Callaway GBB Epic and Epic Sub Zero: Drivers and Fairways

zakkozuchowski

Can someone point me to a matrix that explains the callaway adjustment sleeve? I got an epic sub zero and want to dial it in. I made the mistake of flushing it at the range over and over, then I thought, maybe if I lower the flight a bit......we'll I forgot to see what it was set at to begin with....dang it, I changed the settings and didn't hit it as good....!

The standard setting is S and N. So I'm guessing that you started there . I took a couple of pics of the card that came with the tool .

Contents of bag subject to change...frequently 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Demo the GBB Epiq SZ today, was not able to get spin below 3000rpm, closes i got was with the fujikura pro 62 x-stiff which got me to the 3000 rpm mark. any idea on a lower spin shaft? was using the 9 degree head set to -1.

Faulty monitor?

Hi I HAVE had the sz 10.5 and the epic 9.5 , sz 3 wood for 2 weeks now and over 10 games.I AM 90 MPH ; 7 HDCP and switch around rogue io and rogue silver in the drivers.I am coming from a xr 16 9 degree. ASK AWAY ! I have hit every possible combo.The epics regardless are 7- 8 yards longer for me. Best dispersion is io in the SZ..

THE SZ HAS THE HIGHEST MOI =FORGIVENESS.

Is the SZ head that much more fade bias than the regular epic head like everyone is saying?

I think the flatter lie makes it draw less in the neutral lie position.

could be a faulty monitor, will try another location to verify.

Can someone point me to a matrix that explains the callaway adjustment sleeve? I got an epic sub zero and want to dial it in. I made the mistake of flushing it at the range over and over, then I thought, maybe if I lower the flight a bit......we'll I forgot to see what it was set at to begin with....dang it, I changed the settings and didn't hit it as good....!

There is a youtube video

To my surprise, I received an email from UPS this morning notifying me of a delivery scheduled for tomorrow, from Callaway De Mexico Sa De Cv. Package weight is 4.8 pounds. Is that heavy enough for my SZ driver and SZ 3 wood?

Ordered a week ago from Discount Dan's, fully expected to not receive until the 27th due to the release date being then. Warmer weather here later in the week (Illinois) so hoping I'll be able to hit it on course next weekend.

In the Bag:

Driver: 10.5 Epic Speed Graphite Design AD-ITZ 60

Fairway Wood: 15 Epic Speed Graphite Design AD-ITZ 70

Fairway Wood: 19 Epic Flash Tensei Blue 75

Irons: Apex Pro '19 4-AW, Aerotech Steelfiber 95

Wedges: 54 MD4 and 58 '19 PM Grind 

Grips: Tour Velvet Jumbo

Putter: Odyssey MXM 9 HT

Balls: Chrome soft Triple Track

Hi I HAVE had the sz 10.5 and the epic 9.5 , sz 3 wood for 2 weeks now and over 10 games.I AM 90 MPH ; 7 HDCP and switch around rogue io and rogue silver in the drivers.I am coming from a xr 16 9 degree. ASK AWAY ! I have hit every possible combo.The epics regardless are 7- 8 yards longer for me. Best dispersion is io in the SZ..

THE SZ HAS THE HIGHEST MOI =FORGIVENESS.

Is the SZ head that much more fade bias than the regular epic head like everyone is saying?

The EPIC Sub Zero like my F6+ Pro (in fwd weight setting) is very fade biased which is a great thing for me and other happy hookers

To my surprise, I received an email from UPS this morning notifying me of a delivery scheduled for tomorrow, from Callaway De Mexico Sa De Cv. Package weight is 4.8 pounds. Is that heavy enough for my SZ driver and SZ 3 wood?

Ordered a week ago from Discount Dan's, fully expected to not receive until the 27th due to the release date being then. Warmer weather here later in the week (Illinois) so hoping I'll be able to hit it on course next weekend.

Probably them. I ordered mine early last week and my guy got the shipping notification on Thursday. I expect a lot of us to have them early this week.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 9 Mitsubishi Kai'li white 70TX 

Titleist TSI 16.5 Mitsubishi PD 80TX

Titleist TSR 2 24 Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Ping i230 U-4 x100

Ping s159 55 H x100

Vokey LBK s400 

Went through a exhaustive demo of drivers today. Launch and spin numbers were similar (12 degrees, 2100 rpm, +0.5 AoA up, path -1.0 degree) Draws had -200 rpm spin, fades were +400). The key for me on these are mostly sound, feel, and ball speed)

Currently play Titleist 915D4 9.5 (D4-lefty) Rogue 125 70TX - Ball Speed 165 with 168 max, (loudest)

