The 2016 Open Championship Discussion Thread

PZero

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't say I am sad for Sir Phil at all, despite being a massive Sir Phil fan.

If there's one person in the world I wanted to see win a major, it's Stenson. I don't think anyone deserves one more, and I don't think he'll stop at one now either. What an absolutely amazing performance by both over the last 4 days.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

It's a life changing win for Stenson.

Phil knows how big that is in a golfers career. Phil is a competitor but he's also a human being, a husband and a father, and his classiness always comes out in moments of defeat.

And that is coming from someone like myself that doesn't even root for the guy. He's flawed but he's a really really good dude.

Hope the USGA was paying attention. Greens don't need to be 13 or more.

It's not because the R&A is just a considerate group of people. If they cut them at 13, when the wind blows the course becomes unplayable because the ball won't stay put on the greens.

Even with calm wind forecast they won't have them more than 11. The other majors would be better with slower greens in my opinion.

The forecast can change quickly and the R&A knows this. If they could, they would mow the greens much shorter.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Can't say I am sad for Sir Phil at all, despite being a massive Sir Phil fan.

If there's one person in the world I wanted to see win a major, it's Stenson. I don't think anyone deserves one more, and I don't think he'll stop at one now either. What an absolutely amazing performance by both over the last 4 days.

Agree that it was fantastic to see Stenson win what would be the most important major to him, but still sad to see Phil play so great and not win. There can only be so many weeks left where Phil can bring it for 72 holes at his age, just wish it wasn't this week. Stenson has come a long way from not winning his local club championship a few years back, greatest story since Daly in 91.

was that the best round of golf ever?

It'd be interesting to see the numbers between this and Miller's 63. I believe JM holds the record for strokes gained tee to green in a single round at around 9 from his 63 at Oakmont. I don't think Stenson's round matched that, but hopefully those numbers show up somewhere soon. Field average in 1973 on Sunday was 73.8 (par 70), I think field average today was 73.6 (par 71). I'd have to give the nod to Miller.

I'm not sure there's ever been a better final pairing in a major though, 63-65?

Nobody at 66, one guy at 67 and 3 guys at 68 today. The last pairing was a combined 14 under.

:swoon:

Miller didn't have to go head to head with anyone knowing that the trophy was on the line. He finished way before the leaders.

HS and PM really pushed each other to the limit.

Miller wasn't necessarily paired with anyone in a head to head fashion, but he was certainly in the thick of it from his 4th hole onwards (2 off the lead).

Interesting parallel, I didn't know Wadkins shot 65 that day....

http://www.usopen.co...inal_round.html

I'm sure there will be endless comparisons in the upcoming days/weeks/months/years, but one thing is for sure, we saw history today! What an epic day...

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

Hope the USGA was paying attention. Greens don't need to be 13 or more.

It's not because the R&A is just a considerate group of people. If they cut them at 13, when the wind blows the course becomes unplayable because the ball won't stay put on the greens.

Even with calm wind forecast they won't have them more than 11. The other majors would be better with slower greens in my opinion.

The forecast can change quickly and the R&A knows this. If they could, they would mow the greens much shorter.

I doubt they would. They are not really in to tricking the courses up so no reason to be that fast.

TaylorMade M2 (2016) 9.5* (2* lower) HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5
TaylorMade M1 15* Tensei CK Pro White 80X or
Taylor Made tour issue M2 T3 Ozik Matrix 8M3 X

TaylorMade Rsi TP 3-PW (1.5* strong) NS-Pro MOdus 3 tour130 X
Callaway MD 3 48 bent to 50 KBS 610 S+
Callaway MD 3 52 bent to 54 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]
Callaway MD 2 58 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]

Odyssey 2-ball Pro-Type milled face putter.

Tour Preferred X or TP5x ball.

It'd be interesting to see the numbers between this and Miller's 63. I believe JM holds the record for strokes gained tee to green in a single round at around 9 from his 63 at Oakmont. I don't think Stenson's round matched that, but hopefully those numbers show up somewhere soon. Field average in 1973 on Sunday was 73.8 (par 70), I think field average today was 73.6 (par 71). I'd have to give the nod to Miller.

If Wikipedia is correct, Oakmont was par 71 for the US Open in 1973.

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

The plot thickens!!

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

Henrik 3 putted twice and missed a few within 15 feet. Could have been 59! That 3 wood coupled with his crunching laser irons. Formidable. Phil hanging with that onslaught was breathtaking.

XR16 Driver 11.5 Prolaunch Blue Axis reg spine aligned FLOed 45.25" 245y
Adams Speed Line Fast 12 Fairway 17 degrees stock Prolaunch Blue Speedcoat reg spine aligned FLOed 220y
Wilson19.5 Fybrid FY(fairway bridge) stock reg Prolaunch V2 spine aligned FLOed 200y
Adams Super Pro 23 Hybrid Stock Prolaunch Platinium reg spine aligned FLOed 190y
i25 Black Dot 4i-9i Z-Z65 1/2" Long(4-7i with bounce grind) 180-130y
i25 Black Dot UW weakened to 48 Z-Z65 1/2" Long 115y
TM TP 52-9(bent to 53) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/2" long 100y
TM TP 58-10(bent to 59 bounce ground to 6) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/4" long 85y
Evnroll ER5 370g Hatchback 34" No 30g counterweight 69 degrees Lie 4 Loft Winn Jumbo Lite Pistol 59g Grip Black Tone
All 13 grips GP MCC+4 Grey Logo hidden/down midsize +1 tape layer
Callaway Chrome Soft Ball White
Mizuno Skintite Glove

winning score vs field avg is a good benchmark, but Miller didn't have to stand next to the guy he was trying to beat, and started the day with essentially no pressure or expectations.

watching Phil stuff it on one, make an early eagle, and to stand up there time after time and pure it all day long for your first major, i think gives Stenson the nod for me.

