2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Colorado WRX 2017

brianhorne8

I just want to say that I've enjoyed the conversations going on in this thread.

I regret not getting the half-price fitting, but I feel that my swing is so inconsistent that a fitting would just confuse the issue even more. I do feel that I could use an extra 1/4" on my clubs to help reduce my raging draw, which would then probably move me to red dots, but that is just a hunch.

I just wish I had time to hit the range.

I do agree to a point that being in 'golf shape' will help the fitting. However, you don't need to be playing well to get a lesson. Remember, we should not be trying to make our best shots better (because we've all stuck one before). We're trying to make our worst and average shots better. As long as you don't have a rabid two-way miss going where you can't figure out what your problem is then I think there is always a benefit. Know your misses and tendencies and get fit accordingly.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm getting fit for the first time ever, and I'm also just starting to get familiar with all the data around a golf swing...spin rates, smash factors, etc. Your posts and this discussion have been invaluable for me as I think about what I want to get from this fitting, so thank you! My usual shot is a slight fade and I get my irons pretty high, so I'll be curious to see what the numbers show. I don't have an issue holding balls on the green (when I actually hit them!) so I'll definitely keep that in mind versus just looking at the potential distance gains. I think I definitely would have been caught up in the distance numbers only without this discussion.

I'm really glad we could all help. It sounds like you have near the same tendencies as my own. When looking at spin rates, especially since they'll have you hitting a 6, try to get it in that 6k rpm range. As far as height goes I think that's somewhat variable based on the person.

Think about it, how often have you been watching the tour on TV and had someone talk about how high Jason, Rory, DJ, etc. hits the ball? Overall it's a big advantage to be able to hit it high in order to carry a long club onto the green over the lake and have it stop. The only disadvantage to having a high ball flight is when we start talking about heavy wind. However, even in that regard if you ask any PGA pro if it's easier to learn to hit the ball higher or lower he will say lower every time.

Therefore, I would tend to recommend higher ball flights for most people. The reason I say tend to recommend that is all based on the amount of swings someone is going to make. If you're a golf nut (like most of us) then you're willing to put in the time to learn how to hit different trajectories with the same club. If you're strictly a weekend golfer that hates to practice then I would want to give that person a middle trajectory through equipment because that's the most versatile and they won't learn others.

Just more food for the grist and even more to think about when it comes to our own golf games in regards to fitting and equipment.

I'm on board wtih ASak10. The information in this thread is going to be invaluable when it comes fitting time and I thank all of you.

Definitely! Feel free to reach out anytime. To echo some sentiments earlier, I guess I also didn't make it clear that I have learned very quickly not just to trust numbers, or at least, put all your eggs in one basket regarding numbers alone. That's why I didn't make any rash decisions after the fitting. I'm going to actually take those recommendations and test outside to make sure that not only the numbers look good, but that the shot shape fits my eye, is controllable, etc.

Same here, anyone is welcome to ask anything any time.

I think you're exactly right on taking it outside. You can't know how the ball really flies to your eye and how the club interacts with the ground without real life testing. This holds true especially for wedges. A grind on a wedge is 100% designed for how it interacts with the ground and is therefore impossible to test accurately indoors.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So after thinking about this further - is it likely the shaft that is giving me lower spin numbers, or the head? Or a combination of both?

I shot a note to my fitter asking him for the trackman data from hitting the C-Tapers and Project X LZ too so I can get a sense of their performance.

In short, both. I'm not a fitter but from my experiences in several fittings of my own I found the bigger difference in performance was the shaft, not the head. C-Tapers in general were designed for low spin. I swing the 125 S+ because it helped me lower my flight and spin. I think the S400 probably was the best fit for you.

There's one other major piece to these numbers that we haven't talked about at all so far. How good was the ball struck? I've seen countless videos from Mark Crossfield about this and he has made it crystal clear to me that the quality of the strike dictates these numbers far more than a different head will.

Yeah, the LZ was new to me as well. All three shafts felt pretty similar to me overall - C-Taper 120's (maybe 125's...can't recall for sure), Project X LZ, and S400 Tour. If I had to pick one based on feel alone, it probably would have been the C-Taper...maybe lol. They were all really similar to me, and I wouldn't complain to have any of them in my bag.

I think there was too much focus on ball speed during this portion of my fitting, as the S400 was the only shaft that was able to produce ball speeds over 130mph. IIRC, the highest I got with the other shafts was 127mph. It's not like I'm really hurting for distance overall, so I wish I had known what I know now to do a better evaluation of the shafts.

This is where I think the ball speed actually does matter for what you're looking for. If you're getting higher ball speeds that tells me that the shaft is likely unloading properly and more than likely is the one that best fits you over the others.

