (closer to 44.5-44.25") and figured the Agera would give me a little more weight for a shorter build as opposed to another Rome. I've currently got a LTD Pro/HZRDUS Black 65X combo in the bag after a fitting but loved the feel of the Rome last year and wanted to tinker. Thanks for the awesome feedback so far as well.

Hey! You're in Milwaukee, I'm in your neck of the woods this week and next as a matter of fact.

No HZRDUS Black (or yellow, or red) for this guy. Not sure why fitter didn't have me try them, but I'm guessing he knew they weren't going to work. I can say this without question though...if you like the 688 Rome, you'll love the Agera. Profiles are extremely similar, feel is going to be really close too. Let me put it this way...the Agera is like a 70g version of the Rome in a lot of aspects. I was *this* close to buying a Rome 888 to use in my driver until ROBOPTI let me know his Agera was going to be coming out shortly when I was looking to build a 44.0" driver. So the un-WRX in me actually waited, and obviously I'm glad I did. I first had it in an i25 but it wasn't quite as straight as I wanted. I hit some bombs with it, but I was looking for something more forgiving which I found in the XR, but knudson had to jam like 10g of hotmelt in the thing for me and that's what I was playing the majority of last year.

I'm already talking to ROBOPTI about the LTD Pro with an Agera, I just need to see the final specs from MOG on how exactly it was set up and I'll have it in the bag. I'm 95% sure I know what they were, but I want to be certain.

I support this initiative, FULLY.

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

Ok... Ok... Ok

Done

AND THE PATRONS REJOICE

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

Ohh Brian is freakin hilarious. We were just going back and forth all day. At one point he went off claiming he was a wood builder/cabenet maker. We need a saying or a phrase for this shirt...

"Hammered"

"Cuttin wood"

or just "WRX" under the bearded head shot.

I believe at one point he also offered to change the oil in your car... Let's not leave that out.

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

Ohh Brian is freakin hilarious. We were just going back and forth all day. At one point he went off claiming he was a wood builder/cabenet maker. We need a saying or a phrase for this shirt...

"Hammered"

"Cuttin wood"

Chuck'n Wood

Hammer Time

Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

Ok... Ok... Ok

Done

XL for me

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

"Hammered"

"Cuttin wood"

"Making Sawdust"

" Dovetail Jointer"

"Planed to Perfection"

Or just WRX under his picture on the front with Brian's new avatar small on the back check area of the shirt.

I'll take a medium.

Ping G425 10.5 Graphite Design Tour AD-TP 65x
Ping G425 5 and 7 woods with Aldila Rogue 80s
Ping G525 4 iron Project X LZ 6.5
Ping i210 5-PW Project X LZ 6.5
Ping Glide 3 50 DG S400

Vokey 54s and 58m with DG S400
Artisan Golf 0217 

Thank you for taking my post seriously gents.

I'd like a large 'bearded bomber'.

I vote for Knudson's avatar on the front, left breast. Slogan under the avatar or on the back of the neck.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

Ok... Ok... Ok

Done

XL for me

Ditto.....

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Thank you for taking my post seriously gents.

I'd like a large 'bearded bomber'.

I vote for Knudson's avatar on the front, left breast. Slogan under the avatar or on the back of the neck.

It must say "The Knudson" somewhere on the garmit, it just must.

Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12