2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Mizuno jpx 900 forged

Jlb123

anyone try these with AMT Shafts? Think it would be a great fit!

I hit the amt forged on the range with regular range balls. They felt really good. I was shocked in a good way about the feel and the flight. It seemed to fly just as high of me as the nippon 950 and modus 105. Course the amt was r300 and the other two were stiff. The amt seemed more accurate foresults me. Also hit the cally taper lite, project x lz and xp 105.

Between all of those for me the amt and modus 105 were the best. If I was ordering I'd order the amt. The reoils were pretty nice as well. I still was to hit the new srixon before deciding though.

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

• Replies 831
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Received my set (5-GW) last night. I'm really impressed by the look of the short irons and wedges. A huge improvement over the 825 Pro's that I had a few years ago. Way to go Mizuno.

Playing a number of rounds the next few days, looking forward to getting these out on the course.

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

What kind of spin numbers are you getting for mid-irons? In the "mid handicapper" video linked earlier, Rob was spinning the JPX 900 forged 7-iron at about 4800. That's pretty low; I like to see about 7000 on my 7-iron (ideally, no roll out at all on greens!). Irons are all about accuracy, and the lower the spin, the more difficult it is to control distance.

I'm sorry I don't remember exactly. I just remember getting on average at least 500+ more with the jpx 900. But I'm def not a high spinner like you.

Played five rounds over the last week with my new JPX 900 Forged, here’s my take:

My set is 5-GW, with the Nippon Modus 105. I was coming from the Bridgestone J15 CBs.

Compared to the J15, the 900 Forged has a slightly thicker topline, longer blade length, a touch more offset (especially in the 5 and 6 iron), but a much slimmer sole. The brushed satin looks really good and the short irons/wedges are very well done.

The feel was good. The J15 are softer, but 900 Forged still produced a pleasing sound. Better feel than the Titleist 714 AP2s I once had. If you’re coming from a MP iron or another soft forging, I think you will notice a difference. For me though, that difference wasn’t great enough for it to be a detriment. Also, I really like the turf interaction. Mizuno did a nice job on the sole.

Performance-wise, the ball flight I was getting was very strong. Penetrating, but still with good spin. Had zero issues getting the ball to hold greens, no matter the club. I was concerned about the strong lofts, but was very pleased on the ball flight. I do think the Modus 105 helped in this area. My 6-iron swing speed is around 82 mph, had no issues with launch.

Forgiveness-wise, hard to determine what impact the irons had on off-center strikes. I think more play is needed. Though, toe hits seemed to perform well. I do like that the 5-iron has a slightly bigger look, which is confidence inspiring.

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

Played five rounds over the last week with my new JPX 900 Forged, here’s my take:

My set is 5-GW, with the Nippon Modus 105. I was coming from the Bridgestone J15 CBs.

Compared to the J15, the 900 Forged has a slightly thicker topline, longer blade length, a touch more offset (especially in the 5 and 6 iron), but a much slimmer sole. The brushed satin looks really good and the short irons/wedges are very well done.

The feel was good. The J15 are softer, but 900 Forged still produced a pleasing sound. Better feel than the Titleist 714 AP2s I once had. If you’re coming from a MP iron or another soft forging, I think you will notice a difference. For me though, that difference wasn’t great enough for it to be a detriment. Also, I really like the turf interaction. Mizuno did a nice job on the sole.

Performance-wise, the ball flight I was getting was very strong. Penetrating, but still with good spin. Had zero issues getting the ball to hold greens, no matter the club. I was concerned about the strong lofts, but was very pleased on the ball flight. I do think the Modus 105 helped in this area. My 6-iron swing speed is around 82 mph, had no issues with launch.

Forgiveness-wise, hard to determine what impact the irons had on off-center strikes. I think more play is needed. Though, toe hits seemed to perform well. I do like that the 5-iron has a slightly bigger look, which is confidence inspiring.

Why did you switch to the 900 forged from the J15's? What did you like or not like about the j15's?

Thanks

CJ

So I've hit these a couple of times now but yesterday I was able to compare this with my RSI 1s.

6 irons, standard lighter shaft on the RSI. Tried the 900 with TT105. Didn't enjoy the feel of it. Seemed stiff. The state of the shaft (maybe it was in my head) didn't help as it had rust flecks on it and the grip was almost worn smooth. Wasn't hitting it consistently.

Switched to the Modus 105. Oh wow. Loved it. Nice ball flight, sometimes little baby draws, and usually I couldn't move the ball to save my life.

Compared to the RSI, on average, the 900 was shorter in distance. When I did out hit the RSI, it was when I hit the ball flush on the sweet spot. Feel was better with the 900 as expected with a forged club. Ball flight was lower with the 900. Not sure whether the lofts are comparable.

