Most Over Rated Course on the Major Rotation

JD3

To those who think my beloved Bethpage Black is overrated:

-You probably didn't listen to the warning sign that basically says you are going to have a bad time if you aren't any good. This is what I am interpreting from your comments. You probably tried to tip the course, in which case yes, it is very long and challenging. But hey, if you play from the whites or reds on a year when they aren't hosting a tournament, the rough and fescue are not bad at all, and the length is more than manageable.

-Bethpage Black is a Tillinghast masterpiece. Each hole stands out in my mind as memorable and challenging in their own ways. The bunkering is gorgeous and the hole design is stunning.

-It is a MUNICIPLE course and a damn good one at that. What is a better major venue than one you can try out yourself?

-Every pro who plays there respects the hell out of it.

Bethpage is undoubtedly one of the greatest and most challenging tracks in the country, and a terrific major venue at that.

Rant over.

I understand and agree with everything you said, I have never played BB but I would love to one day. I just think that sign is lame, it makes you think you really are gonna hurt yourself if you are not good like on a ski slope :D

-You probably didn't listen to the warning sign that basically says you are going to have a bad time if you aren't any good. This is what I am interpreting from your comments. You probably tried to tip the course, in which case yes, it is very long and challenging. But hey, if you play from the whites or reds on a year when they aren't hosting a tournament, the rough and fescue are not bad at all, and the length is more than manageable.

-Bethpage Black is a Tillinghast masterpiece. Each hole stands out in my mind as memorable and challenging in their own ways. The bunkering is gorgeous and the hole design is stunning.

-It is a MUNICIPLE course and a damn good one at that. What is a better major venue than one you can try out yourself?

Bethpage is undoubtedly one of the greatest and most challenging tracks in the country, and a terrific major venue at that.

Rant over.

I understand and agree with everything you said, I have never played BB but I would love to one day. I just think that sign is lame, it makes you think you really are gonna hurt yourself if you are not good like on a ski slope :D

Here is what you need to think of. In the 80's I was a +4 everywhere. And i was long at the time. Keep in mind the bombers on Tour back then hit it 280. If you hit it 240-260 like the best club players , you have ZERO chance, ZERO +ZERO, of breaking 80 from the tips at the Black.......Today, when every tool on the planet can almost pop 300 with a cut swing, the sign is irrelevant........When that sign was first hung, when i was a kid in NY, it was just a warning that you better 'bring some game", or you'll get beat up!!.........

Rant over.

Played it probably 100 times, great track.

Rant over.

Honestly the sign is there for 1 reason and 1 reason only. If the rough is up and youre playing the wrong tees you will lose 6-8 balls at least. i played with a guy who walked off after 9 because he lost 10 balls.We told him to move up a few sets of tees but he was fuming and refused. there are 3/4 forced carrys just to get to the fairway that some cant even make so its logical it being a muni and trying to speed up play that they would have signs and marshalls stating this

Rant over.

Here is what you need to think of. In the 80's I was a +4 everywhere. And i was long at the time. Keep in mind the bombers on Tour back then hit it 280. If you hit it 240-260 like the best club players , you have ZERO chance, ZERO +ZERO, of breaking 80 from the tips at the Black.......Today, when every tool on the planet can almost pop 300 with a cut swing, the sign is irrelevant........When that sign was first hung, when i was a kid in NY, it was just a warning that you better 'bring some game", or you'll get beat up!!.........

well said.

Rant over.

So? What should a Carnoustie sign have said? WARNING DANGER OF DEATH AHEAD? :D

I think Pinehurst Number 2 looks like s***. The #2 is fitting for that place.

Couldn't agree more with this.

