2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

$37.28 to PARK at the Players Championship on Saturday

DaddySwagMaster

you paid $25 apiece for the tickets. Pretend you paid $43.50 a ticket which is still a discount of over 10% and got free parking to boot. Problem solved.

Factor in a hotel room of $81 for Friday night so I don't have to get up at 5:00 am to make the drive, and it's a bit more.

Just discussed this with the wife, and am taking the advice of some here and cancelled my hotel reservation, and am going to spend my money somewhere else. I'm not a big fan of large crowds anyway. I about came to blows with another driver during my 2 1/2 hour wait to get into the Players on Saturday last year. Tim Finchem never responded to my letter I mailed him complaining about the parking situation, so I guess he doesn't care to fix the problem.

There are far too many entertainment options out there to justify paying the PGA Tour any of my hard earned money.

LOL

"About came to blows with another driver during my 2 1/1 hour wait to get into the Players on Saturday last year"

You dont sound like a person who enjoys much in life, do you? Its a golf tournament. A professional sporting event. Something that is supposed to provide entertainment value, not do something like provide a monetary value return of investment. You make it sound like the PGA Tour should be paying YOU for you even thinking about making your presence at TPC Sawgrass, because your time is just too damn valuable and important.

Geez.

Thanks for attacking me blindly and judging me based on a few posts on a golf forum. Not that you deserve an explanation, but I lost my 15 year old son to suicide two years ago. I've been deeply depressed ever since. I came back to playing golf as a way to escape my depression and real life. The wife was actually the one wanting to go to the Players, because she likes Rory McIlroy, but again, after discussing it further with her, she and I both agree it's just not worth the aggravation.

And as an aside, when you are sitting (parked) on A1A for 2 1/2 hours, and you wait patiently in the right lane, obeying the rules for 90 minutes, and then all of a sudden some asshat decides he can't wait in line and decides that the 2 inches between your car and the car in front of you is where he decides to cut into line at, then yeah, I've got a problem with you. If I can wait the 90 minutes to get this far, then so can you. It's because of asshats like him that it takes 2 1/2 hours to get into the parking lot. And the sheriffs deputy sitting across the street did nothing to deter line cutters from doing what they did. I'm actually surprised more people didn't come to blows or accidents because of the clusterjerk that this mess was getting into parking.

But why don't you refrain from blindly judging others because you don't know crap about my life or my situation. Walk a mile in my shoes before you just go off and label me ignorantly.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So don't go?

GOLFWRX is getting full of people posting crap instead of participating in the forum. The OP has a legitimate gripe...32 bucks and really poor parking facilities are nothing but a money grab. Nothing screams stupid more than posting *so don't go".

Whole heatedly agree with this. Waaaaaay to much of that going on these days.

"Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones

Thanks for attacking me blindly and judging me based on a few posts on a golf forum. Not that you deserve an explanation, but I lost my 15 year old son to suicide two years ago. I've been deeply depressed ever since. I came back to playing golf as a way to escape my depression and real life. The wife was actually the one wanting to go to the Players, because she likes Rory McIlroy, but again, after discussing it further with her, she and I both agree it's just not worth the aggravation.

And as an aside, when you are sitting (parked) on A1A for 2 1/2 hours, and you wait patiently in the right lane, obeying the rules for 90 minutes, and then all of a sudden some asshat decides he can't wait in line and decides that the 2 inches between your car and the car in front of you is where he decides to cut into line at, then yeah, I've got a problem with you. If I can wait the 90 minutes to get this far, then so can you. It's because of asshats like him that it takes 2 1/2 hours to get into the parking lot. And the sheriffs deputy sitting across the street did nothing to deter line cutters from doing what they did. I'm actually surprised more people didn't come to blows or accidents because of the clusterjerk that this mess was getting into parking.

But why don't you refrain from blindly judging others because you don't know crap about my life or my situation. Walk a mile in my shoes before you just go off and label me ignorantly.

I'm going to gently suggest that an Internet forum at this time likely isn't a healthy place for you. As I said in a previous post, I'm sorry about the loss of your son. Sorry, also, about your subsequent & understandable depression, and I hope you're seeking help with that. If so, any counselor worth his or her salt will likely agree that randomly posting online and engaging with people who, no, don't know you or your life circumstances, is a great way to feed your anxiety and upset. Again, all the best to you.

