2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Nike dropping golf equipment (merged)

jgallant415

Golf is slowly reverting back to what was industry standards prior to the Tiger craze. For example, Curtis Strange wore Nike apparel during the '88 and '89 US Open's while playing MacGregor clubs. That's not a knock on Tiger. His contributions to the game will be felt for decades. We are currently seeing those contributions with the caliber of athlete coming on Tour. Tiger made golf "cool" and the game should celebrate that as they do Arnold Palmer. The growth the game experienced in the 2000's wasn't sustainable. That's evident in the number of course closures over the past few years. Now, we are seeing club manufacturers go by the wayside. How many have gone under now since the late 2000's?

MacGregor, Adams, Maxfly, Top Flite, Linx, Yonex, Armour, Nicklaus..................

Now Nike is folding and Taylor Made is in a state of flux.

Equipment manufacturers are slowly realizing avid amateurs largely don't play equipment based on what they see guys on TV play. The average golfer don't typically base club purchases on what apparel they are wearing either. Apparel manufactures thought they could create a "one stop shop" for everything a golfer would need or want. Therefore, we saw a rise in the Nike, TMAG, Callaway, Cobra/Puma business model. That philosophy hasn't panned out. Most people buy what they like and are not altogether brand loyal.

In my opinion, the big equipment deals are a thing of the past. More club manufactures will adopt the Wilson Staff, Mizuno, Titleist philosophy and let guys go where they chose for apparel.

Just my opinion.

your talking like Tiger is dead. The Guy is going to be back playing golf at one point or another. And when he does come back its going to be the most viewed event in golf history. And if you for one second don't think so. You would be totally wrong. And the manufacturer that is going to be signing him is hoping for that moment as well.

In terms of a competitive golf standpoint he is dead and has been for several years

It's over he just doesn't have the ability to admit it

I think you missed the part where the company he was the poster boy just admitted they can't sell golf clubs at a point where it makes business sense. How would him going to a new one, not even close to the factor he once was make any difference?

I loved the guy and what he meant in terms of excellence and domination but that guy is DEAD and has been since he forgot to hide the extra cell phone

Still completely wrong. Since his scandal. He won 10 Tournaments. Who is the closet to that number in the last 6 years? Maybe Jason Day? His Scandal or when he didn't hide his extra phone was 2010.

Time will tell but Tiger based his entire career on winning majors. How many has he won since the "scandal" in 2009? He is 40 and hasn't won a major since he was 32! He also hasn't won anywhere since August 2013.

Again, this isn't intended to be a knock on Tiger but, we do live in a society where any criticism automatically makes you a hater.

Carry on!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I just heard on GC the business guy said Nike did over 700 million in golf sales alone last year. It accounted for just 2% of nikes total business revenue.

So I ask this. No BS. No way in the sticks does cobra and or mizuno do 700 million in golf sales a year. I'm probably 100% wrong,but nah! No way those company's do 700 million in golf equipment.

Nike should think like Parsons at pxg. I'll make clubs and it's only 2% of my total revenue. It's ok,it's only 2% of my gross revenue.

Something seems amiss when you look at it. 700 million a year and it's only 2% risk and you say "we're done"!! The risk and money spent to make 700 million can't be that lopsided.

Specially if you have 98% of another part of company to even it out. The new CEO at Nikes first move after Phil retires is to kill golf area. Just seems odd.

Golf is slowly reverting back to what was industry standards prior to the Tiger craze. For example, Curtis Strange wore Nike apparel during the '88 and '89 US Open's while playing MacGregor clubs. That's not a knock on Tiger. His contributions to the game will be felt for decades. We are currently seeing those contributions with the caliber of athlete coming on Tour. Tiger made golf "cool" and the game should celebrate that as they do Arnold Palmer. The growth the game experienced in the 2000's wasn't sustainable. That's evident in the number of course closures over the past few years. Now, we are seeing club manufacturers go by the wayside. How many have gone under now since the late 2000's?

MacGregor, Adams, Maxfly, Top Flite, Linx, Yonex, Armour, Nicklaus..................

Equipment manufacturers are slowly realizing avid amateurs largely don't play equipment based on what they see guys on TV play. The average golfer don't typically base club purchases on what apparel they are wearing either. Apparel manufactures thought they could create a "one stop shop" for everything a golfer would need or want. Therefore, we saw a rise in the Nike, TMAG, Callaway, Cobra/Puma business model. That philosophy hasn't panned out. Most people buy what they like and are not altogether brand loyal.

In my opinion, the big equipment deals are a thing of the past. More club manufactures will adopt the Wilson Staff, Mizuno, Titleist philosophy and let guys go where they chose for apparel.

