Best golf courses/golf experience near Disneyland / So Cal?

I may be heading to Disneyland for a few days with my brother's family just to use up some vacation time. Looking for recommendations for courses near Disneyland or must plays in that area. I am a member at a private club so other private clubs may also be an option. I'm also probably due for some new clubs. At least some wedges so any suggestions along those lines (fittings/golf experience) are also welcome.

Thanks all.

PING G430 Max, Ventus Blue Velocore 6S

Fwy/Hyb - Shopping/testing

Titleist T100s (4i - Gap), Project X LZ 6.0 120

TM P770 (4i - Gap), Nippon Modus 120s

Assorted TM, Titleist, and Callaway Wedges (54, 56, 60)

Scotty Newport

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are looking for clubs, the Santa Ana Roger Dunn, which is close to Disneyland, has most manufacturers with their own fitting areas in the store and Titleist just opened a new fitting experience there as well. It is a 60,000 sq ft superstore.

I like Oak Creek in Irvine, Strawberry Farms or Tustin Ranch are nice and not too far from Anaheim. There are not a lot of good choices in the Anaheim area so you will need to drive a bit.

If you want to go private route you can look at Old ranch Country Club, Mesa Verde Country Club or Newport Beach Country Club.

These are courses I have played and enjoyed but there are few other choices like Pelican Hill which is a little pricey but I havent played it yet and have a gift card to do so in the near future or Mission Viejo CC otherwise known as Mission Impossible!! Its tough track for sure but fun.

This should get you started. Enjoy your trip out to SoCal and Disneyland!

Corba Aerojet LS 9 Mitsubishi Chemical Kai'li 60X 
Taylormade Stealth Plus 15 Mitsubishi Chemical Kai'li 70X

Taylormade Stealth2  3 Rescue 19 Fujikura Ventus Blue 9X Velocore
Titleist T200 4 DGTI X100
T100S 5-PW DGTI X100
SM9 50F DGTI, SM9 54D DGTI, SM7 60D DGTI

EVNROLL EV5.1B - Mid Slant Hosel 34 

Scotty Cameron 2012 Select GoLo 34

L.A.B. DF3 Dodger Blue 35/70 Heavy (On its way!!)

Industry Hills is about 40 minutes from Disneyland. Two great tracks there.

Anaheim has "Dad Miller" . That was Tigers high school course (mine too).

TM M2 2017 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 65 S
Ping G400 14.5 PING Tour 80g S
Ping Anser 17* 23* PING Tour  S
PING iE1 5-PW Modus3 105 S
PING Glide 2.0 50* 54* 60* Modus 115 Wedge S
BioMech 41"
NDMC Plus 4
ProV1

I may be heading to Disneyland for a few days with my brother's family just to use up some vacation time. Looking for recommendations for courses near Disneyland or must plays in that area. I am a member at a private club so other private clubs may also be an option. I'm also probably due for some new clubs. At least some wedges so any suggestions along those lines (fittings/golf experience) are also welcome.

Thanks all.

Two of the best private courses in Riv and LACC north of Disneyland. Well worth looking into.

Ping g430max 10k 10.5*- rogue white 130 60tx
sim2ti 15* - speeder evo 3 757x
ping g425 20.5* - rogue 125 80tx
4-gw ap1 jpx921 hm/hm pro - 120x1’s
 sm5 56.10 - s400ti
sm8 60m - s400ti
piretti potenza ii 365g 34"

I have not played Riviera or LACC, but I have played Sherwood and will say that if your club pro can get you out there... absolutely make time to play it! It's about an hour and a half or so drive from Disneyland area, but it's really an awesome course.

As far as public courses, I've always complained about the lack of affordability of the good courses in the area. Tustin Ranch is nothing special if you ask me and they want $150 pretty much year round. Strawberry Farms and Oak Creek are both nice tracks, but they will run you close to $200. If you want to play a good course for less than $100 you have to go to the Inland Empire (Goose Creek, Sierra Lakes, Cross Creek, Red Hawk, Oak Quarry).

If you have time to drive a little bit, I would absolutely recommend playing Maderas over any of the other pricey options in the OC. It's maybe an hour to hour and a half South of where you'll be. Aviara is a nice choice in that area as well, but that's $250+ whereas Maderas can be had for less than $200 and is a better value.

