2024 The Memorial Tournament WITB Pics & New Titleist GT woods ×

Tyson Lamb Putters & Crafts

My understanding there were two putters sent to MGS some time ago back in 2016 maybe even late 2015 for some kinda "pimp stick" article... dunno. This article never came to fruition but the putters remained at MGS. MGS did eventually produce I believe three articles but never about those original putters.

I have no idea what was agreed upon when Tyson sent the putters to MGS. I have no idea what is agreed upon with other OEM companies and MGS.

I do have an issue with an ethical dilemma if MGS sells off product it reviews. I know they say they're unbiased and don't take advertiser dollars from them but if they hype a product and then sell it for profit.... kinda sticky there.

[size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Cobra F8+[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Adams Tight Lies Tour 14.5[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Cobra AMP 18[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Bridgestone J40 Combo [/font][/size]
[size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Callaway MP3 52/58[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Tyson Lamb Custom Bridgeport[/font][/size]
[font="tahoma, geneva, sans-serif"]Vice Pro +[/font]

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s exactly something that MGS would do. They use click bait tactics to bring people in, bad articles, only allow soft ball comments to get through

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

This whole thing is so ridiculous that I’m thinking it must be some sort of elaborate promotional stunt.

Unless there is a very specific stipulation that the golf club be returned, the magazine, or reviewer, or golf pro, is completely free to do whatever the heck they want with the thing.

Use it, give it away, sell it, stick it up their bum as a sex toy. It doesn’t matter. Do what you like with it.

Sounds like a barter move - trade putter for publicity o what ever the article will provide.. At that point the putter becomes MGS property.

Im an artist, albeit not a very accomplished one. If I sell a print for X, my collector hopes that it will increase in value, lets say XXX. If that buyer then later sells the print, should the collector sell it for 1. X, or 2. XX, or 3. XXX? As the artist, the creator of that original piece of art, I have no say, nor would I want the collector to sell it for the original X, it would devalue my work. Instead, I would rather the collector get XXXX.

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

One man show...

CNC machine

CNC router bits

Software to run cnc machine

Time spent designing a putter head, prototyping, re-engineering the design till its up to his high level of standards, more prototyping, etc.

Misc. tools

Materials to make putter heads

Overhead

and i'm sure a whole bunch more...it really does add up.

Coming from my point of view...

I build commercial cabinets for a living with my father in law. These are the cabinets you see in doctors offices, hospitals, nurses stations, corian countertops, etc. We just bought and financed a CNC machine to produce our cabinet parts which I will be programming and running, along with shop drawings for architects to approve, so on and so forth. By no means did we purchase a top of the line machine but it still cost $90,000 for the machine. This does not include the software needed to run the machine as well as the software we need which is another $15k. Then you have a dust collection system that can vary from $1200 to $13k and more pending the specs you need for how your shop is set up. Material costs, labor costs, etc. I'm not surprised he is charging what he does. He has to cover running costs, material, paying off the machines, etc.

A single man doing all this work, making a quality product of which I have been able to see and use some of the putters that Raiders has, I know is worth the money he is charging.

Callaway Paradym Driver

Callaway Paradym 3w

Callaway Rogue 4H
Srixon ZX MKII combo 4-A
Cleveland RTX 6 54, 58
Swag Boss

From my understanding is those putters were to be used in a specific article....that article never happened. Yes future articles about Lambcrafted and or Tyson happened but not about the putters he sent. In my opinion since that article didn’t happen those putters were never “paid” for by any advertising or bartering agreement they had where those putters were supposed to be featured. As well MGS said they had that putter for something like 3.5 years.

Would be curious to know what happened to the other putter. Guessing they probably sold it without Tyson’s knowledge making it so they couldn’t return both putters.

from an ethics perspective, MGS shouldn't use products gifted to them as tools for profit to drive their "business". the ethics behind that is a little murky. (not to even mention the genuine nature of their reviews in the first place if they can offer such reviews and then automatically sell the goods they praise.) any reasonable person, upon reading the fiasco from face value, can doubt there was an understanding between TL & MGS that authorizes MGS to get putters and sell putters as a form of "payment" from TL. regardless, from TL's perspective it is clear that that was not the understanding.

Titleist - 917-D3, 8.5 - AD BB-6X
Titleist - 917-F, 15 - AD BB-7X
Titleist - 916 T-MB 2 Iron - AD DI-105x
BB&F Co - DW - CB, 4-P - TI AMT X100
BB&F Co - DW - 53 & 58
Lamb Crafted - Allendale
MacKenzie - Sugarloaf Walker

They call it gentlemen jack but that stuff still can burn you...

Now let us get back to making fun of m.brown for riding a midget horse...

23 hours and counting..

It’s my horse’s birthday so I thought I’d share...

cbf283876ecb1197400fac52cc2e2444.jpg

Titleist - 917-D3, 8.5 - AD BB-6X
Titleist - 917-F, 15 - AD BB-7X
Titleist - 916 T-MB 2 Iron - AD DI-105x
BB&F Co - DW - CB, 4-P - TI AMT X100
BB&F Co - DW - 53 & 58
Lamb Crafted - Allendale
MacKenzie - Sugarloaf Walker

So the IG post...adorable..less than 12 hours

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Sounds like a barter move - trade putter for publicity o what ever the article will provide.. At that point the putter becomes MGS property.

Im an artist, albeit not a very accomplished one. If I sell a print for X, my collector hopes that it will increase in value, lets say XXX. If that buyer then later sells the print, should the collector sell it for 1. X, or 2. XX, or 3. XXX? As the artist, the creator of that original piece of art, I have no say, nor would I want the collector to sell it for the original X, it would devalue my work. Instead, I would rather the collector get XXXX.

