Tyson Lamb Putters & Crafts

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just checked out the site... Franken stitch cover is available again for anyone that didn’t get a chance to grab one.

All donuts and other markers were still sold out..

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

So I am aware of some of the back story behind this now infamous IG story post on Tyson's account. During the last putter release, one "gentleman" (I'll use this term loosely) purchased one of the putters that offers options to the owner to customize it their liking. Within a short period of time, this "gentleman" had a listing up on eBay offering up the putter he just paid for but with one caveat: a roughly $1k upcharge to get the customized putter. You tell the eBay "gentleman" what you wanted on the putter, this "gentleman" would then send this information to Tyson to stamp on said custom putter, ship putter to eBay "gentleman" who would then ship it to the eBay winner.

I know, best way I could try and explain it.

Long story short, The Lamb's caught wind of this quickly and were rightfully annoyed by this action. They refunded the eBay "gentleman" his money back which then meant that the eBay listing needed to be removed. The putter was then offered up to another individual who had been waiting for some time and attempted to purchase a putter during the release and was quite appreciative of the opportunity to receive the putter.

I feel some of the back story helps clarify the IG post from Tyson. I honestly don't think Tyson dislikes "flipping" or "flippers" per say but what this "gentleman" did was out of line.

It wasn't out of line for the eBay guy to sell the Putter. He has every right to offer up the Putter.

Lamb is trying to be the good guy, making sure that eveyone has a fair shot at getting his putters. But he doesn't really care about that. He's a businessman. That's why he's selling small pieces of metal for $50. He knows he can make money doing that and it's easier than making putters. It's the same reason he (and Scotty and others) love customizing things. They know that they can triple the price of a Putter just by stamping some initials and doing a custom paint fill.

Lastly, how old is this guy? Did he really write "sorry, not sorry"?! I thought only middle school kids said that.

29 i believe

Stoked I got some last night, could be wrong but it looks like theres some more markers up right now?

Yeah I noticed some random markers popping back up last night as well: Berry and chocolate markers.

TaylorMade QI10 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8TX

TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red 9TX

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4i - Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5 - KBS Tour 130X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 6-PW - DG TI X100

Mizuno T22 Raw 50* S, 55* D | TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback +

So I am aware of some of the back story behind this now infamous IG story post on Tyson's account. During the last putter release, one "gentleman" (I'll use this term loosely) purchased one of the putters that offers options to the owner to customize it their liking. Within a short period of time, this "gentleman" had a listing up on eBay offering up the putter he just paid for but with one caveat: a roughly $1k upcharge to get the customized putter. You tell the eBay "gentleman" what you wanted on the putter, this "gentleman" would then send this information to Tyson to stamp on said custom putter, ship putter to eBay "gentleman" who would then ship it to the eBay winner.

Long story short, The Lamb's caught wind of this quickly and were rightfully annoyed by this action. They refunded the eBay "gentleman" his money back which then meant that the eBay listing needed to be removed. The putter was then offered up to another individual who had been waiting for some time and attempted to purchase a putter during the release and was quite appreciative of the opportunity to receive the putter.

I feel some of the back story helps clarify the IG post from Tyson. I honestly don't think Tyson dislikes "flipping" or "flippers" per say but what this "gentleman" did was out of line.

It wasn't out of line for the eBay guy to sell the Putter. He has every right to offer up the Putter.

Lamb is trying to be the good guy, making sure that eveyone has a fair shot at getting his putters. But he doesn't really care about that. He's a businessman. That's why he's selling small pieces of metal for $50. He knows he can make money doing that and it's easier than making putters. It's the same reason he (and Scotty and others) love customizing things. They know that they can triple the price of a Putter just by stamping some initials and doing a custom paint fill.

Lastly, how old is this guy? Did he really write "sorry, not sorry"?! I thought only middle school kids said that.

No to everything above. I'm sure you think you know what you're talking about but this is literally the most off base thing I have read on this whole thread. Literally 100% wrong on the whole deal. And I'm not speculating....I'm speaking facts

No to everything above. I'm sure you think you know what you're talking about but this is literally the most off base thing I have read on this whole thread. Literally 100% wrong on the whole deal. And I'm not speculating....I'm speaking facts

The guy on EBay didn't have the right to sell the Putter?

Lamb isn't a businessman? He just sells $50 ball markers for fun? They are ball markers. Small pieces of metal and he makes a profit on those.

And for customization. Are you telling me that these custom putter makers don't know that people love custom stamps and overcharge for that?

Please let me know what I'm wrong about.

And since you know him. Does he really say "sorry, not sorry?" Or was that a joke? I hope he doesn't use YOLO as well. That would just be too much.

Lamb isn't a businessman? He just sells $50 ball markers for fun? They are ball markers. Small pieces of metal and he makes a profit on those.

