Colorado WRX 2017

brianhorne8

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm available for any Saturday/Sunday rounds.

No wife, no kids, no real social life to speak of. None of my friends are golfers, so every round is either solo or paired up with random 3-somes.

And I live less than 2 miles away from CommonGround, and have still never played it. So much praise for the course, and I know I shouldn't judge it before trying it, but I don't see how it can be that great. It's in the middle of Aurora, and has got to be so flat. I like a lot of elevation change on my courses. Stuff like Heritage Eagle Bend or Arrowhead.

I really like King's Deer...but wouldn't be worth the 45 minute drive to play 14 holes with temp greens. I did get quite a few rounds in last year when GolfNow had hot deals for $25 with a cart on weekends. Hoping that pops up more this year.

Does the Blue Course deal apply only for active duty or can retirees take advantage?

I think it'll work for either. I'm a gov'ie contractor and they accepted my CAC card. But I would call to confirm pricing before heading over there.

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

Blue Course for $10?!?!? I need a military friend lol

Yeah, a couple of my buddies are retired AF so they can make us tee times.

Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4

No wife, no kids, no real social life to speak of. None of my friends are golfers, so every round is either solo or paired up with random 3-somes.

And I live less than 2 miles away from CommonGround, and have still never played it. So much praise for the course, and I know I shouldn't judge it before trying it, but I don't see how it can be that great. It's in the middle of Aurora, and has got to be so flat. I like a lot of elevation change on my courses. Stuff like Heritage Eagle Bend or Arrowhead.

I really like King's Deer...but wouldn't be worth the 45 minute drive to play 14 holes with temp greens. I did get quite a few rounds in last year when GolfNow had hot deals for $25 with a cart on weekends. Hoping that pops up more this year.

Common Ground didn't seem overly special to me, especially after all the accolades it has received. Part may have been the slow group of drunks ahead of us all round. Mower lady finally chewed them out for their stupidity of driving the cart almost on the green on a par 3.

Do they have to be AF? My wife's cousin is a flight instructor for the Navy and he'll be out here in a couple months...

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

I don't think so - active duty or retired.

The course makes 36/day very easy. I like the silver as well.

Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4

Ok, back to my iron/shaft dilmena...

What if I stick with my MP-33's and reshaft them? I took a look at my trackman data for my current club with S300's and noticed that my spin is quite a bit better than anything else, but my smash factor was low.

561570e1-a228-4e88-9c38-fa1bfb72ce93-Tim%20Haar%202017-02-17%20Multi%20Group%20Report_Page_4_zpsovvgy31b.jpg

What kind of performance do you think I would get if I switched out my current S300's for the S400 tours or Project X LZ 6.0's? Here's the shaft data I was getting with the MP-5's and LZ's.

318_Page_4_zpsbhmkbojw.jpg

Or do you think the smash factor is lower because the sweet spot is smaller on the 33's, and keeping my head would be a bad choice? I feel like I'm a decent ball striker overall though...

Edel E-1

Had one of those days today. Hit shots much better than my score reflected (especially into the wind at Murphy Creek) and walked away with an 83. Two-putted all 18 greens and hit every fairway (and the #9 green with driver...but it rolled to the fringe so I putted from off the green, which isn't technically a two-putt) and only got wayward on two tee shots. Not bad, but the putter never caught fire. I did win my match play against my friend 4 and 3, which was nice.

Tested the PM grind and it really just comes down to user error. I love the 60º and will likely bag one, but I really need a lesson strictly on bunker shots.

Course was in good shape for this time of year. Wind was nasty at times though.

Yeah the wind was brutal yesterday. Hopefully it'll be calmer today. I'm suppose to play at 1:00 if the Dr. gives me the all-go after surgery last week.

I tried to like the PM grind but just couldn't get along with it completely. For me, it was great out of the bunker and deep rough around the green but off of tight lies and fuller shots it didn't match up to my Vokey 58* K. But man, it was like cheating coming out of the bad stuff.

Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4

Had one of those days today. Hit shots much better than my score reflected (especially into the wind at Murphy Creek) and walked away with an 83. Two-putted all 18 greens and hit every fairway (and the #9 green with driver...but it rolled to the fringe so I putted from off the green, which isn't technically a two-putt) and only got wayward on two tee shots. Not bad, but the putter never caught fire. I did win my match play against my friend 4 and 3, which was nice.

Tested the PM grind and it really just comes down to user error. I love the 60º and will likely bag one, but I really need a lesson strictly on bunker shots.

Glad to hear the Murph is in decent shape. First men's club tourney out there is March 25.

I know getting cortisone shots are a last resort but man, my elbow finally feels good for once. This is my second shot in 9 months, and I know I am just delaying my recovery, but I couldn't imagine giving up my entire golf season to do PT and recover. So I am pushing it off until late October or November and hopefully I wont need any shots after that. But man are the shots effective, at taking away the pain and inflammation anyway. Can't wait to play on Sat! First time out this season.

I know what you mean here but can't help laughing and thinking "retired AF" means retired as fu*k! LOL. I want to be retired as fu*k one day myself! hahaha.

TM M4 10.5 Mitsubishi Rayon Tensei White 70X
Callaway Rogue 4 wood Hzrdus Yellow 6.5
TM Stage 2 tour hybrid 22* Altus 85X
SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

Yeah the wind was brutal yesterday. Hopefully it'll be calmer today. I'm suppose to play at 1:00 if the Dr. gives me the all-go after surgery last week.

I tried to like the PM grind but just couldn't get along with it completely. For me, it was great out of the bunker and deep rough around the green but off of tight lies and fuller shots it didn't match up to my Vokey 58* K. But man, it was like cheating coming out of the bad stuff.