Just my opinion.

your talking like Tiger is dead. The Guy is going to be back playing golf at one point or another. And when he does come back its going to be the most viewed event in golf history. And if you for one second don't think so. You would be totally wrong. And the manufacturer that is going to be signing him is hoping for that moment as well.

In terms of a competitive golf standpoint he is dead and has been for several years

I think you missed the part where the company he was the poster boy just admitted they can't sell golf clubs at a point where it makes business sense. How would him going to a new one, not even close to the factor he once was make any difference?

I loved the guy and what he meant in terms of excellence and domination but that guy is DEAD and has been since he forgot to hide the extra cell phone

Still completely wrong. Since his scandal. He won 10 Tournaments. Who is the closet to that number in the last 6 years? Maybe Jason Day? His Scandal or when he didn't hide his extra phone was 2010.

Time will tell but Tiger based his entire career on winning majors. How many has he won since the "scandal" in 2009? He is 40 and hasn't won a major since he was 32! He also hasn't won anywhere since August 2013.

Again, this isn't intended to be a knock on Tiger but, we do live in a society where any criticism automatically makes you a hater.

Carry on!

Right

I LOVE the guy but I'm not myopic enough to think he's going to flip a switch.

He's done - still a heck of a career with 14 majors but it won't get to 15.

TM Sim D-Type Tour AD IZ 7s
Mavrik SZ 16.5 Tour AD DI 7s
Cleveland Hibore Xli 3,4,5
TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2

Just read from STP that Nike will let all players pursue other equipment immediately but won't cut any of their fees until the contracts end. Pretty stand up thing to do, if you ask me.

STP?

Secret Tour Pro on twitter aka geoff ogilvy.

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

So I just heard on GC the business guy said Nike did over 700 million in golf sales alone last year. It accounted for just 2% of nikes total business revenue.

So I ask this. No BS. No way in the sticks does cobra and or mizuno do 700 million in golf sales a year. I'm probably 100% wrong,but nah! No way those company's do 700 million in golf equipment.

Nike should think like Parsons at pxg. I'll make clubs and it's only 2% of my total revenue. It's ok,it's only 2% of my gross revenue.

Something seems amiss when you look at it. 700 million a year and it's only 2% risk and you say "we're done"!! The risk and money spent to make 700 million can't be that lopsided.

but why even spend the energy when you can just launch another pair of jordans and make more profit than all the golf clubs combined

I remember when the rors 006 came out and people were mad it was hard to get on their site that day. Of course it is, that putter wasn't "special" to nike it was just another pair of shoes... a commodity. It was special to the oven guys and this community but not to the folks in the boardroom.

Nike was the first company I saw get away with selling clothing and shoes at MSRP - UA quickly followed and does as well. It's WAY easier to keystone that stuff all day than try and get a pallet full of drivers moved at various Dicks Sporting Goods.

TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2

Drone putters are very stable face balanced mallets. Good for nervy short putters.

XR16 Driver 11.5 Prolaunch Blue Axis reg spine aligned FLOed 45.25" 245y
Adams Speed Line Fast 12 Fairway 17 degrees stock Prolaunch Blue Speedcoat reg spine aligned FLOed 220y
Wilson19.5 Fybrid FY(fairway bridge) stock reg Prolaunch V2 spine aligned FLOed 200y
Adams Super Pro 23 Hybrid Stock Prolaunch Platinium reg spine aligned FLOed 190y
i25 Black Dot 4i-9i Z-Z65 1/2" Long(4-7i with bounce grind) 180-130y
i25 Black Dot UW weakened to 48 Z-Z65 1/2" Long 115y
TM TP 52-9(bent to 53) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/2" long 100y
TM TP 58-10(bent to 59 bounce ground to 6) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/4" long 85y
Evnroll ER5 370g Hatchback 34" No 30g counterweight 69 degrees Lie 4 Loft Winn Jumbo Lite Pistol 59g Grip Black Tone
All 13 grips GP MCC+4 Grey Logo hidden/down midsize +1 tape layer
Callaway Chrome Soft Ball White
Mizuno Skintite Glove

Question is, did Nike decide to drop out of the club business cuz they found out Tiger is not coming back and they have no market share without him. I hate to admit he still moves the needle, but for Nike golf he WAS the needle. This proves that Nike is actually bigger than TW if golf was only 2% of their bottom line

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Tensei 1K Black 65S 45.75"
Titleist TSR2 16.5 Tensei 1K Black 75S 43.25"
Titleist TSR3 19* Tensei 1K Black 75S 42.75" 
Titleist TSR3 3H 19* Tensei 1kB Black 85s 40.5"
Fourteen TC 920 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Fourteen DJ-4 48* Project X IO 6.0
Fourteen DJ-5 54* Project X IO 6.0

Fourteen DJ-4 58* Project X IO 6.0
2023 Odyssey Jailbird MH 39"  
2023 Vice Pro Lime

If that number is accurate it's just what they grossed. You have to minus out all the contracts, the r&d, the staffers, the employees, benefit packages, marketing....etc..etc... If you count all the man hours that goes into the business it's not worth it for 2% minus, minus

Specially if you have 98% of another part of company to even it out. The new CEO at Nikes first move after Phil retires is to kill golf area. Just seems odd.