I tried the LZ and Modus105s when looking at the JPX900Forged and really liked both. Albeit I only hit them very briefly and don't recall the numbers. Because I've had tendinitis in my right elbow, I went with recoil 95s. I think it was a mistake as my iron play has become very inconsistent since. Iron play was never my strength but would rate it as a solid B (for my game overall). Currently I would put it in the C/C- range (hit <50% of greens). So I played yesterday with my old irons with KBS Tour 120s and was back to the B level of iron play (hit 70% of the greens). I'm not sure if the shaft is just too light or what. I know 25g is only 5 nickles but maybe it's just that I'm used to the 120s. Talked to my wife about swapping them and she suggested that I should wait until after my fitting (the voice of reason). Can an iron shaft be too light?

YES. When I found the right shaft the one thing I immediately noticed was tighter dispersion. There was also this "buttery" feeling that I had just never felt before. There's no other word to describe the feeling of the shaft unloading perfectly to me, it just feels as smooth as butter. :-)

I tried the LZ and Modus105s when looking at the JPX900Forged and really liked both. Albeit I only hit them very briefly and don't recall the numbers. Because I've had tendinitis in my right elbow, I went with recoil 95s. I think it was a mistake as my iron play has become very inconsistent since. Iron play was never my strength but would rate it as a solid B (for my game overall). Currently I would put it in the C/C- range (hit <50% of greens). So I played yesterday with my old irons with KBS Tour 120s and was back to the B level of iron play (hit 70% of the greens). I'm not sure if the shaft is just too light or what. I know 25g is only 5 nickles but maybe it's just that I'm used to the 120s. Talked to my wife about swapping them and she suggested that I should wait until after my fitting (the voice of reason). Can an iron shaft be too light?

YES. When I found the right shaft the one thing I immediately noticed was tighter dispersion. There was also this "buttery" feeling that I had just never felt before. There's no other word to describe the feeling of the shaft unloading perfectly to me, it just feels as smooth as butter. :-)

I know the feeling your talking about and I get that with the KBS tours. I got get that with Recoils but only on occasion - there are times where it feels (for lack of better term) whippy. Kinda like everything has to be timed up just right.

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

So after thinking about this further - is it likely the shaft that is giving me lower spin numbers, or the head? Or a combination of both?

I shot a note to my fitter asking him for the trackman data from hitting the C-Tapers and Project X LZ too so I can get a sense of their performance.

In short, both. I'm not a fitter but from my experiences in several fittings of my own I found the bigger difference in performance was the shaft, not the head. C-Tapers in general were designed for low spin. I swing the 125 S+ because it helped me lower my flight and spin. I think the S400 probably was the best fit for you.

There's one other major piece to these numbers that we haven't talked about at all so far. How good was the ball struck? I've seen countless videos from Mark Crossfield about this and he has made it crystal clear to me that the quality of the strike dictates these numbers far more than a different head will.

Yeah, the LZ was new to me as well. All three shafts felt pretty similar to me overall - C-Taper 120's (maybe 125's...can't recall for sure), Project X LZ, and S400 Tour. If I had to pick one based on feel alone, it probably would have been the C-Taper...maybe lol. They were all really similar to me, and I wouldn't complain to have any of them in my bag.

I think there was too much focus on ball speed during this portion of my fitting, as the S400 was the only shaft that was able to produce ball speeds over 130mph. IIRC, the highest I got with the other shafts was 127mph. It's not like I'm really hurting for distance overall, so I wish I had known what I know now to do a better evaluation of the shafts.

This is where I think the ball speed actually does matter for what you're looking for. If you're getting higher ball speeds that tells me that the shaft is likely unloading properly and more than likely is the one that best fits you over the others.

Ok, so let's say the shaft is correct, do I need to explore other heads then to get my spin numbers up? I did feel like I was swinging the club pretty well that day, so the quality of strike was there.

Thanks again for the help! Your input has been awesome!

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

Ok, so let's say the shaft is correct, do I need to explore other heads then to get my spin numbers up? I did feel like I was swinging the club pretty well that day, so the quality of strike was there.

Thanks again for the help! Your input has been awesome!

Yes, that's what I would be looking for. That titleist got you about where you should be. There are plenty of other options out there though.

I'm glad I could help.

Not to derail the ongoing fitting conversation, but I have a question. Has anyone been to Swingers bar down in Lone Tree? With the weekend forecast not being promising for any outdoor golf, I was considering going to play a round of simulator golf instead. I've never been there, but it seems pretty straightforward. However, if I go, it's going to be for one thing only: golf. I don't want to socialize. I don't want to order food or drinks. I just want to pay my $30 for an hour of use, and be left alone to play possibly two speedy rounds of golf.

Not to derail the ongoing fitting conversation, but I have a question. Has anyone been to Swingers bar down in Lone Tree? With the weekend forecast not being promising for any outdoor golf, I was considering going to play a round of simulator golf instead. I've never been there, but it seems pretty straightforward. However, if I go, it's going to be for one thing only: golf. I don't want to socialize. I don't want to order food or drinks. I just want to pay my $30 for an hour of use, and be left alone to play possibly two speedy rounds of golf.

