2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Mizuno jpx 900 forged

Jlb123

So tempted to get these last week, but haven't pulled the trigger. The guy in the shop said that the AP2's were better if I was to pick between these too. The forgiveness is better on the AP2's.

Is that correct?

You'd get varying opinions on it but I don't think their is a significant difference in forgiveness between the two really. My biggest two reason for not preferring the AP2 were feel and distance. For me it was 8-10 yards shorter and felt much harsher. Your actual experience may differ of course. Forget what the guy in the shop tells you.. judge by your own feedback and if you can get on a trackman or hit them outside (depending on the whether) which you prefer, feel and results wise.

If you want to see what M. Crossfields experience was comparing the two here's a

• Replies 831
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was fit into the JPX 900 forged. Really good clubs. The strange thing is fitter recommended AMT S300 shafts. I'm not a high spin player, not really a high launch player either. 84-85 MPH 6 iron with smooth tempo. I personally don't really care for the shafts too much. I think they feel too different from 4 iron to P. Anybody ever question a fitting?

Sim max driver
915 4w
913 hybrid
C300 4 iron...Staff Model blade 5-P
Vokey wedges

SpiderX

TP5

1% never had a chance

5-P C-Taper 130X - 1* up - NDMC white.

It's about time!!!

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

1% never had a chance

5-P C-Taper 130X - 1* up - NDMC white.

We expect a range report and pics sometime next week :D

I live in Iowa, my range report will be from my garage...lol. I am excited to hit these, think they will be a good fit.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

Was fit into the JPX 900 forged. Really good clubs. The strange thing is fitter recommended AMT S300 shafts. I'm not a high spin player, not really a high launch player either. 84-85 MPH 6 iron with smooth tempo. I personally don't really care for the shafts too much. I think they feel too different from 4 iron to P. Anybody ever question a fitting?

Absolutely. If I know a shaft is really not my cup of tea I just tell them so and we look for alternatives that can produce similar results but suit my personal taste better. The last thing you want is to get set over the ball and have doubts about trusting the club shaft on every shot.

Yep, these are freakin nice. I just hit about 40-50 - 5 irons in my garage (rest of the set will be in tomorrow).

Definitely more friendly than my MP5 - 5 iron, no doubt, but still a pretty compact head. I don't have a LM, so no real idea on distance or spin, but they really do feel fantastic, maybe not quite as soft as the 5's, but never expected that.

These will definitely be in the bag for early Spring.

It's almost like they made they finish to match C-taper shafts, these and the T7's with C-tapers look amazing.

Absolutely an easier club to hit than the 900 Tour. This set of irons should work for a wide range of golfers. Well done here Mizuno.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

Got fitted two weeks ago and ended up getting a combo set with the 4 and 5 iron in the forged and the 6-PW in the tours. +1/2 inch, 1* Upright with the C-Taper 130x. Bent the 5 iron two degrees weak and the 4 iron one degree for better gapping. Never owned a set of Mizunos, and they weren't even on my radar going into the fitting, but the feel and the numbers didn't lie! I fell in love instantly. The forged come off the face like rockets, but I wanted the tours in the 6-PW for a little better distance control. Can't wait to head to Mesquite in a couple weeks to play on some grass!

Anyone compare the 900 forged to the vapor pro combo's? Iron lofts aside of course.

I got both, swore I'd never sell my vapors, but gaming g the 900s now with the lz shafts, pretty unreal combo for me, phenomenal feel and great dispersion. I agree launch a tad lower but who cares they're long and they spin so nice on the greens I love them

• 2 weeks later...

I was really intrigued by these and the JPX 900 Tour irons when the pics first came out. I spent around an hour @ GolfTown hitting the 6 iron and 9iron for both sets and was pretty disappointed. It was my first time testing a Mizuno iron and I honestly felt let down by all the amazing reviews for how they were supposed to feel. Maybe the tape over the clubs made more of a difference than I expected or maybe it was the PX shaft that I wasn't used to (currently game DG-Pro). Anyone else feel this way?

I was really intrigued by these and the JPX 900 Tour irons when the pics first came out. I spent around an hour @ GolfTown hitting the 6 iron and 9iron for both sets and was pretty disappointed. It was my first time testing a Mizuno iron and I honestly felt let down by all the amazing reviews for how they were supposed to feel. Maybe the tape over the clubs made more of a difference than I expected or maybe it was the PX shaft that I wasn't used to (currently game DG-Pro). Anyone else feel this way?

nope. i'm the opposite - love the feel of the 900 forged.

Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4

Agreed, think they feel great. They are not as soft as 4's or 5's, but still feel great.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

I had the opposite experience as well. These clubs feel great with the LZ shaft and I've had them for three months now. I would get them again in a heartbeat.