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 Speeder Evolution 757x
Titleist 917F3 13.5 Fuji Speeder Pro TS 84X
Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT

What a display of ball striking prowess! I mean, Henrik is a known top ball striker, but damn!

He even missed a few putts! Otherwise, this might go down as one of the best rounds of golf ever seen, especially given what was on the line!

Take a bow! Champion Golfer indeed!

WITB:
SDLR White 10* Speeder 6.2x TS
Epic 14* AD TP7, Rogue 17* PX Evenflow Black
R15 3H Rogue Black 85
MP-18 MMC 4 - PW Modus 120x
50* T7, 58* PM-Grind
Ghost Spider Si Slant

winning score vs field avg is a good benchmark, but Miller didn't have to stand next to the guy he was trying to beat, and started the day with essentially no pressure or expectations.

watching Phil stuff it on one, make an early eagle, and to stand up there time after time and pure it all day long for your first major, i think gives Stenson the nod for me.

As a high single cap I can't begin to imagine what was going through either guys head during their epic 63s, but from my experience it is much harder to shoot a low score when you are holding a lead. Miller knew he had to go low so could just go all out attack with nothing to lose. But Oakmont certainly looked a tougher proposition than Turnberry. I have to stick with Johnny.

I remember like yesterday watching,as an on-call medical intern,bits and pieces of the final 18 holes of the duel in the sun. I so wanted Jack to win but I thrilled over Watson' s victory.

I didn't think I would ever see a golfing day like that again but , good grief, today was good.

I'm European, (no matter the referendum), but wanted Phil to win. At the end of the day though,wow! Henrik Stenson - what an absolutely, extraordinary, nerveless performance. I suspect it may well be another 40 years before we see the likes. (Oops, I'd be 104. Maybe I mean ,"before you see the likes".)

What a Championship!

Woods' U.S. Open performance, when he finished at 12 under and 15 strokes ahead of second-place is lauded as the most dominant showing ever. The field average that year was 17 over, meaning he beat that by 29 strokes. Stenson at this year's Open shot 20-under with a field average of 9 over -- 29 strokes.

Incredible!!

Great find!!

Nicely Played!

Fairways & Greens My Friend,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Im so TO'ed that I missed the final round. Was Stenson able to make it seven holes without breaking a club?

He might have caused some broken clubs...

...by the rest of the field, that is.

Darn. I was hoping he'd break some clubs (as usual), and people would talk about how it means he's a "fiery Euro" or something. I guess I'll have to wait until the next time he's on TV.

My God you're really bad at this.

I know. I'll break some clubs about it.

Woods' U.S. Open performance, when he finished at 12 under and 15 strokes ahead of second-place is lauded as the most dominant showing ever. The field average that year was 17 over, meaning he beat that by 29 strokes. Stenson at this year's Open shot 20-under with a field average of 9 over -- 29 strokes.

Cool stat. Shows that this performance was pretty much equally impressive. Only difference is Lefty did similar. Take him out and Stenson wins by 14 shots.

Good stuff, Drew, but, IMO, even with strokes gained JM73 vs HS16 is apples to oranges. I would think Phil's play help to push Stenson - he obviously didn't crumble from the pressure! Both were all-time great rounds.

The duel between Stenson and Phil could very well have been the best ever. Seemed like there was an outstanding shot (or two) on every hole.

Michelson's round would have been one for the ages if not for Stenson!

It is and it was...

#9 Played as a 475-480 par 5 back in 1973-

It still Plays as a 5 from the Blues up however as a 4 from the Blacks/Greens(US Open Tees) and for all Club Championships, Inter-Club Swats and Tourneys not to mention Pro Tourneys and the US Open, lol

I hope that you're well Bro :)

All the Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Did anyone see if Stenson's caddie replaced his divot for his second on 18. It was the only replaced divot infront of that bunker, all the rest were filled with sand plus everyone said it was his. I ended up taking it and going halves with another guy.

That's awesome! I remember back when I went halvsies on a wedge shaft of his with another lady in the gallery. After she dislodged it from her thigh, we both toasted to the "Fiery EURO." What a great champion golfer of the British!!!

Did anyone see if Stenson's caddie replaced his divot for his second on 18. It was the only replaced divot infront of that bunker, all the rest were filled with sand plus everyone said it was his. I ended up taking it and going halves with another guy.

okay......now what? :dntknw:

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

If that had a likeness of the Holy Mother on there you could sell it for millions,

okay......now what? :dntknw:

He will break the Carrot Jug.