I'd imagine they spend 900 million on their club business if they take in 700 million in revenue.

NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON GOLFWRX

Where Are You Waiting GIF by This GIF Is Haunted

Just my two cents. I think we will see Nike switch to the marketing strategy they have used in tennis since the days of Agassi. They do not make racquets, balls, or any equipment for that sport but instead focus 100% on footwear and fashion. Therefore they have every top player in the game signed to them (other than Novak Djokovic) and they make money hand over fist because the players have complete freedom to choose the equipment they feel best suits them. It makes a lot of sense from a business model standpoint and they have the blueprint of being incredibly successful in it from that sport.

This has got to be their future golf business model. Look at it this way, when you think of Roger Federer or Serena Williams you think Nike. Not whatever brand racquet they play.

Titleist TSi3 9* Mitsubishi Tensi AV Raw White
Callaway XR Pro 14* Project X LZ Hand Crafted
Titleist U500 2 iron Project X HZRDUS Smoke 90
Titleist T100 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Callaway MD4 50*, 54*, & 58* Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Scotty Cameron "Art of Putting" Newport

0.1% matters these days to multibillion dollar corporations especially now that Nike knows the end is near for Tiger

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

It's a publically traded company. They have to make business decisions that are in the best interest of the shareholders. Phil ran the company the way he wanted, which, in the case of Golf equipment, was likely not always in the best interest of the shareholders. I would assume the belief here is that by cutting the overhead (staff, R&D, manufacturing, etc) and reallocating all of their efforts in apparel, Nike believes they can easily make up that 2% and more. Nike probably didn't want to cut all of those people and all golf equipment. But from a investment standpoint, with golf only being 2% and clearly lagging in growth in comparison to other parts of the organization, it's a no brainer.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

Question is, did Nike decide to drop out of the club business cuz they found out Tiger is not coming back and they have no market share without him. I hate to admit he still moves the needle, but for Nike golf he WAS the needle. This proves that Nike is actually bigger than TW if golf was only 2% of their bottom line

They had no market share WITH him

not in hardgoods

A new state of the art golf galaxy opened up a few years ago on the north side of indy - Had every brand you'd want to think of. had A Nike soft goods display that was without question the most dominant item on the floor. Every piece of clothing, shoes, etc.

Not a single Nike Golf Club

There's a reason

TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2

Do not be surprised if Nike signs Dustin or Jason Day to a clothing and shoe deal while they still swing the Taylormade clubs.

Grapevine is talking on that.

They are both in contract years so the highest bidder (UA and Nike) will be the winner on their clothing deals 100%

This is what my post a few days ago was hinting at, prior to finding out Nike wasn't making clubs any more. Day to Nike but staying with TM clubs. Thought it was a bad sign for quality of Nike clubs, ended up being because they were getting out. FYI Day is in a completely different marketing stratosphere than Dustin, nobody is throwing money at DJ.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Mark Parker has been CEO for quite some time now.

He also said they want to aim at 50b by 2020? They have a plan in place for growth and Nike Golf equipment isn't part of that plan.

They had no market share WITH him

not in hardgoods

A new state of the art golf galaxy opened up a few years ago on the north side of indy - Had every brand you'd want to think of. had A Nike soft goods display that was without question the most dominant item on the floor. Every piece of clothing, shoes, etc.

Not a single Nike Golf Club

There's a reason

Castleton!! I know that golf galaxy well. I used to live around that area before moving to Tennessee. Sorry,but yeah hardly any Nike clubs at all. Same as golfsmith. Just a rack.

the reason is because the nike was not good at marketing its hardgoods.

it knows how to do apparel and shoes, it was still learning on the other side.

Totally agree. Let's face it all the big guys, and even most of the little guys, make good equipment, and Nike did a great job at the Oven taking care of it's tour pros. What Nike did a horrible job of was convincing average Joe golfer, and the serious Joe golfer that they should buy Nike clubs. Their entire market was Tiger fan boys and younger people who just started the game who thought Nike was cool. Problem is a lot of those people quit playing golf, or don't play enough to worry about buying new stuff. And if they did take up the game seriously they often moved to more traditional stuff.

They tapped into a market that was dead in the water once Tiger fizzled out.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Just my opinion.

Sorry but Tiger winning the joebob invitational means absolutely nothing since he established a much higher bar than that. The fact is he hasn't won the Masters or the US Open and those are the only thing that matters to most golf fans in the USA. Day has a way higher marketability score right now it wouldn't even be close actually and there aren't 2 people in any golf store who have a clue what model irons he plays.

