2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Official WRX Gear Trials Event Thread: Results are in and Data live- Page 27

What were the overall impressions of the Nike Vapor Fly Pro head? I saw the Rick Shiels review and he was crushing that thing further than just about any other driver he reviewed...really surprised at that. Not crazy about the color, but if it truly is that long, I could get used to it. Any impressions from the group???

I may have missed a few guys but as far as I saw Nike in general was one of the biggest "swings and misses". One person had it in the top 3 from what I watched and it was spanked in the final shootout for that person.

I thought it looked great, the face color and blue top were really appealing to me. There were just too many better performing options.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What were the overall impressions of the Nike Vapor Fly Pro head? I saw the Rick Shiels review and he was crushing that thing further than just about any other driver he reviewed...really surprised at that. Not crazy about the color, but if it truly is that long, I could get used to it. Any impressions from the group???

I was actually very impressed with the Nike Vapor Fy Pro. ALMOST made it to my final 3 with the XR Pro slightly, and I mean slightly, beating it out. It was by far a straighter ball flight than I thought I would get from that head. Good shape, sound, and feel from it.

I want to give a HUGE THANK YOU to GolfWRX and Miles of Golf. Was such a cool experience and really opened my eyes. I went in thinking nothing could touch my gamer and was proven pretty darn wrong.

Biggest surprise: How good the Titleist D4 was. It didn't win, but when the fitter handed it to me I was thinking there is no way I hit this well. It was very forgiving and offered a pretty good feel. I have never been a Titleist guy but this was really good.

Biggest disappointment: Nike Vapor Flex had just zero feel. I wasn't hitting the sweet spot at all yesterday and with this head I couldn't tell where I was making contact. After a shot my fitter asked if it was high toe and I told him I didn't know. Good and bad shots just felt like mush to me. Performance wasn't bad, it is low low spin.

CJPSignatureV3.png.c58dade69e39827f99ae02c309fb82e2.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify | YouTube

And some some pics....

Nate the fitter working with Itw419 "Ian"

Shawn the fitter, Andrew from WRX and Nelly32 "Ryan"

Pic of Zak "the journalist"

Shawn the fitter working with Tobybear "Ryan"

Shafts and some heads...

The machine that captured it all. We had 4 on site (3 working and GolfWRX brought theirs) as well as Matt Frelich (the top dog at Trackman in North America) came as well.

Nate the fitter jammin some numbers...

Brian Carpenter another master fitter working his magic...

A small sampling of the 3,500 Callaway Chrome Soft balls we mashed all day...

Some Miles of Golf coolness...

Another cool note, when I saw the schedule and how long the event was I figured there would be a ton of down time. I wasn't sure how we would fill that time, maybe putting inside? Instead we all just hung out and watched the others hit drivers all fricken day long! I moved from bay to bay but also spent a ton of time watching and BS'ing with the other guys in my "group". Each bay had a TV on the wall along with the computer monitor so we could watch each balls flight in action, got loud whenever anyone really caught one on the screws. I wasn't bored at any point.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

maybe it was mentioned and I missed it:

did they have BOTH the King LTD and Pro there?

was there a noticeable difference between the two?

Was anyone playing the Fly Z+ (or played is long enough to comment) leading up to this and can compare?

^^^^THIS^^^^ Did you guys try both King LTD and Pro?

What about f6+ and pro?! I loved both of those so if the ltd is that much better I really need to find one to try out!!!

Great read - thanks for sharing everybody!

LTD 9.5*D Project X HZRDUS 6.5 75g
Cobra Bio Cell + 14.5* Fuji Speeder 757x
CobraBio Cell + 17.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 70x
Adams CMB 4-G KBS C-Taper X
Vokey TVD54*

SM? 58*K
Scotty Circa 62 #3 /Kingston GSS KP2
ProV1 / Snell MTB / Snell MTB Prime

On my flight back home now --- I'll put together some photos and reflect a little better on my experience late today ...

