2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

$37.28 to PARK at the Players Championship on Saturday

DaddySwagMaster

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do find it interesting that i see so much, in the caddy threads, aswell as others like this one, where so many Americans (and i am guessing middle class and above mostly) make comments about fair prices, sharing wealth with caddies etc....that sound downright....Canadian

I mean we are all smart enough to understand how supply and demand works right? Going to a sporting event is a ridiculous proposition for a middle income family these days. I have many friends who have young kids as a 34 year old, and none of them really take their kids to Habs game. Most people i know who go to games are either very wealthy or have access to corporate tickets. Other fans there are single people going with friends and sitting in the nosebleeds and paying for their own ticket. Family of 4 in decent seats with any kind of food and parking, you might aswell go to Cuba for a week

The live sports market is catering to corporations and the wealthy. I don't know if Golf is as bad as most pro sports, but it wouldn't shock me.

But if it makes you that unhappy....than get it over with and vote Bernie Sanders and than we are one step closer to merging countries (I've had my eye on Minnesota for a long time, those dudes sound just like us). It's not so bad. You will all love Tim Hortons

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I am all for making a profit, but gouging people? Not so much.

I mean a family of four can easily drop $400 to go to a Red Sox game. Ridiculous.

Same with Pebble Beach. $500 for a round of golf? That place could make plenty of money charging half that. Just because they can get it doesn't mean they should charge it. I think I also read they charge $90 for a dozen ProV1's.

As I said, I'm all for the capitalist system, and if people are willing to pay those prices than those prices will remain what they are. One of the things I like about the Masters is they could really make a lot more money on food/beverages, but they keep those prices reasonable. Props to them.

Sure, go out, make a buck and God Bless You! But, don't gouge your customers either.

If there is a hurricane and the price of gas triples, that's gouging. If the price of wood triples when there is a natural disaster coming, that's gouging. Hard to see golf and gouging in the same sentence.

I agree with you regarding golf. However, your other examples aren't really gouging either, just the rebalancing of supply and demand as the market changes. In fact, anti-gouging laws are very harmful to those in need. It would be much more effective to allow prices to rise, which would in turn encourage people from all over the country to load up with supplies to help the people in need.

I agree with you but didn't want to divert the thread to the subject of what is gouging and what is capitalism. Lots of things I want to buy but don't want to pay the piper.

I mean a family of four can easily drop $400 to go to a Red Sox game. Ridiculous.

Same with Pebble Beach. $500 for a round of golf? That place could make plenty of money charging half that. Just because they can get it doesn't mean they should charge it. I think I also read they charge $90 for a dozen ProV1's.

As I said, I'm all for the capitalist system, and if people are willing to pay those prices than those prices will remain what they are. One of the things I like about the Masters is they could really make a lot more money on food/beverages, but they keep those prices reasonable. Props to them.

Sure, go out, make a buck and God Bless You! But, don't gouge your customers either.

Sean your being generous at 400 for family of four try about 600-800 lol

Seriously CB? It's been awhile since I've been. :-)

If there is a hurricane and the price of gas triples, that's gouging. If the price of wood triples when there is a natural disaster coming, that's gouging. Hard to see golf and gouging in the same sentence.

You never heard of bomb and gouge? :-)

You never heard of bomb and gouge? :-)

Well played, sir. :)

25 x 2 plus 37 seems like a very reasonable price to pay to get into the players for 2 people. Thats less than 45 per person!

Maybe to decrease parking prices they should get rid of your military discount. But then you'd have a whole new thing to b**** about.

Seriously, bitching and moaning on an internet forum and then getting all fluffed up because others have a different point of view than you? OP you have some serious issues.

EF 10.5
EF 15
G425 19
P790 4-A
SM9 54, 58
Phantom X 5.5

The only thing off about it is the $0.28. Otherwise it's not out of the ordinary for a large event. I paid $75.00 to park at an LA concert last week and vastly more for Super Bowl.

Sorry, Super Bowl not the same as The Players. Tour Championship parks at Braves stadium FREE bus ride to East Lake...$38 bucks sucks...period.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

The only thing off about it is the $0.28. Otherwise it's not out of the ordinary for a large event. I paid $75.00 to park at an LA concert last week and vastly more for Super Bowl.

Sorry, Super Bowl not the same as The Players. Tour Championship parks at Braves stadium FREE bus ride to East Lake...$38 bucks sucks...period.

I was surprised there was not a free parking further away with a shuttle bus provided.

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

There's no such thing as gouging when it's an optional (and luxury) thing to buy.

It's a pretty simple system we live in. You create a product or service, you set a price, and others are free to pay for it or not. A completely voluntary system (until the powers at be tell you you have to buy something or sell something, then it gets all messed up).

There's no such thing as gouging when it's an optional (and luxury) thing to buy.

It's a pretty simple system we live in. You create a product or service, you set a price, and others are free to pay for it or not. A completely voluntary system (until the powers at be tell you you have to buy something or sell something, then it gets all messed up).