~ Colleen

And I thought paying £10 at The Open was extortion. Greed.com

The whining and hand-wringing over first-world problems is bemusing. Good grief: anyone fortunate enough to attend a major sporting event is already in a solidly decent position, comparatively speaking. While $37 for parking may at first pale sound like a tidy sum, step back and consider the big picture with regard to this event. It offes a very generous family plan, whereby anyone under age 18 attends free with a ticketed adult. Military discounts are significant, and military appreciation day is notable. Parking is free earlier in the week. Carpooling is encouraged and allows for a free parking pass. So for heck's sake, if a couple of people choose to fork over $37 for parking because they "have no other choice" ~ honestly. Get over it.

If it bothers you that much that people choose to complain about something that they see as unfair, then take your own advice and get over it as well.

And I did the math on the revenue generated by the PGA Tour for this one event last year for the entire week. Based on average ticket sales and parking alone, the PGA Tour more than tripled the cost of the purse outlay just in that alone. I can't even imagine what they rake in off of corporate tents, merchandise sales and liquor served, just on Saturday alone.

I figure when all is said and done, that the PGA Tour is generating between $30 and $40 million just on this one event every year. That doesn't include TV revenue either. It starts to make that $10 million purse look small honestly.

It also justifies my complaint about the cost of parking. Here is an already wealthy "non-profit" organization, that doesn't need the parking revenue at all. Why not throw the public a bone, instead of being greedy. Sure, they can, but does it make it right? I think not.

Tim Finchem, you are one greedy, SOB! I would park somewhere off site and walk, but I'm going with my wife, and it's like 5 miles to the nearest ANYTHING from this golf course.

This may very well be my last PGA Tour event I go to because of this. Especially when you consider that The Masters has free parking for everyone, this is just pure, unadulterated GREED!!!

If you have four people in the car (with tickets) and go on line to download a coupon, you can park for free

Greg

GolfWRX.com
twitter @gdm43pga

You started the thread. Not me. Im just reacting to the type of stuff you're writing If you didnt want to be judged or labeled, you shouldnt have started a thread like this complaining about the price of a parking pass.

Im sorry for your family issues, but everyone has family issues. That doesnt give you the right or ability to say whatever you like without dissent.

If you've truly had a child commit suicide, and its caused you the mental anguish you describe, bitching about the cost of a parking pass should be the least of your worries. You should be worrying about trying to find the positives in every aspect of your life and family. And guess what? Sometimes those things cost money. Like I said, you have to weigh for yourself whether the experience of being with your wife at an event like this is worth the cost. If she wants to go to see Rory, maybe its worth your time and money to say, "You know what, I dont like that this parking pass costs $37, but I'll take you anyway because I want you to enjoy the experience." Im from Wisconsin, and tickets to the Green Bay Packers games at Lambeau are very costly on the secondary market. But because me and my wife are huge fans, we budget to take one weekend out of the year and go every season. This year, our 4-year old son will join us. Its expensive, we have to tighten our belts to go, but the experience of being with my family at an event like this doesnt have a cost to it. We enjoy ourselves and soak it all in and dont worry about cost or money, because we've taken the time to budget it into our life.

General admission tickets to the Players on a weekend is $65. You're getting in the door for $25. Stop bitching about how "greedy" Tim Finchem is when you have the ability to get a 60% discount on a ticket for a premier PGA Tour event. And if the parking pass bothers you, find two other people to go with you and park for free. You say you play golf...you tell me you dont know 2 guys at your local club who wouldnt want to tag along to The Players on a Saturday? Those are the positives in this situation to look at. Instead, you look at it in a completely negative and agitating way where it makes myself and others here think its awfully hard for you to enjoy anything in life.

You can replace money. You can't replace memories or experiences. If its important to you, go. If its not that important to you, and it appears not considering you've just said you're not going anyway, dont start a thread like this and complain that its somehow Tim Finchem's fault that you cant go.

free-parking.jpg

Don't even get me started on the increasing costs of "get out of jail free" cards

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

The whining and hand-wringing over first-world problems is bemusing. Good grief: anyone fortunate enough to attend a major sporting event is already in a solidly decent position, comparatively speaking. While $37 for parking may at first pale sound like a tidy sum, step back and consider the big picture with regard to this event. It offes a very generous family plan, whereby anyone under age 18 attends free with a ticketed adult. Military discounts are significant, and military appreciation day is notable. Parking is free earlier in the week. Carpooling is encouraged and allows for a free parking pass. So for heck's sake, if a couple of people choose to fork over $37 for parking because they "have no other choice" ~ honestly. Get over it.