Not there is anything to compare the WRX Gear Trial experience to, but just talking to the other members who were also fortunate enough to attend/participate : we couldn't believe how smooth this was run/organized

My miss being low heel, the M1 and GBB were best because Nate could configure weights towards the heel - not because I needed draw, more so to put some mass behind that miss to optimize ball speeds on misses - IT WAS SO MUCH FUN!!

Enjoy your Sunday fellas - As many others have mentioned, if you have any questions / comments PLEASE feel free to fire away ...

Detroit Rock City was a blast!!!

Being able to adjust the weights on the M1 was another big part of how Sean got me dialed in so well. Great point that I had forgotten

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

I thought it looked really nice, felt good, and it seemed very forgiving. It spun too much for me, though.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

This sounds like it was an absolutely amazing experience, not only from a technical club fitting angle, but also from a personal and networking standpoint. In the modern age where we communicate via email, text, or phone, there is no substitute for meeting face to face, shaking hands, and truly getting to know someone in real life. That's where the rubber hits the road!

Miles of Golf looks incredibly cool! Keep up the good work WRX! Can't wait to read the rest of the write-up! :)

Amazing day, as most have said. My finalists came down to:

XR16 Pro - Rogue Silver 60x

Ping G LS - DI-7x

Cobra Ltd - HZRDUS Black 75 6.5

Winner was easily the Cobra. Offered the best combo of distance and dispersion. Was really shocked that shaft worked so well for me!!

Any chance you tried the Yellow in the LTD head? Wondering how the Yellow compared to the Black in the same head.

Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
Cobra King Forged Tour - 5-PW - DG 105
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50/54/58 - DG 115
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

This sounds like it was an absolutely amazing experience, not only from a technical club fitting angle, but also from a personal and networking standpoint. In the modern age where we communicate via email, text, or phone, there is no substitute for meeting face to face, shaking hands, and truly getting to know someone in real life. That's where the rubber hits the road!

Miles of Golf looks incredibly cool! Keep up the good work WRX! Can't wait to read the rest of the write-up! :)

It was a great time being with a bunch of golf nuts in golf heaven. We were all nerding out like crazy it was so much fun

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]

I finally have a chance to sit down and look back at yesterdays unbelievable experience. This really was one of the best golf days you could possibly have. As many others have stated, everything was top notch and ran as efficiently as possible. The GolfWRX and Miles of Golf staff were awesome and kept us on schedule. I was a little concerned that I wouldn't be able to hold up to all of the swings but it really wasn't that bad. I am pretty sore today but that's to be expected. The final three drivers for me were:

Taylor Made M1 with a GD MT 6x

Titleist 915 D3 with Diamana S+ 50x

Callaway 816 DBD with a Kuro Kage 50x

The M1 was the winner with the DBD coming in a close second. I was able to hit my Miyazaki Kusala White shaft in the M1 head and the numbers were extremely similar to the numbers I got with the MT shaft. My swing was pretty efficient yesterday so I really feel good about the results that I ended up with.

Being able to hit a plethora of driver and shaft combinations was awesome but the best part of the day was just hanging out with other golf gear heads. I thought my down time would be spent shopping and putting or messing around on my phone. This was not the case at all. It was so much fun watching everyone hit drivers and seeing what combos worked for them. There was also lots off cheering and yelling ("Cobra Time!!!"), and movie quotes, ("if you don't chew Big Red...."), being thrown around. I have met a number of good people through this site and a few of them have gone from "guys from a website" to friends. I met even more awesome people yesterday that I look forward to playing some golf with and getting to know better.

I just want to thank everyone at MIles of Golf for letting us use your top notch facility. The staff was great all day, especially my fitter Nate. I also want to thank the GolfWRX staff again for choosing me to be part of the 2016 Gear Trials. I hope that the information we gathered will help other WRX'ers in choosing a driver.

