2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Mizuno jpx 900 forged

Jlb123

I heard these we forged with unicorn horn dust added in. Is this true?

No. Mizuno would never harm any animals, real or mythical, during the manufacturing of it's clubs. They do however use stardust and pfm during the forging process and afterwards each head is dipped in water from a magic well that sits atop a hidden mountain.

• Replies 831
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is the ballflight (in regards to height) with these? I've read some reports that say they are a low launching head. I don't hit the ball very high and like the current height I get out of my Ping G30's but looking for a more compact head with less offset. Thanks.

I have no issues getting these airborne. For me, (and I can't speak for everyone) with the PX LZ shaft, it launched nice and high.

What's wrong with badges? Do they effect the way the club performs or do you not like the look when their sitting in you bag?

The latter... I just wish the Forged mirrored the Tour version a little more. The Tours don't sport badges and they just look a lot cleaner to me. The badges will not keep me from purchasing them though.

I've actually been wondering if they were weighted badges.

Yall think its a real badge or just paint like the Nike VPC? Who's gonna go first?

Sim max driver
915 4w
913 hybrid
C300 4 iron...Staff Model blade 5-P
Vokey wedges

SpiderX

TP5

Response from Mizuno:

Thank you for contacting Mizuno USA. Unfortunately removing the badges on the irons will change the weight of the club heads and change the sound/feel of the club which will effect the performance of the irons. We do not recommend removing them. Please feel free to respond with any further questions.

Best Regards,

Glad I didn't try that out!!

I'm giving myself an early Christmas present for 2017 so I decided to get fitted for these clubs.

I was given 3 shafts, as recommended by the shaft optimiser, to have a hit around with before going back to finish the fitting. I went to an indoor virtual golf range today and had a hit with all 3 shafts and compared against my current irons.

Averages below:

Current irons - 156m distance, 142m carry. Spin 4,785.

Shaft 1 - 152.6m distance, 139.4m carry. Spin 4,800.

Shaft 2 - 151.5m distance, 139.2m carry. Spin 4,760.

Shaft 3 - just couldn't hit this properly.

My current irons are half a degree stronger in loft so I expected more distance from them. However, is the additional 4/5 metres about right for half a degree of loft? My gapping is about 10 metres per 4 degrees with my current set, so it appears that half a degree should be around 1.25m in distance? The carry distance between current irons and shaft 1 is 2.6m which seems close enough.

My spin rates for all shafts seem low. Can I put the 4,700 - 4,800 spin rates down to using a low spin ball? From what I've been reading here, I should be getting around 6,000 with a 6 iron.

Dispersion - I was hitting them left all day. I plan to go hit at an outdoor range over the next few days. I don't know what it is about this indoor virtual golf place but the lights are dim and it's hard to see the ball. I guess it is set up more for a party situation.

Short story is I guess that I won't be getting more distance with this new set even though I am being fitted, notwithstanding the loft difference.

Please provide some additional information on your current set - brand, model, shaft, etc and also which shafts you were trying in the 900 forged. As the companies have designed clubs to go further and further, what you have currently could possibly be longer (certainly showed up in the #'s above), but new clubs are not always about distance. Feel, dispersion, feeling good about ourselves for having new sticks, etc. If you are looking for distance only there are better choices in the non forged market that should definitely do this for you. In regards to the spin rates, I would use the #'s above as a comparison vs. actuals. Without knowing the type of monitor you were working on, it might be registering low. It looks like the spin rates on your current and the new are dead on, so if you are happy with the holding power of the old ones, the new ones should hold greens just as well.

Once you have a chance to hit them outdoors, go back to your fitter and let them know your questions and concerns. If your current gamers are better for YOU and YOUR GAME, they should probably stay in the bag. That being said, it is always really nice to have new and shiny (in the case of the 900 forged a matte finish) to play with.

Good Luck and have fun with the experience!!

Ping G430 10K w/ Chrome Tour 2.0
Ping G430 3W  

Ping G410 3H, 4H

Ping i525 6-PW Project X IO
Cleveland CBX 2 48*
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56*
LAB Mezz Max 

Alphard V2 wheels

I'm giving myself an early Christmas present for 2017 so I decided to get fitted for these clubs.

I was given 3 shafts, as recommended by the shaft optimiser, to have a hit around with before going back to finish the fitting. I went to an indoor virtual golf range today and had a hit with all 3 shafts and compared against my current irons.

Averages below:

My current irons are half a degree stronger in loft so I expected more distance from them. However, is the additional 4/5 metres about right for half a degree of loft? My gapping is about 10 metres per 4 degrees with my current set, so it appears that half a degree should be around 1.25m in distance? The carry distance between current irons and shaft 1 is 2.6m which seems close enough.

My spin rates for all shafts seem low. Can I put the 4,700 - 4,800 spin rates down to using a low spin ball? From what I've been reading here, I should be getting around 6,000 with a 6 iron.

Dispersion - I was hitting them left all day. I plan to go hit at an outdoor range over the next few days. I don't know what it is about this indoor virtual golf place but the lights are dim and it's hard to see the ball. I guess it is set up more for a party situation.