If it bothers you that much that people choose to complain about something that they see as unfair, then take your own advice and get over it as well.

And I did the math on the revenue generated by the PGA Tour for this one event last year for the entire week. Based on average ticket sales and parking alone, the PGA Tour more than tripled the cost of the purse outlay just in that alone. I can't even imagine what they rake in off of corporate tents, merchandise sales and liquor served, just on Saturday alone.

I figure when all is said and done, that the PGA Tour is generating between $30 and $40 million just on this one event every year. That doesn't include TV revenue either. It starts to make that $10 million purse look small honestly.

It also justifies my complaint about the cost of parking. Here is an already wealthy "non-profit" organization, that doesn't need the parking revenue at all. Why not throw the public a bone, instead of being greedy. Sure, they can, but does it make it right? I think not.

Not sure how you could possibly come up with $30-40 million figure. Just under 200,000 attendance as best I could find is only going to tip the scales at $20 million tops. $10 million purse and $8.1 million donated to charities.

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

Not sure how you could possibly come up with $30-40 million figure. Just under 200,000 attendance as best I could find is only going to tip the scales at $20 million tops. $10 million purse and $8.1 million donated to charities.

The Players tournament alone has donated $75 million to charity since 1977.

Those greedy bastards.

I am all for making a profit, but gouging people? Not so much.

I mean a family of four can easily drop $400 to go to a Red Sox game. Ridiculous.

Same with Pebble Beach. $500 for a round of golf? That place could make plenty of money charging half that. Just because they can get it doesn't mean they should charge it. I think I also read they charge $90 for a dozen ProV1's.

As I said, I'm all for the capitalist system, and if people are willing to pay those prices than those prices will remain what they are. One of the things I like about the Masters is they could really make a lot more money on food/beverages, but they keep those prices reasonable. Props to them.

Sure, go out, make a buck and God Bless You! But, don't gouge your customers either.

Has the OP considered staying at a hotel close to the shuttle hotels downtown? Or even parking downtown near the shuttle hotels and not paying for a hotel room?

(I'm assuming parking in downtown Jacksonville is a far cry cheaper than Manhattan. I'm also assuming the shuttles might have their own dedicated lanes and can avoid the auto traffic into the parking areas so the OP could avoid a hotel stay)

Another option would be to find a public lot possibly near the beach and take a taxi or Uber. The TPC site says they have some kind of partnership with a cab co.

I mean a family of four can easily drop $400 to go to a Red Sox game. Ridiculous.

Same with Pebble Beach. $500 for a round of golf? That place could make plenty of money charging half that. Just because they can get it doesn't mean they should charge it. I think I also read they charge $90 for a dozen ProV1's.

As I said, I'm all for the capitalist system, and if people are willing to pay those prices than those prices will remain what they are. One of the things I like about the Masters is they could really make a lot more money on food/beverages, but they keep those prices reasonable. Props to them.

Sure, go out, make a buck and God Bless You! But, don't gouge your customers either.

Sean your being generous at 400 for family of four try about 600-800 lol

Has the OP considered staying at a hotel close to the shuttle hotels downtown? Or even parking downtown near the shuttle hotels and not paying for a hotel room?

(I'm assuming parking in downtown Jacksonville is a far cry cheaper than Manhattan. I'm also assuming the shuttles might have their own dedicated lanes and can avoid the auto traffic into the parking areas so the OP could avoid a hotel stay)

Another option would be to find a public lot possibly near the beach and take a taxi or Uber. The TPC site says they have some kind of partnership with a cab co.

^^^^^ meant this post, got to type faster^^^^

Is there not a McDonalds/Wal Mart/outlet mall parking lot the size of your average international space station within 10 minutes to dump your car in and get a cab?

Ping i20 9.5* Project X Black 6.0
Taylormade R15 15* Fujikura FUEL 70 S
Adams Pro Dhy 18* Aldila Tour Blue 80S
John Letters Tour Black Master Model 4-PW S300
John Letters Tour Black 52*,56*,60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Metal X Milled #1, 34.5"

you paid $25 apiece for the tickets. Pretend you paid $43.50 a ticket which is still a discount of over 10% and got free parking to boot. Problem solved.

Factor in a hotel room of $81 for Friday night so I don't have to get up at 5:00 am to make the drive, and it's a bit more.

