2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Thrift Store Jackpot

1 hour ago, radiman said:

My kids love thrifting.  We have plenty of thrift stores here.  But, not a lot of selection and I have yet to find any golf gold in them.  We were in the Minneapolis area over the weekend and I found out that there is such a thing as Goodwill outlet locations?  Basically a more public version of storage wars lol.  Was pure chaos.  But, there I stood, just hoping to find something golf related.  We had to wait behind a line as they restocked one of the isles with blue plastic bins full of used hopes and dreams.  I saw a chrome clubhead in the bin on the other side of where I was.  I had to get over and see what it was.  If I could fight the crowd I stood a chance.  

They finished putting the bins out and everyone had the go ahead to start tearing through all of the random odds and ends.  Just piles and piles of broken electronics, toys, and random sporting goods. My 16 and 13 year old daughters were into it.  They were savages out there just reaching for whatever they grab.  I went around to see if I could wedge my shoulder between a couple of people and see what golf goodie was hiding under all of the debris.  

I reached my arm in, grabbed around a bundle of steel shafts, and just lifted.  Out came a set of irons.  No idea what they were or if it was complete.  They were all over the place.  I took the set aside and went through them to ensure I didn't leave anything behind.  They were MacGregor 1025M VIP Tourney blades.  In decent condition.  2-PW with S300 shafts.  Apparently you pay by the weight at a place like this so I thought I would be spending $20 or so.  I go to checkout and the nice lady said that clubs are $1 a piece.  But since I had a set, they'd sell them all for $5.  

image.jpeg.d43b1881d0bda5ac9d6b506f5687b937.jpeg

Nice haul!!! If this is from the GW Brooklyn Park Mn location I’ve been in there and closest I’ve seen to anything golf wise was maybe 1 golf shoe. Your chaos description is so dead on. It’s depressing to me a bit. See a lot of people that in all reality rely on the place. 

My job brings me to a cold food storage place directly behind there and I’ll occasionally walk on over when I’m being loaded. Never have found a thing so I usually don’t bother. Have always wondered when they bring the tubs out. Must be pretty random. I bet it’s like the old Black Friday rush in at opening time every day. 

Peering through the doors into the back area where everything is coming from actually looks exciting. Getting access to that would be fun. 

2 hours ago, bcstones said:

I see "V-Foil" in the pic....wasn't that in the Golfsmith era, which doesn't mean anythging about playability. Congrats on a great deal

2 hours ago, Arafel said:

No, those are from 1999 or so. I've owned several sets in the last twenty years. I've always really liked them.

The 1025 v foil irons were 2002 or so.  The Golfsmith era of MacGregor started in 2009, that's when the acquisition occurred. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 9.5*, 43.5", NV75X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80X, 43.25"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

5 hours ago, ezgoer said:

Nice haul!!! If this is from the GW Brooklyn Park Mn location I’ve been in there and closest I’ve seen to anything golf wise was maybe 1 golf shoe. Your chaos description is so dead on. It’s depressing to me a bit. See a lot of people that in all reality rely on the place. 

My job brings me to a cold food storage place directly behind there and I’ll occasionally walk on over when I’m being loaded. Never have found a thing so I usually don’t bother. Have always wondered when they bring the tubs out. Must be pretty random. I bet it’s like the old Black Friday rush in at opening time every day. 

Peering through the doors into the back area where everything is coming from actually looks exciting. Getting access to that would be fun. 

That’s exactly where! Pure and absolute chaos. lots and lots of flippers. 

I was just mostly watching over my kids to make sure they didn’t lose a limb in one of the bins lol. 

image.jpeg.ac1168e2277ba4fb75eb887a45c20863.jpeg

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

1 hour ago, NRJyzr said:

The 1025 v foil irons were 2002 or so.  The Golfsmith era of MacGregor started in 2009, that's when the acquisition occurred. 

Crazy. They’re not nearly as old as I would have guessed by the size and the diamonds on the face and ferrule. 

i did a little digging on them today. 48° pw. I may take them out on the course. At the very least hit them in the sim for s&g’s. 