Cobra LTD X

Titleist TSi2 3W

PXG Hybrid 17/22

Srixon ZX5 5 iron

Srixon ZX7  6-PW

Ping Glide Wedges 2.0 50/54/58

Mizuno M Craft I or IV

I'll have to give them another try when I'm at GolfTown again...

I also wonder if their GC2 monitors are beefed up? I was hitting the 6 iron 190ish on average with the farthest one being 212 (recorded exactly 90 MPH clubhead speed on that hit). With my current gamer irons, a solid 6 iron hit in the summer weather would be mid 170's, maybe high 170's at best. It's not a loft issue as the Nike VPC's are same loft as the JPX900 Tours....

Agreed, think they feel great. They are not as soft as 4's or 5's, but still feel great.

Me too the feel was so good I bought them, couldn't be happier with the LZ shafts, this combo has the smoothest feel of any combo I've ever played.

Me too the feel was so good I bought them, couldn't be happier with the LZ shafts, this combo has the smoothest feel of any combo I've ever played.

The LZ is a great shaft with this head, I love the extra weight. With shafts getting so much lighter over the years these are a nice compromise against the 125g/130g shafts my swing is accustomed to playing.

I went with F4 Recoil 95's about 2 months ago following a Mizuno fitting and love them. The only comment I have is that I went for GW + PW - 4i but have stopped using the 4i in favour of a 21 deg rescue as I find the 4 an5 iron flight a bit lower than I would like. It may be that an F3 shaft may better suit me in the long irons. My avg SP with the 4i is 86.

I went with F4 Recoil 95's about 2 months ago following a Mizuno fitting and love them. The only comment I have is that I went for GW + PW - 4i but have stopped using the 4i in favour of a 21 deg rescue as I find the 4 an5 iron flight a bit lower than I would like. It may be that an F3 shaft may better suit me in the long irons. My avg SP with the 4i is 86.

My SP with the 6 was 80-83 but 80 was really the sweet spot for me. F3 shaft was the best fit. Unfortunately the snow came before my order did so I could not get out and put them to use yet.

Damn @Warrick, you're in virtually every new iron thread. lol , you must be a millionaire or have a really cool wife.. or both!

I was just playing with 900forged today and I found a problem. It goes DAMN far. 10-20yds longer than my z765. I know forged is stronger in loft but by only 1 degree. Can't be the shafts, can it?

I still can't stand its thick topline but man, this is very tempting.

So are you all talking about the LZ metal or graphite shafts? I did think both were pretty good and felt good too, but the recoil 95's just worked and felt the best for me.

In my case the steel, previously played the recoil 95's in a different set, it's a good shaft, I just like more weight.

I actually just purchased my combo set yesterday. 4-6 in Hot Metal and 7-P in Forged. I got them with the Modus X 105's which I absolutely fell in love with. I am kicking myself for not switching over from DG X100's sooner.

I ordered them 1 deg. weaker so I'm hoping this will bring the distance more in line with my VR Splitbacks.

If it was possible to do a blind test, I do not think you'd be able to tell if the Hot Metals were cast. They honestly feel just as good and in some cases better than forged clubs from other companies.

Damn @Warrick, you're in virtually every new iron thread. lol , you must be a millionaire or have a really cool wife.. or both!

I was just playing with 900forged today and I found a problem. It goes DAMN far. 10-20yds longer than my z765. I know forged is stronger in loft but by only 1 degree. Can't be the shafts, can it?

I bought MP5's when released last September, next set I bought was the 900 Tour a year later. sold those, bought Z945, sold those got the 900F. I do have a cool Word not allowed wife, for sure.

I have not hit them on course yet. An extra 1/2 club to full club on distance would not hurt me. The key for me will be distance control. I don't think they have a thick topline, not as slim as the Tour series, but does not bother me.

I can always slide the 5's right back in the bag, proven performer..

I am going to the Simulator for 2 hours tomorrow morning, might get a little better idea on distance, will take on my 5's to compare.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

I bought MP5's when released last September, next set I bought was the 900 Tour a year later. sold those, bought Z945, sold those got the 900F. I do have a cool Word not allowed wife, for sure.

I have not hit them on course yet. An extra 1/2 club to full club on distance would not hurt me. The key for me will be distance control. I don't think they have a thick topline, not as slim as the Tour series, but does not bother me.

I can always slide the 5's right back in the bag, proven performer..

I am going to the Simulator for 2 hours tomorrow morning, might get a little better idea on distance, will take on my 5's to compare.

Assuming the 900F are with CTapers :)

Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4

When I got my 900's recently, I had them made 1 deg weaker to bring their distance more in line to what I'm used to.

Off the shelf, they were only going about 12 yards further than my current irons (VR Split Cavities) so I'm thinking 1 degree weaker will bring them down to around 7 yards further which is fine with me.