I tried the W grind on the MD3 and it was pretty good off tight stuff. PM was great, but I'm so inconsistent out of bunkers that its positives are basically negated. I really, desperately need some help from the sand, and once I get there, I'll probably go to it. Carded an 83 and it could have been a 76-77 with better play from bunkers.

Glad to hear the Murph is in decent shape. First men's club tourney out there is March 25.

They're still March greens and are a little bumpy, but all in all, the course played (wind aside) no tougher than it typically does. It was just nice to get out there again. I hadn't realized it's been close to six months since I played there.

I tried the W grind on the MD3 and it was pretty good off tight stuff. PM was great, but I'm so inconsistent out of bunkers that its positives are basically negated. I really, desperately need some help from the sand, and once I get there, I'll probably go to it. Carded an 83 and it could have been a 76-77 with better play from bunkers.

This website always turns into a plug for people's personal equipment, but I do say give the Cleveland RTX 3 MG or LG grinds a try for bunker play. I had the glide ES which was like cheating out of the bunker, but I say the RTX are even better. My buddy is a terrible bunker player and tried mine yesterday, and he's going to order a 60 LG now. Not a plug, but just a thought. Good luck!

Do they have to be AF? My wife's cousin is a flight instructor for the Navy and he'll be out here in a couple months...

You should be good to go. May not be able to make the first tee time of the day, but have him call either 5 or 6 days ahead of when you want to play and he can make a tee time for the group.

drn92

Does anyone know if you have to be playing with someone who can get on (military, retired, DOD, etc.) or can they just make a tee time for you and you can plan unaccompanied?

As far as I know you have to have someone in your group that is allowed to play the course.

drn92

Thanks for the heads up about Heritage at Westmoor/Walnut Creek rates. Never played there, but it looks super fun. Just called to confirm the $35 walking rate, and got myself added onto a random 2-some for Sunday.

Also, does anyone else do this? I go to Google Maps to check distances on stuff before playing a course for the first time. So by looking at this, it appears the fairway on Number 1 (from Tee 3) runs out at about 260 yards. Good info to have before grabbing the driver straight off the bat!

LLS85Rf.png

Common Ground didn't seem overly special to me, especially after all the accolades it has received. Part may have been the slow group of drunks ahead of us all round. Mower lady finally chewed them out for their stupidity of driving the cart almost on the green on a par 3.

The accolades are more because of what Doak did with what he had to work with. If you had ever played it when it was Mira Vista you'd be amazed he came up with Common Ground based on that. I think it is a nice course, but it's not one of the best public courses in the Denver area.

Thanks for the heads up about Heritage at Westmoor/Walnut Creek rates. Never played there, but it looks super fun. Just called to confirm the $35 walking rate, and got myself added onto a random 2-some for Sunday.

Also, does anyone else do this? I go to Google Maps to check distances on stuff before playing a course for the first time. So by looking at this, it appears the fairway on Number 1 (from Tee 3) runs out at about 260 yards. Good info to have before grabbing the driver straight off the bat!

LLS85Rf.png

Walnut Creek is a great course. Yes, the first hole is not a driver hole. Good luck if the 25-30 mph wind forecast stays the same as there is no cover from the winds out there. Hope you can keep the ball down. If there's frost in the morning, everyone will be starting on 10 all day which is a driver hole as the back nine gets more exposure.

Random question -- any of you fellow CoWrx'ers here ever find problems with tee box selection? One of the things I'm working on in my game is distance issues with irons; I don't hit them particularly far. A solid 4i goes maybe 185 for me.

Problem is, I am plenty long off the tee and driver wise to play most courses' blue sets of tees. I could go back, if I absolutely had to, but I don't. Blues are healthy for me. Problem is, at many courses it seems blue tee boxes will set you up for Par 3 holes of 190, 200, or sometimes even 210 yards! Is my particular course just ridiculous, or is something you've ever run into? Very frustrating for me to basically have to lay up on a Par 3 or hit a significant long iron into a hole, and meanwhile I'm going Driver PW/9i on other holes.

Apologies for the randomness, but any advice welcome as well :)

LLS85Rf.png

Walnut Creek is a very fun course. I play 9 there several times each month during the season.

drn92

Random question -- any of you fellow CoWrx'ers here ever find problems with tee box selection? One of the things I'm working on in my game is distance issues with irons; I don't hit them particularly far. A solid 4i goes maybe 185 for me.

Problem is, I am plenty long off the tee and driver wise to play most courses' blue sets of tees. I could go back, if I absolutely had to, but I don't. Blues are healthy for me. Problem is, at many courses it seems blue tee boxes will set you up for Par 3 holes of 190, 200, or sometimes even 210 yards! Is my particular course just ridiculous, or is something you've ever run into? Very frustrating for me to basically have to lay up on a Par 3 or hit a significant long iron into a hole, and meanwhile I'm going Driver PW/9i on other holes.

I'm not super long off the tee but don't have any issues with distance in general, so I tend not to overthink tee boxes and typically play blues most of the time. My game isn't good enough to play the tips though. If I'm playing with some of my friends that aren't very good, I have no problem with playing whites. I don't put too much thought into it overall, I just want to have a good time.

I don't think your course is ridiculous though. I don't think those distances on par 3's,particularly at this altitude is that crazy. I do think some par 3's start to get unfair after 220yds or so though.

Edel E-1

Played the tips with some guys here and they beat me down. Had a great time, but hybrids and long irons in are a recipe for frustration. I played blues the other day and while not the longest hitter, don't remember taking anything much longer than a 7 most of the morning. I prefer that.

Play a combo? Move up a set for the par 3.