And for customization. Are you telling me that these custom putter makers don't know that people love custom stamps and overcharge for that?

And since you know him. Does he really say "sorry, not sorry?" Or was that a joke? I hope he doesn't use YOLO as well. That would just be too much.

Ok let's start from the beginning. If the gentlemen waited for his putter and then flipped it yes he has every right to do with his property as he wishes, just like the putter maker (knowing said individual is trying to price gauge honest collectors) is within his rights to cancel the deal. For example if you are under contract to buy a house and then sell the house or try renting it out before you take possession the seller has every right to cancel the sale. You couldn't take money before you took possession, but I suppose real estate is a different beast.

Next. Everyone sells ball markers that are custom made for that price range. Do you know what a bar of copper costs on eBay? To cut it and hand stamp it also doesn't warrant $50 yet people are paying for the artist. Did the paint on the Picasso that just sold for $450,000,000 cost more then any other oil paint from a paint supply store? Nope. Paying for the artists time. Cameron charges north of $75 per ball marker.

Next. Handstamping. See above paragraph and re read.

Lastly. I'm 32 years old. With a wife and two kids. I say sorry I'm not sorry daily. Perhaps I rubbed fof on him.

Sorry I'm not sorry.

YOLO. (You obviously lack originality) as in I've heard this song before. My facts beat your feelings. That being said I hope you join us on the dark side. We love new members

That same argument can be said about the clothes you wear, car/ truck you drive and more.

People do not make stuff to lose money that is not a good plan for anyone.

Tyson stuff has taken off to the point his 50 bucks of metal at selling out in minutes.

If someone is a golf collector than they get it if not.. use a wood tee—best ball maker in the business.

protos F4

To respond to your first comment as I may not have explained the situation on eBay the best. The eBay "gentleman" had turned himself into a sort of non-agreed upon distributor for Lamb Crafted custom putter. If the situation was different with this eBay "gentleman", I would agree with your first response 100%. He would have every right to sell said putter. But that he was up-charging $1000 for doing no work on a non-completed putter is pretty low.

As to the rest of your comments, I am not as knowledgable to the business end of what Tyson / Scotty / Byron / Bettinardi / any putter maker does to say what the costs of operating day to day and what they should charge to keep the lights on and make a profit. I appreciate the creativity and finish Tyson does with his work and see no issue with him or any artist / machinist / skilled professional charging what they think they're worth based on current market.

I'm creeping on 40 and use "sorry, not sorry". So there's that too......

[size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Cobra F8+[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Adams Tight Lies Tour 14.5[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Cobra AMP 18[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Bridgestone J40 Combo [/font][/size]
[size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Callaway MP3 52/58[/font][/size]
[size=4][font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Tyson Lamb Custom Bridgeport[/font][/size]
[font="tahoma, geneva, sans-serif"]Vice Pro +[/font]

Ok let's start from the beginning. If the gentlemen waited for his putter and then flipped it yes he has every right to do with his property as he wishes, just like the putter maker (knowing said individual is trying to price gauge honest collectors) is within his rights to cancel the deal. For example if you are under contract to buy a house and then sell the house or try renting it out before you take possession the seller has every right to cancel the sale. You couldn't take money before you took possession, but I suppose real estate is a different beast.

Next. Everyone sells ball markers that are custom made for that price range. Do you know what a bar of copper costs on eBay? To cut it and hand stamp it also doesn't warrant $50 yet people are paying for the artist. Did the paint on the Picasso that just sold for $450,000,000 cost more then any other oil paint from a paint supply store? Nope. Paying for the artists time. Cameron charges north of $75 per ball marker.

Next. Handstamping. See above paragraph and re read.

Lastly. I'm 32 years old. With a wife and two kids. I say sorry I'm not sorry daily. Perhaps I rubbed fof on him.

Sorry I'm not sorry.

YOLO. (You obviously lack originality) as in I've heard this song before. My facts beat your feelings. That being said I hope you join us on the dark side. We love new members

Again, I'm not sure where I'm off base. You confirmed everything I said.

Yes, Lamb has the right to not deliver the putter if he so chooses. But he might want to that in writing before selling the Putter. If I buy a car from someone, there is nothing wrong w offering that car for sale prior to delivery. If there is a market for it, then the buyer has a right to take advantage of it. I'm surprised that Lamb is so offended by that. His business exists because of those types of practices.

As for his ball markers. I'm not against someone making money. I'm all for it. He should sell them for $500 is the market allows for that. But please stop pretending that he's different than everyone else. He sells those markers because people will buy them. It's an easy way to make money. The same way it's easy to make money buy doing some custom stamps. Custom stamps take very little effort, but people like him can charge more for it.