Short story is I guess that I won't be getting more distance with this new set even though I am being fitted, notwithstanding the loft difference.

I might even go back and retry shafts not recommended by the optimizer. My results for instance were quite contrary to it's recommendations. Also did you try the hot metals as well as the forged? Many have been surprised by how good the hot metals worked for them.

But if the results don't vary... I'd give myself a different XMas gift, perhaps different irons even. I really like the JPX 900's but there are others too!

The past few weeks, I have been torn between getting the AP2’s and the 900 Forged. I bet I have hit 1,000 balls over the past few weeks at the golf store. They were neck and neck, IMO. Both are such great irons. Now, keep in mind, due to the loft differences the AP2’s were about a half a club shorter for me, but I wasn’t looking for a distance iron. I don’t have an ego problem, I’ll drop down a club to get my distance. Anyway… I decided to go with the AP2s…. until I went to place the order.

Long story short, I went through the fitting process and based on my swing speed, tempo, release, blah, blah, blah… the shaft optimizer spits out the KBS CTaper Lite in X-Stiff as my best fit (a shaft I had not tried during my range sessions). I really like the Golf Pride MMC Plus 4 grips so I was going to get those as well. So, to land this plane… to my surprise, both the shaft and grips were upcharges from Titleist. $25 per shaft and $9 per grip, totaling $238 difference, based on 4-PW option. $238 more for the AP2’s!!

So, based on that, I went with the 900’s. Screw Titleist. :-)

I did get the fiter to put the CTaper in the 900 head and let me hit some shots. I must say, it's a very nice shaft. I love how I can feel the head of the club throughout the whole swing, it doesn't get lost like a lot of the lighter/faster head/shaft combo's. I was pleasantly surprised at how well I liked the shaft. Looking forward to my new sticks!!

The Recoil 95/110 is $537.60 more per set in the AP2's... so I didn't even consider them as an option. That's just stupid for a club already priced over 1K for a set.

Wow, that’s just ridiculous.

I get all my gear from a small mom and pop shop. They are fantastic. Been in the business for ever and are very nice and knowledgeable guys. After I decided to go with the Mizuno’s he started telling me about how Mizuno is in the business of being a custom club fitter, and that’s where a lot of other companies fall short. Mizuno would rather fit you with clubs that actually fit your swing, sell them to you at the advertised price, than to recommend you for one set of shafts and upcharge you; then you change your mind and go with the stock shafts because they’re cheaper. So, essentially, you’re not getting the best fitted club for your swing, because you’re trying to save money. You should be swinging shaft A because it fits your swing, but instead you go with shaft B because it’s cheaper.

Made total sense to me! Especially after getting all that I needed for my order at no additional cost.

The past few weeks, I have been torn between getting the AP2’s and the 900 Forged. I bet I have hit 1,000 balls over the past few weeks at the golf store. They were neck and neck, IMO. Both are such great irons. Now, keep in mind, due to the loft differences the AP2’s were about a half a club shorter for me, but I wasn’t looking for a distance iron. I don’t have an ego problem, I’ll drop down a club to get my distance. Anyway… I decided to go with the AP2s…. until I went to place the order.

Long story short, I went through the fitting process and based on my swing speed, tempo, release, blah, blah, blah… the shaft optimizer spits out the KBS CTaper Lite in X-Stiff as my best fit (a shaft I had not tried during my range sessions). I really like the Golf Pride MMC Plus 4 grips so I was going to get those as well. So, to land this plane… to my surprise, both the shaft and grips were upcharges from Titleist. $25 per shaft and $9 per grip, totaling $238 difference, based on 4-PW option. $238 more for the AP2’s!!

So, based on that, I went with the 900’s. Screw Titleist. :-)

I did get the fiter to put the CTaper in the 900 head and let me hit some shots. I must say, it's a very nice shaft. I love how I can feel the head of the club throughout the whole swing, it doesn't get lost like a lot of the lighter/faster head/shaft combo's. I was pleasantly surprised at how well I liked the shaft. Looking forward to my new sticks!!

I've said it in another thread, but Titleist is ridiculous. At around $1,500 or so for AP2s I would definitely be looking elsewhere or just say screw it and buy PXG's. They are charging the same or more for their clubs and not giving many upgrade options at no charge.

I find Mizuno irons are softer feeling than Titleist and the turf interaction is better, so I think you will be happy with the 900 forged.

Please provide some additional information on your current set - brand, model, shaft, etc and also which shafts you were trying in the 900 forged. As the companies have designed clubs to go further and further, what you have currently could possibly be longer (certainly showed up in the #'s above), but new clubs are not always about distance. Feel, dispersion, feeling good about ourselves for having new sticks, etc. If you are looking for distance only there are better choices in the non forged market that should definitely do this for you. In regards to the spin rates, I would use the #'s above as a comparison vs. actuals. Without knowing the type of monitor you were working on, it might be registering low. It looks like the spin rates on your current and the new are dead on, so if you are happy with the holding power of the old ones, the new ones should hold greens just as well.