I have slowed my swing speed down to try to be more accurate so I probably should get on that Mizuno swing speed analyser thing. 6 iron ss is about 70 to 75 IIRC.

I really want to get these. Just have to convince myself that I should put $1,600 - $1,700 down whilst also owing 2 other sets.

So I've hit these a couple of times now but yesterday I was able to compare this with my RSI 1s.

6 irons, standard lighter shaft on the RSI. Tried the 900 with TT105. Didn't enjoy the feel of it. Seemed stiff. The state of the shaft (maybe it was in my head) didn't help as it had rust flecks on it and the grip was almost worn smooth. Wasn't hitting it consistently.

Switched to the Modus 105. Oh wow. Loved it. Nice ball flight, sometimes little baby draws, and usually I couldn't move the ball to save my life.

Compared to the RSI, on average, the 900 was shorter in distance. When I did out hit the RSI, it was when I hit the ball flush on the sweet spot. Feel was better with the 900 as expected with a forged club. Ball flight was lower with the 900. Not sure whether the lofts are comparable.

I have slowed my swing speed down to try to be more accurate so I probably should get on that Mizuno swing speed analyser thing. 6 iron ss is about 70 to 75 IIRC.

I really want to get these. Just have to convince myself that I should put $1,600 - $1,700 down whilst also owing 2 other sets.

How does it get to $1,600 to $1,700 for the 900 forged with the stock Modus 105 shaft?

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

How does it get to $1,600 to $1,700 for the 900 forged with the stock Modus 105 shaft?

Figured he is in Canada or Europe?

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

I had the 850 forged for about 20 months. They were good. They felt a little hard, but the ball speeds were there.

I sold them, foolishly, to give the beloved J15's a go. They were fine. I played them for maybe 5 meh months. They feel good. They're a 1/2 to full club shorter - especially in the long irons.

The 900 are very comparable to the 850s, but whatever they did to the boron recipe works. They're softer.

I'm a fan of the 900 forged. The j15 are fine irons. But for me, they weren't the mythical classics they were for most of the guys on these boards.

Both are fine clubs. The ball speeds produced by the 900s out do the modestly better feel in the J15s.

At least for me. YRMV.

G430 LST 9* Ventus TR Black 6S

Darkspeed 15* 1K Pro White 70S

G430 19* LIN-Q TSPX Black 85H F4

Black Ops 22* AV White 85S
ZX5 MkII (5-P) Modus3 105X
MG4 50,54,58 Modus3 125S

009M Welded 1.5 Flow Neck SSS

Ctaper Lite would launch high but I don;'t like the feel.. Too light.

Would love a heavy shaft that launches higher and spins more - Does it exist?????

Yes, I think the True Temper XP 115 could fit the bill. They feel really nice. I wouldn't call them heavy exactly, but uncut the s300 is 117 grams. They will produce a higher flight and higher spin that you are looking for. I think that they are very similar feeling to the DG Pro shafts, and on a launch monitor I hit the XP's slightly higher with a little more spin. For some reason, the XP 115 seems to kind of fly under the radar around here. In my opinion, it is a shaft that a lot of players in general could benefit from, including myself.

Titleist TSR2 10*| MCA Tensei AV blue (SFW) Xlink 55 S

Titleist TSR2 3 HL 16.5*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 65 S

Titleist TSR2 7 Wood 21*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 75 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 4 iron| N.S. Pro 980GH DST S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-GW| N.S. Pro 1050GH S

Titleist BV SM9 54*S, 60*S| TT DG S200
Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star

Figured he is in Canada or Europe?

Nah...he's in Aus, thats AUD. Even converting to USD, thats $1,280..phew, thank goodness I don't live there no more....cant beat DiscountDan prices here

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

I had the 850 forged for about 20 months. They were good. They felt a little hard, but the ball speeds were there.

I sold them, foolishly, to give the beloved J15's a go. They were fine. I played them for maybe 5 meh months. They feel good. They're a 1/2 to full club shorter - especially in the long irons.

The 900 are very comparable to the 850s, but whatever they did to the boron recipe works. They're softer.

I'm a fan of the 900 forged. The j15 are fine irons. But for me, they weren't the mythical classics they were for most of the guys on these boards.

Both are fine clubs. The ball speeds produced by the 900s out do the modestly better feel in the J15s.

At least for me. YRMV.

Thanks for your input. Will pick up a used set of 850's to compare.

That's in Australian dollars. Single irons go for over $200 each here. The JPX 900 driver is selling for AUD700 which is about USD525. Not sure if that's comparable to what you're paying there?