Just discussed this with the wife, and am taking the advice of some here and cancelled my hotel reservation, and am going to spend my money somewhere else. I'm not a big fan of large crowds anyway. I about came to blows with another driver during my 2 1/2 hour wait to get into the Players on Saturday last year. Tim Finchem never responded to my letter I mailed him complaining about the parking situation, so I guess he doesn't care to fix the problem.

There are far too many entertainment options out there to justify paying the PGA Tour any of my hard earned money.

LOL

"About came to blows with another driver during my 2 1/1 hour wait to get into the Players on Saturday last year"

You dont sound like a person who enjoys much in life, do you? Its a golf tournament. A professional sporting event. Something that is supposed to provide entertainment value, not do something like provide a monetary value return of investment. You make it sound like the PGA Tour should be paying YOU for you even thinking about making your presence at TPC Sawgrass, because your time is just too damn valuable and important.

Geez.

I think you should strongly reconsider and go to the Players. It sounds like it's something your wife and you were genuinely interested in and after losing a family member in that way, it's best to continue to support one another. She'll say it's okay that you don't want to go, but in reality, it probably would mean alot to her if y'all went. Forget the greed of the parking and the stress of the drive and just go have a good weekend with your wife and relax.

XR16 Driver 9*
X2Hot 3 wood
X2 Hot 3 hybrid

Steelhead X-14 2 iron
X-22 irons 4-P
MD2 wedges 52/58*

Odyssey Backstryke Marxman

I hate the way all sports are ripping us off. They are no longer for the long time player or life long fan.

All the top courses charge far too much and tickets for events are ridiculously expensive. The food at them is also well over priced.

Football here in the UK is too expensive to go with your kids now yet the clubs are being paid millions by the tv companies which unfortunately goes straight to the players.

I do not play the top courses any more and have hardly been to an event for a number of years.

I just struggle to justify paying the prices these days.

TaylorMade M2 (2016) 9.5* (2* lower) HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5
TaylorMade M1 15* Tensei CK Pro White 80X or
Taylor Made tour issue M2 T3 Ozik Matrix 8M3 X

TaylorMade Rsi TP 3-PW (1.5* strong) NS-Pro MOdus 3 tour130 X
Callaway MD 3 48 bent to 50 KBS 610 S+
Callaway MD 3 52 bent to 54 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]
Callaway MD 2 58 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]

Odyssey 2-ball Pro-Type milled face putter.

Tour Preferred X or TP5x ball.

reason why i don't go to a dallas cowboys game, cheaper to watch it at home and relax than watch it on jerry's big screen. the beer and food is cheaper. though i can't see the cheerleaders, but i'm a cheap a**.

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

Lol. I paid $35 to park my car for less than 2 hours on Saturday night, went to a bar had a few $6 beers, and saw no sporting events. If you want to go where the action is, you've got to pay for it.

That said, the price of sporting events is completely absurd. Even the local minor league team is charging around $35 a ticket to go watch them play. Going to a NFL game with a family is around a $400-500 day now.

Yeah... Was just going to suggest to the op don't bother going to any pro sporting event here in Chicago. It's gotten pretty nuts in certain circumstances...

Actually, don't bother coming at all- the overnight parking at hotels is $65 and up.. :)

This is interesting on a couple levels. Mostly from the perspective of lack of understanding of economics and incentives. The OP was bitching about the parking situation last year and the limited parking area. So the event organizers do something about it to reduce congestion by offering shuttles from remote locations and encouraging car pooling by offering free parking for cars with at least 4 people and charging a premium for those choosing to not fill their car. Amusing that they are doing what the OP asked for and he's still angry about not getting a response.

Professional sports might be pricing themselves out of business some time. When the average Joe cannot afford to take his family to a game it is a problem.

I know many people still go but it feels like we are reaching a tipping point with player salaries and ticket prices and everything else.

What would happen if they held a Red Sox game and no one came? Like literally no one went.

Maybe teams really want everyone to stay home and watch on TV. And they keep jacking prices up until it happens.

Hmmmm.

If there is a hurricane and the price of gas triples, that's gouging. If the price of wood triples when there is a natural disaster coming, that's gouging. Hard to see golf and gouging in the same sentence.

If there is a hurricane and the price of gas triples, that's gouging. If the price of wood triples when there is a natural disaster coming, that's gouging. Hard to see golf and gouging in the same sentence.

I agree with you regarding golf. However, your other examples aren't really gouging either, just the rebalancing of supply and demand as the market changes. In fact, anti-gouging laws are very harmful to those in need. It would be much more effective to allow prices to rise, which would in turn encourage people from all over the country to load up with supplies to help the people in need.