• Like 3

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

That reminds me, maybe Ill give my Heavenwood a spin tonight. Have not hit it outside yet 

• Like 1

Woods: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Spoon, TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood

Irons: Ping Zings 2 -5 , Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 6 to 8

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05) ,1969 Fluid Feel PW (52 degrees)  ,  Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  Wilson Sandy Andy (57 degrees)

Putter: Ping Pal or Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman Blade. 

-

Ball:  high number Pro V1's

-

Other sets include:  1972 Wilson X31's 2 to PW , Hogan Redline's 1988  4 to E (no 7), 1988 Jack Nicklaus Super Eye-O-Matic (EOM) Persimmons

52 minutes ago, PixlPutterman said:

4-PW with R flex graphite - $20

20240420_191141.jpg

Call the police, robbery in progress! Im also a green dot type 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05) ,1969 Fluid Feel PW (52 degrees)  ,  Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  Wilson Sandy Andy (57 degrees)

-

-

Other sets include:  1972 Wilson X31's 2 to PW , Hogan Redline's 1988  4 to E (no 7), 1988 Jack Nicklaus Super Eye-O-Matic (EOM) Persimmons

15 hours ago, PixlPutterman said:

4-PW with R flex graphite - $20

20240420_191141.jpg

Awesome find and lefty’s even. Gotta be doubly, even triple more rare. I have always loved and wanted those I10 irons. The I10 driver and fairway woods is still a pretty damn good club especially for the prices they can be had for nowadays. 

• Like 1

On 4/22/2024 at 1:41 PM, radiman said:

My kids love thrifting.  We have plenty of thrift stores here.  But, not a lot of selection and I have yet to find any golf gold in them.  We were in the Minneapolis area over the weekend and I found out that there is such a thing as Goodwill outlet locations?  Basically a more public version of storage wars lol.  Was pure chaos.  But, there I stood, just hoping to find something golf related.  We had to wait behind a line as they restocked one of the isles with blue plastic bins full of used hopes and dreams.  I saw a chrome clubhead in the bin on the other side of where I was.  I had to get over and see what it was.  If I could fight the crowd I stood a chance.  

They finished putting the bins out and everyone had the go ahead to start tearing through all of the random odds and ends.  Just piles and piles of broken electronics, toys, and random sporting goods. My 16 and 13 year old daughters were into it.  They were savages out there just reaching for whatever they grab.  I went around to see if I could wedge my shoulder between a couple of people and see what golf goodie was hiding under all of the debris.  

I reached my arm in, grabbed around a bundle of steel shafts, and just lifted.  Out came a set of irons.  No idea what they were or if it was complete.  They were all over the place.  I took the set aside and went through them to ensure I didn't leave anything behind.  They were MacGregor 1025M VIP Tourney blades.  In decent condition.  2-PW with S300 shafts.  Apparently you pay by the weight at a place like this so I thought I would be spending $20 or so.  I go to checkout and the nice lady said that clubs are $1 a piece.  But since I had a set, they'd sell them all for $5.  

image.jpeg.d43b1881d0bda5ac9d6b506f5687b937.jpeg

I got that exact same set out of a MN Goodwill probably.....15 years ago? No lie. I couldn't really get comfortable with them though so I threw them on eBay. 

I have the 1025Cs as my main set and they are still my favorite irons of all time. 

On 4/22/2024 at 5:22 PM, bcstones said:

I see "V-Foil" in the pic....wasn't that in the Golfsmith era, which doesn't mean anythging about playability. Congrats on a great deal

No. Aaron Baddeley had these exact irons in his bag on Tour. I remember a quote for him saying "they are the best irons ever" or something to that effect. Phenomenal irons even to this day. 

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

Scored a Razr Hawk Tour driver today. Something was telling me I needed to get to my local, probly because I saw the last page here haha.

Probly would have left it there but it checked off enough boxes for me: 8.5*, RIP Stiff, pretty decent condition. $14.99 was fair enough. I'll throw it in one of my backup bags most likely. 