So i've shot my worst rounds of the season with the 900 Forged. They are on life support. my old SLDR's will be back in the bag soon. Gave it a shot.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Ping G410 5 Wood 

Ping G430 22* Hybrid 

Srixon ZX5 4-AW
Titleist SM10 Raw 54*, 58*

Evnroll ER1.2 Tour Blade

Chrome Soft X Trutrack '24

Vessel Lite Lux

So i've shot my worst rounds of the season with the 900 Forged. They are on life support. my old SLDR's will be back in the bag soon. Gave it a shot.

I know the feeling. I am "working in" a set of 900 forged with F4 Recoil shafts and it is a bit frustrating as I am shooting my worst scores for some time. It is tempting to go back to my X41's as I know they will work much better but I am going to stick with them for a while as the good shots are great... I just have to get rid of the bad ones and get in sync with the rythm of the new shafts!!. It may take a while but I think it will be worth it in the long term and they will hopefully be well bedded in over the winter and ready to go by spring.

these aren't getting the best reviews - Locally as well not that popular.

Really?! Cause this thread is chuck full of positive reviews. In fact, this may be the first truly negative postings I've seen so far.

I responded to a different post about the JPX900F, so apologies if this is redundant.

I got fitted last week with Dan Weitzel in Lone Tree, CO. Excellent fitter, and super nice guy. Highly recommended. I went with the intention of getting the MP25's- which are in the same class as my Ping S-56, so I figured it made sense.

I hit both in the 6 iron demo. It reminded my of why the MP25 has such an incredible reputation. The feeling is as good as it gets. I tried the 900F and the feel isn't 5 stars like the MP25, but it's 4.5. My misses and clean shots with the 900F were 7-9 yards longer. The numbers don't lie, and the 900F is more forgiving. Never thought I'd go this route, but the 900F were just too good overall to pass up.

82 mile per hour swing, with around 4600-4800 spin rate. My spin rate would have been hire had I not hit nearly every shot a bit fat, so I'm not worried about it.

As far as shafts, I hit both with KBS Tour, Rifle, and AeroTech SteelFiber. Going with SteelFiber was a complete no brainer. Incredible graphite shaft.

I took the demo 900F to the range, and I was pretty thrilled. For comparison, I'd switch between the 900F and my S56 6 iron (shafted with KBS Tour), and the difference was big in both distance and stability. Very similar trajectory, but the 900 was easily 10 yards longer, had great feel, and was forgiving.

Mizuno filled a great niche with the 900F- finally, lower handicappers (I'm a 4) have another option. I have to test the 8 and 9 iron in the Tour model, but unless it seems hard to hit (should be very similar to my S-56, skill wise) I think I'll end up with this:

G-9 irons - 900 Tour

8-5 irons - 900 Forged

4 iron JPX900 Hot Metal

We're making the 4-5-6 nearly the same length as the 6, with only 1/8" difference between each. Soft stepped.

Total will be about $1650. :blink:

I know the feeling. I am "working in" a set of 900 forged with F4 Recoil shafts and it is a bit frustrating as I am shooting my worst scores for some time. It is tempting to go back to my X41's as I know they will work much better but I am going to stick with them for a while as the good shots are great... I just have to get rid of the bad ones and get in sync with the rythm of the new shafts!!. It may take a while but I think it will be worth it in the long term and they will hopefully be well bedded in over the winter and ready to go by spring.

I was in the same boat as you. I got the 900 w/Recoil 95 Stiff and took me a long time to get adjusted to the weight differences from my old HPX825P w/KBS tour Stiff. Over the course of 10/11 rounds things have gotten so much better. I say give it some time to adjust to the lighter weight (if that's it - don't know what shaft you're coming from).

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

I responded to a different post about the JPX900F, so apologies if this is redundant.

I got fitted last week with Dan Weitzel in Lone Tree, CO. Excellent fitter, and super nice guy. Highly recommended. I went with the intention of getting the MP25's- which are in the same class as my Ping S-56, so I figured it made sense.

I hit both in the 6 iron demo. It reminded my of why the MP25 has such an incredible reputation. The feeling is as good as it gets. I tried the 900F and the feel isn't 5 stars like the MP25, but it's 4.5. My misses and clean shots with the 900F were 7-9 yards longer. The numbers don't lie, and the 900F is more forgiving. Never thought I'd go this route, but the 900F were just too good overall to pass up.

82 mile per hour swing, with around 4600-4800 spin rate. My spin rate would have been hire had I not hit nearly every shot a bit fat, so I'm not worried about it.

As far as shafts, I hit both with KBS Tour, Rifle, and AeroTech SteelFiber. Going with SteelFiber was a complete no brainer. Incredible graphite shaft.

I took the demo 900F to the range, and I was pretty thrilled. For comparison, I'd switch between the 900F and my S56 6 iron (shafted with KBS Tour), and the difference was big in both distance and stability. Very similar trajectory, but the 900 was easily 10 yards longer, had great feel, and was forgiving.