Titleist 917D3 9.5 (gamer shaft) - Ball Speed 162 with 166 max (2nd loudest)

Taylor Made M1 2016 9.5 (Weight front and center) Hzrdous Yellow 75X - Ball Speed 166 with 169 max (similar to 913 sound)

Taylor Made M1 2017 9.5 (Weight front and center) Hzrdous Yellow 75X - Ball Speed 164 with 166 max (similar to 913 sound)

Callaway Sub Zero 9.0 (12g weight in front) Rouge Max 75X - Ball Speed 167 with 170 max (most muted somewhere between Nike Flex and Nike Pro)

I eliminated the first couple swings with each to get used to the swing weight differences and tried to go back to my gamer between switching drivers. Yardage was 321 with the max in the Callaway while the 917 was 302. The Callaway was the only to average over 300. M1 2016 would be the best value by far. If I was going to switch to gain 2 mph which amounts to 6 yards. I should really focus on getting my launch higher, but I thought another numbers post would reflect better the differences between models. Given the shots that weren't reflected from each club it's worth saying that strike is still king and others may not center the club on their best swings. I wanted to post a large sample size of equivalent strikes while also limiting to a single demo experience. This is as fair a compellation that I could put together given my limitation in equipment and endurance.

Titleist 915 D4 Aldila Rogue 125 70TX
3 wood PXG 341 True Temper HZRDUS 75X
2 iron 716 TMB TTDG AMT X100
4-9 Epon AF-302 TTDG AMT ti X100
Vokey 46F, 50F, 54S, 60L TTDG ti S400
SC Circle T 009 Brushed Black Pearl 350g

How much distance gain are you guys getting from driver n fairways..realistically

Not all out distance gain, but it seems like the clubs are slightly more forgiving. Also, when you button one with this club it's almost like hitting a forged blade perfectly. It feels outstanding and makes you want to do it again. I believe you'll hit the solid longer ball more consistently with these offerings. Misses aren't as bad.

How much distance gain are you guys getting from driver n fairways..realistically

I did not gain any as the best combo epic/chrome soft did not beat the m2/TP5X...

most distance gains you are seeing are from better launch conditions. Heck I saw a callaway rep boost about the epic on his social media and the yards gained. When all he did was take a driver that was not fit (3200rpms of spin) and cut that to 2300 and now it's magic!

Get fit bottom line, if your driver is not ideal you will see a gain. If you are already dialed in, enjoy the 500$ waste (any manufacture, not just callaway...)

New Bag in the making...

I did not gain any as the best combo epic/chrome soft did not beat the m2/TP5X...

most distance gains you are seeing are from better launch conditions. Heck I saw a callaway rep boost about the epic on his social media and the yards gained. When all he did was take a driver that was not fit (3200rpms of spin) and cut that to 2300 and now it's magic!

Get fit bottom line, if your driver is not ideal you will see a gain. If you are already dialed in, enjoy the 500$ waste (any manufacture, not just callaway...)

I am qurious: Is there any thought behind testing the Epic and the M2 with two different balls?

Thanks

no jailbreak in the fairways

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

I got to hit both models yesterday, The GC2 was acting odd or I took extra HGH with my coffee. My s/s is 104-105 mid season and I haven't played since mid October. I avg'd 107 with the SZ/Max 75X, had 2 balls at 110mph which I haven't hit in a LONG time but why I think the GC2 was way off:

I am a SUPER low spinner of the ball and struggle to get above 2500 with these modern drivers. With the Max 65S/Epic 9* I was seeing 3800-4200 spin. With the SZ 9*/Max 75x I was seeing mid 3k and only one shot was 2350. The smash factor was SUPER low and the carry #'s showed. I didn't crack 247 carry with a 109 s/s. I tried the new M1 and saw the same thing, real low smash factor and real high spin.

I LOVED the feel/look of the SZ/75X combo, I never really liked the previous Rogue MSI shafts but I liked this Max 75X alot! I am going to try the combo again at another store and see what the real #'s are.

