Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4i Project X Catalyst 80
Cobra F6 Baffler Rogue Black 70
Ping Glide 2.0  Stealth 50, 54, 58 SS
Kenny Giannini G6

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think for the most part employers are becoming more cognizant that work/life balance is good for productivity. There are some major companies in my area that give half days off fridays in the summer, one of my friend's companies is very lax with leaving early if work is done etc...Its kind of a new age thing to be a bit less strict and look for independently motivated people. There will always be people who abuse it, but frankly those people will find a way to exploit any system

But there are still bosses and companies out there that subscribe to "old school" methods like judging people only on how many hours they clock in, or who believe that if someone doesn't wear a tie they can't be taken seriously, or that compliments should never be given, goals should be set to be unattainable so people are never satisfied etc...

Someone who says "no golfers allowed because i want people focused 24/7" is a dinosaur and a relic of the Glengarry Glen Ross mentality. These people are generally hated, have high turnover and their flame burns out fairly quickly....unless they are such a genius that they succeed due to that alone

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I think for the most part employers are becoming more cognizant that work/life balance is good for productivity. There are some major companies in my area that give half days off fridays in the summer, one of my friend's companies is very lax with leaving early if work is done etc...Its kind of a new age thing to be a bit less strict and look for independently motivated people. There will always be people who abuse it, but frankly those people will find a way to exploit any system

But there are still bosses and companies out there that subscribe to "old school" methods like judging people only on how many hours they clock in, or who believe that if someone doesn't wear a tie they can't be taken seriously, or that compliments should never be given, goals should be set to be unattainable so people are never satisfied etc...

Someone who says "no golfers allowed because i want people focused 24/7" is a dinosaur and a relic of the Glengarry Glen Ross mentality. These people are generally hated, have high turnover and their flame burns out fairly quickly....unless they are such a genius that they succeed due to that alone

Great assessment. My ex-employer got very adversarial with employees who were older and more expensive. One would disappear like every other month for the last 3 years. Then finally came my turn. Packed up my cubicle humiliated under supervision but then was recruited by a great company, so it turned out to be the best thing that could have happened to me. Yay! F!ck you Battelle! Yes, that is Battelle, a supposedly world class independent R&D organization. They have become the very opposite, hiring 22yr olds, hoping that they can fill the knowledge gaps on physics, chemistry, and engineering formerly filled by experienced knowledgeable scientists, so upper management and the board can hold on to their multiple vacation villas and private jets. It is money grabbing at a very obvious and almost pitiful level.

I once took a course on how to suck up to your boss. Coles notes are if they are under 40 you better prove your worth with sales numbers, new leads, etc as they care more about results then time logged. If they are over 50 don't worry to much about your numbers(still hit above the minimum obviously) but make sure you send them the odd email, text, phone call well after work hours as they care more about time logged then actual results.

Josh... your not gonna get far in sports world especially professional by discounting the value of spending time on a course with peers talking about what motivate s you. ...just ask Michael Jordan.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

I once took a course on how to suck up to your boss. Coles notes are if they are under 40 you better prove your worth with sales numbers, new leads, etc as they care more about results then time logged. If they are over 50 don't worry to much about your numbers(still hit above the minimum obviously) but make sure you send them the odd email, text, phone call well after work hours as they care more about time logged then actual results.

I have had a boss tell me that my team must not be working hard enough because they look happy. No joke, the simple fact that they liked their job meant they weren't working hard enough. He was not kidding

Earlier in my career i was also told by someone higher up that in order to get promoted i should stay at my desk until 7pm for about 6 months. Long enough for people to notice the long hours i was putting in. Whether i was actually working was irrelevant. He said just sit there and do nothing, but be there.

Anyway, if you work for enough big companies there are bad bosses that slip through. I have been fortunate to have some great bosses, and to work for a company whose top management i very much respect. So i won't complain....but along the way you always have to deal with some bad ones

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

It goes without saying, babies are a real deal killer - diapers, night feedings and hugs can waste more than five hours of a weekend. Not to worry, marriage is grounds for dismissal - planning the wedding can take an entire week, the wedding and reception takes a whole day and who concentrates on their job on a honeymoon? Plants. Plants are good. You get yourself a cactus, you got a job.

Honma Beres 10.5*
Jones/Ortiz 4 wood 17*
Adams Idea Black CB2 irons 26, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45*
Callaway MD3 S grind 52, 56, C grind 60, PM grind 64*
Tom Slighter Custom Needle 450g, 3* loft, 74* lie (2006)
Tom Slighter Needle 360g, 4* loft, 72* lie (2012, backup)

As a fellow UA guy, I wish we would have created human cloning. So he could go f*** himself.

12.0 @ 11.25 Titleist 915D2 | Diamana M+ 50
16.5 @ 17.25 Titleist TSI2 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60

23.0 @ 22.25 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60
7H 29.0 @ 28.0 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 80HYB
6-P Titleist T100 | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue AM2
50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, 62.08M Titleist Vokey SM8 | Nippon 850GH
Scotty Cameron SS Newport 1.5
Taylormade TP5

I have had a boss tell me that my team must not be working hard enough because they look happy. No joke, the simple fact that they liked their job meant they weren't working hard enough. He was not kidding

Earlier in my career i was also told by someone higher up that in order to get promoted i should stay at my desk until 7pm for about 6 months. Long enough for people to notice the long hours i was putting in. Whether i was actually working was irrelevant. He said just sit there and do nothing, but be there.