I'm all for making money. But this guy acts like he's different than people like Scotty. He's not. He's doing the same thing Scotty does with the Putter covers, ball markers, custom stamps etc.

Some of the subtle jabs like he shouldn’t say sorry not sorry could be looked at like an old man yelling get off my yard. ..

What a lot of people love about Tyson’s stuff is.. we know who machines, programs it, buffs, and who paints them (Tana aka Momma Lamb)

I don’t know who else does that.. For me, that’s why I’m a huge fan.

protos F4

Some of the subtle jabs like he shouldn’t say sorry not sorry could be looked at like an old man yelling get off my yard. ..

What a lot of people love about Tyson’s stuff is.. we know who machines, programs it, buffs, and who paints them (Tana aka Momma Lamb)

There are more than a few putter makers that do all the work.

Haha. I'm far from an old man. But I will make fun of someone for say "sorry, not sorry". My good friends can say it and I would make fun of them. And I will definitely make fun of someone saying in in the context of running their business.

And you should be a fan. He makes good stuff. And its important to know who makes his stuff. But does that mean that other Putter makers don't make their own putters? Are all of them outsourcing paintfill and buffing??

Some of the subtle jabs like he shouldnt say sorry not sorry could be looked at like an old man yelling get off my yard. ..

What a lot of people love about Tysons stuff is.. we know who machines, programs it, buffs, and who paints them (Tana aka Momma Lamb)

I dont know who else does that.. For me, thats why Im a huge fan.

Haha. I'm far from an old man. But I will make fun of someone for say "sorry, not sorry". My good friends can say it and I would make fun of them. And I will definitely make fun of someone saying in in the context of running their business.

And you should be a fan. He makes good stuff. And its important to know who makes his stuff. But does that mean that other Putter makers don't make their own putters? Are all of them outsourcing paintfill and buffing??

That sir I’m not sure about. Imagine some do but not all. Can we say Scotty machines, buffs, etc all of his putters.

Can we say bettinardi? Toulon?

Like I said.. I’m not sure but I know tyson does.

Now mankrafted, machine, low tide, etc guys like that do.

This is not an argument of his is greater or not.

For me, enjoying seeing his work, listening to his stories and more. I’m more sold on Tyson than his stuff— it’s great stuff but Tyson is what sold me on it.

So once again..

Not saying anything bad about any other oem or putter company but like taylormade or Callaway.. you always have fans of one or another

protos F4

Not at all. But bob bettinardi and Scotty Cameron aren't physically machining their own putters and making each putter that come out of their shop. Scotty doesn't even make the collectors market sticks anymore. And bob is a machine shop owner. Bob is in the putter world because he used to mill all Scottys putters before the relationship fell apart.

I think they both come off rather poorly IMHO.

Whether entitled to or not, I personally think selling a 'test drive' is rather tawdry and while I will cut TL some slack because of his youth, I think in situations like this it is always better to respond than react. :-)

Rob

I agree with you about how BOTH parties came out looking bad, childish and unprofessional IMHO. I had the curiosity bug quickly smashed by Tysons JPEG about flipping his products so the likelihood of purchasing any of his products is none (I am positive that wont hurt him) just like I will not go back to MGS, which also will not hurt them.

I read an evaluation here in GolfWRX where if memory serves me right, it stated that the putters would NOT be returned to the makers, what happened to them?

Not at all. But bob bettinardi and Scotty Cameron aren't physically machining their own putters and making each putter that come out of their shop. Scotty doesn't even make the collectors market sticks anymore. And bob is a machine shop owner. Bob is in the putter world because he used to mill all Scottys putters before the relationship fell apart.

To be fair, saying Bob Bettinardi is just a machine shop owner is a huge over simplification and is quite misleading. Bob did originally get into the business machining putters for Scotty and he did start his own brand after that relationship broke down however Bob's focus is entirely on his Golf club company. The part of the business that machines anything other than a golf club is run by another family member in another machine shop.

Bettinardi Golf is a pretty big operation and they design and machine/finish everything in house and that's something we should applaud them for. Bob might not be doing the paintfill himself (sounds like Tyson doesnt either...) but it's all done in house unlike Scotty, Odyssey, Toulon etc.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

Some of the subtle jabs like he shouldn't say sorry not sorry could be looked at like an old man yelling get off my yard. ..

What a lot of people love about Tyson's stuff is.. we know who machines, programs it, buffs, and who paints them (Tana aka Momma Lamb)

I don't know who else does that.. For me, that's why I'm a huge fan.

To be fair, saying Bob Bettinardi is just a machine shop owner is a huge over simplification and is quite misleading. Bob did originally get into the business machining putters for Scotty and he did start his own brand after that relationship broke down however Bob's focus is entirely on his Golf club company. The part of the business that machines anything other than a golf club is run by another family member in another machine shop.