Titleist TSi2 10*, Ventus Velo Red 6S
Cobra SZ Tour 5W, Oban Kiyoshi HB 75
Cobra F9 hybrid 19*, Atmos TS 6S

New Level NLU-01 Driving Iron, 21*, Mitsubishi MMT UT 105 TX
Srixon 585/785/Z-Forged, 4-PW, Aerotech SF 110X
TM MG2, 50*/8 and 56*/12, KBS High Rev 2.0 115
Cobra King MIM Wedge, 60*, KBS $-Taper 120

Logan Olson Timeless, 35 inches, SS 1.0 pistol. 

Rant over.

There are 3 holes where even some Tour pros BARELY reached the fairway from the back tees.........lol

Rant over.

There are 3 holes where even some Tour pros BARELY reached the fairway from the back tees.........lol

Hard to explain the black course to people.

You can stand there watching people come in and they *all* look like they just got their @ss kicked. Heads down, exausted.

Hard to explain the black course to people.

You can stand there watching people come in and they *all* look like they just got their @ss kicked. Heads down, exausted.

As I said before my friend, let's play Carnoustie together, same a** kicking (if not more) but no silly warnings ;)

i got nothin --- i love BPB. it's the only course i've played that i tell people "it's the kind of course that you get through 9, look at your scorecard and go, whew, i only shot that?...then you stand on 10 tee and go....effin a, i gotta go 9 more"

...then 2 hours later you want a cold beer, a good hard smoke and a nap. she'll do you dirty, but promise you'll have a smile on your face when you're done.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Rant over.

So it looks like the rating is 78.1 and the slope is 152. Tough course for sure. My home course is 75.7/146.

Do you think it plays tougher than 78.1?

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Any PGA champ course.

St. Andrews is awesome, totally different style of golf. Can't judge until you've played it. But that's just my opinion :)

If St Andrews was in the middle of Iowa, they'd be lucky to get $7 for greens fees because of the course conditions. IMO

Greg

If St. Andrews was in the middle of Iowa, the course conditions would be nothing like they are ;)

Regarding Greens fees, I have no idea~

Of course, as always, just my .03 worth?

Cheers,

RP

It's about an hour's drive for me and it is quite disappointing. Yes, it's beautiful. Yes you feel the air and the history on the first tee. But as a distinctly average golfer t's not that difficult a course. If you hit the ball straight as I do, there's little trouble. Few greens are nightmares to read but it's an enjoyable course. Wasn't impressed, wasn't as challenging as I thought it would or should be.

Any PGA champ course.

St. Andrews is awesome, totally different style of golf. Can't judge until you've played it. But that's just my opinion :)

If St Andrews was in the middle of Iowa, they'd be lucky to get $7 for greens fees because of the course conditions. IMO

Greg

If St. Andrews was in the middle of Iowa, the course conditions would be nothing like they are ;)

Cheers,

RP

It's about an hour's drive for me and it is quite disappointing. Yes, it's beautiful. Yes you feel the air and the history on the first tee. But as a distinctly average golfer t's not that difficult a course. If you hit the ball straight as I do, there's little trouble. Few greens are nightmares to read but it's an enjoyable course. Wasn't impressed, wasn't as challenging as I thought it would or should be.

It's been there for centuries and stood the test of time. You simply cant compare it to later courses that were adapted to the equipment. Bethpage with the elevation changes would have been unplayable back then.

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

Any PGA champ course.

Greg

Cheers,

RP

It's been there for centuries and stood the test of time. You simply cant compare it to later courses that were adapted to the equipment. Bethpage with the elevation changes would have been unplayable back then.

Has it stood the test of time? I suppose it has at least for us. I look forward to playing it.

That being said, my memory of the last open at St Andrews was they had two choices, wedge fest when the wind laid down or unplayable when the wind blew.

It's still all that it has been for me and my buddies but does it still hold up as a championship course?

Rant over.

You likely are seeing as many greens are 15 to 20 feet above the fairway with forced carries over rough/deep deep bunkers and 25 yard fairways on the vast majority of the holes.