Once you have a chance to hit them outdoors, go back to your fitter and let them know your questions and concerns. If your current gamers are better for YOU and YOUR GAME, they should probably stay in the bag. That being said, it is always really nice to have new and shiny (in the case of the 900 forged a matte finish) to play with.

Good Luck and have fun with the experience!!

Yes, I agree. It's not all about distance even though it would be nice to have. I quite like the look of the 900F and I've been using MP33s as my practice clubs so I've grown to like Mizunos.

My current gamers are RSI 1s, game improvers, so easier to get the ball up and on mis-hits. Shaft on them is the stock standard REAX R 90 grams. I wasn't fit for these.

The shafts I've tried for the 900F were:

Shaft 1 - KBS Tour 90 S

Shaft 2 - XP105 S

I've hit the 900F at a demo day before. It felt good using a R shaft. I've been told that the above shafts are in between R and S which is suited to my swing speed. I will give them another go at a different place and see what numbers I get this time.

Cheers,

Bug

Averages below:

I might even go back and retry shafts not recommended by the optimizer. My results for instance were quite contrary to it's recommendations. Also did you try the hot metals as well as the forged? Many have been surprised by how good the hot metals worked for them.

But if the results don't vary... I'd give myself a different XMas gift, perhaps different irons even. I really like the JPX 900's but there are others too!

I'm going to give the recommended shafts another go to see what numbers I get.

Yes, I've hit the HM and they do feel good but I've got a set of GI irons already. The forged will fit nicely between them and my MP33s. I've also hit the Apex forged. They look great but I just didn't like the feel of them.

Cheers,

Bug

[

Yes, I agree. It's not all about distance even though it would be nice to have. I quite like the look of the 900F and I've been using MP33s as my practice clubs so I've grown to like Mizunos.

My current gamers are RSI 1s, game improvers, so easier to get the ball up and on mis-hits. Shaft on them is the stock standard REAX R 90 grams. I wasn't fit for these.

Shaft 1 - KBS Tour 90 S

Shaft 2 - XP105 S

I've hit the 900F at a demo day before. It felt good using a R shaft. I've been told that the above shafts are in between R and S which is suited to my swing speed. I will give them another go at a different place and see what numbers I get this time.

Cheers,

Bug

Given the 2 shafts you mention - did you try Nippon Modus 105? I thought it it was a significantly better shaft than XP105. Smoother and better ball flight. Just as easy to load.

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

[

Shaft 1 - KBS Tour 90 S

Shaft 2 - XP105 S

Cheers,

Bug

Given the 2 shafts you mention - did you try Nippon Modus 105? I thought it it was a significantly better shaft than XP105. Smoother and better ball flight. Just as easy to load.

That was the third recommended shaft but for some reason I just couldn't hit it yesterday. I have previously hit it at a demo day and the ball flight was a little draw. I felt the XP105 was quite hard on the ball. Maybe it's all in my head!

Hey Bug,

Make sure to try the Project X LZ steel shafts. I have them in my JPX900 forged irons and it is the best head/shaft combo that I have owned.

I also own the LZ/900F combo and can confirm: it's a very strong combo.

Cobra LTD X

Titleist TSi2 3W

PXG Hybrid 17/22

Srixon ZX5 5 iron

Srixon ZX7  6-PW

Ping Glide Wedges 2.0 50/54/58

Mizuno M Craft I or IV

Thanks for the responses and suggestions. Appreciate it, particularly as I am going through a fitting for the first time ever. Here are new numbers (round 2) from re-hitting these shafts today.

Current irons 0.5 degree stronger loft

Round 1 - 156.0m distance, 142m carry. Spin 4,785.

Round 2 - 157.7m distance, 150.1m carry, 6,108 spin

KBS Tour 90 S

Round 1 - 152.6m distance, 139.4m carry. Spin 4,800.

Round 2 - 159.3m distance, 150.5 carry, 5,712 spin.

XP105 S

Round 1 - 151.5m distance, 139.2m carry. Spin 4,760.

Round 2 - 156.3m distance, 149.2 carry, 5,949 spin.

NS Pro Modus 105 R

Round 1 - just couldn't hit this properly first time round

Round 2 - 155.5m distance, 148.7 carry, 6,364 spin.

Based on the Round 1 spin numbers, I think it's best to disregard them as they show a shorter carry but massive roll out (12 to 15 metres) to total distance for a 6 iron.

The distances now all look very similar, and I am happier with these results, given that my current irons are half a degree stronger.

Dispersion was best on the KBS, then the XP and finally the Modus. I preferred the feel of the Modus and the KBS.

I will see if I can get the Project X LZ to try as suggested above by a few of you. Am thinking flex would be either 5.0 or 5.5 to be comparable to the shafts that I am currently testing?

Cheers,

Bug

The shaft I chose for my 900f was the stiff LZ tour graphite. It was number 5 in the DNA shaft option for me. The dispersion & total distance was way better than the Nippon, KBS Lite & the other one that were in the top 3 selections. I have not received them yet, but hopefully real life testing will prove me & the fitter correct in choosing them. :)