Bettinardi Golf is a pretty big operation and they design and machine/finish everything in house and that's something we should applaud them for. Bob might not be doing the paintfill himself (sounds like Tyson doesnt either...) but it's all done in house unlike Scotty, Odyssey, Toulon etc.

Sorry Ari,

But this information regarding the fact that ALL Bettinardi machining and finishing is done in-house is inaccurate and misleading. They outsource the bulk of their finish work to a SoCal vendor as well as some machining being done in the same part of the country.

I've been around this game long enough to have the facts going back before Mr Cameron's name was anywhere near household name. The SoCal operation does, and has done for quite some time, the finish work for a lot of the putter makers here in the USA.

The machining that is done is done by a very high quality company who also makes putters for guys like Piretti, EvnRoll, Whitlam and a few others.

I applaud Tyson for keeping as much work on his putters in-house as he can. Knowing that the majority of his work is with 303 SS no doubt makes a ton of this possible. It is when you start with carbon steel and having to have plating or black oxide work done, that you have to make a decision to tool-up with chemicals or invest in tanks. For even the largest of manufacturers, the smart move for those operations is to find the best companies who do that work and give them your work to handle. Keep doing what you do best and let others show their talents thru your work. It is a system that can prove incredibly valuable as you grow.

There is NO SHAME in having work done outside of your facility, if you have chosen a company who does some of the best work in the business. Just one Mann's opinion.

LaMont in AZ

Some of the subtle jabs like he shouldn't say sorry not sorry could be looked at like an old man yelling get off my yard. ..

What a lot of people love about Tyson's stuff is.. we know who machines, programs it, buffs, and who paints them (Tana aka Momma Lamb)

let me say please dont think i was knocking Bob. he is an incredible guy and a craftsman. i was in no way, shape or form attempting to put down Bob or Scotty. i was simply making a point about physical work. no disrespect to either of those gentlemen.

Sorry Ari,

But this information regarding the fact that ALL Bettinardi machining and finishing is done in-house is inaccurate and misleading. They outsource the bulk of their finish work to a SoCal vendor as well as some machining being done in the same part of the country.

I've been around this game long enough to have the facts going back before Mr Cameron's name was anywhere near household name. The SoCal operation does, and has done for quite some time, the finish work for a lot of the putter makers here in the USA.

The machining that is done is done by a very high quality company who also makes putters for guys like Piretti, EvnRoll, Whitlam and a few others.

I applaud Tyson for keeping as much work on his putters in-house as he can. Knowing that the majority of his work is with 303 SS no doubt makes a ton of this possible. It is when you start with carbon steel and having to have plating or black oxide work done, that you have to make a decision to tool-up with chemicals or invest in tanks. For even the largest of manufacturers, the smart move for those operations is to find the best companies who do that work and give them your work to handle. Keep doing what you do best and let others show their talents thru your work. It is a system that can prove incredibly valuable as you grow.

There is NO SHAME in having work done outside of your facility, if you have chosen a company who does some of the best work in the business. Just one Mann's opinion.

LaMont in AZ

Fair points LaMont I actually didn't mean that he did all the "finishing" in house. Even though I did type exactly that ha! (it's late here!)

Your right with carbon steel that's just not possible or even desirable, there's lots of places that do some great fishing work and no shame at all in putting that to use. It is my understanding that Bettinardi is doing all their milling in house I apologize if that is not correct. My point was Bob is more than just a machine shop owner, designs and mills his own putters and does MOST of the work on his putters in house which should be applauded and is much different than bigger OEMs.

I also applaud Tyson for keeping work in house and enjoy seeing the stuff he is putting out.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

I read an evaluation here in GolfWRX where if memory serves me right, it stated that the putters would NOT be returned to the makers, what happened to them?

I believe Lamb's expectation is that they are to be stored in a hyperbaric display case and the owner reads them Shakespearean love sonnets on a nightly basis.

Sorry Ari,

LaMont in AZ

I would believe Bettinardi sends work out for finishes but I don't believe he outsources milling.

So if I order a putter, say black oxide, Lamb will mill the putter to my specs, shape it, apply the finish,etc,,,etc ? nothing is outsourced?

So if I order a putter, say black oxide, Lamb will mill the putter to my specs, shape it, apply the finish,etc,,,etc ? nothing is outsourced?

It is not outsourced but done all in his shop.

Now requesting a finish would be fully custom... he even makes his own finishes as well.

protos F4

So what’s the benefit of ‘in house all the way’ vs. outsourcing?

How would Tyson’s black oxide done (or or Bob or anyone else’s) in house be better than if he were to outsource it to someplace like BOS?

Why would in house be more desirable than outsourcing if the outsourcing was done with a reputable vendor?