Callaway B21 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70S (Callaway RFE 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70s backup)
RFE 16.5* 4 wood Diamana Kai'Li 80S
RFE 21.5* 7 wood UST V2 Tour 86gr
Apex 4/Apex Pro 5-PW H45 heads Aerotech i110
Callaway MD3 52-10/58-09 S Grind
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 2016

Instagram Link
https://www.instagram.com/michaelfrederickphotography/?hl=en
[twitter]BigDudeGuy72[/twitter]

I got to hit both models yesterday, The GC2 was acting odd or I took extra HGH with my coffee. My s/s is 104-105 mid season and I haven't played since mid October. I avg'd 107 with the SZ/Max 75X, had 2 balls at 110mph which I haven't hit in a LONG time but why I think the GC2 was way off:

I am a SUPER low spinner of the ball and struggle to get above 2500 with these modern drivers. With the Max 65S/Epic 9* I was seeing 3800-4200 spin. With the SZ 9*/Max 75x I was seeing mid 3k and only one shot was 2350. The smash factor was SUPER low and the carry #'s showed. I didn't crack 247 carry with a 109 s/s. I tried the new M1 and saw the same thing, real low smash factor and real high spin.

I LOVED the feel/look of the SZ/75X combo, I never really liked the previous Rogue MSI shafts but I liked this Max 75X alot! I am going to try the combo again at another store and see what the real #'s are.

Talked to Cally and this Max is the mid kick mid tip version hence the best feeling version but still midlow spin. I didnt think it was going to be good but tested it and for some reason it has very high ballspeeds even with more spin....It may need to be tipped but its a winner in both max models it seems.

Also the Epics are NOT super low spin relative to what was expected - the regular epic is lowish spin and the SZ is low but not M1 weight front 2016 low or M1 440 low.

Smashfactor is HIGH on these tho with weight and neck set properly (SZ) and these launch high to loft for sure so shaft is important to pick, do your research.

I ordered one immediately and should be here soon but after 4 testing sessions with my gamer Ive found a few things:

1.Dont know why but the misses with this club are heel (???!!!!??!!) dont get it

2.Launches high to loft for whats expected (both models) with SZ launching lower

3.Ball wants to go straight with these, if you play a power cut this IS your new driver as for some reason it is straighter on baby cuts/draws

4.Spin on these is overrated, they both can be beat for spin with M1 and tied with Cobra

5.Ballspeed claims are yes.....EXAGGERATED on clean centered shots - what ive found is 2-3MAX but 3-4 on the just missed shots that were also straight, leading to overall more consistent distance. Harder to market that truth for them but thats what they shouldve said instead of acting like everyone gains 40. Straighter and longer good for good in a large to mid sample size for sure fit for fit.

6. M2 2016 good for good is right there with (SZ) ballspeed but wlider(much) dispersion and higher launch.

7. The Std Epic is almost magical for sub 102 speeds that fight a fade = straighter and consistently deep. I think this is ideal for the Ping G draw player and M2 player who fights that M2 fade

Ignore the SS especially with GC2. Many people do get bogged down with SS when all that really matters is Ball speeds. Though, to be fair, the spin rate numbers do seem a bit iffy!

Talked to Cally and this Max is the mid kick mid tip version hence the best feeling version but still midlow spin. I didnt think it was going to be good but tested it and for some reason it has very high ballspeeds even with more spin....It may need to be tipped but its a winner in both max models it seems.

Also the Epics are NOT super low spin relative to what was expected - the regular epic is lowish spin and the SZ is low but not M1 weight front 2016 low or M1 440 low.

Smashfactor is HIGH on these tho with weight and neck set properly (SZ) and these launch high to loft for sure so shaft is important to pick, do your research.

I ordered one immediately and should be here soon but after 4 testing sessions with my gamer Ive found a few things:

1.Dont know why but the misses with this club are heel (???!!!!??!!) dont get it

Maybe I'm stating the obvious but have you always played a 45.5" shaft? My driver right now is 44.5" so that definitely would be a big adjustment for me.

"We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time." 

Mizuno JPX 900 Driver w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Mizuno JPX 900 3W, 5W w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Titleist AP3 4, 5 irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Titleist AP2 6 - GW irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Callaway Jaws Tour Grey 54S & 58x w/ Project X LZ 6.0O

Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Tour Lined
Shapland Stand Bag 2.3

Clicgear 4.0

Just hit the Epic SZ 9* Aldila Max and loved it. Like some others said, every shot feels nutted! I was seeing a few mph increase over the M1 like I was using. What I saw was more consistent drives with a baby fade. The feel is so much better than any TM driver right now. I was seeing my longest drives with the SZ.

I did try the Stock Fuji shaft and did not like it and increased spin by several hundred rpm. Also tried a 10.5 and did not like it. I was launching the SZ 9* N/S setting with the Aldila Max at 13/14* and 2500 rpm (good for me).

Glad I already blindly ordered the Epic SZ 9* Fujikura 665 Evo II TS. That will bring the launch and spin down a hair more than today. Great new driver for 2017. Can't wait to get tracking info on it....