You are correct. If people are willing to pay the price, there are people willing to offer it. As I said, I'm all for making a buck, I just think over charging people is wrong, even if they are willing to pay that price. Strictly my opinion.

For example, I vaguely remember you could get parking for a Red Sox game for $20. When they were in the playoffs against the Yankees all of a sudden those $20 spots turned into, if I remember correctly, $60. Yes, people paid it...willingly. But, to me it was wrong to charge that kind of price.

Yes, make a profit, that's what capitalism is all about, but taking advantage of others is something else altogether different. To me good business should be a win-win-win: for the customer, for the vendor, for the employee.

If I was a billionaire I would never play Pebble Beach. It's the principle of the thing. $495? Sure they get it, and they are booked solid, but they could still make a tidy profit by charging less, a lot less. I'm not going to feed the greed.

You are correct. If people are willing to pay the price, there are people willing to offer it. As I said, I'm all for making a buck, I just think over charging people is wrong, even if they are willing to pay that price. Strictly my opinion.

For example, I vaguely remember you could get parking for a Red Sox game for $20. When they were in the playoffs against the Yankees all of a sudden those $20 spots turned into, if I remember correctly, $60. Yes, people paid it...willingly. But, to me it was wrong to charge that kind of price.

Yes, make a profit, that's what capitalism is all about, but taking advantage of others is something else altogether different. To me good business should be a win-win-win: for the customer, for the vendor, for the employee.

If I was a billionaire I would never play Pebble Beach. It's the principle of the thing. $495? Sure they get it, and they are booked solid, but they could still make a tidy profit by charging less, a lot less. I'm not going to feed the greed.

Sean even worse that Yankee 2003 ALCS i paid either 60 or 65 game gets postponed didn't get money back

It's not "over charging" if someone agrees to the price. In fact, it's exactly the price that the thing should be, since both sides are voluntarily purchasing/selling the thing for an agreed upon amount. Both sides believe the value of the thing to the amount paid is correct, otherwise they wouldn't make the transaction. But it's pretty silly to complain about amount you paid for something when you did so voluntarily. After all, if it's voluntary, then you made a conscious decision that the thing you bought *IS* has the same value to you as to what you paid, otherwise I'd say you're insane for doing something in which you weren't forced to do.

"Over charging" (among other adjectives) would be to advertise that it's $10 to park, and you get there, and it's $37.28.

Charge less than your competitors and it's dumping

Charge the same as your competitors and it's price fixing

Charge more than your competitors and it's gouging.

What's a businessman to do?

It's a good system we have in place. Professional sports get multi billion dollar television deals, tax payer funded stadiums, then it costs $500-750 for a family of four to go to a game. They can afford, but they do so by putting on a high interest rate credit card. In 10 years they've paid for the tickets and spent $2000.

I can afford to go to pro sporting events, but I don't bother anymore. Football is better on my TV, golf is better on my TV and baseball is better on my TV. If I do go, it's for work or I'll go to a practice round for a tour event. Those are better anyway.

Sean even worse that Yankee 2003 ALCS i paid either 60 or 65 game gets postponed didn't get money back

That is bad. You should at least have received a voucher for parking for the next game.

That is bad. You should at least have received a voucher for parking for the next game.

No dice it was one of those corner gas stations

The WNBA will be starting up pretty soon. Plenty of cheap tickets available.

Why do people complain about paying premium prices for premium events and experiences? If you want to go watch golf cheaply, go plunk your lawn chair on the cusp of the 18th green at your local muni.

All premium events/experiences are expensive. Ever flown 1st class? Ever seen a Broadway play? Ever skied Whistler/Blackcomb? Do you know what a few days at Disney costs for a family of 4?

Come on now, let's use some common sense instead of getting all emotionally balled up over basic economics.

Pebble could not accommodate any more players though. If they are full at that price point it is priced correctly. People complain about Pro V1 price and yet they are the most popular ball in golf. Should they cut the price?

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

Pebble could not accommodate any more players though. If they are full at that price point it is priced correctly. People complain about Pro V1 price and yet they are the most popular ball in golf. Should they cut the price?

The price of the ProV is the price for pretty much all premium golf balls, give or take a couple of dollars. I never heard anyone complain about ProV1 prices. Maybe they should charge $90 a dozen. Would that make you happy?

As I said earlier, Pebble is booked solid. Doesn't mean it's priced correctly though. It just means there are people willing to pay that price. I'll just never be one of them. If I go to a ball park and am not allowed to bring in any water, and they charge me $6.00 for a bottle of water, you think that's a reasonable price? I don't.

I have no problem with folks making a profit, as I've said. Repeatedly. That's as it should be. But taking advantage of people, knowing you have a product, service, or what have you, that people want, and knowing they will pay the "upcharge" is something altogether different.

I'd pay $250 to play Pebble, and I think at that price those folks would still make a very tidy profit.

If you want to pay $500 for a round of golf, be my guest.