Ping G425 10.5 Graphite Design Tour AD-TP 65x
Ping G425 5 and 7 woods with Aldila Rogue 80s
Ping G525 4 iron Project X LZ 6.5
Ping i210 5-PW Project X LZ 6.5
Ping Glide 3 50 DG S400

Vokey 54s and 58m with DG S400
Artisan Golf 0217 

^ He is being modest. This guy had a 1.51 or better smash on nearly every swing regardless of the set-up in his hands. He was able to eliminate stuff with confidence, because his swing was very repeatable and efficient. (I hate him :))

Kidding aside, ANOTHER fantastic WRX'er right here^^^^^^

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke MAX 10.5*  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T24 RAW 52/58 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

I'm sure this is planned, but it would be cool to see a full list of what everyone ended up with.

Glad the day was a success!

Ohh absolutely. There was 15 testers and there were also all of their gamers they tested along side of the 29 heads. We will be publishing everything. Full medal counts, each metal winners numbers and a deep dive how and why for each tester.

We have captured all the Trackman data for each of the 15 testers final 3 drivers they took into the final shootout. In that shootout they picked 1st, 2nd and third.

You did it right this year, congrats my friend.

Everyone who participated thank you for the feedback and write ups. Can't wait to see the final breakdown it looks like Cobra stepped up big time!

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

For all of you asking about Cobra, here is a little more info:

I think I was one of the few, if any, that hit three of the the four new Cobra offerings. I tested LTD, F6 and F6+. FYI - I'm a Cobra fan, one of my all time favorite drivers is Bio Cell+.

LTD - I really wanted to like this one. Liked the looks, feel was average at best, but it only came to life for the high speed boys (105mph+). I top out at 100mph, so LTD was eliminated quickly.

F6+ - I had high hopes here, as a lover of BC+. Looked ok, sounded BAD and results were nothing to talk about. She gown.....

F6 - This beast made it to my final three. Look like F6+, but sounded MUCH better. Solid consistency, but do to the fact that we simply couldn't get the spin down with weight adjustment or shaft chances, F6 was the first one to get tossed out of final elimination round.

Anyone one looking for more details about Cobra or any other drivers, PLEASE fire away!! I look forward to sharing all that I can about yesterdays WRX Dream Come True!!

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

Dang, looks like I needed to wait a few more days before selling my King LTD. Cobra is going to be selling a few of these based on the early exit polls.

Why did you sell it? What are you hitting better?

After seeing the performance I can get out of it I am super close to getting one since I already have an M1

Dang, looks like I needed to wait a few more days before selling my King LTD. Cobra is going to be selling a few of these based on the early exit polls.

After seeing the performance I can get out of it I am super close to getting one since I already have an M1

I might have a buyer for your M1 combo.. ;)

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke MAX 10.5*  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T24 RAW 52/58 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

I might have a buyer for your M1 combo.. ;)

I gotta scoop an ADDI 7x and then the Fuji Pro blue will be headed to the blizzards of Minny

Ping G LS - DI-7x

Winner was easily the Cobra. Offered the best combo of distance and dispersion. Was really shocked that shaft worked so well for me!!

Any chance you tried the Yellow in the LTD head? Wondering how the Yellow compared to the Black in the same head.

I didn't hit the Yellow, but the fitter was telling me I needed to heavy and butt stiff. I think it was the nice way of telling me that I DO NOT have a smooth tempo!! The Black 75 X worked best but I would be willing to bet the Yellow 75 6.5 would be good as well since I was having some decent success with counterbalanced shafts. FWIW my SS was higher than I thought and that is part of the reason for the heavier shafts.

CJPSignatureV3.png.c58dade69e39827f99ae02c309fb82e2.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify | YouTube

Ping G LS - DI-7x

I didn't hit the Yellow, but the fitter was telling me I needed to heavy and butt stiff. I think it was the nice way of telling me that I DO NOT have a smooth tempo!! The Black 75 X worked best but I would be willing to bet the Yellow 75 6.5 would be good as well since I was having some decent success with counterbalanced shafts. FWIW my SS was higher than I thought and that is part of the reason for the heavier shafts.

It's the beard! SS=Beard