Anyway, if you work for enough big companies there are bad bosses that slip through. I have been fortunate to have some great bosses, and to work for a company whose top management i very much respect. So i won't complain....but along the way you always have to deal with some bad ones

And I love getting what I need done in the hours needed, and feel sorry for the guy that has to take 10 hours to do what I can do in 7... but, he stays late so has to be a better fit for the company? He's so dedicated? Screw that noise. If I have to work late because the **** has to get done, make no mistake, I'm there busting it. But I'm not going to put in extra hours on nothing productive for the company. I find those same people that take those extra hours to do something, are the very same people that "network" around a lot during the day around others cubes talking about the game, or weather, or wives/husbands.

Metrics. Ugh.

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

Better than an interview with arpeggi.

"You have a small tattoo on your right ankle dedicated to your late mother? You're scum of the earth and let God have mercy on your soul."

Titleist 907 D2 w/ V2 67
TM RBZ Stage 2 5W HL 21*
Mizuno MP63 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM4 52 & 58
Odyssey Tour Fill 2 Ball
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1120495-commerce-tigers-odd-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

He's a dick.....

Next

Fairways & Greens My Friends,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I just wonder what you can possibly do to make your basketball team better working 24x7. There's only so much game tape to watch, only so many guys to recruit, and limited hours on the athletes being in the facilities......

My roomie/teammate coached under Saban his one year at Toledo and then Saban took the DC job with the Brownies. My Bud stayed at Toledo but Saban called him when he took the Michigan St job and my bud jumped on it as OL coach(he was an OT in college and 2+ seasons in the NFL).

So my Friend golfed and Saban knew it and was ok with it when he was at Toledo but told him not to bring the sticks to East Lansing as this was not the MAC Conference(where we and he Played, lol) and now they were "Playing for Keeps."

Saban is a workohaulic Freak, lmao-

My Bud is as intense as they come and he'd call me at like 8-9pm and fall asleep on the phone cuz he'd been up for 24-36 hours in the complex going through game films and also HS prospects' films-

IN FRICKIN APRIL!!!

LMAO

Dave got married while he was at Michigan State and Saban wanted him to go to LSU with him and Dave wanted to go but had to talk his wife into it as she was a Mich State Girl with family there plus she never frickin saw Dave, lol

Saban told him the chartered plane was leaving in two days at like 8:30am and if he wanted the position to be on that flight-

He called me that night and told me and I said "WTF are you gonna do" cuz I said "get your big a**(He's 6'4, 270) on the plane," lol

I called his house two mornings later at about 9:30am expecting to have Diane answer the phone and he answered all groggy cuz I'd woke him, LMAO

I had my answer, LMAO

Some people are just over the edge-

Have a nice weekend Gents :)

My Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

About a month ago one of my competitors in business stopped by my office to chat about a potential sale of his business as he's now in his mid 70s and getting ready to hang it up and travel. We've had our ups and downs over the years but generally get along. He's been successful and is strongly opinionated about most everything.

The subject of another guy in our business came up and he's a generation younger than me. Out the blue this guys says "He'll go broke. I've never seen anyone who was a good golfer turn out to be worth a &@?% because it takes so much time to be good at golf that he won't work hard enough".

As with many things this older gentleman says...I was slightly offended.

The real problem I have is that if I look back over the last 20 years and correlate my handicap with my tax returns I find out that the time periods when my handicap is the highest are the same time periods that I make the most money.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

What an entitled *****

I always took "entitled" to mean someone that was silver spoon feed early in life and hence developed the attitude that they were "owed(entitled)" to whatever it was in life that they may want and desire and drive, grinding, focus and discipline are foreign to them.

If anything, and if it is true that as a college athlete this guy completed his undergrad in 2 1/2 years, and having been a college athlete myself, that is infriggincredible, while also taking 30+ hours his last semester, double the normal course load, then took his masters before his eligibility was up, well, agree with him or not, this is one tough, focused driven son of a b****, lol.

That's just my .01 on entitled and this coach :)

Stay well my Friend :)

All the Best,

Richard

There are a lot of people who are very tough and focused, who drive themselves ridiculously hard....but they never understand how to build a business or a program. Someone with an extremely high level of intelligence and innovation can succeed in spite of his poor personal skills (Steve Jobs i believe is an example of this but i'm not an expert on him)....but in many cases, these types of personalities are never able to inspire others to work with them because of how rigid and demanding they are.

If you are a business owner (or a head coach making better bucks then the assistants), and you want to put in 24/7 hours that's one thing. But when you expect your staff to do that too with less perks and no security, they leave. For all the crazy driven , all job all the time entrepreneurs that get glorified in the media, there's 1000x as many who have failed miserably because no one will work for them, whom we've never heard of. This is called survivor bias and it's very prevalent in the media, and their glorification of "driven" jerks

Deschamps Crisp Antique