I think it's a good question because if Lamb went to small claims court, he may get the putter back because it's very difficult to prove that something is a 'gift.' It's much like some guy proposing to a woman and the woman accepts the engagement ring and then breaks off the relationship...the ring has to be returned to the man.

So unless Lamb/MGS had something in writing that states that they are giving MGS the putter...I think Lamb has a legit legal point in small claims court.

But that's besides the point...it's just not very tactful to do that to somebody. I get my fair share of products to review for my blog and there are no written rules with regards to giving it to me, but I've never re-sold something I was given free to review. To me it's a bit insulting to that company/person and even if I wrote a positive review it conflicts with me then going out and selling it. I will either keep it or give it back to the company/person.

MGS claims that they are unbiased and aren't paid to do reviews. But there's a conflict of interest when one company gives you something for free and then allows you to sell it for a profit over a company that doesn't want you to sell it for a profit. And MGS' original tweet made it sound like people were paying full retail price for a Lamb putter and Lamb was hounding them about selling it. It was very misleading.

And I like MGS and have for a while. But I just have to say I think they are in the wrong on this one. And it's a good way to start never getting free products from OEM's.

RH

Let's be honest, MGS is completely full of it - the "research" they use to substantiate their findings is total hogwash and I would never take anything they publish seriously nor would I expect them to abide by any kind of unwritten ethical obligation as laid out by RH above.

That being said, if putters given in these circumstances are not a gift or in exchange for goods/services then Lamb needs to insist upon something in writing clarifying the agreement between both parties. Otherwise it is MGS' property to do with as they please.

IMO Lamb is coming off poorly in this one. He is clearly offended that someone would have the audacity to sell - as opposed to treasure for their lifetime - one of HIS creations, and his responses reek of petulant hubris. Since he's copying the gameplan of the master himself, Tyson needs to ask himself: "WWSD"? I don't see Cameron getting bent out of shape when Monday qualifiers flip CT's on the bay.

Regardless of the details of the MGS/Lamb exchange, Mr Grumpy is spot on:

As the artist, the creator of that original piece of art, I have no say, nor would I want the collector to sell it for the original X, it would devalue my work. Instead, I would rather the collector get XXXX.

At the end of the day, whether or not he gets his way, his handling of this will have hurt his brand to anyone who may have been on the fence. Remaining silent, and letting MGS flip the putter for big $$$$ could have actually bolstered his brand: "I gave these guys a putter in exchange for publicity (the necessity or value of which is debatable), and they decided to sell it because it's worth that much in the open market."

what time is the release today (or time range I'm guessing)?

Though much is taken much abides;
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
- Lord Tennyson

That was lame. I was checking out with the ball marker in my cart, and when I say process order, sold out. Ugh. I thought they were preventing cart sniping? Oh well. Saved $.

It did that for me too, then I went back to the item and it didn't say sold out. Clicked it again and got one.

Callaway Paradym Driver

Callaway Paradym 3w

Callaway Rogue 4H
Srixon ZX MKII combo 4-A
Cleveland RTX 6 54, 58
Swag Boss

That was lame. I was checking out with the ball marker in my cart, and when I say process order, sold out. Ugh. I thought they were preventing cart sniping? Oh well. Saved $.

It did that for me too, then I went back to the item and it didn't say sold out. Clicked it again and got one.

Just tried again and it worked. Yay!

Ya, sort of disappointing given that the team wanted to work on that for future releases. Oh well. There will be more opportunities.

I'll live. Save my dough for the next batch of donuts. ;)

So I am aware of some of the back story behind this now infamous IG story post on Tyson's account. During the last putter release, one "gentleman" (I'll use this term loosely) purchased one of the putters that offers options to the owner to customize it their liking. Within a short period of time, this "gentleman" had a listing up on eBay offering up the putter he just paid for but with one caveat: a roughly $1k upcharge to get the customized putter. You tell the eBay "gentleman" what you wanted on the putter, this "gentleman" would then send this information to Tyson to stamp on said custom putter, ship putter to eBay "gentleman" who would then ship it to the eBay winner.

I know, best way I could try and explain it.

Long story short, The Lamb's caught wind of this quickly and were rightfully annoyed by this action. They refunded the eBay "gentleman" his money back which then meant that the eBay listing needed to be removed. The putter was then offered up to another individual who had been waiting for some time and attempted to purchase a putter during the release and was quite appreciative of the opportunity to receive the putter.

I feel some of the back story helps clarify the IG post from Tyson. I honestly don't think Tyson dislikes "flipping" or "flippers" per say but what this "gentleman" did was out of line.

It wasn't out of line for the eBay guy to sell the Putter. He has every right to offer up the Putter.

Lamb is trying to be the good guy, making sure that eveyone has a fair shot at getting his putters. But he doesn't really care about that. He's a businessman. That's why he's selling small pieces of metal for $50. He knows he can make money doing that and it's easier than making putters. It's the same reason he (and Scotty and others) love customizing things. They know that they can triple the price of a Putter just by stamping some initials and doing a custom paint fill.

Lastly, how old is this guy? Did he really write "sorry, not sorry"?! I thought only middle school kids said that.

Lame - wanted a doughnut marker (leather or even the lime berry) in the cart and inventory issue. Going to head out to Krispy Kreme now as they don’t have inventory issues like this. Edit - just made it there.

Though much is taken much abides;
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
- Lord Tennyson

Lame - wanted a doughnut marker (leather or even the lime berry) in the in the cart and inventory issue. Going to head out to Krispy Kreme now as they don’t have inventory issues like this.

I had a bunch of donuts in the cart along with the pop top and ended up ditching the donuts and getting the pop top.

Kinda regret not getting one of the donuts instead. If anyone got the Tiffany blue/ black donut or chocolate leather donut and wants to trade for the pop top let me know.