Mizuno filled a great niche with the 900F- finally, lower handicappers (I'm a 4) have another option. I have to test the 8 and 9 iron in the Tour model, but unless it seems hard to hit (should be very similar to my S-56, skill wise) I think I'll end up with this:

G-9 irons - 900 Tour

8-5 irons - 900 Forged

4 iron JPX900 Hot Metal

We're making the 4-5-6 nearly the same length as the 6, with only 1/8" difference between each. Soft stepped.

Total will be about $1650. :blink:

Dan is the man. Awesome dude and I would highly highly recommend.

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

I have hit cleveland TA1 form forged irons for about 15 years and have just replaced them with the JPX 900 forged irons with the xp115 stiff shaft. This is actually my first new set of irons. In the past I have always bought irons used from friends. As you can see that does not happen very often. I fell in love with the 850's when I was playing with a guy who had them. Loved the look of them and when I asked to hit them they felt very good. At that point the 900's were just coming out so I waited and happened to be in the pro shop at my course when my pro was taking them out of the box. It was over a week later I went through the fitting and bought them as quick as I could.

The first two weeks I couldn't play but did hit them on the range 3 or 4 times. Hit all of them fairly well, but had a little buyers remorse at that point. Fast forward to actually playing with them on the course you couldn't pry them out of my hands at this point. I cannot believe how great they feel and how much easier they are to hit.

As many have said they do have a clicky sound and feel to them on miss hits but when struck well I feel like they give you that feeling of a pure forged iron. When I miss hit these irons I am still on the green or very close. Not the case with the old TA1's. Played this last weekend and shot the best round I have played in about 6 years and backed it up on Sunday with the next best round. Won't be switching for another 15 years or so. Well might have to re-shaft to senior flex at some point. LOL. It took Mizuno to produce an iron I would pay top dollar for and I now don't have any buyers remorse. Mizuno did a great job with these hats off to them!!!

I know it's always something you should do really but I was fitted for these recently and I have to say that it looks like shaft matching with this club is really very important. Notably so more than other clubs I have been fitted for in the past. It could just be me that day I suppose but I was really surprised by the drastically different results I had depending on the shaft. The results were widely different as to distance (10-12 yards) and dispersion (as much as 15 yards from best to worst). The worst for me was the PX 5.5. Distance was fairly consistent but 10 yards shorter and I was all over the place with it. Best was Recoil 95 R. Fairly tight dispersion and 10 yards longer with only small difference changes shot to shot save for the two I hit fat, which of course was completely all me.

I have only played mine a couple of times, but I like them so far. The short irons spin like crazy for me. I back the pitching wedge up 10-15 feet. I also get some movement on the 9 and 8 iron too.

I am hitting them about 5 yards further than my apex. Probably because of the lighter 95 gram shafts creating more club head speed. I flew a few greens my first time out.

They definitely feel better than my 2014 Callaway Apex.

Taylormade Stealth Plus// HZRDUS RDS Black 
Callaway X2Hot 5 Deep // Aldila Tour Green

Taylormade Stealth 7 Wood // Diamana D Limited

Taylormade P790 UDI // Tensei Pro White
Cobra F7 Hybrid 23.5// Diamana D+
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-GW // Project X
Taylormade Mill Grind 52 // DG S400
Taylormade Mill Grind 58 // DG S400
Odyssey White Hot OG 7

• 2 weeks later...

Well I gave the 900 Forged their fair shake but they just don't work for me. Something about them just felt off to me..they launched too low for me and i was hooking my mid irons like i never have. The SLDRs will go back in the bag until i find something better.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Ping G410 5 Wood 

Ping G430 22* Hybrid 

Srixon ZX5 4-AW

Evnroll ER1.2 Tour Blade

Vessel Lite Lux

Well I gave the 900 Forged their fair shake but they just don't work for me. Something about them just felt off to me..they launched too low for me and i was hooking my mid irons like i never have. The SLDRs will go back in the bag until i find something better.

Curious if you were fit on a trackman or similar with several shaft options being tested? I was really surprised how much difference it made for me when we found the right combo of head and shaft. I've been fit for irons before but never so comprehensively as this time around.

I first had these with the stock PX LZ, didn't work for me, then after hitting several other shafts at a range and at a fitting booth I settled on the Modus 105. I like the Modus but I just don't think these heads work for me. No idea why. Had a similar experience years ago with the MX-300. Guess Mizuno just isnt for me. Trajectory was just too low all around and the feel was a little dead to me. Hope others have better luck.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Ping G410 5 Wood 

Ping G430 22* Hybrid 

Srixon ZX5 4-AW

Evnroll ER1.2 Tour Blade

Vessel Lite Lux