TM Stealth2+ 10.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Was able to try the epic and sub zero today at club champion with a tour rogue 125 stiff. The sub zero had some really low spin rates for me ranging from 1700-2200 while the epic had 1900-2600. I was just trying them out because I had some time to waste. I was hooking the ball which for me doesn't happen. The heads felt heavy to me and both faces felt as though I was hitting a prov1x with a piece of wood. I didn't really like them but I'll try again another time when I'm warmed up. Gamer is pxg with the tour rogue 125. I will say epic was slightly faster as I hit 105 on SS. Im usually 102-103.

Just hit the Epic SZ 9* Aldila Max and loved it. Like some others said, every shot feels nutted! I was seeing a few mph increase over the M1 like I was using. What I saw was more consistent drives with a baby fade. The feel is so much better than any TM driver right now. I was seeing my longest drives with the SZ.

I did try the Stock Fuji shaft and did not like it and increased spin by several hundred rpm. Also tried a 10.5 and did not like it. I was launching the SZ 9* N/S setting with the Aldila Max at 13/14* and 2500 rpm (good for me).

Glad I already blindly ordered the Epic SZ 9* Fujikura 665 Evo II TS. That will bring the launch and spin down a hair more than today. Great new driver for 2017. Can't wait to get tracking info on it....

Do you mind sharing your driving speed? I think I read elsewhere you are around me. Might help with shaft selection. Also are you a higher ball hitter or lower?

Do you mind sharing your driving speed? I think I read elsewhere you are around me. Might help with shaft selection. Also are you a higher ball hitter or lower?

I have been working on my swing and saw the last two times at PGA SS around 103-104 and some to 106. Last year I was around 99-101. I am usually a high ball hitter due to a flip, but trying to be more penetrating lately. I am a Fuji guy all the way and know that the 665 Evo II TS works for me because extensively tested it in the XR 16 Pro head and loved the feel of it. I know that a Speeder 661 EVO TS tipped 1" from Taylormade was too much for me. Just FYI.

Hope this helps. Oh yea, TM guy also and (for me) this driver is so much better for me than the 2016 M1 and M2.

TM Stealth2+ 10.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Maybe I'm stating the obvious but have you always played a 45.5" shaft? My driver right now is 44.5" so that definitely would be a big adjustment for me.

You are correct in the longer shaft, but I did choke down...may still have been a factor.

My Cobra F6+ Pro pig dog is longer and less spinny than the Epic SZ set up I have bought but the dispersion on the Cobra is ridiculous... had some shots today (hitting 4 balls per hole) that were 35 yds apart on what felt like great strikes...

The tests I did with Epic SZ had similar dispersion (great) with my XR16 but with way less spin, 2.2 mph ball speed gains and yada yada yada

I will report back when I get my club on course

I have been working on my swing and saw the last two times at PGA SS around 103-104 and some to 106. Last year I was around 99-101. I am usually a high ball hitter due to a flip, but trying to be more penetrating lately. I am a Fuji guy all the way and know that the 665 Evo II TS works for me because extensively tested it in the XR 16 Pro head and loved the feel of it. I know that a Speeder 661 EVO TS tipped 1" from Taylormade was too much for me. Just FYI.

Hope this helps. Oh yea, TM guy also and (for me) this driver is so much better for me than the 2016 M1 and M2.

Is that 665 a "made for"? Also is that low/mid spin and mid launch?

Feck I forgot to alter my shaft back to 45" on my Epic SZ order... choking down it will be then

Just cut it down, easy fix!

Callaway National Fitters Board/Adidas Staff/UST Mamiya Advisory Staff
AI Smoke Max - Lin-Q M40X Blue 
AI Smoke Max 3W - Lin-Q M40X Red
AI Smoke Max 5W - Lin-Q M40X White
Apex UW - Lin-Q M40X White
Apex Pro 24 5-8, CB 9-11 - Recoil Dart 105
JAWS Raw 54W,60Z - Recoil Wedge Proto 110
Toulon Le Mans - UST All-In
Chrome Tour

My Cobra F6+ Pro pig dog is longer and less spinny than the Epic SZ set up I have bought but the dispersion on the Cobra is ridiculous... had some shots today (hitting 4 balls per hole) that were 35 yds apart on what felt like great strikes...

The tests I did with Epic SZ had similar dispersion (great) with my XR16 but with way less spin, 2.2 mph ball speed gains and yada yada yada

I will report back when I get my club on course

Agree on overall tightness fantastic misses and great overall speed. But only buy for overall performance for if you buy for ballspeed disappointment will soon follow....I like mine tho.