Ping i20 9.5* Project X Black 6.0
Taylormade R15 15* Fujikura FUEL 70 S
Adams Pro Dhy 18* Aldila Tour Blue 80S
John Letters Tour Black Master Model 4-PW S300
John Letters Tour Black 52*,56*,60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Metal X Milled #1, 34.5"

Any PGA champ course.

Greg

Can't quite read your tone but that sounds like an incredibly ignorant comment . Explain to me how you think the old course is in poor condition ?

I walked all 18 holes the Sunday before the Scottish Open (the course was closed so I walked it and took photos of each hole) and there was at least 100+ divots per every fairway and the greens were in really bad shape. Lots of bare ground in play. It looked very much like a very abused muni. So the fact that I was there recently, walked the course and have been in the golf business for 48 years (34 as a PGA Golf professional), I think it was based on eye witnessed fact and not so much an "incredibly ignorant comment".

But I did say it was my opinion. The first time Sam Snead saw St Andrews he said "we would't even grow cow beets on land that looked like this place"

Greg

I'd still play it.

OK, don't ban me for this comment (lol), but I think the final 2 holes at Augusta are overated. There's many other tour stops that have a more dramatic closing holes. Don't get me wrong, I love Augusta, but 17 and 18 to me are just, meh. Hole 15 would make a more dramatic finish if it were logistically possible, (probably not). I'm probably the only one who thinks this though.

OK, don't ban me for this comment (lol), but I think the final 2 holes at Augusta are overated. There's many other tour stops that have a more dramatic closing holes. Don't get me wrong, I love Augusta, but 17 and 18 to me are just, meh. Hole 15 would make a more dramatic finish if it were logistically possible, (probably not). I'm probably the only one who thinks this though.

Ask Kenny Perry if he thinks 17 & 18 are overrated from 2009

G430 LST 9°  Autoflex505x
SIM 15° RDX Blue 70TX

Cobra King Tec 19° hybrid RDX Black 9-6.5
Mizuno 245 Modus120x
Vokey SM6 50,55,60
Tank Cruiser #1

Carnoustie. End thread:) Totally overrated.

Played it in '09 and didn't rate it. Played it again in '11, convinced I "Just didn't get it." Again, not impressed. Why?

1) It has trees FFS! Holes 8, 9 and 10 feature them and the course runs through/near a newish residential area. I didn't come all the way to Scotland for that. It destroys the aesthetic for me.

2) Feels like it's no where near the ocean. Sure it's in the distance, probably as the crow flies, not that far, but it doesn't feel like it is.

OK, not a bad course...there are some great holes--particularly 17 and 18. But it is really overrated for me.

i got nothin --- i love BPB. it's the only course i've played that i tell people "it's the kind of course that you get through 9, look at your scorecard and go, whew, i only shot that?...then you stand on 10 tee and go....effin a, i gotta go 9 more"

...then 2 hours later you want a cold beer, a good hard smoke and a nap. she'll do you dirty, but promise you'll have a smile on your face when you're done.

LOLOL.......But you end up wanting more tomorrow!........

Carnoustie. End thread:) Totally overrated.

Played it in '09 and didn't rate it. Played it again in '11, convinced I "Just didn't get it." Again, not impressed. Why?

1) It has trees FFS! Holes 8, 9 and 10 feature them and the course runs through/near a newish residential area. I didn't come all the way to Scotland for that. It destroys the aesthetic for me.

2) Feels like it's no where near the ocean. Sure it's in the distance, probably as the crow flies, not that far, but it doesn't feel like it is.

OK, not a bad course...there are some great holes--particularly 17 and 18. But it is really overrated for me.

I loved Carnoustie. Played there four years ago.

Any PGA champ course.

Greg

Of course, as always, just my .03 worth

Cheers,

RP

I had a completely different experience. Absolutely loved St. Andrews.

You are correct about the difficulty, though: we played on a day with only 10 mph winds, and it was not very difficult.