The 2016 Open Championship Discussion Thread

PZero

Did anyone see if Stenson's caddie replaced his divot for his second on 18. It was the only replaced divot infront of that bunker, all the rest were filled with sand plus everyone said it was his. I ended up taking it and going halves with another guy.

That's awesome! I remember back when I went halvsies on a wedge shaft of his with another lady in the gallery. After she dislodged it from her thigh, we both toasted to the "Fiery EURO." What a great champion golfer of the British!!!

We get that you don't like Europeans from pretty much everything you have ever posted on golfwrx, but you could at least appreciate the golf that Henrik played today instead of being a Grade A a**

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And that, my friends, is what you call a great major!

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

Did anyone see if Stenson's caddie replaced his divot for his second on 18. It was the only replaced divot infront of that bunker, all the rest were filled with sand plus everyone said it was his. I ended up taking it and going halves with another guy.

That's awesome! I remember back when I went halvsies on a wedge shaft of his with another lady in the gallery. After she dislodged it from her thigh, we both toasted to the "Fiery EURO." What a great champion golfer of the British!!!

We get that you don't like Europeans from pretty much everything you have ever posted on golfwrx, but you could at least appreciate the golf that Henrik played today instead of being a Grade A a**

He played amazingly. I appreciate it so much. A true champion golfer of the British was crowned today. I could not be more appreciative of what we saw today! I really do apologize that my extreme appreciation for Hen Stentson was not more apparent in my initial post. Could you go ahead and be a good lad, and forgive me?

was that the best round of golf ever?

It'd be interesting to see the numbers between this and Miller's 63. I believe JM holds the record for strokes gained tee to green in a single round at around 9 from his 63 at Oakmont. I don't think Stenson's round matched that, but hopefully those numbers show up somewhere soon. Field average in 1973 on Sunday was 73.8 (par 70), I think field average today was 73.6 (par 71). I'd have to give the nod to Miller.

I'm not sure there's ever been a better final pairing in a major though, 63-65?

If Wikipedia is correct, Oakmont was par 71 for the US Open in 1973.

It is and it was...

#9 Played as a 475-480 par 5 back in 1973-

It still Plays as a 5 from the Blues up however as a 4 from the Blacks/Greens(US Open Tees) and for all Club Championships, Inter-Club Swats and Tourneys not to mention Pro Tourneys and the US Open, lol

I hope that you're well Bro :)

All the Best,

RP

Thank you Richard!

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

okay......now what? :dntknw:

Plant, then grow your own Henrik Stenson.

LMAO, when I first saw it before I read the post I thought "wow, they got some good s*** on the other side of the pond and I wanna read some of 360's posts after he smokes some of that."

No, please don't get up, I know where the door is, I can show myself out, thanks though :)

Regards,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

He will break the Carrot Jug.

makes sense to me. I spent the better half of Saturday in a Northern California hamlet called Boonville. Watchin golf drinkin ale and listening to Boontling. Almost like bein in Scotland. Alotta blootch and burlap with me ol apple head.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

makes sense to me. I spent the better half of Saturday in a Northern California hamlet called Boonville. Watchin golf drinkin ale and listening to Boontling. Almost like bein in Scotland. Alotta blootch and burlap with me ol apple head.

Sounds like a nice Sunday. Bummer you missed the Barbasol, but there will be a good tourney on again soon.

I don't know. I might not even be allowed to bring it back home. They are really strick about bringing things like this back into the country.

Sounds like a nice Sunday. Bummer you missed the Barbasol, but there will be a good tourney on again soon.

Is there any chance you'll stop posting soon? You're ruining a good thread. Thank you.

This must be one of the awsomest majors in history. Phil was 11 shots ahead of 3rd place. In 19 out of 20 majors that spells runaway victory.

As a Scandinavian I was rooting for Stenson. He is the first Scandinavian male to win a major, and this was a heck of a win. But Phil's runner-up is perhaps the best of all times. I think he topped Nicklaus defeat to Watson at Turnberry in ... Was it 77? Needless to say, Stenson's performance was extreme. 4 under on the finishing 5 - and finishing with a 63 - it's epic.

Two guys produce otherworldly golf here...

Unbelievable golf from both considering the circumstances and the occasion. Phil has been generous in his praise of Henrik and the manner in which he responded to his play. Just great to watch. Some big performances from others like Andrew (Beef) Johnston, JB Holmes, Soren Kjeldsen & Tyrrell Hatton. Bring on the PGA and the Ryder Cup!

With a Major, a WGC, a Players, a FedEx Cup and a Race to Dubai you have to think Stenson will be a serious candidate for the Hall of Fame when he turns 50. He has met the criteria to be on the ballot, he just needs to be voted in by the panel.

I think he's got quite a ways to go. With 14 wins combined between PGA and Euro Tour, he's in Duval/Furyk territory and still well short of DL3 (IMO the best player not in the Hall).

was that the best round of golf ever?

It'd be interesting to see the numbers between this and Miller's 63. I believe JM holds the record for strokes gained tee to green in a single round at around 9 from his 63 at Oakmont. I don't think Stenson's round matched that, but hopefully those numbers show up somewhere soon. Field average in 1973 on Sunday was 73.8 (par 70), I think field average today was 73.6 (par 71). I'd have to give the nod to Miller.

I'm not sure there's ever been a better final pairing in a major though, 63-65?

Good stuff, Drew, but, IMO, even with strokes gained JM73 vs HS16 is apples to oranges. I would think Phil's play help to push Stenson - he obviously didn't crumble from the pressure! Both were all-time great rounds.

The duel between Stenson and Phil could very well have been the best ever. Seemed like there was an outstanding shot (or two) on every hole.

Michelson's round would have been one for the ages if not for Stenson!

Without a doubt the best final pairing duel in a major since Tiger/May.

Ashley is such a joy, no?

Boonville! My brother and wife just bought property up that way. Been up there- good times..

Heck of a show from Stenson and Mickelson. Didn't think we would see another Nicklaus/Watson scenario but that is exactly what we saw this weekend. Stenson is a thoroughly deserving champion. He struck the golf ball better than anyone this week and his putter didn't let him down, which is a big change for how it normally goes for him in majors. I am glad he finally got the major monkey off his back. Maybe this will open the flood gates for him and we'll see him win some more big ones.

With a Major, a WGC, a Players, a FedEx Cup and a Race to Dubai you have to think Stenson will be a serious candidate for the Hall of Fame when he turns 50. He has met the criteria to be on the ballot, he just needs to be voted in by the panel.

I think he's got quite a ways to go. With 14 wins combined between PGA and Euro Tour, he's in Duval/Furyk territory and still well short of DL3 (IMO the best player not in the Hall).

First Swedish male to win a major has to be taken into consideration. But now that the monkey is off his back, he may just go ahead and win some more majors to make it a slam dunk case for the Hall.

This must be one of the awsomest majors in history. Phil was 11 shots ahead of 3rd place. In 19 out of 20 majors that spells runaway victory.

As a Scandinavian I was rooting for Stenson. He is the first Scandinavian male to win a major, and this was a heck of a win. But Phil's runner-up is perhaps the best of all times. I think he topped Nicklaus defeat to Watson at Turnberry in ... Was it 77? Needless to say, Stenson's performance was extreme. 4 under on the finishing 5 - and finishing with a 63 - it's epic.

Two guys produce otherworldly golf here...

Yeah, I think so too. I rank this right with the Watson/Nicklaus duel, but the final 18 was even better golf. Just wonderful to watch, and admire, two players performing at that level. Nobody blinked, Stenson simply played better. It enhanced both of their reputations.