Tiger died in 2010. An old guy with a bad back and bad knee who can't clear a 100 yard water hazard is who he is now - that's just how it is. I can see by your entire bag of Nike clubs you won't want to admit that, it's ok, but when he announces his retirement from competitive golf, which has already happened without an announcement, it will sink in.

Your right the players championship means nothing

~2024 Bag~

Titleist TSR2 10 Degree Ventus Red 6s

Titleist TSR2 3W 15 Degree

Titleist TSR2 Hybrid 19 Degree

Titleist T-200 4-5  Fujikura Axiom 105S

Titleist T-150 6-PW Fujikura Axiom 105S

Titleist SM10 50.12F,56.12D,60.04T

Scotty Cameron 11.5 

Titleist Pro-V1x Yellow

the reason is because the nike was not good at marketing its hardgoods.

it knows how to do apparel and shoes, it was still learning on the other side.

They had the best hard goods commercials in golf. I thought they marketed them well, but since Tiger has been hurt they cut down on their commercials for hard goods.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

All the Nike hate cracks me up... people need to find a more productive way to spend their time. I've had Nike clubs in and out of my bag the last 5 years. Enjoyed most, didn't got along with some. Never found that a reason to come into a thread and bash what they brought to market. It is clear by the response (28 pages of replies in less than a day) that they clearly pushed the limits of this traditional "get off my lawn" sport. Some people liked it, some people didn't. I wouldn't consider this a failure, just reallocation of funds to MORE profitable business ventures. It is a shame that employees were blindsided by this and I wish them the best. No other company was able to peak my interest in new releases through their marketing and it is something that will be missed. Think I'll miss the Nike threads the most, however. Always fund to read.

This was a typical corporate America/wall st play. The golf division wasn't making near as much revenue as other avenues and it was slowing down growth and hindering the numbers from the rest of the company. The board votes to cut the golf business and in the very near future Nike's earnings and growth figures will move directly upward. It's a smart play for the investors and for Nike. It's the same reason Adidas is rumored to want to dump Taylormade. It's the same reason Under Armor would be crazy to start producing golf clubs. The margins and sales are so much higher in apparel and Nike, Adidas and UA are apparel companies. They are not OEM companies with apparel lines.

Adidas is dumping Taylormade... They are getting out of golf and focusing on other sports as of 2017

Mark Parker has been CEO for quite some time now.He also said they want to aim at 50b by 2020? They have a plan in place for growth and Nike Golf equipment isn't part of that plan.

Knight just retired as of June 30th of 2016. Just a month ago? I don't think axing golf was knights thinking. Parker just got the rains it seems. This is Parkers first CEO big boy decision. Knight was the end all be all up until June. Plus 700 million from 2% of he business is good. Nike had 30 billion total revenue in middle of 2015.

Mark Parker has been CEO for quite some time now.He also said they want to aim at 50b by 2020? They have a plan in place for growth and Nike Golf equipment isn't part of that plan.

Knight just retired as of June 30th of 2016. Just a month ago? I don't think axing golf was knights thinking. Parker just got the rains it seems. This is Parkers first CEO big boy decision. Knight was the end all be all up until June. Plus 700 million from 2% of he business is good. Nike had 30 billion total revenue in middle of 2015.

I think the target growth for NIke to meet that 50b was around 8-9% each year. I can't remember but it was in an article.

I think the target growth for NIke to meet that 50b was around 8-9% each year. I can't remember but it was in an article.

Nike Golf was meeting that. Sadly, it was -8%.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

The Players?

I don't even remember when that was and I spend a lot of money on golf every year :)

I am not alone

lol credibility...ruined.

Taylormade Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 10*) / Denali Black 60TX

Taylormade Qi10 Tour / 3w (dialed 1 notch higher) / HZRDUS RDX Smoke Green 85 6.5

Taylormade P-DHY / 2i / Tensei Pro White 100TX
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW (3* weak) / KBS Tour X

Cleveland RTX6 / 54, 58 (full face2) / DG TI Spinner

Odyssey Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

Just my opinion.

Sorry but Tiger winning the joebob invitational means absolutely nothing since he established a much higher bar than that. The fact is he hasn't won the Masters or the US Open and those are the only thing that matters to most golf fans in the USA. Day has a way higher marketability score right now it wouldn't even be close actually and there aren't 2 people in any golf store who have a clue what model irons he plays.

Tiger died in 2010. An old guy with a bad back and bad knee who can't clear a 100 yard water hazard is who he is now - that's just how it is. I can see by your entire bag of Nike clubs you won't want to admit that, it's ok, but when he announces his retirement from competitive golf, which has already happened without an announcement, it will sink in.

Tiger was the PGA Tour POY in 2013.