If you absolutely have to stay in the area, I think one private course that you could probably get on that is vastly underrated is Santa Ana Country Club. It's actually in the Costa Mesa/Newport Beach area and is a really nice old school track. A few other private courses to consider that are great tests of golf are Mission Viejo, El Niguel, and Hacienda (my personal favorite). As far as public, I think you'd be the most impressed with Oak Creek or Tijeras Creek.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I generally take a 4 day February trip to Florida each year, and play 7 rounds. I'm thinking about trying something different this coming trip, and was curious about LA golf. I know practically nothing about the public courses in the LA/SC area. Is it feasible to play two a day, which requires either two courses at the same facility, or a 2nd course a "short" drive away? I don't mind a bit of a drive to the next location following the afternoon round. Staying in a different hotel each night is not an issue if necessary.

Generally to pull this off with the limited winter daylight I have to have the 1st or 2nd tee time in the morning, which then allows for a quick round. 'Can't afford a 5 hour round in the morning.

From the discussion above, it seems that it would be doable. Pelican Hill sounds interesting. A trip down to Aviara might be on the agenda. I'm not too concerned about the cost, up to a point. 'Just interested in quality courses.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I'd cut through the fluff and do Pelican Hill (either course). No other public tracks around the area really come close (especially if you want something special on vacation).

Your club pro is going to have to have some serious pull (most don't) to get you out on some of the higher end LA courses, if he does, then yes.. LACC and Riv, but we're really stretching outside the "nice courses near Anaheim" type of tracks :) Shady Canyon is a nice private track in Newport, Newport Beach CC is an okay track with an amazing club house, Santa Ana CC is closed to guests till the new year after the remodel.

Definitely check out the Roger Dunn Super Store for your clubs.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

I generally take a 4 day February trip to Florida each year, and play 7 rounds. I'm thinking about trying something different this coming trip, and was curious about LA golf. I know practically nothing about the public courses in the LA/SC area. Is it feasible to play two a day, which requires either two courses at the same facility, or a 2nd course a "short" drive away? I don't mind a bit of a drive to the next location following the afternoon round. Staying in a different hotel each night is not an issue if necessary.

Generally to pull this off with the limited winter daylight I have to have the 1st or 2nd tee time in the morning, which then allows for a quick round. 'Can't afford a 5 hour round in the morning.

From the discussion above, it seems that it would be doable. Pelican Hill sounds interesting. A trip down to Aviara might be on the agenda. I'm not too concerned about the cost, up to a point. 'Just interested in quality courses.

Besides Pelican North & South, consider

- Coyote Hills & Black Gold in North OC

- strawberry farm, oak creek and tustin ranch in Irvine area

- Arroyo Trabuco & Tijeras Creek in Mission Viejo area

- the crossing, Aviara & La costa in north san diego area

• 8 months later...

just got back from Anaheim area....can't recommend Pelican enough....it's a must play IMO. And a close second is the Roger Dunn. wow....you SoCal guys are so lucky to have access to a golf store like that. Never seen such a large selection of used equipment. Also a must visit if you are in the area.

Callaway Rogue ST, 10.5, GD Tour AD IZ
Callaway Rogue 4&7 Fairway, GD Tour AD IZ
Srixon U85 4-6, ZX7 7-SW PX LZ 6.0
Cleveland RTX4 60 PX LZ 6.0
Evnroll 5.2 Short Slant
Snell MTB-X Yellow

• 2 weeks later...

Put your Director of Golf to the test. Have him call LACC and Riviera for a reciprocal round.

Just make sure you have a set of slacks packed. Realistically Bel-Air would probably be an "easier" alternative

I was in LA several years ago and I researched these clubs. Assuming their unaccompanied guests policies have not changed since 2014, here's what I learned.

1. Bel Air doesn't offer reciprocal play. Have to know a member.

2. Riviera does offer reciprocal play but it is very expensive. You're looking at around $1000 per person after green fee, caddy fee, tip, etc.

3. LACC worked us in. Cost was approx 1/3 of Riviera. One of the best experiences I've ever had. I can't recommend it strongly enough. My pro had to make several calls (they weren't very responsive) but once we were in, they were great. I will tell you that we booked this right before it was announced that LACC would be hosting the Open, so it's very possible they have tightened up their policy and/or raised the price significantly.