17140819845445541095644179565381.jpg.94a229668e62fbd98f8ea7bc4db9f975.jpg

• Like 3

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

4 hours ago, golfluvzme said:

I have to ask, what grip is on this little gem?  I cannot tell you how many times a grip has put me over the top on deciding whether to buy or not.

LaMont in AZ

The grip was toast. I've found some nice cord-ish grips on Temu (Sniper grips) that cost peanuts too, that I have been putting on the lower grade ones I have bought. 

Tour block, im assuming 80s?. Loft ideas? 19ish or less 

image.png.032bc17f7db304c2798a189af66e391a.png

• Like 1

-

-

1 hour ago, Maine Golfer said:

Tour block, im assuming 80s?. Loft ideas? 19ish or less 

image.png.032bc17f7db304c2798a189af66e391a.png

Not sure when the STAFF II started but my 76 set came with them and is pictured with them in the Kaplan books. There also was a 5 wood in the set so unsure if we are talking 4 degree increments or if these were actually halfway in between 3 & 5?? Haven’t seen a 2 wood yet.

• Like 1

So far, zero luck finding anything worthwhile in thrift shops around here-L.A. area over several years. I have found some nice deals at Play It Again Sports locations here, including a really clean TM #3 Rescue hybrid for $10.00 last week and my wife's almost new Tour Edge cart bag that I posted pictures of a few weeks ago. 

Is there anyone on here from SoCal that can recommend some shops where they have found some good deals? 

• Like 1

Ping ISI irons 6-PW
Ping J-Blade putter
Titleist 910D2 driver,
TM Jetspeed 3W & 5W

TM Rescue Hybrid 23*
Ping Rapture 21* Hybrid
Ping Eye 2+ SW, Hogan Special PW

57 minutes ago, Wesley-B96 said:

Just picked this whole set up at goodwill for $12. There was no way I was leaving them 🤣

Tmade.jpg

Bag too?  Screaming deal either way.

• Like 3

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver Aerotech Ti-Fiber Tour 70 stiff

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 & 7 woods Aerotech Ti-Fiber Tour 70 stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid Kai-Li 95x 

Srixon ZX-7 4/5 irons KBS $-taper 120

Srixon Z-Forged II 6-PW KBS $-taper 120

Cleveland ZipCore RTX Tour Raw 52/56

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO lightweight caddy cart bag on MGI Zip AT

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Don_S said:

Old Wilson Julius Boros putter for $4.99 at Goodwill. Any idea what era this is from? Not sure what the head is made of. Maybe brass? Bronze? Beryllium Copper? Think the shaft is aluminum. Haven't taken it to the putting green yet but the weight feels great.

IMG_1075.JPG

IMG_1076.JPG

I own one. Pretty sure 60s store line. Mime as the original grip, 36 inch. 

• Like 1

-

-

Posted (edited)

A goodwill i go too started making pairs!!   

8802 and a patty berg 9 iron $4.39. (Leather grip w silver thread)

mizuno 14 degree driving iron.  W a macGregor p610 putter $5.99

whoosh trainer. $4.50….

feeling fortunate!

IMG_8507.jpeg

IMG_8508.jpeg

IMG_8509.jpeg

IMG_8510.jpeg

Edited by weavej1
  • Like 3

Wishon 10.5 919 driver pure grip
Pure fit Raw ID 4 wood star side winder
Ping rapture 21 degree gripmaster wrap
4-pw Maltby dbm with aerotech regular gripmaster wraps
50;53;58 Maltby m wedges w matrix kujoh w brown perf gripmaster wraps
ray cook gyro w ust filter shaft gripmaster 
Ping moonlite bag

28 minutes ago, weavej1 said:

A goodwill i go too started making pairs!!   

8802 and a patty berg 9 iron $4.39. (Leather grip w silver thread)

mizuno 14 degree driving iron.  W a macGregor p610 putter $5.99

whoosh trainer. $4.50….

feeling fortunate!

IMG_8507.jpeg

IMG_8508.jpeg

IMG_8509.jpeg

IMG_8510.jpeg

Can you post a better picture of the shaft label on the 8802? $4.39 for a leather gripped 8802 would make most Wilson guys day anyways but you could have hit it really big

• Like 1