I know seven dewey goes there every once in a while.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

$20/hour at Park Hill in their sims. That may be a little too far north for you, but food for thought.

$20/hour at Park Hill in their sims. That may be a little too far north for you, but food for thought.

That's not too far at all. I live just off Colfax, so it's pretty darn close.

Their website is confusing though. No mention of simulators at all. They also talk about their driving range as being "night-lit", yet they say the range closes at sunset? Why would they need to light up their driving range if it's closed? They need to fix/update their website.

That's not too far at all. I live just off Colfax, so it's pretty darn close.

Their website is confusing though. No mention of simulators at all. They also talk about their driving range as being "night-lit", yet they say the range closes at sunset? Why would they need to light up their driving range if it's closed? They need to fix/update their website.

Yeah, the site has always been atrocious. Range closes at sunset. I think what they're getting at is that IF you hit off of mats under the awning, you could technically(?) hit at night.

Regardless, sims exist! They have five bays. The guy who used to run APG links off of Parker Rd. sold them some bays or runs his business out of Park Hill now. A little more expensive than he used to be (and a few less bays), but I suspect that's why he ended up relocating in the first place. $20/hour, and you're surrounded by folks who are there for the same reason, I suspect. Haven't had a chance to use them yet at Park Hill, but APG was always fun when I went out that way.

If we don't get snow I have tee times with my buddies both days this weekend - and if it's not too cold. If not playing, will be putting stuff up on BST (need to take picture etc).

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

Swingers is pretty cool. The sim does a good job picking up shot shapes and whatnot. Only problem with it IMO is putting is near impossible to do well. You have to set the gimme range to like 12 feet, bc making putts is a total crapshoot. Otherwise I found it pretty realistic.

TM M4 10.5 Mitsubishi Rayon Tensei White 70X
Callaway Rogue 4 wood Hzrdus Yellow 6.5
TM Stage 2 tour hybrid 22* Altus 85X
SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

Swingers is pretty cool. The sim does a good job picking up shot shapes and whatnot. Only problem with it IMO is putting is near impossible to do well. You have to set the gimme range to like 12 feet, bc making putts is a total crapshoot. Otherwise I found it pretty realistic.

I've used the bays at Swingers many times. It's a good time, but I personally have a hard time hitting in bays cause of my flat swing. With the driver I tend to hit the back wall far too often. But if you plan on going on a weekend, make a reservation far in advance as they are almost always full

Edit: yes make sure to set the putting to 12' gimmies because it really speeds up the round.

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]

How much snow did you guys end up getting?

Black Bear likely has 3-4". I live off of 5 and 6. Hopefully all melted by the weekend...

Thanks dan, we got over 13" up here in Nebraska, so if I want to play next week I'll have to head south.

Wow...I think they were just predicting a dusting here, but we did get more than that. No a whole lot more. Nothing some warmer temps and the sun can't handle in a couple of days. Looks like high 50's again by Friday...

How much snow did you guys end up getting?

Black Bear likely has 3-4". I live off of 5 and 6. Hopefully all melted by the weekend...

Thanks dan, we got over 13" up here in Nebraska, so if I want to play next week I'll have to head south.

Wow...I think they were just predicting a dusting here, but we did get more than that. No a whole lot more. Nothing some warmer temps and the sun can't handle in a couple of days. Looks like high 50's again by Friday...

Yeah, I think they predicted 8" for us. And we're lucky at 13". 60 miles east and 30 miles west, both have just short of 24"! And it's a balmy 2* this morning, that's going to help with our melting!

Really want to just chip and putt around today, but no idea where. I drove up to Commonground (just a few blocks from my house), and there is still snow on the practice green.

My last resort might be to buy some practice balls and chip around in my dirt of a backyard.

Sounds like you need some turf back there. Putting green and chipping area, maybe?

If you want to see a sweet backyard setup, there is a house just south of the Bluffs Regional Park Trail in Lone Tree. You can see it from the trail.

https://www.google.c...6!4d-104.895343

From the satellite image you can see the light green area just north of the house is the putting green with bunker. That little circle up and to the left is place to hit longer wedge shots into the green. I swear the owner had 2-3 more tee areas in various parts of the backyard.

I also had a former co-worker who lived on a few acres in Bennett. He built his own driving range.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

Went and got fitted at D'Lance over a couple Saturdays recently. Pretty happy with my titleist irons so we're going to reshaft them with the proper shaft. Amazing how much my numbers jumped on the trackman. Shifting from the TIX100's (which I only played because that's what everyone plays, right?) to a C-Taper parallels. I thought the overall cost was quite expensive but I'm curious to see how they work on the course. Good luck with all the fittings that have been going on at Club Champion!

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5